Thread: Getting Your Ears Pierced

Default Getting Your Ears Pierced

I am going to sound like a total baby after you guys read what this thread is about, but might as well...

I've been considering getting my lobes pierced for a while now. And yes, surprise, I haven't gotten them pierced yet. As a little girl I was pretty much a tomboy so I wasn't much into these things, and now that I've gotten a little less masculine I'm still a paranoid little girl who doesn't particularly like needles. However when I went snowboarding the other day and got a major *** beating, I decided maybe I should just suck up the pain and get them pierced. But then there comes the greater concern of how to go about doing this. Most of my friends get them pierced at Claire's, and I think that sounds REALLY SKETCHY especially since some of those friends have gotten ear infections. I mean, no offense to the Claire's people, but just the fact that they use the actual earring you purchase to pierce your ear sounds so SKETCHY. And since when does a "free" piercing really earn my trust?

I also heard guns aren't that great for your ears and should only be used on the lobes, but I was thinking about even getting the lobes done with a needle. Because again, the gun sounds sketchy. Again, I'm a paranoid sanitation freak so I don't want to take any risks. And it IS a big deal because there are a lot of things you can transmit through needles.

But yeah, just my lobes. I don't think I'm brave enough to try the cartilage or whatever. I love shopping and cute things, so I think I would enjoy wearing earrings, but I don't want to go through the possible negative consequences.

Questions for those of you with pierced ear lobes...
    1. Would you suggest that I get them pierced at a jewelry store like Claire's or go to a professional? Or another alternative (like piercing them myself? lol). Why would be helpful.
    2. Needle or gun, and why?
    3. How much does it hurt? (To give an idea of my pain tolerance, I'm a total baby who has never broken any bones, so I don't really know pain. But I don't think the needle they stick into your vein when you're getting blood work hurts...I do think my annual flu shot hurts quite a bit, but it's not the kind of pain I would cry over.)
    4. Did you get an infection after you pierced your ears? Because I hear this is fairly common, and I don't particularly like the thought.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

lol...oh suck it up and stop being such a whinny baby. Do you know how I got my ears pierced? I got mine done at the tender age of 5 by my mum. After cleansing the needle and sanitizing it with fire, she simply poked the needle through my ears and tied a knot to the string and whoah loah…my ears were pierced! I had on string earrings for almost a year and was only treated to a real pair of tiny hoops on my 6th birthday.

I still remember vividly how it was done, so let mummy pierce your ears, missy.

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    I still remember vividly how it was done, so let mummy pierce your ears, missy.
    Oh come on, given your abusive streak, I would never let YOU pierce my ears!

You know the most coincidental thing is that after I post this thread, my real mommy shows up and I'm like, "Mom, I'm getting my ears pierced, so fork over the money." (except in a politer fashion, of course) and she goes, "I have one-time use needles from work that I'm sure are much more sanitary than theirs. And I bet I could pierce your ears better than any professional."

The whole scenario is kind of like the part in The Parent Trap where Lindsay Lohan pierces the other Lindsay Lohan's ears. And I trust my mom as far as sanitation goes because she went to med school and all, but can you imagine? I would be laughing my *** off and moving around so the needle would probably go through my eye or something!
    Last edited by Sparky; 03-03-08 at 07:21 PM.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

*TEE HEE HEE HEE
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

<3 them.

Quote Originally Posted by imthatlady View Post
    *TEE HEE HEE HEE
    THANKS Miss Eight Piercings - that was very helpful. At least contribute something informative!

Wow now I don't really want to get anything pierced, period.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...a/Piercing.jpg

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Oh come on, given your abusive streak, I would never let YOU pierce my ears!

You know the most coincidental thing is that after I post this thread, my real mommy shows up and I'm like, "Mom, I'm getting my ears pierced, so fork over the money." (except in a politer fashion, of course) and she goes, "I have one-time use needles from work that I'm sure are much more sanitary than theirs. And I bet I could pierce your ears better than any professional."

The whole scenario is kind of like the part in The Parent Trap where Lindsay Lohan pierces the other Lindsay Lohan's ears, but still...with all due respect to my mom, I think that still sounds sketchy sketchy sketchy.
    Unless you can fork over the money to get your ears pierced by the "proffesional," I think you should give your mom idea a thought. Even though the notion does sound pretty damn barbaric. Ahhh, but I'm too clumsy to try something like this to my daughter.

I think you will get all your questions answered by our own proffesional piercing queen, jennie. But if you have any boy issue, then come to mummy.

Edit: Damn, jennie posted while I was still typing this post....so much for the help ^. lol

THANKS Miss Eight Piercings - that was very helpful. At least contribute something informative!

Wow now I don't really want to get anything pierced, period.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...a/Piercing.jpg
    ooh i had to go through that. it was great.<3

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    Unless you can fork over the money to get your ears pierced by the "proffesional," I think you should give your mom idea a thought. Even though the notion does sound pretty damn barbaric. Ahhh, but I'm too clumsy to try something like this to my daughter.

I think you will get all your questions answered by our own proffesional piercing queen, jennie. But if you have any boy issue, then come to mummy.

Edit: Damn, jennie posted while I was still typing this post....so much for the help ^. lol
    *tee hee hee hee

i'm studying for a mid-term right now! & just logged in here to see if anything was new and this thread kinda made me chuckle
    i'll come back to make a more informative post. toodles *****s!

<3 them.

I am going to sound like a total baby after you guys read what this thread is about, but might as well...

I've been considering getting my lobes pierced for a while now. And yes, surprise, I haven't gotten them pierced yet. As a little girl I was pretty much a tomboy so I wasn't much into these things, and now that I've gotten a little less masculine I'm still a paranoid little girl who doesn't particularly like needles. However when I went snowboarding the other day and got a major *** beating, I decided maybe I should just suck up the pain and get them pierced. But then there comes the greater concern of how to go about doing this. Most of my friends get them pierced at Claire's, and I think that sounds REALLY SKETCHY especially since some of those friends have gotten ear infections. I mean, no offense to the Claire's people, but just the fact that they use the actual earring you purchase to pierce your ear sounds so SKETCHY. And since when does a "free" piercing really earn my trust?

I also heard guns aren't that great for your ears and should only be used on the lobes, but I was thinking about even getting the lobes done with a needle. Because again, the gun sounds sketchy. Again, I'm a paranoid sanitation freak so I don't want to take any risks. And it IS a big deal because there are a lot of things you can transmit through needles.

But yeah, just my lobes. I don't think I'm brave enough to try the cartilage or whatever. I love shopping and cute things, so I think I would enjoy wearing earrings, but I don't want to go through the possible negative consequences.

Questions for those of you with pierced ear lobes...
    1. Would you suggest that I get them pierced at a jewelry store like Claire's or go to a professional? Or another alternative (like piercing them myself? lol). Why would be helpful.
    2. Needle or gun, and why?
    3. How much does it hurt? (To give an idea of my pain tolerance, I'm a total baby who has never broken any bones, so I don't really know pain. But I don't think the needle they stick into your vein when you're getting blood work hurts...I do think my annual flu shot hurts quite a bit, but it's not the kind of pain I would cry over.)
    4. Did you get an infection after you pierced your ears? Because I hear this is fairly common, and I don't particularly like the thought.
    sparky is such a big baby
    jK.
    LOL...honestly, the lobes arent really a big deal. I have 3 on my lobes..the first one was done by my mom(needle) when I was 1 yr. old and the last 2 was done last year at Claire's. since it's just the lobes, either the gun/needle is fine the lobes are the only time I would allow a gun to pierce it though. I would just go to Claire's.

why are u so afraid of them being sketchy? it's not like they use the same needle..they use the actual earring which is sterilized and used only once for the person getting pierced. and ear infections are actually very common so it's not a "greater" risk if you get pierced by a gun..all my other piercings were pierced with a needle and some of them got infected neways. but my immune system is kickass, so it was able to fight through w/o any help with antibiotics.
    just don't play with it or change the earrings for at least a month and a half n u should be fine.

is this ur first hole? if it's ur first hole..lol.. no, it doesn't hurt..getting a flu shot hurts way more and u can withstand that it hurts more as u climb the ladder though so the 2nd hole hurts more than the 1st and 3rd hurts more than the 2nd. actually, I can say the the 3rd hole was one of my most painful piercing

my 3rd hole got infected but it was a mild one so it healed after a week. probably because I didn't bother to clean it at all. got it pierced n was like ok, whatever. I didn't do nething to the 2nd hole either but that didn't get infected I guess it all depends on ur luck *teehee

<3 them.

Oh, little grasshopper, yes, I'll tell you about ear piercing.

I got my regular ear piercing at I think a Chinese jewelry store, in a shopping center, and I think remember they used a piercing gun--this one is actually my 2nd one b/c my first one got closed up for some reason I don't remember. And then for my cartiledge piercing, I went to Claire's. All done during my pre-highschool and high school years.

What does it feel like to get your ear pierced? Some say it feels like an ant biting your ear? Or I would like to refer the feeling as a bee sting. But seriously Sparky, it hurts way less than getting a flu shot or any shot,shots from needles into your arm makes you feel like you got punched in the arm. But ear piercing, the pain from the ear piercing gun starts going away gradually after a minute. I suggest when you do decide to get your ear pierced, to hold your breath as they pierce your ear, then start breathing slowly as its done. It's a little trick, that works for some people. After it is pierced, your ears will feel a bit tingley of warmth, but after you swab some antiseptic on, it'll feel cool. There's nothing to it, Spark.

But Claire's give you a antiseptic bottle to wash and treat your ear for the 4-6 week time period, I think thats how long you keep the earring in before change your earring. As long as you take care of your ears, I doubt you'll get an ear infection, because I didn't get an infection at all. Some of your friends' ears are just sensitive, that's why they do get it.

If you can't take ear piercing, I wonder if you'll ever have the guts for becoming a mother at all in your lifetime.

Sparky, When you actually overcome the FEAR of ear piercing, you'll see what a great scardy-cat you are now.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 03-04-08 at 12:27 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

i got my left ear pierced when i was 17, and worn it until i was 20. I remembered the lady rubbed some alcohol around the ear lob. Before I had a chance to get up, it was over. Therefore, you shouldn't be afraid because it's quick and painless.

After your ears have been pierced, don't take the earrings off or touch them for 2 weeks to prevent infection.

You can actually get a pretty good ear block by injecting local anesthetics around the ear so that the ear piercing is relatively painless - but obviously the local might sting a bit.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

so did u end up getting ur ears pierced yet?!!!!!!!!!!!

<3 them.

i did my first in VN with the gun, 2 at claires with the clipper things and a needle for my cartilage. DOesn't really hurt when u get it.. but as it is healing, it could hurt a bit when u keep touching it
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

When I was 8, my mom told me that I would get a chocolate bar if I pierced my ears. Considering the pain last about a second, it was worth it.

Some ppl are allergic to the jewelry. My entire family had our ears pierced at a a jewelry shop. However, mine closed after 6 weeks. I had them redone. Everyone got infections. My grandma told us to change to silver and gold and the infection went away. Some jewelry shops carry better quality earrings. Get those if you are scared. It is painful since it is done quickly. I had my ears pierced 4 times already. Lobes hurt the least.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

Don't worry, honey, I got my ears done last year at a hair salon shop and it didn't hurt at all. I was scared like you and was having second thoughts as the lady came closer to me with the gun but a soft pop and it was done. It felt slightly hot at first but I didn't feel any pain. You'll be fine
    Last edited by freeverse; 03-22-08 at 08:24 AM.

i suggested that you take a few shots and have a friend pierce it for you...just kidding...

Just let the "Little girls" at Claire do it for you..it's pretty painless..if it does get infected, just clean it every day wiht rubbing alchohol...

How many piercing are planning to get? I have three on each earlobe becasue my ear lobe are as big as Budha's lobe..i kid you not..hehehe..

Overall, it's pretty painless--go get it done. Good luck!
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

Don't be a baby lah...getting ears pierced is nothing. I got mine done when I was in Grade 9. Then went to a birthday party after. Didn't bother me.

I'm planning to get second set done soon. Very soon. What is UP with Chinese parents and not letting kids do second ear piercings !??!

Quote Originally Posted by imthatlady View Post
    *TEE HEE HEE HEE
    number of piercings - 8 and counting

Okay, lets see,

2 one on each ear,
    1 on your nose
    1 in the tongue
    2 one on each nipple
    1 on navel
    1 on you know where.

Total = 8