Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VII - AC, CC, DOC

Default Final Fantasy VII - AC, CC, DOC

Wanted to revive a thread for the best game ever, and my fave hero: Cloud Strife!!!
    So please, talk about the original game, its movie Advent Children and the two new spin-off games Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus.

Oh, and if any of you have ANY NEWS WHATSOEVER on a release date for "Advent Children Complete" for the European market please tell me IMMEDIATELY!!!! I loved AC (it had shortcomings, yes, but hey, it's Cloud!! On a movie screen!!! ) so I'm very eager to see it in its 20 minute longer and more violent incarnation.
    As a European all I know of it so far is the trailer in youtube. And that looks awesome!
    Also I heard a rumour that Square Enix might revamp FFVII with modern graphics. Same game, just kick-*** optics! How cool would that be?!?!?!

Never had the chance to play FF7. Always been part the camp that says Final Fanasy VI is best of all. Pretty ignorant I know. AC was a hour and a half of nonstop action and computer visuals. I liked the movie to some degree as you can tell from my avatar. As for remaking Final Fantasy VII I'm psyche about it. Although they're just milking the cow for all its worth. And what does that imply for how SE feel about their other Final Fantasy titles? Do they feel that others that followed were never as successful or maybe they're starting run low on ideas? On second thought, scratch the last part. It's not like they never remade their other final fantasy games. It's just that they're focusing on FFVII a bit more.

I haven't played FF7: Crisis Core.

I've played Dirge of Cerberus. Although I somewhat enjoyed playing the game, I kept asking myself..."Why can't I do those fancy maneuvers that Vincent does in the cut-scenes?" There are a lot of cut-scenes. Many are good, but a few were a bit of a tease too. . .Rosso the Crimson vs Cloud Strife. . .we needed more of that [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJZ8L3w6-U ]!

Plot-wise, I enjoyed it. It was pretty good the way it was told and being a fan of Vincent from the start, I really liked how they fleshed his story out and we get to see a bit more of Lucrezia and how both their pasts played out to their current situation.

Overall, I really wouldn't recommend it if you're an avid fan of RPG-styled games. I think the game overall is so it in love with itself it forgets that it's really a game and not a film. The gameplay is different; after all, it is a first & third person shooter. And the surprise ending. . .if you get it. . .will leave you with more questions. . .
    Last edited by resident:alien; 03-01-08 at 11:14 AM.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Quote Originally Posted by Radken View Post
    Never had the chance to play FF7. Always been part the camp that says Final Fanasy VI is best of all. Pretty ignorant I know. AC was a hour and a half of nonstop action and computer visuals. I liked the movie to some degree as you can tell from my avatar. As for remaking Final Fantasy VII I'm psyche about it. Although they're just milking the cow for all its worth. And what does that imply for how SE feel about their other Final Fantasy titles? Do they feel that others that followed were never as successful or maybe they're starting run low on ideas? On second thought, scratch the last part. It's not like they never remade their other final fantasy games. It's just that they're focusing on FFVII a bit more.
    Cool, you prefer FFVI, that's kind of rare . To be honest I lost interest after FFVIII, from IX onwards the characters just didn't interest me anymore, even Squall was a bit too much "we have to have someone like Cloud". And Cloud is just IT for me. I know I'm kind of falling for the obvious here, but I can't help it
    That's what I like about Crisis Core, you get some of Cloud's backstory, and Zack is the hero, coz Zack was too cool only to be used in FFVII flashbacks. So thank you Crisis Core!
    I think SE just realized that VII has the biggest following (and quite rightly so?) and that's why there's so much interest in in now with all the new platforms like PS3 and new graphics.
    Do you think Crisis Core will be out on PS3 sometime?

Quote Originally Posted by resident:alien View Post
    I haven't played FF7: Crisis Core.

I've played Dirge of Cerberus. Although I somewhat enjoyed playing the game, I kept asking myself..."Why can't I do those fancy maneuvers that Vincent does in the cut-scenes?" There are a lot of cut-scenes. Many are good, but a few were a bit of a tease too. . .Rosso the Crimson vs Cloud Strife. . .we needed more of that [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJZ8L3w6-U ]!

Plot-wise, I enjoyed it. It was pretty good the way it was told and being a fan of Vincent from the start, I really liked how they fleshed his story out and we get to see a bit more of Lucrezia and how both their pasts played out to their current situation.

Overall, I really wouldn't recommend it if you're an avid fan of RPG-styled games. I think the game overall is so it in love with itself it forgets that it's really a game and not a film. The gameplay is different; after all, it is a first & third person shooter. And the surprise ending. . .if you get it. . .will leave you with more questions. . .
    I haven't played it yet, because I mainly heard bad reviews of it. But I have to say Vincent is pretty cool and I'm sure his character could hold a game as a lead. Surprise ending you say??? Hm, now you tempt me

FFVII is the flagship of the Final Fantasy series. . .

FFVI was pretty good too. Right after Terra went bonkers and turned into an ESPER, I was like WHOA! That was my first introduction into the Final Fantasy series. I won't forget that experience.

After VII, I've lost all interest . . .

VERSUS XIII might be the one that gets me back into it. . .though I haven't touched a video game controller in such a long time. I just don't have the time for it.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Having played most FF's (FF2, FF3, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII) I have the rights to share my unbiased opinion which I think is the best amongst those that I have played through.

For me best overall in terms of story is FF6 (FF3 in the US), this is my very first FF experience but the story is very well done that I give my hats off to such a classic game. This is the only rpg I can think of which hasn't focused too much on a single main character, although I guess Terra is the main antagonist but most of the characters are well developed that you can say there is no main character.

Best in gameplay would have to be FF7 followed by FF6, the only reason why FF6 is not top is that there are major glitches that degraded the gameplay value. I enjoyed FF7's materia system and the challenge it had to offer, I played that game 7 times back when it first came out, I absolutely loved it.

Now I'd like to share my thoughts on the other games and why they failed to deliver:
    FF2: I didn't actually finish this game, its too old school simple and the difficulty is insane which is good for hardcore players I guess.
    FF5: Same as FF2, too simple and insane difficulty.
    FF8: I hated this game only because of its gameplay, draw is so stupid (cast magic and your stats go down, nice concept.... yeah right), hero potion is stupid, on top of that we have..... Laguna card!
    FF9: Oh I loved FF9 but its not very challenging, where are the secret bosses? Don't mention ozma because he is a joke.
    FFX: I loved FFX and FFX-2's love story, I guess I have a soft spot for romance but yeah it was cool. Still I cannot say this is the best in terms of story and gameplay, I hated that sphere grid.
    FFXII: I didn't get to finish this one, it got pretty boring in the long run. I guess I just can't play as much as before anymore, can't spend too much time playing games. But I did like it, it wasn't very original or catchy but it was ok.

End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs View Post
    Having played most FF's (FF2, FF3, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, FFX, FFX-2, FFXII) I have the rights to share my unbiased opinion which I think is the best amongst those that I have played through.

For me best overall in terms of story is FF6 (FF3 in the US), this is my very first FF experience but the story is very well done that I give my hats off to such a classic game. This is the only rpg I can think of which hasn't focused too much on a single main character, although I guess Terra is the main antagonist but most of the characters are well developed that you can say there is no main character.

Best in gameplay would have to be FF7 followed by FF6, the only reason why FF6 is not top is that there are major glitches that degraded the gameplay value. I enjoyed FF7's materia system and the challenge it had to offer, I played that game 7 times back when it first came out, I absolutely loved it.

Now I'd like to share my thoughts on the other games and why they failed to deliver:
    FF2: I didn't actually finish this game, its too old school simple and the difficulty is insane which is good for hardcore players I guess.
    FF5: Same as FF2, too simple and insane difficulty.
    FF8: I hated this game only because of its gameplay, draw is so stupid (cast magic and your stats go down, nice concept.... yeah right), hero potion is stupid, on top of that we have..... Laguna card!
    FF9: Oh I loved FF9 but its not very challenging, where are the secret bosses? Don't mention ozma because he is a joke.
    FFX: I loved FFX and FFX-2's love story, I guess I have a soft spot for romance but yeah it was cool. Still I cannot say this is the best in terms of story and gameplay, I hated that sphere grid.
    FFXII: I didn't get to finish this one, it got pretty boring in the long run. I guess I just can't play as much as before anymore, can't spend too much time playing games. But I did like it, it wasn't very original or catchy but it was ok.

End of story.
    Nice review!
    I mostly agree with you (btw, lol@Laguna Card!!!! ) considering my knowledge doesn't include the later games. But I kinda liked the early bunch being a bit easier because I was a gaming novice back then and so I was eased in by FF. They were and are pretty much the only RPGs I play, maybe some Star Wars here and there. Everything that's new and good is only worth getting on PS3 graphicswise and I'm considering buying one. But I'm still undecided.
    Now if I knew there was a FF game coming out on PS3 that would hasten my decision

Quote Originally Posted by Flawless Flower View Post
    Nice review!
    I mostly agree with you (btw, lol@Laguna Card!!!! ) considering my knowledge doesn't include the later games. But I kinda liked the early bunch being a bit easier because I was a gaming novice back then and so I was eased in by FF. They were and are pretty much the only RPGs I play, maybe some Star Wars here and there. Everything that's new and good is only worth getting on PS3 graphicswise and I'm considering buying one. But I'm still undecided.
    Now if I knew there was a FF game coming out on PS3 that would hasten my decision
    FF13 probably won't come out till Q4 2008 or early 2009. Expectations are high but I'm not really hoping too much. From the graphics I've seen, its really looking good but it all comes down to the story and gameplay which I think is the bread and butter of great RPGs.

FF13 probably won't come out till Q4 2008 or early 2009. Expectations are high but I'm not really hoping too much. From the graphics I've seen, its really looking good but it all comes down to the story and gameplay which I think is the bread and butter of great RPGs.
    Do you know if it's gonna be available on other formats as well? Or just PS3?

Do you know if it's gonna be available on other formats as well? Or just PS3?
    I hear its PS3 exclusive and the way things are going for the PS3 right now, I think it will stay that way.

Nice review!
    Two Words: Mass Effect. That's what I bought my XBOX360 for, and it was worth it. Although, now that it's coming out on PC, if you have a good PC with decent specs, you can wait for that instead.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Stupid thing is that PS3 is region bound. Unlike PSP, PS2 and PC there is no way (that I know of anyway) that you could play games from other regions.
    And since I'm stuck in Europe I get a lot of games from USA or Asia, just because they come out lots quicker there. Hah, there's not even a flicker of a mention of "Crisis Core" on the European market. Ok, so we got "Dirge of Cerberus" but that's it.
    And I can't import my games with PS3. I'll have to rely on the official European supply. That's why I'm still hesitant to buy one.

And it also seems that "Advent Children Complete" is not getting a release in America, or anywhere else for that matter
    LISTEN, SQUARE ENIX!!!!! Not everyone has a BluRay player or a PS3! Or lives in Japan! Give us ACC on DVD NOW!!!!!

Stupid thing is that PS3 is region bound. Unlike PSP, PS2 and PC there is no way (that I know of anyway) that you could play games from other regions.
    And since I'm stuck in Europe I get a lot of games from USA or Asia, just because they come out lots quicker there. Hah, there's not even a flicker of a mention of "Crisis Core" on the European market. Ok, so we got "Dirge of Cerberus" but that's it.
    And I can't import my games with PS3. I'll have to rely on the official European supply. That's why I'm still hesitant to buy one.

And it also seems that "Advent Children Complete" is not getting a release in America, or anywhere else for that matter
    LISTEN, SQUARE ENIX!!!!! Not everyone has a BluRay player or a PS3! Or lives in Japan! Give us ACC on DVD NOW!!!!!
    PS3 is region free am I right? If so, you shouldn't have problems ordering the game in US version.

PS3 is region free am I right? If so, you shouldn't have problems ordering the game in US version.
    It's not region-free
    At least the European PS3s are all coded. Retailers and games magazines all tell me the same. Buy the European console - play European games. No imports.

It's not region-free
    At least the European PS3s are all coded. Retailers and games magazines all tell me the same. Buy the European console - play European games. No imports.
    From what I heard, only blueray dvd films are region coded but not the games so there really is nothing for you to worry about.

EDIT: Don't trust people who works in gamestores, they either know nothing or will do anything to make you buy their product.
    Last edited by Bangs; 03-04-08 at 08:43 AM.

From what I heard, only blueray dvd films are region coded but not the games so there really is nothing for you to worry about.

EDIT: Don't trust people who works in gamestores, they either know nothing or will do anything to make you buy their product.
    I think I'm gonna wait to buy it until FFXIII actually comes out. There's bound to be an introductiory bundle or combo offer.
    Bummer about the BluRay though. I thought that maybe I could buy Advent Children Complete from Japan and then watch it on PS3. But it seems there is really no way for non-Japanese fans to get their hands on ACC

By the way,

who has played Crisis Core already?
    Got any cheats?

I think I'm gonna wait to buy it until FFXIII actually comes out. There's bound to be an introductiory bundle or combo offer.
    Bummer about the BluRay though. I thought that maybe I could buy Advent Children Complete from Japan and then watch it on PS3. But it seems there is really no way for non-Japanese fans to get their hands on ACC
    Blu-Rays from Japan have the same region as the US, Region A.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee View Post
    Blu-Rays from Japan have the same region as the US, Region A.
    Yeah, but I'm in Europe, different region

Ok, actual game-related question:
    Do you guys think that Zack is better than Cloud? I mean, strength wise, limit breaks and so on? And who do you mostly play as?