Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: New Xi You Ji - Journey to the West (Zhang Ji Zhong 2009/2010 version)

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I'm still looking forward to seeing the ZJZ series. But having watched half of the prior series, I can't imagine that I'll find the ZJZ series any higher in production values. The 2009 version is quite lush with costumes and special effects. And I really like the way Fei Zhenxiang plays Monkey. I'm a bit disappointed that ZJZ's production elected to use full-face masks for Monkey and Pig. Yes, it means they look more like animals, but it also means I can't see the actors' faces and their mouth movements will be very limited. I'm sure that's a cost and time-saving choice as opposed to individual latex prosthetics, but I'm afraid it's going to detract from the performances a little.

Not that that is going to stop me watching the series. I'm going through withdrawals now that the 2009 series isn't available on online.

uhhhh the 2009 version also used full face mask for the monkey and so is the 1983 version by luc xiao ling tong.

the only versions not using full face mask is TVB hong kong by benny chan and dicky cheung and also the japanese version.

What do you mean the 2009 series isn't available on online?

unless you want to watch it with english subtitle than I don't know where you can find that but the 2009 series is on Tudou website.
    believe me there is so many uploader that every episodes is there and non missing.

do you know any english subtitle site for this series

Quote Originally Posted by bachtuyet View Post
    do you know any english subtitle site for this series

It's not even out yet?

lol if you're asking for the 2009 version with english subtitle than I can show you but first answer my question.

Are you Cong Chua Bach Tuyet? lol

do my pix look like cong chua bach tuyet to you or not?

here is more behind the scene look at the new xi you ji.

http://video.sina.com.cn/p/ent/v/m/2...061013003.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzOjeyb2YBU

NEW trailer that was recently shown.

This one focuses more on the cast/characters.

Several actors from the other large-scale myth series also appear in this series, including Ady An Yi Xuan (Lin Yue Ru from Chinese Paladin), Elvis Tsui (Bai Yue Jiao Zhu from Chinese Paladin), Cao Jun (Chen Xiang from Bao Lian Deng Trilogy), Shu Chang (Xiao Yu from Bao Lian Deng Trilogy), Liu Tao (Yao Ji from Bao Lian Deng Trilogy, Chang E from Feng Shen Yan Yi), Tang Guo Qiang (Yuan Shi Tian Zun from Feng Shen Yan Yi), Roy Liu De Kai (Jiang Zi Ya from Feng Shen Yan Yi, Fu Xi from Chuan Shuo (2010)), and Li Yuan (Wen Shen from Chuan Shuo (2010)).

It's funny that Tang Guo Qiang is playing Yuan Shi Tian Zun in this series, the exact same character he played in Feng Shen Yan Yi (2006/2009).

It seems to me that while the Zhejiang version has a superior Xuan Zang (played by Victor Chen, whom most have considered to be by far the best Xuan Zang to date) and Zhu Wu Neng (played by Xie Ning, who had already done the role at least three times before, in BLD, BLDQZ, and MHSJ), Zhang Ji Zhong did a better job of casting for the roles of Sha Seng (played by the vetern Elvis Tsui) and Sun Wu Kong (played by Wu Yue, who is probably the most renowned actor to portray the character of any version to date).

Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 01-17-11 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceKrillo View Post

NEW trailer that was recently shown.

This one focuses more on the cast/characters.

Several actors from the other large-scale myth series also appear in this series, including Ady An Yi Xuan (Lin Yue Ru from Chinese Paladin), Elvis Tsui (Bai Yue Jiao Zhu from Chinese Paladin), Cao Jun (Chen Xiang from Bao Lian Deng Trilogy), Shu Chang (Xiao Yu from Bao Lian Deng Trilogy), Liu Tao (Yao Ji from Bao Lian Deng Trilogy, Chang E from Feng Shen Yan Yi), Tang Guo Qiang (Yuan Shi Tian Zun from Feng Shen Yan Yi), Roy Liu De Kai (Jiang Zi Ya from Feng Shen Yan Yi, Fu Xi from Chuan Shuo (2010)), and Li Yuan (Wen Shen from Chuan Shuo (2010)).

It's funny that Tang Guo Qiang is playing Yuan Shi Tian Zun in this series, the exact same character he played in Feng Shen Yan Yi (2006/2009).

It seems to me that while the Zhejiang version has a superior Xuan Zang (played by Victor Chen, whom most have considered to be by far the best Xuan Zang to date) and Zhu Wu Neng (played by Xie Ning, who had already done the role at least three times before, in BLD, BLDQZ, and MHSJ), Zhang Ji Zhong did a better job of casting for the roles of Sha Seng (played by the vetern Elvis Tsui) and Sun Wu Kong (played by Wu Yue, who is probably the most renowned actor to portray the character of any version to date).

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/n6g3T.jpg')

Any updates? If there is no more scoops, it is most likely delayed.
    Jiang Hu, a Wuxia fansubbing team
    Currently seeking for more help!

Quote Originally Posted by abcd99 View Post
    Any updates? If there is no more scoops, it is most likely delayed.
    Zhang JiZhong is planning to adapt Journey to the West into a movie trilogy with an estimated budget of $300 million dollars! And he will be collaborating with James Cameron who will act as his script and technical advisor as well as handle the 3D technology that will be implemented for all three films. Neil Gaiman of "Sandman" and "Stardust" fame (a self-professed fan of Journey to the West) was hired to write the script for this trilogy. High on top of Zhang Ji Zhong's wishlist of producers to helm the director seat for at least one of the three films is Guillermo del Toro. Let's see how this turns out!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/nei...y-to-the-west/

http://www.slashfilm.com/neil-gaiman...eron-advising/

Quote Originally Posted by NarutoSakura View Post
    Zhang JiZhong is planning to adapt Journey to the West into a movie trilogy with an estimated budget of $300 million dollars! And he will be collaborating with James Cameron who will act as his script and technical advisor as well as handle the 3D technology that will be implemented for all three films. Neil Gaiman of "Sandman" and "Stardust" fame (a self-professed fan of Journey to the West) was hired to write the script for this trilogy. High on top of Zhang Ji Zhong's wishlist of producers to helm the director seat for at least one of the three films is Guillermo del Toro. Let's see how this turns out!

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/nei...y-to-the-west/

http://www.slashfilm.com/neil-gaiman...eron-advising/
    You serious?!?! Neil Gaiman, James Cameron AND del Toro?? My my, if they can pull that off, I think the movie is pretty much half way there. It also means that 75% of that 300 mil budget is gone too. LOL. These are not cheap people.

Honestly though. I can't see it happening. But one can dream i suppose.

Yes, THAT is a movie trilogy I would be on a watch out for. If indeed ZJZ were to be able to enlist all three big guns.

Default Neil Gaiman & Zhang Ji Zhong

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/sites/default/files/2011/03/neil_gaiman_zhang_jizhong_2011_l_a.jpg')

BEIJING – Neil Gaiman, the award-winning writer of The Sandman comics and the novella Coraline, has signed on to pen English scripts for a big-budget series of 3D feature films based on Journey to the West, China’s classic novel about the adventures of the Monkey King.

Gaiman, who grew up in England reading the 16th century epic fantasy in translation and watching a Japanese version of it on the BBC, joins one of China’s most prominent television producers, Zhang Jizhong, for his long-planned big-screen trilogy, replacing an earlier screenwriter, the two men said on Thursday.

Gaiman, 50, said the best part of his recent 10-day visit to China from his home near Minneapolis had been arguing with Zhang, 59, about which plot lines from the complex 2,000-page story to keep for the film series Zhang last year boasted would cost about $300 million to make.

China’s moviegoing audience is used to seeing Chinese classics told and retold and boosted box office grosses 64% by buying $1.5 billion in tickets in 2010.

Now the pressure is on Gaiman to write an outline over the next month that will attract enough investment to enable Zhang to hire the right director, the right Western and Chinese cast and the right team of computer animators to give the project a flight round the world.
    “We have to do what Peter Jackson did with Lord of The Rings,” said Gaiman. “We have to make it filmic, non-episodic. This story is in the DNA of 1.5 billion people.”

Gaiman and Zhang, who must communicate with one another through interpreters, say the series will find most of its funding in China but didn’t rule out an overseas co-producer.
    While shopping the project around in Hollywood recently the two met with Avatar director James Cameron who Zhang said has agreed to help them figure out how best to convey the story of a Buddhist monk’s misadventures on a pilgrimage across China to India. Gaiman’s friend Guillermo Del Toro is being courted to direct.

In Beijing for his third meeting with Zhang after they toured China together for inspiration, Gaiman said that nothing about Journey to the West was inherently Chinese, just as nothing about Romeo and Juliet was inherently English.

Assessing the challenge of distilling one of the four great epics of Chinese literature for the big screen, Gaiman hesitated: “To the West, there’s nothing inherently not interesting about Journey to the West. It has the best bad guys. That’s absolutely universal.”
    And Monkey has travelled. In 2007, a Monkey King opera by musician Damon Albarn and artist Jamie Hewlett, the co-creators of the animated pop band Gorillaz, hit big in the U.K. before touring Europe and the U.S.

In 2008, The Forbidden Kingdom, starring Jackie Chan and Jet Li in their first on-screen collaboration, grossed $128 million worldwide, including $52 million in the U.S., where it opened at No. 1 for Lionsgate and The Weinstein Company. Beijing-based Huayi Brothers, where Zhang is a contract TV producer, distributed the film in China. It stands as China’s No. 20 most-successful homegrown film of all time with a box office take of 185.5 million yuan ($28.2 million).

Gaiman said that Zhang came along just when he’d run out of steam writing a book about Journey to the West. “There he was, my third act,” he said, adding that he plans to turn his work with Zhang into an ending for the book begun for HarperCollins in 2007.
    That year, at a writers’ conference in Chengdu, Gaiman got a taste of being lost in translation in the Middle Kingdom while promoting the Chinese edition of his book American Gods.

“The audience started shouting at the interpreter and he shouted back. Apparently, he was convinced I’d written a book called American Dogs,” Gaiman said with a laugh.
    Gaiman said his script will begin with little dialogue and could end up relying on the Chinese CGI that so impressed him in Zhang’s TV version of Journey to the West.

“In China, you’ve got an awful lot of men who can put in an awful lot of hours. Your CGI money goes so much further,” Gaiman said.

Zhang said each of his TV episodes cost $200,000, an amount the BBC might spend on making just a few minutes of Dr. Who, said Gaiman about the TV series for which he recently wrote an episode.

The latest film version of Journey to the West comes as Beijing’s cultural establishment has vowed to ramp up investment in and overseas promotion of Chinese culture. Huayi, which raised $176 million in a listing on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange in 2009 and last year helped Disney and Fox make Chinese-language films, has pledged to support Zhang’s new project however they can.

With every upside to filmmaking in China, there’s a downside, often in the form of restrictions on creative control. At a press conference called to announce the film last May, Film Bureau director Tong Gang sat next to Zhang, a strong sign that the state would be watching how he handled the cultural treasure.

Asked if he felt that China’s censors might try to tell him how to interpret the classic, Gaiman said simply: “Monkey is irrepressible. The moment that you try to censor Monkey, he’s not Monkey anymore.”

---courtesy of hollywoodreporter.com

Is this going to be broadcast on CCTV?

Quote Originally Posted by we can View Post
    Is this going to be broadcast on CCTV?
    Yes, this will be broadcast on CCTV. There will be 50 episodes. I'm really looking forward to this as I hear an intense lot of effort and investment was put on the special effects and set designs.

im confused... is this being turned into a movie instead of a series/drama??
    since in the recent news you guys posted it says he is making a movie trilogy :S
    so is the movie a separate project or is ZJZ making this into a movie instead
    i hoooope noooot!

Gaiman said his script will begin with little dialogue and could end up relying on the Chinese CGI that so impressed him in Zhang’s TV version of Journey to the West.
    If you read the article closely, it mentions about ZZJ's TV version of JTTW. From what I understand, the article is about a possible JTTW film(s) in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaolong View Post
    Yes, this will be broadcast on CCTV. There will be 50 episodes. I'm really looking forward to this as I hear an intense lot of effort and investment was put on the special effects and set designs.

if you search on BaiDu, the news report said that their might be 60-70 episodes not 50.

most of you seem confused. So let me just clear it.

Zhang Ji Zhong is is in the process of making a 3 movies triology version which is probably 2 hours each and will be complete by 2012-2013.

and his TV series 60-70 episodes will start airing on CCTV this month.

Wu Yue is the monkey king for the 60-70 episodes TV series

on the 3 movies triology version, Donnie Yen will be playing as the monkey king.

any more confusion???

Now who can read chinese and go check the official airing date of the 60-70 episodes series? I can't find this info anywhere on the CCTV english website.

Quote Originally Posted by IPlayWow View Post
    if you search on BaiDu, the news report said that their might be 60-70 episodes not 50.
    Yeah, I said this months ago, but most people still haven't gotten the message. ZJZ himself stated that they had produced enough for 70+ episodes.

The Zhe Jiang version cut out all of the boring, pointless storylines and still managed 52 episodes. With the right amount of story and character development, ZJZ's version (which is COMPLETE) would have to be at LEAST 75+ episodes to suffice.

If SGYY and Shui Hu Zhuan can manage around 100 episodes each, then there's absolutely no reason why JTTW shouldn't be just as long. I expect EVERY character from EVERY storyline to be well-developed. Otherwise, FAIL.

If this series turns out to be as emotion-less and pointless as CCTV's overrated 1986 version, then it will be nothing more than glorified fancy special effects and pretty CGI.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 04-03-11 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceKrillo View Post
    Yeah, I said this months ago, but most people still haven't gotten the message. ZJZ himself stated that they had produced enough for 70+ episodes.

The Zhe Jiang version cut out all of the boring, pointless storylines and still managed 52 episodes. With the right amount of story and character development, ZJZ's version (which is COMPLETE) would have to be at LEAST 75+ episodes to suffice.

If SGYY and Shui Hu Zhuan can manage around 100 episodes each, then there's absolutely no reason why JTTW shouldn't be just as long. I expect EVERY character from EVERY storyline to be well-developed. Otherwise, FAIL.

If this series turns out to be as emotion-less and pointless as CCTV's overrated 1986 version, then it will be nothing more than glorified fancy special effects and pretty CGI.

You keep saying the original CCTV series of joruney to the west is emotion less and pointless. Would you care to explain that please? There are 25 episodes in the original. Tell me which part was emotion less and pointless.

Here I'll give you some point that I can say is pretty emotional in the original cctv jttw.

1. The theme song and ending song is very emotitonal.
    2. Monkey king bury under budha five element mountain and there was a song that came on, that part was very emotional enough to cry.
    3. the monkey king and pig acting skill made people laugh alot so how is it pointless.
    4. This is a story about a monk going to india in search of holy scritpture and not about hot girls okay. If you're searching for hot girls to watch than you might as well watch an XXX movie.
    5. I don't think you watched every episode throughly to even say that it's emotion less and pointless, I think you goet bored because the girls wasn't hot and the 1986 graphic was poorly made.

Lightbulb New Journey To The West 2011 Coming Very Soon!!!!!

I'm starting this new thread because the other one is not accurate on the name of the series.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/Haj7D.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/tEYxQ.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i.imgur.com/31ABd.jpg')

Hopefully this one will surpass the original 1986 CCTV version of Journey to the West.

Okay start the discussion guys....
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 04-04-11 at 10:40 AM.