Thread: Best Final Fantasy???

Default Best Final Fantasy???

I haven't played video games in a long time, but I was helping my brother move house and we found his PS2 amongst his junk. I took it with me and I'm playing Final Fantasy X at the moment.

I'm guessing some of you guys/gals have played some of the Final Fantasy games before, so which game do you think was the best of the series?

I reckon FF6J(FF3U) was the best and probably one of the best games I've ever played. FF10 graphics blows it out of the water, but in terms of musical score, characters and storyline, FF6 beats anything else. I remember playing FF7 and FF8 back in high school too.

If they remade all of the games on today's consoles with current graphics and processing power, I don't see how FF8 or FFX can compare.

Generally FF6 and FF7 are considered the best although for different reasons. 6 had stronger character development and a stronger story as well as the best music of the entire series. 7 was revolutionary in that it completely raised the bar on what a "video game" could be. It was only after 7 that games started to shed their "kiddy" stigma and become more accepted as adult entertainment.

FF8 tried to center the story on the romance but IMO it is the weakest of the main series (I don't consider X-2 part of the series). FF9 is a tribute to all of the old FF's, so if you are a long time fan of the series you will probably enjoy it as you find all the easter eggs.

FFX I really enjoy, although the voice acting of the two leads is really bad occasionally. But overall I'd say its just a slight notch below 6 and 7. As a tangent, FFX-2 is far and away the WORST of the series if you want to consider that one. Never played 11. FF12 is pretty average. I'd put it somewhat on par with FF8.

Among the really old games I only played FF4 and that one is very good as well.

So as a ranking of the one's I've played it would be something like:

FF6/FF7
    FFX
    FF4
    FF9
    FF8/FF12
    FFX-2

P.S: I'd like to add that Chrono Trigger is on par with FF6/FF7. When the discussion of best RPG ever made comes up the most common answers are usually FF6, FF7, and Chrono Trigger. All 3 were made within 2-3 years of each other in what I would dub Squaresoft's Golden Age (kind of like the Disney Renaissance).

Default Final Fantasy Dissidia

Yeah i completely agree with u guys, Final Fantasy VI was the best overall. Nothing beats it in overall gameplay. All the more recent FF's focus too much on the story (which is a good thing in a way) but the gameplay factor is toned down. Everything feels too linear. With FF 6, u get a great non-linear gameplay in the World of Ruins and not to mention challenging boss fights. The whole game just feels very balanced, polished and epic in scale.

But right now, the best FF besides 6 is Final Fantasy Dissidia. That game is a blast. All the heroes and villains from FF one to ten. U can have things like Golbez (boss of FFIV) versus Sephiroth (boss of FFVII) and things like that. It's a fighting game with lots of RPG components. It's something that the Jin Yong gaming franchise needs badly. Seriously, every fan of FF needs to check this game out. this game is sooooooooo much fun especially if u played the eariler FF's.

Regarding Chrono Trigger, i thought that was a great RPG too. It had a great epic storyline and some of the character designs and boss fights were awesome. The only thing that i didnt' like about it was the challenge level. Compared to FF6, Chrono Trigger was lacking the intensity. The boss fights weren't that grand and challenging.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 11-06-09 at 04:22 PM.

Agreed with Ghaleon there, Final Fantasy Dissidia is a must have for FF fans. Yes it have all the heroes and villians from FF I-X and a character from the good side from FF XI and the villian from FF XII. Right now I'm waiting for the next installment of the Final Fantasy series. Just finished Final Fantasy XIII. Really that game was underrated. I thought it was pretty good. Many can't face the facts that the battle is different and stuff. I know FF14 is out but it's online so not gonna waste my time.
    YANG

I have always thought that the best FF is FF IV.

This is usually the point of contention between hardcore fans. It usually boils down to either FF VII, FF VI, or FF IV.

In Japan, FF IV was considered one of the best classics of RPG's. It was the grand daddy of the turn based side scroll battle format that became Sqaure's singature. It was also the first FF to have created a main theme song for it's antagonist--Golbez.

I personally feel that no other FF quite pulled off a story quite like FF IV. It had all the elements that could have rivaled books such as LOTR. There were knights/damnsels/honor/betrayal/magic/mystique/redemtion/revenge all rolled into one very well written timeline.

The cast of heros were spectacular and the villains were marvelous! No other FF's can hold a candle when compared to Golbez and Rubicante!

All that being said:

1. FF IV
    2. FF VI
    3. FF V
    4. FF III (for it's value as a classic-- this is when jobs were first introduced and the concept of light/dark crystals)
    5. FF VII & X
    6. All other FF's aren't very good
    Last edited by Snafu3721; 07-26-10 at 06:22 AM.

To me top are

FF7
    FF9
    FF6

FF10 - Best mini game of all time Blitzball FTW

Wants --> FFVXIII