Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hana Yori Dango - Boys Before Flowers (Korean Version)

Sounds like it's worthwhile checking out. But next few months is heavy planning & designing at workplace, so I have to wait for a few months, maybe EOE and HYD would finish showing. Or maybe have enough energy to watch a few episodes online this month.

I've watched HYD the jap version a long time ago. I didn't really like it much because it was kind of weird or bizarre at first. Although, afterward I thought it has a good storyline, BUT very unrealistic.

I mean what's up with all the bullying? Aren't there any teachers or stuffs around? Just because you have money doesn't neccessarily mean you can do whatever you like.

Anyways, I was pretty surprised after hearing that there's going to be a Korean version coming out. At first (again), I was like these casts look awful, but then after watching the first 4 episodes I really like it. Even though the story is still unrealistic, I don't know, I just have a diff. vibe about this compared to the Jap one. It seems more colorful? However, I don't like the leading actress. The main girl from Goong (sorry, don't remember her name) would have done a better job. Other than this, all the guys in here are certainly eye candy. Hairstyle is unique, but I got used to it.

I noticed that it is the same director as My Girl, Witch Yoo Hee, Sassy Girl, and yeah all of them consists of HCY. He must really like her haha.

I don't know this series compared to the other three versions captivates me more. I guess because the casts are more good looking.

By the way, Kim Bum and the main actor are so cute !

Hopefully, it will be a decent drama, but right now it's very interesting !
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

Talking

me too! kim bum ftw!!!

I really like the character of Go JunPyo (Doumyoji) im this story. He really feels like a great person in most parts of it, childishness aside. I like JanDi at first, but the episodes with her getting on with JiHoo (Hanazawa Rui) is just too much. I don't like her acting innocent and I can't understand why she doesn't like JunPyo as much as anyone else would, after all he done for her.

I always liked Domyoji over Hanazawa Rui in the manga, anime, any of the adaptations. I don't remember Rui being an orphan, but the Korean version seem to have that.

I can't help noticing how the Korean version loves to *fanfare* and flaunt lavishly how wealthy they are. I think one of the reasons they chose to do this adaptation is to show how wealthy and prosperous Korea is. HYD is a perfect piece to show their wealth because Makino/Jan Di is surrounded by wealthy people in the story. But this Korean version takes the wealth up 110%. Like people are extraordinary wealthy in the drama. Something about this just rubs me the wrong way.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I can't help noticing how the Korean version loves to *fanfare* and flaunt lavishly how wealthy they are. I think one of the reasons they chose to do this adaptation is to show how wealthy and prosperous Korea is. HYD is a perfect piece to show their wealth because Makino/Jan Di is surrounded by wealthy people in the story. But this Korean version takes the wealth up 110%. Like people are extraordinary wealthy in the drama. Something about this just rubs me the wrong way.
    Hmm, but aren't F4 supposed to be the richest of the richests. In the Japanese version, isn't Domyoji's family supposed to be plutocrats, wealthy enough to buy politicians, so it's only normal that they're that rich. Those who can buy the world right?

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    Hmm, but aren't F4 supposed to be the richest of the richests. In the Japanese version, isn't Domyoji's family supposed to be plutocrats, wealthy enough to buy politicians, so it's only normal that they're that rich. Those who can buy the world right?
    Yes. But I can still see this as a way for Korea to flaunt and exploit their wealth. Because Domyoji and his friends are wealthy guys, Korean producers or whomever in charge of choosing mangas or scripts to produce dramas probably chose this story precisely because it can allow Korea to showcase their wealth. They portray wealth but it seems here in the Korean version, they take it to the *extreme*. Truly extravagant.

If you or anyone thinks that this is all an innocent attempt I seriously doubt it. Even in the other Korean Dramas, there's ALWAYS a wealthy character. Between a couple, there's always a wealthy person.

Plus - The girl who plays Jan Di is just not right for the role. I don't like her eyes or lips.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 02-11-09 at 06:58 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Check out the first few episodes of Scale of Providence. The series show us the slum-area version of Korea. Where people are so poor, they doesn't have a nice place to live, renting in a very poor area, sometimes even sleep in those overnight bath-house for the whole family.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/The_Scale_of_Providence

Wow, i can't get over how much I enjoyed this series. Totally obsessed and addicted to it actually. I never would thought that the korean version will be this enjoyable. I did love Rui in the Hana Yori Dango japanese version but for the Korean version, I'm obsessed with Go Junpyo. It's a fun series to watch with cute actors and actresses. Feel totally young just watching all the cute boys of F4.
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

Default First one

Everyone seems to be comparing the various versions. Should I watch the Japanese version first?

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    Everyone seems to be comparing the various versions. Should I watch the Japanese version first?
    It would be great if you could read the manga before watching any of the adaptations. I prefer the acting, pacing and the way the story is portrayed in the Japanese version better. The clothes and hairstyle for the F4 guys in HYD2 looks better than in HYD1. Though some might like the Korean guys better...but I still prefer the acting in the Japanese ver.

From what I noticed in this Korean version -- They tend to use scenes from the manga BUT they change the purpose/meaning of the scene. I might be able to handle the scenes going out of sequence if it is done cleverly. However, they change meaning and purpose of some scenes and so, I don't like it that much. The changes in the Korean version--they change the purpose of some important scenes and the characters' motives or reasoning isn't quite clear. So you're left thinking why it happen that way. If the Korean version had kept it the way it is, then it would make more sense and actually have some depth instead of giving the audience the watered down version.

For example:
    click to show/hide spoilers
    A) In one of the episodes in the Korean version, the guys in the F4 called Jan Di and told her that Goo Jun Pyo was "injured " and in the hospital. So Jan Di rushes to the hospital to see him in the hospital "unconscious" and thinking he died. This was to test Jan Di's feelings for Jun Pyo and Jun Pyo wasn't really injured. (I'll explain this later)

B) Then later in another episode-- episode 11 or 12, the model guy disguises himself as a guy with glasses at school and gets Jan Di to appear in a photo shoot and magazine photo spread with him. He later kidnap Jan Di to lure Jun Pyo because he wanted revenge. Here Jun Pyo did go to the hospital but the scene has changed. Jun Pyo and Jan Di are just bickering in the hospital.

What should actually happen is that Jun Pyo gets beaten up by the model guy and his revenge buddies because Jun Pyo didn't want Jan Di to get hurt so he didn't fight back. The other F4 guys appear and bring them to the hospital. When Jan Di wakes up and wanders in the hospital she meets "Rui'" or Ji Hoo (in this Korean version) and what happens in A happens here. Jan Di is suppose to find Jun Pyo injured (for reals here) and thinking he died. This scene does show that Makino (Jan Di) does care for Domyoji (Jun Pyo), but this happened because HE didn't fight back and got beaten up for her. She cries thinking that he died for her and then she finds out he was pretending to have "died" and so she calls him names and the rest of the F4 laughed. Then the model guy suppose to come and apologized, and she accepts it but she doesn't want to see him again.

The Korean version changed it and split up the scene, so I think it lessen the effect it suppose to have.

The main "actress" in this version annoys me so much with puffy eyes, lips and poor facial expessions. Plus her character is suppose to be more stronger and braver than how she's portraying the character.
    click to show/hide spoilers
    When Goo Jun Pyo's mother bribed them her family with money and she went to return it, she's suppose to give the mother some piece of her mind and really be strong-willed. But here the actress only portrayed stubbornness towards Goo Jun Pyo's torment of the other kids in school. It seems like early on, her friend had to remind her that she stood up for people in her old school and THEN she started going against the F4. But *actually* She is suppose to speak up against F4 for someone and then after school she meets her friend and expressed how she's a bit worried, but her friend tells her that she's the kind of girl who is couragous and not afraid of bullies. So her friend made her feel that it is okay to do so, but in the Korean version they had her friend suggest her standing up to the bully. She should have the courage to do so already,
    but the Korean version made her seem weak.

Rui/Ji Hoo was never an orphan.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 02-18-09 at 11:36 AM.

The main "actress" in this version annoys me so much with puffy eyes, lips and poor facial expessions. Plus her character is suppose to be more stronger and braver than how she's portraying the character.
    Agreed. She's the reason why I discontinued watching this version. Her acting is just not convincing.

Whoa SS, too much info for now. One of the reasons I seldom watch/see shows AND read the books or comics as well.

Anyway thank you. Will checkout the Japanese version first.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Agreed. She's the reason why I discontinued watching this version. Her acting is just not convincing.

I haven't watched the drama yet but looking at some pictiures and from youtube, she has this weak/crying face. Both the Taiwan and Jap version female lead are more fiesty!

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    Whoa SS, too much info for now. One of the reasons I seldom watch/see shows AND read the books or comics as well.

Anyway thank you. Will checkout the Japanese version first.
    Bella, i think you should watch the Korean version first so we can talk about it on here.....i want to see if you would drool over the main guy like i did or not..heheheheh.

I haven't watch any series for maybe two months, I think..This is the first series i've watched since my "cutting down" phase....Let me tell you, it's so entertaining!
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE View Post
    Bella, i think you should watch the Korean version first so we can talk about it on here.....i want to see if you would drool over the main guy like i did or not..heheheheh.

I haven't watch any series for maybe two months, I think..This is the first series i've watched since my "cutting down" phase....Let me tell you, it's so entertaining!
    If you like eye candy, sure watch this, but I swear I will throw things at the monitor whenever Jan Di appears and pouts and cries. I swear Makino Tsukushi is more spunky and stronger than how Jan Di is here. Stupid and super gullible.

Lee Min Ho and the guy that plays Lee Ji Hoo is cute. The shirtless Lee Min Ho is droolworthy.

The Korean version of HYD is so Korean. It just reeks of Kim Chi and Korean flavor. Sometimes there's that melodramatic Korean drama feel to it (it almost feels draggy at some parts) and stuff.

Please Kill Jan Di! She's such a pushover.

The main guy is cute and Doumyuoji has always been my fav in Hana Yori Dango,unfortunately I really can't stand the main actress in this version (not only she looks older than the leading guy, she can't act. Her lips )

I am watching it strictly for Yi Jung (Soujiro) and Ga Eul, they make such an adorable couple. Although I usually prefer close references made to the original manga, I hope Yi Jung's and Ga Eul's ending will be different - they HAVE to be together.

Wish there are more scenes of them.

Because Domyoji and his friends are wealthy guys, Korean producers or whomever in charge of choosing mangas or scripts to produce dramas probably chose this story precisely because it can allow Korea to showcase their wealth.
    Not at all. These shows are commercial products designed specifically appeal to their primary audiences, women of all ages.

What you see in HYD is driven by two factors.

1. Women strongly prefer rich male characters, younger audiences(primary viewership age of HYD is lower than the norm) especially more so. Poor guys with good heart get nothing.
    2. There is heavy in-placement marketing going on in the show. Everything you see in the show, school uniform, cars, cloth, cell phones, even kitchen sink, are paid for in-placement advertisement by companies, and they pay hefty sum because they know this show would be watched in all over in Asia.(Pay once, free ad everywhere) It is easier to create in-placement ad spots if the character is rich, and this is why even Keum Jan Di(aka Tsukushi Makino) character is dressed nicely even though her character is supposedly poor.

Even in the other Korean Dramas, there's ALWAYS a wealthy character. Between a couple, there's always a wealthy person.
    Because that's exactly what women want in reality; rich men.

And I don't blame women for preferring rich men, they are naturally evolved to prefer rich guys because the cost of raising a family is exceedingly high. Female preference for rich men is universal and is rooted in evolutionary biology.

Plus - The girl who plays Jan Di is just not right for the role. I don't like her eyes or lips.
    Well, Makino tole could have been played by anybody; I suspect she was a package cast deal with one of male leads.

I forgot to mention that even locations in a k-drama is in-placement ad too. You have seen how this works in On-Air, where you see Taiwanese government tourism agency paying $500K to shoot the hypothetical drama within the show in Taiwan....

So basically almost all outdoor locations, hotels, cafes, restaurants, hospitals and clinics(more specifically plastic surgery clinics), theme parks, they are paid to be shot there. The companies that rich characters work are slightly modified versions of real companies paying to have the show written and shot around them. Pretty astounding, but true.

The only shows that are free from this kind of practice is historical dramas where you can't sell in-placement ad spots, and this is why historical dramas are budgeted 3~4 times higher than regular dramas, because you can't sell any ad spots.

I've only watched up to episode 4 so far and I think it's an okay series.

I agree with everybody that said Jan Di is weak. SanCai & Tsukushi were more feisty & prettier. Tsukushi is still the best one for me.

This version's pace is really fast...sometimes I think if you've never watched before, you might feel like you're missing something. The biggest gap I found so far is the chemistry between Gun Pyo & Jan Di. I have yet to feel that Jan Di really likes Gun Pyo.

Hopefully, it'll get better though.