Thread: Mirai Robo Daltanious

Default Mirai Robo Daltanious

Does anyone know what the series Mirai Robo Daltanious is called in Cantonese? I recall watching a single episode when I was like 10 years old, and it was one of the coolest things I ever watched at that age.

Here's a Youtube link in Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lQ_00ePwqY

Does anyone know if the Canto version is available anywhere?

Don't know about the Cantonese dub, but I've got some trivia for you about this series.

DALTANIOUS was originally planned to be LION VOLTRON when U.S. company World Events Productions set out to adapt two Japanese super robot shows into its VOLTRON series in 1984. Due to some sort of error, however, World Events got the license to adapt GOLION and DAIRUGGER XV (e.g. VEHICLE VOLTRON) instead of DALTANIOUS. At first, World Events panicked because it had gotten the wrong series, but after viewing GOLION, decided that it actually worked out better for its plans than DALTANIOUS would have. Hence, GOLION became the famous LION VOLTRON rather than DALTANIOUS.

So a simple office clerical error changed the course of several anime franchises; DALTANIOUS came close to becoming VOLTRON.

They've always been Golion, Dairugger and Daltanious to me, really. I don't think I ever watched a single episode of Voltron - grew up on Dungeons and Dragons, Masters of the Universe and Thundercats. I never did watch Golion or Dairugger XV either, but I remember getting a Golion and Dairugger XV robot for my 10th or 11th birthday, so I've always referred to them as that. They've just released a new Daltanious in the toy shops, and I stood there in the aisle holding the box in my hands and staring at it for what must have been an eternity, feeling 30 years younger... Was really expensive just for nostalgia, though, so I didn't buy it. I'll probably cave in some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    They've always been Golion, Dairugger and Daltanious to me, really. I don't think I ever watched a single episode of Voltron - grew up on Dungeons and Dragons, Masters of the Universe and Thundercats. I never did watch Golion or Dairugger XV either, but I remember getting a Golion and Dairugger XV robot for my 10th or 11th birthday, so I've always referred to them as that. They've just released a new Daltanious in the toy shops, and I stood there in the aisle holding the box in my hands and staring at it for what must have been an eternity, feeling 30 years younger... Was really expensive just for nostalgia, though, so I didn't buy it. I'll probably cave in some day.
    Under the VOLTRON banner, the GOLION and DAIRUGGER XV series were merged into a single universe. Using some clever editing of footage and dialogue, World Events Productions succeeded in turning two originally unrelated series into one epic saga.

At around the same time, Harmony Gold Ltd. did the same with MACROSS, SOUTHERN CROSS, and MOSPEADA, combining them into ROBOTECH.

I found it! It's called 合金魂-金毛獅王 - not sure if Jin Yong would appreciate the plagiarisation of the name!

Oops, sorry, it should be 太空保衛團金毛獅王. 合金魂 refers to Chogokin, the toymaking brand which made the toys. Searching for 金毛獅王 alone also crossreferences with a lot of Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre stuff.. =)
    Last edited by Ian Liew; 06-13-11 at 10:28 AM.