Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sword Stained With Royal Blood: Feats Compilation

Default Sword Stained With Royal Blood: Feats Compilation

I'm about half way done with the novel.
    Along the way I took notes on feats.
    So here is a list of what I found interesting so far.
    Will add more as I discover them.
    By the way, the purpose of doing this is to assess the martial arts level of this era.

Vertical Leap
    In DGSD, Xuzhu was said to have leaped several zhang upward while grabbing onto Tianshan Tonglao and Li Qiushui (by the way, if anyone can tell me EXACTLY how high he leaped, I would appreciate it). In SSWRB, there are 2 notable instances: Priest Musang leaped up over 2 zhang high, while Yuan Chengzhi leaped up 3 zhang high.

Crushing Weight
    Previously, I noted that Xiao Feng had the distinct showcase of casting a weight of several thousand pounds on an opponent. But now, this record has been broken. Yuan Chengzhi apparently cast a weight of TEN thousand pounds on Cui Ximin: 刚跨出两步,忽见眼前人影一晃,有人举掌向自己肩头按来。崔希敏横刀便砍。那人这一按快极,倏然间已搭上他 肩头。崔希敏身子登如万斤之重,再也跨不出步去
    By the way, just to clear any doubt, all this "thousands of pounds" talk, it's all figurative expression, not to be taken literally. But i just post this for fun, and to show that it's not shabby, even if we can't gauge the exact weight imposed.

Sealing of Acupoints (SOA)
    Apparently, one whose acupoint has been sealed by Huashan martial arts, must be unsealed using Huashan martial arts; otherwise he will suffer many problems in life, including the blockage of urination, headaches, and internal energy loss. This is kind of a unique property of SOA.

Long Distance... something
    It may not be LDA, but it does have a good dose of palm wind. And the executor is probably only about 10% of Yuan Chengzhi's level:
    他一言不发,一掌一掌的缓缓发出,又稳又狠。阿九渐觉不妙,被对方掌风逼得娇喘连连,身法已不如先前迅捷。 ... 出手虽慢,阿九却总是脱不出他掌风的笼罩之下。

Tossing of Bodies
    Yuan Chengzhi tossed a body to a distance of 7 to 8 zhang away:
    一声未毕,后心已被袁承志抓住,一扬手处,那大汉当真是高飞远走,在空中划了个弧形,落在七八丈外一株大树 顶上

Inserting Spear Into Pillar
    Previously, a comparison was made to show that Yang Guo and Xiao Feng can both drive spears deep into solid surface. Now, Yuan Chengzhi has shown that he too is not shabby in this field:
    袁承志喝道:”瞧着!”两戟脱手飞出,激射面前,分别钉入厅上的两根粗柱,戟刃直透柱身。

He drove the halberds deeply into a large pillar.

Jumping Across the Ocean
    Shi Potian is the best known ocean leaper in Jin Yong universe. Of course, what he really did was leap off a boat and land on a piece of wooden flank that he threw across the water. But since we're talking about jumping across the ocean, I just want people to know, that Rong Cai from "Sword Stained With Royal Blood" also performed a qualifying ocean leap:

双足一顿,提气向岸上跃去 ... 荣彩下落时见足底茫茫一片水光,正自惊惶,突见船板飞到,恰好落在脚下水面之上,当真大喜过望,左脚在船板 上一借力。跃上了岸

Not only did Rong Cai land on the wooden flank, he used it as the middle station for a longer leap to the land.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Wait a second...

What is 1 zhang in today's measurements? I always through qinggong can propel the user pretty high up into the sky; at least up rooftops or even more. The sound of 2 zhang, 3 zhang doesn't sound too impressive.

1 zhang is roughly 10 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Holy poop! That's pretty wide a distance to jump 30 feet. And that's only Yuan Chengzhi during the end of the Ming Dynasty. Imagine what the Greats can achieve

I thought of a feat that is in SSWRB and is comparable with DGSD. Yuan Chengzhi has got to be the best fighter(?) of his era and he's only in his early twenties. He didn't find any super powerful manual like BMSG or 6MSJ either. He only found the Golden Snake Swordsman Manual and his natural talent kicks in from there. Is his achievement in martial arts talent comparable to Xiao Feng?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Holy poop! That's pretty wide a distance to jump 30 feet. And that's only Yuan Chengzhi during the end of the Ming Dynasty. Imagine what the Greats can achieve
    Actually, vertical leaping is one category that seems to max out at around 50 feet. At least, I don't recall ever seeing anyone who jumped over 50 feet high. But, it will be interesting to see more statistics from Song and Yuan dynasties.

I thought of a feat that is in SSWRB and is comparable with DGSD. Yuan Chengzhi has got to be the best fighter(?) of his era and he's only in his early twenties. He didn't find any super powerful manual like BMSG or 6MSJ either. He only found the Golden Snake Swordsman Manual and his natural talent kicks in from there. Is his achievement in martial arts talent comparable to Xiao Feng?
    Yuan Chengzhi had a similar case as Xiao Feng.
    He received excellent instructions at a young age.
    At around age 10, he became the official disciple of Mu Renqing, the #1 martial artist of the era.
    At the same time, he received instructions from Priest Musang, whose lightness kung fu was unparalleled.
    In addition, he bumped into Golden Snake Prince Xia Yueyi's martial arts, but those were not as sophisticated as his learnings from Musang and Mu Renqing (stated by Jin Yong).
    You can say that he had an excellent foundation very early, just like Xiao Feng.

After about 10 years (I don't remember the exact time he spent on Huashan), Yuan Chengzhi left Huashan for the first time. His internal energy was quite a bit weaker than Gui Xingshu, but he made up for it with more variety of skills.

Excluding the late Qing dynasty novels where internal energy is nearly unaccounted for, Yuan Chengzhi is one of the few Jin Yong protagonists whose technique excelled more than his internal energy, along with Linghu Chong.

Hey,

I remember in BXJ07 there were Westerners who gave Yuan Chengzhi a map of some islands that they passed on their way to China. Was there ever a mention of this in the book? Could that island be present-day Taiwan?!

Actually, vertical leaping is one category that seems to max out at around 50 feet. At least, I don't recall ever seeing anyone who jumped over 50 feet high.
    Horizontal leaping was stated as 50 feet in DGSD. I don't recall JY stating a vertical leap limit.

Xu Zhu jumped about 1 zhang in excess of the palace wall while carrying Ice + 2 bodies. But as usual, we don't know how high the wall was and he could only utilise 30-40% of his energy at that time I suppose.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

one zhang is about 3.3 metres and three zhang is about 10 metres. metric measurements.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Hey,

I remember in BXJ07 there were Westerners who gave Yuan Chengzhi a map of some islands that they passed on their way to China. Was there ever a mention of this in the book? Could that island be present-day Taiwan?!
    If it's early in the story, then no, it didn't happen.
    If later in the story, I haven't gotten to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Horizontal leaping was stated as 50 feet in DGSD. I don't recall JY stating a vertical leap limit.
    Jin Yong may not have specifically said the max is 50 feet for vertical leaping.
    I've just never seen anyone who jumped more than 50 feet high.

Hey,

Yup yup. From Ch. 13

"閣下如此豪杰,我有一件東西相贈。”

袁承志打開布包一看,見是一張折疊著的厚紙,攤了開來,原來是一 幅地圖,圖中所繪的似是大海中的一座島嶼,圖上注了許多彎彎曲曲的文字。

彼得道:“這是南方海上的一座大島,離開海岸有一千多里。島上氣候溫暖,物產丰富,真如天堂一樣。我航海時 到過那里。”袁承志問道:“你給我這圖是甚麼意思?”彼得道:“你們在這里很是辛苦,不如帶了中國沒飯吃的 受苦百姓,都到那島上去。”袁承志暗暗好笑,心道:“你這外國人心地倒好,只不過我們中國有多大,億萬之眾 ,憑你再大的島也居住不下。”問道:“這島上沒人住麼?”彼得道:“有時有西班牙的海盜,有時沒有。你們這 樣的英雄好漢,也不會怕那些該死的西班牙海盜。”

Here's a rough translation:
    [BiDe [Peter] addressing YCZ] "You are such a hero. I have an item that I would like to give you."

Yuan Chengzi opened the cloth bundle to take a look and saw that inside was a thick folded paper. Unfolding it, he saw that it was actually a map, and what was drawn appeared to be an island in the middle of the ocean. Some curvy characters were annotated on the map.

Peter said, "This is an island in the eastern ocean and is situated more than one thousand li from the seacoast. The island has a warm climate, and it is plentiful; truly it is like heaven. I have been there before when I sailed the seas."

Yuan Chengzi asked, "What intention do you have in giving me this map?"

Peter: "It is very difficult for all of you here. Why don't you bring all the common people of China who have nothing to eat to this island?"

Yuan Chengzi laughed secretly as he thought, "Foreigner, your heart is quite kind, but our country, China, is so large with millions and millions of people. A much bigger island would still not be large enough to live on." He asked, "There is no one living on this island?"

Peter answered, "Sometimes there are Spanish pirates, sometimes there are none. Heroes and good men like you will not be afraid of those d*mn Spanish pirates."

As to speculations on whether it could be Taiwan, I'm not a geography expert, so I'll leave that to someone else. One li is 0.5 km, though. Is Taiwan 500+ km away from the mainland? Wikipedia says it "lies 120 km off the SE coast of mainland China."

Hope that helps. Glad to see some discussion on BXJ.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 02-25-08 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks to Hoju! for the wonderful translation. Chances are, it's Taiwan. Why I think so? Isn't Taiwan where some Hans escaped to when the Manchus too over?

Is there any real reason why the chinese title is BI XUE JIAN? BI XUE means forcing-blood or something along those lines but the only unordinary sword in this book is the Golden Snake Sword. So should the title JIN SHE JIAN make more sense?

Is there any real reason why the chinese title is BI XUE JIAN? BI XUE means forcing-blood or something along those lines but the only unordinary sword in this book is the Golden Snake Sword. So should the title JIN SHE JIAN make more sense?
    The 'Bi' actually refers to bluish green, if I am not mistaken. I am bad with colours.

Thanks to Hoju! for the wonderful translation. Chances are, it's Taiwan. Why I think so? Isn't Taiwan where some Hans escaped to when the Manchus too over?
    No. The island is not Taiwan. The answer is found in the 2nd half of the novel, so I won't spoil it for now ... well, at least not for PJ.

The Chinese characters for BI XUE are 碧血.
    They are not 逼血, which is what it would be if it meant "forcing blood".

碧血 (the correct characters) come from the story 苌弘化碧 or Chang Hong Turns Into Jade (Get the full story in Chinese here). Basically, 碧血 is used to describe and/or portray steadfastness and loyalty to one's country and/or king unto death.

JIN SHE JIAN doesn't really fit as a title for the novel, because the story is not about the sword per se, even though the sword plays an important role.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 02-26-08 at 05:39 AM.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Jin Yong may not have specifically said the max is 50 feet for vertical leaping.
    I've just never seen anyone who jumped more than 50 feet high.
    You wanna check HSDS for heights jumped by people using the 梯云纵 technique?
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    You wanna check HSDS for heights jumped by people using the 梯云纵 technique?
    I shudder to think that it could be more than 50 feet.
    But, you sure got me curious now.

The island is. . .I better not say. . .

All I can hint is that it has an "e" in it.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Doesn't that technique use more than one step though and used for scaling sheer surfaces like cliffs and walls?

I think we're talking about a standing jump straight up from a flat surface.

New feat: it seems that Cheng Qingzhu, a fighter at approximately 10% to 20% of Yuan Chengzhi's level, was able to partially melt gold. What he did exactly, is use his internal energy to "glue" together 10+ gold coins. In my opinion, to do so, he must have softened the gold coins, and then harden them.

Here is the exact text:

若克琳一面笑,一面咭咭咯咯的大说葡语,定要给她。程青竹伸手接过,将十多块金洋叠成一叠,双掌用力在两端抵住,运起内力,过了一阵,将金币还给若克琳。若克琳接了过来,想再交给青青,一拿上手,不觉大吃一惊,原来十多枚金币已互相粘住,结成一条圆柱,竟然拉不开来,不禁睁大了圆圆的眼睛,喃喃说道:“东方人真是神秘,真是神秘!”