Thread: Chinese characters that are specifically used for names

Default Chinese characters that are specifically used for names

I know that there are some Chinese characters (i.e. Yingying, Tingting, etc.) that are probably specifically used for names. Where can I find a list of it?

AND in this dictionary, when I search something, many words pop up. Many of them don't have a definition next to them. Are those characters specifically used for names?

Assuming that "Yingying" in the original post came from SPW's Ren Yingying, the characters used would be 盈盈.
    盈 as a character does have its definitions, viz:
    http://www.nciku.com/search/all/%E7%9B%88
    Try out all the links/tabs that are found below the line "Search results for 盈" and see the different ways the character 盈 is used. It is not simply a character used for nothing more than names.

Characters used specifically for names and nothing else are actually a whole lot fewer than those that have multiple uses. One example would be the character 洧, which is the name of a river in China.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

To my understanding, there're only 2 chinese words which were created purely for the sake of nameing; "曌" and "瞾".

Those words were created by Wu Ze Tian which she used to call her Wu Zhao[both read Zhao(1)]. These words has the same meaning as 照.

o btw, I personally discourage the use of words without meanings when u are nameing a person. Try some other online dictionary and maybe u can find a meaning other sites don't. e.g. 兲 巭 (Nciku is definitely the best Chinese/Eng Dic I came across however these words(meaning) can't be found in it.)
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Both online and print (hard-copy) dictionaries suffer from the same limitation when it comes to the range of characters (words) covered.

Print dictionaries are often compiled for specific audiences (e.g. elementary students, secondary students, general public, etc), so the range and number of characters contained therein tend to be restricted by the intended audiences.

Online dictionaries cater for a more general than specific audience (unless they are part of specific websites, such as those targetted at school-children), but they tend to be subject to the same content integrity issues that affect most websites that provide factual information for free.

However, online forums that are used by Chinese language educators can be helpful when checking out the meaning and pronunciation of little-used characters. Unfortunately, such forums tend to be entirely in Chinese, so individuals who are not well-versed in the language would probably find it a challenge to get information quickly and accurately from them.

Personally, I prefer print dictionaries. I use (various) online dictionaries for expediency purposes only.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

King of offtopic, but are there any good online Chinese dictionaries out there? The kind where you can copy and paste a character into the thingy and the meaning pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    King of offtopic, but are there any good online Chinese dictionaries out there? The kind where you can copy and paste a character into the thingy and the meaning pops up.
    Chinese-tools and Nciku are good.

http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/dictionary.html
    http://www.nciku.com/search/all/