Thread: A wooden sword is not meant to be used like a metal sword

Default A wooden sword is not meant to be used like a metal sword

I believe that YG got it all wrong when he thought that reaching the next level of progression meant that he had to be able to use a wooden sword as if it were the heavy iron sword.

Evidence 1:

YG failed miserably in wielding a normal sword like the heavy iron sword in his fight against the BWM. At that point in time, YG's internal power was already incredibly strong. If he had fell so far short, how much more power would he have needed? Is it even swordsmanship, which DGQB is known for, if reaching the next stage just meant increasing internal power to a godly level?

Evidence 2:

JY said that YG's skills with a sword weren't particularly good. This is the most relevant evidence, imo. Why would JY say that if YG was close to mastery of DGQB's wooden sword stage? How could anyone that's close to mastering DGQB's wooden sword stage not be considered to have particularly good swordsmanship? The only logical answer is that YG was never close to mastering DGQB's wooden sword stage.

Personally, I believe that JY originally did meant for YG's method of training to be the right method for reaching DGQB's level but in later years his more advanced theories of mystical MA had caused him to think differently.

Although there's no direct evidence, I believe that DGQB's later stages can only be reached by having very advanced knowledge of swordplay such as DG9J. In SPW, it was made clear by JY that DG9J was the pinnacle of swordsmanship. Therefore a top swordsman should be someone who has full mastery of DG9J rather than someone who is able to use a wooden sword like it's metal. Because SPW was written after ROCH, I'm more inclined to go with the theories that are presented in SPW.

JY said that YG's skills with a sword weren't particularly good.
    Where did he say it ? Can you show the evidence?

If YG isn't considered to be good at sword then who that would be ?
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    Where did he say it ? Can you show the evidence?

If YG isn't considered to be good at sword then who that would be ?
    It was in an interview. I'm sure someone here has the link.

It basically went like this:

Question: So did YG learn DG9J or not?

JY: YG's swordsmanship wasn't particularly good because he didn't have access to DGQB's complete techniques. However, YG's internal power is stronger than Linghu Chong because of his years of training in the ocean or (water fall?).

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post
    It was in an interview. I'm sure someone here has the link.

It basically went like this:

Question: So did YG learn DG9J or not?

JY: YG's swordsmanship wasn't particularly good because he didn't have access to DGQB's complete techniques. However, YG's internal power is stronger than Linghu Chong because of his years of training in the ocean or (water fall?).
    But didn't that OLD FART also write that even if DGKB came back, he wouldn't be able to teach YG anymore?

That was about the heavy iron sword though.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Also, like I said in the OP, I think JY changed his mind on the subject in his later years.

When Yang Guo absorbed the internal energy of Huabinzi, it was stated that due to his extreme yin internal power, he would have trouble sustaining the unorthodox yang energy gained through Dugu Qiubai's snake bladder. One reason this might be is that Dugu Qiubai wasn't Chinese, and we know that Jin Yong is biased against non-Han martial arts. It only makes sense that Dugu Qiubai's martial arts would be considered unorthodox, and thus, not capable of opening the ren and du meridians inside Yang Guo's pathways.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    But didn't that OLD FART also write that even if DGKB came back, he wouldn't be able to teach YG anymore?
    He should have made a reference to this in every novel.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    When Yang Guo absorbed the internal energy of Huabinzi, it was stated that due to his extreme yin internal power, he would have trouble sustaining the unorthodox yang energy gained through Dugu Qiubai's snake bladder. One reason this might be is that Dugu Qiubai wasn't Chinese, and we know that Jin Yong is biased against non-Han martial arts. It only makes sense that Dugu Qiubai's martial arts would be considered unorthodox, and thus, not capable of opening the ren and du meridians inside Yang Guo's pathways.
    HYS is techinically chinese & his martial arts arn't "orthodoxed" either...

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I can't tell if this is a joke post but I'll just assume that it's not.

If my theory is true, I don't think it really matters if YG couldn't fully master DGQB's internal power techniques. Because like I said before, reaching a higher level of swordsmanship is not really about attaining more internal power.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post
    I can't tell if this is a joke post
    I knew I missed something.

I forgot to put it all in lower case.

PJ has reached the pinnacle of perfection in deadpanmanship.