Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII - AC, CC, DOC

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless Flower View Post
    OMG OMG! I hope it's true and if it is I am the happiest girl on the planet!

Check this link: http://electronictheatre.co.uk/index...make-green-lit
    or just read on for the digest: Square Enix has green lit the remake of Final Fantasy VII!!!!
    Judging from what's been said in the article and subsequent press releases from Squeenix I know I probably have to wait another decade or so to actually get this remake, but as long as it's being done I don'T mind. I can wait.
    I guess they're aiming for a PS4 release but it looks like they've finally emerged from their denial-phase and admitted defeat due to fan demand!
    Don't believe it until Square makes an official announcement they have started on producing the remake.

This issue has been going on in a "Yes-No-Yes-No" cycle for a long time now.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I may get tomatoes thrown at me and booed off the thread....but here is my honest opinion:

FVII was terrible and ruined the Final Fantasy series for me. SO I HOPE TO JEBUS THEY DO NOT RE-MAKE ANOTHER ONE!

I belong to the older generation of gamers who believe that gameplay and good stories trumps graphics and powerful consoles.

I will however say that FF VII did provide some interesting new game mechanics (limit breaks) and it's graphics were superior to it's predecessors (due to the PSX platform). But I didn't like the convoluded story with too many twists and the undeveloped characters who were not relatable.

If FF VII was a stand alone Square game outside of the FF series, I might have accepted it. But here are a few of my biggest gripes:

1) THERE ARE NO CRYSTALS!?!?! Every Final fantasy up to FF V had crystals. The crystals are practically the centerpiece of the series. It's like having a Chrono trigger series that didn't involve time/space continuim. Why call it a FF at all?! Just call it Adventures of Cloud-- Confused blonde boy in lifestream mako land.

2) The story seems like some guy high on crack, ecstacy, and mushrooms wrote it when he woke up in a bathtub at a frat party. It barely makes sense and seems to be a reflection of the Japanese trend to make animes/games/mangas so complicated and full of ridiculousplot twists that it's almost as if a 2 yr old made it up because the have no sense of continuity or logic.

3) It seems like they were trying a new idea but didn't want to let go of the franchise. So they squeezed in elements of the older FF series like summons, magic, an airship. But in a world where it's probably be easier if I just used guns, lazer cannons or bombs. And why are there even summons!? Are they even really relevant in such a futuristic world?

Square is obviously capable of creating new franchises such as the Chrono trigger series. They don't need to keep milking FF and creating something that probably doesn't fit the mold.

__________________________________________________ _____

The best Final fantasy is IV and VI. I personally prefer IV, but I can see why other regard VI as the best in the series. If ever they need to make a true PS3 fully blown revamped remake, it's these 2.

Don't worry, you won't be pelted with tomatoes or get booed off the board (I will however hit you with a feather ). After all, it's all about exchanging opinions here and you obvisouly know your Final Fantasy history and have played the older games too. A lot of people who slag off VII don't even know the pre-PSone editions.

However, obviously I have to disagree with you.

You describe the story as convoluted and trippy, but I consider it highly thought through and extemely gripping. It's got all the ingedients for me, the psychology, the magic, the characters and the humanity.

And the fact Squeenix lost the crystals... yes, it was a break from tradition but they more than made up for it by more human characters and an engaging story. I don't really miss the crystals (so now you might throw tomatoes at me), the series, right up to the current XIII, still has enough magic and fantastical elements for me to rightly be called Final Fantasy.

And take Crisis Core for example, that was an awesome game so it shows that Squeenix still can get something highly entertaining out of the FFVII compilation. Ok, I'm a Cloud fangirl so I don't mind them churning out another game containing my favourite blond, but surely Crisis Core and also Dissidia have garnered enough rave reviews even by the Cloud-bashers to have earned their place in the series.

I have a question for Chinese fans: I was just wondering how you would write Cloud's name in Chinese? Would you just use the character for "cloud" or would you do it like the Japanese and write it in characters that phonetically sound like the English pronounciation?

Answers are much appreciated!

FF13 actually had crystals, but they were presented differently. And FF13's crystals are a key part of the story, even if they were in the backstage. I mean, come on, FF13's party would never be able to achieve anything without those crystals.

I have a question for Chinese fans: I was just wondering how you would write Cloud's name in Chinese? Would you just use the character for "cloud" or would you do it like the Japanese and write it in characters that phonetically sound like the English pronounciation?
    The settings are so Western it will be very off if translated into Chinese. So even in Chinese characters, I will do it in the Japanese way - write it in characters that phonetically sound like the English pronunciation.

It's too late...

The series has died and turned to a shell of it's former self. Even if FF XIII had crystals, it's not quite the same as it's predecessors.

One of my biggest gripes with FF VII was the fact that it was the definitely game that changed the series forever. As I've said before, it's fine that Square makes a new RPG... but don't call it FF.

After FF VI, the spirit of FF was destryoed

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    The settings are so Western it will be very off if translated into Chinese. So even in Chinese characters, I will do it in the Japanese way - write it in characters that phonetically sound like the English pronunciation.
    Thank you for your answer, I've always wanted to know!

Could you erm... post these characters please?
    And one more question: If it's done phonetically there's probably more than one way you could write it, since there's a lot of same-sounding characters. I was wondering if there is an "official" Chinese spelling for the name, like for example games magazines or Chinese Final Fantasy forums would use? Unless even those use the English word in Western spelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    It's too late...

The series has died and turned to a shell of it's former self. Even if FF XIII had crystals, it's not quite the same as it's predecessors.

One of my biggest gripes with FF VII was the fact that it was the definitely game that changed the series forever. As I've said before, it's fine that Square makes a new RPG... but don't call it FF.

After FF VI, the spirit of FF was destryoed
    Death comes in the form of inability to change and adapt to innovations.

Did you continue to buy from FFVII onward?

Thank you for your answer, I've always wanted to know!

Could you erm... post these characters please?
    And one more question: If it's done phonetically there's probably more than one way you could write it, since there's a lot of same-sounding characters. I was wondering if there is an "official" Chinese spelling for the name, like for example games magazines or Chinese Final Fantasy forums would use? Unless even those use the English word in Western spelling?
    From Baidu Encyclopedia:

克劳德·斯特莱夫(クラウド ストライフ/Cloud Strife)
    蒂法·洛克哈特(ティファ ロックハート/Tifa Lockhart)
    艾瑞丝·盖恩斯巴勒(エアリス ゲインズブール/Aeris Gainsborough[日版为Aerith]
    尤菲·如月(ユフィ キサラギ/Yuffie Kisaragi)
    文森特·瓦伦丁(ヴィンセント ヴァレンタイン/Vincent Valentine)
    萨菲罗斯(セフィロス/Sephiroth)
    扎克斯·菲尔(ザックス/Zack·Fair)

Link: http://baike.baidu.com/view/468062.htm
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 08-03-10 at 08:53 AM.

From Baidu Encyclopedia:

克劳德·斯特莱夫(クラウド ストライフ/Cloud Strife)
    蒂法·洛克哈特(ティファ ロックハート/Tifa Lockhart)
    艾瑞丝·盖恩斯巴勒(エアリス ゲインズブール/Aeris Gainsborough[日版为Aerith]
    尤菲·如月(ユフィ キサラギ/Yuffie Kisaragi)
    文森特·瓦伦丁(ヴィンセント ヴァレンタイン/Vincent Valentine)
    萨菲罗斯(セフィロス/Sephiroth)
    扎克斯·菲尔(ザックス/Zack·Fair)

Link: http://baike.baidu.com/view/468062.htm
    Thank you so much!
    I've really been wanting to know this for years and you made me very happy!

I really want to be able to read Chinese!

By the way, for anyone who's interested... thelifestream.net have completed their production of the "Maiden Who Travels The Planet" audiobook and have posted it on their website for download as a whole (75 mins) or on youtube in 7 parts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdoryr958KY

Death comes in the form of inability to change and adapt to innovations.

Did you continue to buy from FFVII onward?
    I disagree with that. Sometimes it is because nothing changes or adapts that something can become a "Classic". I don't think anyone would like to read a book titled "Lord of the Rings 4" and the story doesn't include any orcs or hobbits. But rather, it's about a space aged ninja who swings a gigantic sword and then turns uber emo... then he fights some legendary samurai who is trying to turn into a god because he is confused about his genetic DNA.

Heaven forbid I buy any of the monstrosities that came after FF VII. I played a little of VIII, X, X2, and XII in hopes that someday Square-Enix can redeem themselves. But they only got worse and I could not ever sit through any of the above mentioned games. I watched some cut scenes and got the general gist of the stories form my friends.

My point isn't that FF VII is actually terrible in and of itself. In fact, as I've mentioned the game play was decent. There were some interesting concepts such as materia customization and limit breaks. The story sucked, but it was visually dazzling comapred to SNES games. The biggest problem was, it should've never been called a Final Fantasy!

And I reference again with the Chorono Trigger series. It is possible for Sqaure to make a different RPG title with NEW concepts that doesn't take after the FF series. It almost feels like Square is just trying to bank the "FF" title

So is it the break from the medieval setting that upset you the most? I think I understand what you're saying now (I think) and I take it if FFVII and its subsequent instalments had been called something else you wouldn't have that much of a problem with it.

But "Final Fantasy" doesn't necessarily mean medieval world and sorcery. Yes, they established that in the first few games so everyone expected it, but the "fantasy" element is still retained in all follow-ups.

I agree that no one would want to read Lord of the Rings if it wasn't about Elves, but the paradigm is in the title and all potential sequels would have been bound to this world and would have had something to do with the pre-established world that once held this titular "Ring" that was forged by its "Lord". If Final Fantasy had been called "The Crystal Knights" or something yes, FFVII would have majorly broken the affiliation.

But that's the beauty of fantasy.... it's boundless.

@ Flawless

That is correct that the title "Final Fantasy" inherently possess no lmitations on the direction of it's themes. However, due to the precedents set forth by 6 games... one comes to expect a similar tone. Deviating too far away from what made the series a classic is something that I have always felt destroyed the entire franchise.

An example would be if they made a FF XIV-- and it was basically about a worm creature that can shoot lazer beams. And the plot was how this creature fell from a mystical planet lightyears away and it had to save the world from a gigantic demon who happened to be the worm's future self turned evil incarnate. Oh and just for good order sake, the worm can use summons and will eventually bump into a chocobo.

Would this qualify as a fantasy? Yes

SHOULD we put it in the same series as Final Fantasy? DEFINITELY NOT

It is now confirmed that there will be sequel to Dissidia - 012.

Confirmed new characters include Kain from FFIV and Lightning from FFXIII. Hopefully they add Zack or Genesis to the mix too!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs304.ash2/58463_471326239362_577249362_6636418_5464486_n.jpg')
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 09-16-10 at 11:46 AM.

Dissidia 2 looks pretty cool

I wonder what would happen to Cecil if they use Kain? Perhaps they will use the FF IV The After Years story arc... that would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    Dissidia 2 looks pretty cool

I wonder what would happen to Cecil if they use Kain? Perhaps they will use the FF IV The After Years story arc... that would be interesting.
    I don't think they are kicking anyone off... just adding new stuff to it. Game saves from Dissidia can be transferred over to 012.

Fantastic news!!

I agree, it would be awesome if they included Zack this time around!!

I'm not too bothered about Lightning, I found FFXIII, while visually stunning, a little boring. But maybe they'll add Noctis from FF Versus XIII?? Which looks infinitely cooler!!

Well, the first press articles are out on the new Dissidia and so far we've been told that it's gonna be a "prequel" to the current game and that it will also feature Tifa from FFVII.

Not looking good for Zack....

Well, the first press articles are out on the new Dissidia and so far we've been told that it's gonna be a "prequel" to the current game and that it will also feature Tifa from FFVII.

Not looking good for Zack....
    Well... not that it's surprising... Cloud is very similar to Zack after all... It would be like having a clone.

Okay, how about including Genesis?

Well... not that it's surprising... Cloud is very similar to Zack after all... It would be like having a clone.

Okay, how about including Genesis?
    I wouldn't actually mind a little bit of clone action if it involved these two!

There just aren't enough "official" Cloud/Zack scenes, I mean, in the original FFVII we had one secret scene, in Advent Children we had the scarce backflash (slightly improved in Advent Children Complete with quite a bit more Zack, but still nowhere near enough!), and in Crisis Core they're actually very rarely on screen together.

I know there's loads of fan art that features them together, but come on Squeenix! We want Cloud AND Zack as PLAYABLE characters! Together!!

Although the idea of including Genesis is an intruiging one!
    He was the main antagonist in Crisis Core after all! He had some nice summons and I guess he'd be quite a cool character to play. Only thing is the continous quoting from "Loveless" did get a tad annoying...

Although the idea of including Genesis is an intruiging one!
    He was the main antagonist in Crisis Core after all! He had some nice summons and I guess he'd be quite a cool character to play. Only thing is the continous quoting from "Loveless" did get a tad annoying...
    When I was playing CC, sometimes I wonder if he would be incapable of talking if he couldn't quote from Loveless.