Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hana Yori Dango - Boys Before Flowers (Korean Version)

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    Her name is Park Shin Hye. She played younger Jeung Seo(Choi Ji Woo's character) in The Stairway to Heaven and the female lead in its sequel The Heaven's Tree.
    I thought that was Park Shin Shye but was kind of unsure. It would have been interesting to see her play Jan Di, I wouldn't have minded her in that role, she might have been able to pull it off. I've seen Heaven's Tree and didn't think her acting was too bad.

As for Koo Hye Sun, I have mixed feelings about her performance as Jan Di. I agree with you, JonDoe, about her comical scenes but for some reason there were moments where her acting was kind of lacking in some way, I can't seem to place what it was. Perhaps, lack of chemistry with her co-stars? I wouldn't say she is a bad actress though. Her crying scenes seemed okay to me and I wasn't too bothered by her facial expressions.
    Last edited by botan; 05-16-09 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by botan View Post
    Perhaps, lack of chemistry with her co-stars?
    Actually it was the other way around. Jan Di's character was far more emotionally attached to men and male-dependent than Tsukushi's character. Tsukushi means "weed"; she is a "weed" tough independent girl who doesn't need any tending to survive, even if she separated from Tsukasa forever. Jan Di means "grass", which needs constant tending, and indeed Jan Di is constantly "rescued" and "looked after" by F4, and needs emotional feedback or she goes insecure. Jan Di would probably had a mental breakdown if she saw Jun Pyo marrying some other girl.

Overall, The Korean version was far more "romantic" than rather "dry" Japanese version which focused on telling a story and not romance like typical Japanese shows, and it takes a seasoned veteran to do proper "romantic" scenes and lead the inexperienced partner, like Koo Hye Sun. The younger Geum Jan Di candidates couldn't do this, so they were dropped even if they were considered to be more markettable in Japan.

Overall, The Korean version was far more "romantic" than rather "dry" Japanese version which focused on telling a story and not romance like typical Japanese shows, and it takes a seasoned veteran to do proper "romantic" scenes and lead the inexperienced partner, like Koo Hye Sun. The younger Geum Jan Di candidates couldn't do this, so they were dropped even if they were considered to be more markettable in Japan.
    Nope. Nada. No. I disagree on the romantic part.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Nope. Nada. No. I disagree on the romantic part.
    Well, let's compare then.

Japanese Version Music Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HltUY-o8E0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z4KWwk1LLk

Korean Version Music Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csxA-kZ_4qs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXajecvb08

Only the stone-hearted viewers would say Japanese version is more romantic.

i found the japanese version very unromantic...but then i didnt' find the korean version any better.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by BearBearNweather View Post
    I just watch drama solely for soeulmates. Infact, can't really say I follow the entire show since I usually move on to do other things when it's the leading characters.
    I'm with you BearBearNweather- I guess this version is the first I'm watching and I couldn't make it past episode 14 because it got too painful to see Ji Hoo's silent pining. I know, I know I haven't seen the whole thing so I'm in no position to have a preference really, but I do love the character! (I tested this out by watching the anime and again I couldn't bring myself to like the lead.)

I think the fact that Rui's more passive makes him somehow more tragic in my books. He is the ultimately passive but sweet-souled and smart and quietly passionate character. Its the right mix of distant but engaging, shy but expressive, chilly usually but breaking into heart-wrenching smiles that I like. Plus I think they get the sweetest scenes in the first 11 episodes... I like their simple scenes together: He and Jan Di's character talk about the horse, she feeds the horse something, she just rides the horse while he leads it, they keep saying the same thing to each other "thank you", "if not for you" just before he asks her out with a radiant smile, him absently but intently wiping her face. It's just their somewhat silly smiling when in each other's presence even when saying the most inane or trivial things that makes me sigh. They both seem like such beautifully and lovingly tentative creatures in love.

I guess I need to try to go further to capture her relationship with the lead male character fully as well, but all the contrivances to separate them so they have to go to great lengths to be together, while all the time Rui and her simply hang out now and then, share a warm coffee and conversation, encourage each other and then wave bye again... somehow just resonates with me.

Ok, I have to say Rui's first appearance was a little contrived to me... standing in the park awkwardly holding a violin (the actor doesn't look like he can play the violin at all)... but his awkwardness plays to his advantage over time. His character is very vulnerable, very dreamy, a little bit detached from the world... so a little awkwardness quite beautifully adds to Riu's charm. He's actually probably right telling her that she's correct to sum him up as "mostly useless", but he does prove that he's her loyal, fearless and wise protector over time.

I know, my perception is definitely in the minority here, but just wanted the rest of our small "soul mates" band to know, "you are not alone."

Alright, to be fair- I went to watch the first at least 10 episodes of the other versions too (anime, Taiwanese, Jap) up through the "competition" for each of them so that I could be a fairer judge of the characters up to that point.

Interestingly in the older stories- Anime and Taiwan serials. Rui is not as interesting a character- too much of a cold fish, not in the lines since many of the lines are preserved, but in the lackluster portrayal. And though the lead guy is still a bit buffonish, he's made out to be very sympathetic... right from the start the choice is clear for Tsukushi.

But starting from the Jap version they do go out to make Rui more interesting, more engaged, and the lead more flawed (the Jap lead guy was actually scary, almost psychotic when he beats people... while the Anime made him seem merely kiddish and not seriously hurting anyone).

Tsukushi herself gets more interesting- less randomly violent, more thoughtful but no less gutsy- and okay, for sure they play up the romance bits, but I'm not complaining since they do it well!

The Korean version, if you ask me, actually makes Rui one of the most interesting and charming characters on the set, and I think the Korean Tsukushi is my favorite Tsukushi too... charismatically portrayed, I think the Korean actress is the best actor/actress in any of the serials, and personally I think she's the prettiest of the actresses/animated drawings too! Not sure why people think she's not suited to the role just on account of her age- she looks the right age, just acts circles around her co-stars.

I'm actually keen to see another remake.... though I would like to have the boys now acted by people who are more experienced actors (they're allowed to look 15 years old, just must act like they have 10 years of acting under their belts!) to match a good actress as Tsukushi!

I love remakes I guess... I think there are stories that lend themselves to endlessly intriguing adaptations. Just like there are tunes that lend themselves to beautiful variations, that give us great classical music, I like to think of remakes as exploring the same sort of potential!

Okay figured out why I don't like the lead character in the first 16 episodes- simple: He hits people when he feels like it, sometimes quite viciously. In my book, no excuses for doing that all the time- difficult to like a guy like that. Sure everyone is flawed, but some flaws I feel less sympathy for than others.

Still like the series so far (episode 16)- really enjoy Rui's quality of interaction with Tsukushi... sure they get their own angsty moments, but it's interspaced with happy synchronized window-washing and making pancakes or busking for money scenes (that was cool specially since the actor is apparently a singer and so he does actually sing those songs himself! Plus it was sweet what Rui did with the only money he'd ever earned on his own!)! In contrast I get the sense of relentless angst from Tsukushi and Jun Pyo.

(Sorry can't keep the different names for the same characters in different versions straight!)
    Last edited by yanfeng; 05-23-09 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Okay figured out why I don't like the lead character in the first 16 episodes- simple: He hits people when he feels like it, sometimes quite viciously. In my book, no excuses for doing that all the time- difficult to like a guy like that. Sure everyone is flawed, but some flaws I feel less sympathy for than others.

Still like the series so far (episode 16)- really enjoy Rui's quality of interaction with Tsukushi... sure they get their own angsty moments, but it's interspaced with happy synchronized window-washing and making pancakes or busking for money scenes (that was cool specially since the actor is apparently a singer and so he does actually sing those songs himself! Plus it was sweet what Rui did with the only money he'd ever earned on his own!)! In contrast I get the sense of relentless angst from Tsukushi and Jun Pyo.

(Sorry can't keep the different names for the same characters in different versions straight!)
    In defense for Domyoji Tsukasa/ Goo Jun Pyo, it's more of his upbringing (with the kind of mother he has) and the absence of parents to raise and love him properly. That's part of the reason why he acts up rebelliously like that. He only sees his parents once or twice a year. That's why even though his older sister would hit him for acting like an idiot sometimes, they're actually really close siblings. Mostly, he's lonely and feels unloved by his parents; especially his cold mother. He acts defiant like he's mad at the entire world because he doesn't have someone who genuinely cares for him and loves him for him. All the people around him either fear him or just wants to get close to him for his wealth and status. Outside the F4, he doesn't trust anyone and feels more alone because he feels like there's no one to trust. His sister leaves to get married and is not always around after that. So in a way he needs Tsukushi to tame him and show him honest feelings he never seen in other girls or people (except for the F4).

Sure, he's easily jealous and has a hot temper, but there's still some redeeming factors about him.

I've read the manga and watched the anime/J-Drama, part of Meteor Garden and a large portion of the K-drama of this story and I guess I can sympathize and understand the psychology behind his character. There's more to him beyond that hot head exterior. I guess Domyoji Tsukasa and Makino Tsukushi is like Beauty and the Beast. No one said love stories are easy (or goes smoothly).
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 05-23-09 at 05:57 PM.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Hi Suet Seung-

For sure I see that he's a product of his upbringing which was pretty rough and his sister certain isn't much of an example! Though I hesitate to say he had the toughest time as a kid of the F4- e.g., Ji Hoo's parents perished before his eyes and his grandfather pretty-close to abandoned him.

I also see that he changes a lot over the course of the show, and of course everyone is more rash/brash as teens than a few years along. I guess it's just _in_comparison_ to the other F4, and the leading female character that Jun Pyo comes off as not as sympathetic.

I find it a little bit disturbing that the initial part of this serial glorifies violence-not-entirely-in-self-defense... I mean driving students to suicide with bullying and physically tormenting them based on socio-economic differences is pretty gritty real-life issues- which here is never really addressed and sometimes even made out to be a part of their glamour (with bright-eyed students crowding around egging them on! Yikes!- is this how old time stonings and hangings were like?).

Of course random acts of violence has always characterized anime, and I'm actually very comfortable with that, but with real actors/actresses, somehow it comes across as more sinister.

All this is not to say I don't like the series overall! (When I don't like a series, I usually can't be bothered to complain about it! Only post re:serials that catch my eye!) And I'm still hanging on for more glimpses of Ji Hoo... actually in terms of screen time, I don't think he has too much less than Jun Pyo! (Which is as important for a character as "getting the happy ending" I think, since that gives him time for more development.)

BTW, I read with amusement reports that the actor for Ji Hoo actualy doesn't like Ji Hoo for being too reserved.
    Last edited by yanfeng; 05-25-09 at 04:48 AM.

Oh, I understand what you mean by why they casted GHS instead of the younger candidates, I guess that makes sense. Despite my mixed feelings about GHS's acting, I actually felt that she fit the role quite well and didn't mind her being casted for the role. I didn't think she looked that much older than the rest of the cast and there wasn't that much of an age difference between her and Lee Min Ho and Kim Hyun Joong anyways.

Yanfeng-

I think BearBearNweather meant that the only reason why he/she kept watching this drama was because of So Yi Jung and Ka Eul. Nevertheless, I agree with you about Ji Hoo/Rui. He is such a lovable character. I feel even sadder for him in this version. Love the actor as well, although I do have to admit that he needs some improvement on his acting.

I never really liked the lead character, Domyoji, either. He's just way too possessive and violent. I understand the background of his character and what lead him to be what he is, and I do feel some sympathy for him, but I still find him rather annoying. Even after watching this version, which seemed like a "toned down" version of the character (I thought he was much more violent in the manga), I still didn't like him.

By the way, anyone know about Rui's family background in the manga, was it the same as in this drama? Did he have parents? I read the manga a long time ago so I don't remember. I don't recall him having a grandfather though.

Quote Originally Posted by botan View Post
    Oh, I understand what you mean by why they casted GHS instead of the younger candidates, I guess that makes sense. Despite my mixed feelings about GHS's acting, I actually felt that she fit the role quite well and didn't mind her being casted for the role. I didn't think she looked that much older than the rest of the cast and there wasn't that much of an age difference between her and Lee Min Ho and Kim Hyun Joong anyways.

Yanfeng-

I think BearBearNweather meant that the only reason why he/she kept watching this drama was because of So Yi Jung and Ka Eul. Nevertheless, I agree with you about Ji Hoo/Rui. He is such a lovable character. I feel even sadder for him in this version. Love the actor as well, although I do have to admit that he needs some improvement on his acting.

I never really liked the lead character, Domyoji, either. He's just way too possessive and violent. I understand the background of his character and what lead him to be what he is, and I do feel some sympathy for him, but I still find him rather annoying. Even after watching this version, which seemed like a "toned down" version of the character (I thought he was much more violent in the manga), I still didn't like him.

By the way, anyone know about Rui's family background in the manga, was it the same as in this drama? Did he have parents? I read the manga a long time ago so I don't remember. I don't recall him having a grandfather though.
    Here's the manga info on Rui: http://niko-niko.net/hana/rui.html

The Korean version just wanted his character to have a sad past and garner more sympathy from the girls. He wasn't an orphan and he certainly did not have a grandfather appearing in the manga either.

Here's the manga info for Domyoji: http://niko-niko.net/hana/doumyouji.html (I think it's worth reading to understand his character in a different light, so don't let your bias get in the way).

Anyway I still see it as Beauty and the Beast type of relationship.

All this is not to say I don't like the series overall! (When I don't like a series, I usually can't be bothered to complain about it! Only post re:serials that catch my eye!) And I'm still hanging on for more glimpses of Ji Hoo... actually in terms of screen time, I don't think he has too much less than Jun Pyo! (Which is as important for a character as "getting the happy ending" I think, since that gives him time for more development.)

BTW, I read with amusement reports that the actor for Ji Hoo actualy doesn't like Ji Hoo for being too reserved.
    yupe i think they made JH screentimes longer than they planned, because the actor who played JH (Kim Hyun Joon) said (to his fans) in the early production that he doesnt hv lots of airtime but hope the fans still support the series.

And typical korean series they give more focus on triangle kind of luvstory. Actually if it's not adapted from the original manga, JH will get the girl but too bad it HYD which u know who with who will ended up together.

LOL KHJ said that and his original character is very very opposite from JH.

I only like Domyouji character only from Japan version, because they showed the character very strong and Matsujun, even he got lots of criticism (mostly of his height), he played the character very well. And for Taiwan & Korean versions, i fall into Rui's character.
    Last edited by tanteun; 05-27-09 at 05:11 AM.

Hi all,

Thanks for the links Suet Sueng- you'll have to tell me a little more about the beauty and the beast analogy. (BTW, it's been awhile, but didn't the beast always attack for self-defense? That seems a different sort of violence to me- of course offense and defense is a very fine line sometimes.)

Ohhh.. Tantuen, can you tell me why you think Ji Hoo would have gotten the girl if it wasn't following the Manga? Is it because in Korean dramas, the girl often falls for the guy who she ends up spending more time and cultivating a relationship with?? (Okay, apologies to Jun Pyo fans, my posts are getting too frequent. Don't want to drown out all the other voices, so I'll try to hold back a little!)

BTW, I watched a few minutes of "We Got Married" which features KHJ (actor for Ji Hoo) and he's actually super funny and has an understated, but lightning fast humor and quite talkative (at least compared to the character Ji Hoo! Maybe that doesn't say much.... hmm....)

But yes, and he plays the guitar a lot, and the piano a little- the little scene where he plays the start of a piano song which he doesn't remember the end for for his 'wife' in the series is hilarious and half-touching! (Recalls to me all the scenes where Ji Hoo plays the piano or guitar... ...)

Alright, enough blabber back to work!

Hi all,

Thanks for the links Suet Sueng- you'll have to tell me a little more about the beauty and the beast analogy. (BTW, it's been awhile, but didn't the beast always attack for self-defense? That seems a different sort of violence to me- of course offense and defense is a very fine line sometimes.)

Ohhh.. Tantuen, can you tell me why you think Ji Hoo would have gotten the girl if it wasn't following the Manga? Is it because in Korean dramas, the girl often falls for the guy who she ends up spending more time and cultivating a relationship with?? (Okay, apologies to Jun Pyo fans, my posts are getting too frequent. Don't want to drown out all the other voices, so I'll try to hold back a little!)

BTW, I watched a few minutes of "We Got Married" which features KHJ (actor for Ji Hoo) and he's actually super funny and has an understated, but lightning fast humor and quite talkative (at least compared to the character Ji Hoo! Maybe that doesn't say much.... hmm....)

But yes, and he plays the guitar a lot, and the piano a little- the little scene where he plays the start of a piano song which he doesn't remember the end for for his 'wife' in the series is hilarious and half-touching! (Recalls to me all the scenes where Ji Hoo plays the piano or guitar... ...)

Alright, enough blabber back to work!
    I think it's not only because it's a Korean Drama , but well i know lots of girls are more attract for 'a bad' guys and not for a nice, sweet, perfect guys "like JH", but honestly when u're in relationship, what kind of goal do u want to achieve?? I bet somehow girl want a security, treated well n nice. JH is perfect for JanDi, he understands what she wants and always be there for her. They make him as a soulmate than a lover. If you find a 'soulmate' what else do u need?? why bother to have up n down relationship. In this BOF, how could u not 'fall' to JH (forget if it's Hana Yori Dango!). Most of the time the hero/main character is always get the girl, well if he's a main character like i said, he'll get the girl!! But since it's HYD/BOF no matter how good or perfect JH is to Jandi, he won't get her, but JP. And for my opinin, JH's luv is equivalent or maybe more than JP's .

OOT,

haha i luvsss WGM!! I watched it after i knew KHJ from BOF. And if u watched the complete eps, u'll know why people or he, himself said that JH character is very very opposite. He's so blunt, and well-known to has 4D personality that's what make him funny And he's so considerate, honest, n nice guy.

Interesting- I actually don't think of JH as the perfect guy... he has his own demons and luggage.

He just seems to take things much better, be more cerebral and thoughtful, and simply shares many warm, constructively happy moments with Makino. I can see them being a lovely pair... okay, I confess it doesn't hurt that I think they always pick a cuter actor for this character too!

BTW, I thought the scene where Ji Hoo and Makino pose in a wedding shot competition was amazing in terms of making a stunning couple-picture. Both exude such a soft, graceful air- makes you shiver to see them just standing there beside each other... much less shyly smiling at everyone and each other!

Some trivia.

- The Korean version was the only version that the manga artist Kamio Yoko was actually involved in production as a consultant. Yoko wasn't involved in Japanese version due to lack of time. This may or may not be a good thing, as Korean production studio recalled Yoko of making rather "tough" demands and having to persuade Yoko to back down, the most infamous one being keeping the original character names. The end result of Yoko's presence in production process is that the Korean version stays the closest to Yoko's creative vision, in spite of localization changes.

- Yoko was well aware of the cultural differences between Japan and Korea and expected the Korean version to not take off. Interestingly, even the Korean network running the series expected it to flop, and took a one-time air license at the fraction of the cost of the usual 50% funding/co-ownership license.

- Yoko credits the success of Korean version to what she described as "perfect cast". She was amazed by the cast assembled by the production company, who matched what she envisioned in her mind while drawing the manga. Matsujun fans will cry to hear that Yoko thought Lee Min Hoo to be the truer Domyoji Tsukasa than Matsujun. Likewise, Yoko also thought Koo Hye Sun was an excellent casting and wasn't bothered by the "Geum Jan Di is being played by a 25 year old actress old enough to be F4's big sister/aunt" controversry.

Interesting- I actually don't think of JH as the perfect guy... he has his own demons and luggage.

He just seems to take things much better, be more cerebral and thoughtful, and simply shares many warm, constructively happy moments with Makino. I can see them being a lovely pair... okay, I confess it doesn't hurt that I think they always pick a cuter actor for this character too!

BTW, I thought the scene where Ji Hoo and Makino pose in a wedding shot competition was amazing in terms of making a stunning couple-picture. Both exude such a soft, graceful air- makes you shiver to see them just standing there beside each other... much less shyly smiling at everyone and each other!
    "perfect" means different to everyone i think nearly-perfect??? lol it's fine with me too. Agreed with you about him being thoughtful To have relationship long last, not only love needed.

Ahhh i luvs that scene!!!!!!! they both look so compatible and looks a real couple, the smile and the shyness too I luvs when she kissed JH , and he's kind of surprise but sad at the same time too for him.

Hey, maybe I'm just slow, but found that the thread for Boys Before Flowers in the Asianfanatic site was full of comments! So you guys should also check that out in terms of English sites to hear more about people's opinions on this show.

I was heartened to know I wasn't the only Ji Hoo-Jan di crazy and they made some great points there
    1) They spent a lot more time developing Jan Di- Ji Hoo based apparently on how well received that pair was (or maybe to keep people guessing until the end)
    2) It is very clear that Jan Di loves JP more- and here the actress also made sure she portrayed the situation as such, and I for one see that and acknowledge that "that's how the story goes".

However, I (and a few others) think that had the director/story writers said "Let's have Jan Di fall for Ji Hoo again at the end, and let JP and his fiancee be happy together", that that would have been a beautiful thing to happen. The actress would have portrayed that as the truth, of how JD slowly discovers that she loves JH afterall and it would have been a splendid finish to a very nicely developed relationship betwen JD and JH! (And I thought JP's fiancee was quite cool too, so I wouldn't have felt too awful for JP! )

And Tanteun, I agree with you- I feel like JH, on top of all his other amazing qualities- is a builder of relationships, shy though he is... and the writers give JH and JD loads of relationship building scenes!

Thanks for the trivia JonDoe, and for being a fellow swooner over JH/JD Tanteun!

PS To be fair, I do agree that the actor of JP is actually a better actor than KHJ (actor for Ji Hoo)- I just like the character of JH so much better!
    Last edited by yanfeng; 05-29-09 at 10:49 AM.

I like how they expanded on Rui's character in this version.It formed a kind of triangle relationship typical of korean miniseries.
    "By nature, men are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be wide apart."