Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: New Xi You Ji - Journey to the West (Zhang Ji Zhong 2009/2010 version)

Okay, now my faith is getting restored in this adaptation.

They're currently on the Women's Country storyline in the UPLOADS on YouTube, and so far this storyline has taken up the most time ... it runs from towards the end of Episode 31 all the way to the end of Episode 34 ... so a little over three episodes worth of story.

This is more or less the same as how long the Zhejiang adaptation spent on the same storyline. I still haven't watched it, so I can't compare Shu Chang and Wang Li Ke in the same role yet, but this was one of the most well-adapted storylines from the Zhejiang version.

In fact, the Zhejiang version didn't really take off until it hit THIS storyline. This storyline, the Fiery Mountains, and the Spider Demons were the most well-adapted stories from the Zhejiang version, and they EACH took up at least three episodes of the series.

So hopefully Zhang Ji Zhong also took the time to develop these storylines, as I felt he was really rushing it a bit ... this series may very well get to 70 episodes yet, depending on their speed in the second half of the novel (they'd damn well better take the time to develop the characters in the second half) ... which is where we are now.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 08-09-11 at 04:55 PM.
    http://kibescorporation.blogspot.com/
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

Zhang Ji Zhong HIMSELF said in a video interview that his adaptation ended up being over 70 episodes (more than twenty eps longer than what they had ORIGINALLY estimated) ...

... so it's quite possible that this is a cut/edited version at 66 episodes, and the uncut version will surpass 70 episodes.

And it really, really should, given the fact that the Zhejiang version took up 52 episodes despite the fact that it skipped over a LOT of storylines. That adaptation kept the PERFECT pace and had the right amount of story/character development.

The second half of the novel should take more episodes to adapt than the first, since all of the "richer" stories are in the second half. THIS is where the series should start getting really good. Most of the boring crap from the first half of the novel is now done with.
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceKrillo View Post
    Zhang Ji Zhong HIMSELF said in a video interview that his adaptation ended up being over 70 episodes (more than twenty eps longer than what they had ORIGINALLY estimated) ...

... so it's quite possible that this is a cut/edited version at 66 episodes, and the uncut version will surpass 70 episodes.

And it really, really should, given the fact that the Zhejiang version took up 52 episodes despite the fact that it skipped over a LOT of storylines. That adaptation kept the PERFECT pace and had the right amount of story/character development.

The second half of the novel should take more episodes to adapt than the first, since all of the "richer" stories are in the second half. THIS is where the series should start getting really good. Most of the boring crap from the first half of the novel is now done with.

Okay DVD it is, who's waiting with me?

I think this edited version took out like a whole part on episode 31....

have anyone watch this on real tv or dvd?
    so far the quality of this show on youtube look no better than the 70s version....
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

Quote Originally Posted by wandering View Post
    have anyone watch this on real tv or dvd?
    so far the quality of this show on youtube look no better than the 70s version....

DVD is not out yet. if you find one on ebay or something than chances are it a rip off version that is from the TV.

no idea how you can compare the quality of tv shows today to the one made in the 70s.... the graphic of today tv show im sure are more superior and more HD than the 70s. unless maybe you mean computer graphic or something. what 70 versions are you talking about? the original mainland version is 1986 25 episodes long.
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-10-11 at 12:15 AM.

i guess maybe the 80s version...
    the quality on youtube makes the graphics and animals costumes from this version seem pretty crappy

so i was wondering if that's due to the low quality upload of youtube
    and if anyone actually seen it on tv and the quality is more on par with other cgi series like chinese paladin etc.

the quality on youtube makes the graphics and animals costumes from this version seem pretty crappy

so i was wondering if that's due to the low quality upload of youtube
    and if anyone actually seen it on tv and the quality is more on par with other cgi series like chinese paladin etc.

it look just fine to me. I'm sure the cgi is ten times more superior than the c paladin series.

have you seen this.......

If you actually think the visuals and production values of ZJZ's version are even close to the cheesiness of the original CCTV adaptation ... then you're memory of that version is obviously a bit skewed.

You need to rewatch some of the 1986 adaptation so you can see just how cheesy and poorly edited it really was.

ZJZ's version is by FAR the most visually-stimulating and has the absolute highest production values of ANY adaptation produced in the past, including every single adaptation from Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, AND the mainland.

In addition, you should watch the trailers posted in the last several pages of this thread ... those are on YouTube in HQ. So yes, the poor quality of the video of the EPISODES are misleading. I'm sure the series looks far better (the way it ACTUALLY does) in high quality and especially in HD.

Because the trailers look absolutely incredible. In addition, all the good stuff is in the second half of the novels. All of the memorable demons and storylines are in the second half. Most of the epic stuff you're seeing in the trailers (gigantic, two-ton elephant stampeding ... gargantuan, nine-headed lion beast ... the Bull Demon King in his majestic, beastly form) are yet to come. All the best stuff is in the second half.

Seriously, only taking into account how the series LOOKS ... ZJZ's version makes past adaptations look like complete and utter piss.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 08-10-11 at 04:47 PM.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

ok after watching the clip you posted, it looks normal...it must have been the youtube version i was watching that was crappy then...i guess i will wait for the dvd so it doesn't ruin it for me.

If you actually think the visuals and production values of ZJZ's version are even close to the cheesiness of the original CCTV adaptation ... then you're memory of that version is obviously a bit skewed.

You need to rewatch some of the 1986 adaptation so you can see just how cheesy and poorly edited it really was.

ZJZ's version is by FAR the most visually-stimulating and has the absolute highest production values of ANY adaptation produced in the past, including every single adaptation from Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, AND the mainland.

In addition, you should watch the trailers posted in the last several pages of this thread ... those are on YouTube in HQ. So yes, the poor quality of the video of the EPISODES are misleading. I'm sure the series looks far better (the way it ACTUALLY does) in high quality and especially in HD.

Because the trailers look absolutely incredible. In addition, all the good stuff is in the second half of the novels. All of the memorable demons and storylines are in the second half. Most of the epic stuff you're seeing in the trailers (gigantic, two-ton elephant stampeding ... gargantuan, nine-headed lion beast ... the Bull Demon King in his majestic, beastly form) are yet to come. All the best stuff is in the second half.

Seriously, only taking into account how the series LOOKS ... ZJZ's version makes past adaptations look like complete and utter piss.

Would like to read your comment on just solely the monkey king performance. maybe for all the other series as well.

which monkey king acting is best?

Just based on what little I've seen of ZJZ's adaptation so far, I would definitely say that Wu Yue is the best actor that has ever portrayed Sun Wu Kong. Unlike Liu Xiao Ling Tong (1986) and Fei Zhen Xiang (2010), he's a REAL screen actor, not just some stage performer who is familiar with the character, and it shows on screen.

So far this has got to be the most believable, dramatic portrayal of Sun Wu Kong yet.

Liu Xiao Ling Tong is believable as a monkey, but his acting skills are really nothing to go crazy over. Probably why outside of JTTW, he really hasn't done much of anything else on TV.

I also like Ding Jian, who portrays the character in the Bao Lian Deng Trilogy, but his acting pales in comparison to Wu Yue's.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 08-11-11 at 11:30 PM.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

The YouTube episodes have now reached Episode 45.

Three of the recent storylines (Women's Country, Six-Earred Macaque, Fiery Mountains) have each taken up around three episodes ... which is about the same as how long the Zhejiang version spent.

Amazingly enough, they DIDN"T skip the red-scaled python storyline after all! I was sure they were going to, but it's definitely sandwiched in there. Just like in the novel itself, the story is pretty short and doesn't take up much time. So ZJZ didn't really add anything to it like the original CCTV version did.

I'm starting to believe that this is the FULL version of the series, not an edited one. And it seems like these are the storylines that they ended up skipping in this adaptation:

• Xuan Zang's origin story
    • The prophet/fisherman and the Dragon King disobeying the Jade Emperor
    • Gator-Dragon of the Black Water River

If they skip over no more storylines, then this adaptation is definitely useable. Based on cast info as well as what we've seen in trailers ... I can confirm that almost all of the remaining storylines are in the series EXCEPT for two of them:

• Leopard King of Southern Mountains
    • Feng Xian Prefecture (Land without Rain)

ZJZ had better have incorporated these two storylines in the series, especially the latter. If he adapted the red-scaled python story, then I don't see why he would skip either of these two.

The Gator-Dragon of the Black Water River is probably the least unique storyline in the entire novel. That's probably why he skipped over it.

That said, the YouTube episodes have now started on the Spider Demons storyline, and the combination of this storyline and the next one (the demon trio of the lion, elephant, and roc/peng) should take up quite a few episodes, historically speaking.

I did some math on the remaining storylines ...

... and it seems like the series probably WILL finish at about 66 episodes total ... which is the number that someone in this thread I believe claimed that the series would be.

I would have liked it to be an even 70 episodes ... and they probably could have hit that number if they had incorporated the three skipped storylines.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

I still can't figure out how wandering can say that the cgi look crappy.
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-12-11 at 08:57 PM.

From that clip the CGI actually does look pretty impressive!

For those who have watched it already, do FSF (as Er Lang Shen), Shu Chang (as Queen of Women's Country) and Ady (as Bai Gu Jing) have a lot of screentime? How's their acting? Thanks PrinceKrillo for the tidbit about Shu Chang's scenes being ep 31-34, do you happen to know off the top of your head which episodes have scenes of FSF and Ady? Thanks!

I'm not so sure if there is an ady person in journey to the west?
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-14-11 at 03:57 AM.

The YouTube episodes have now reached Episode 45.

Three of the recent storylines (Women's Country, Six-Earred Macaque, Fiery Mountains) have each taken up around three episodes ... which is about the same as how long the Zhejiang version spent.

Amazingly enough, they DIDN"T skip the red-scaled python storyline after all! I was sure they were going to, but it's definitely sandwiched in there. Just like in the novel itself, the story is pretty short and doesn't take up much time. So ZJZ didn't really add anything to it like the original CCTV version did.

I'm starting to believe that this is the FULL version of the series, not an edited one. And it seems like these are the storylines that they ended up skipping in this adaptation:

• Xuan Zang's origin story
    • The prophet/fisherman and the Dragon King disobeying the Jade Emperor
    • Gator-Dragon of the Black Water River

If they skip over no more storylines, then this adaptation is definitely useable. Based on cast info as well as what we've seen in trailers ... I can confirm that almost all of the remaining storylines are in the series EXCEPT for two of them:

• Leopard King of Southern Mountains
    • Feng Xian Prefecture (Land without Rain)

ZJZ had better have incorporated these two storylines in the series, especially the latter. If he adapted the red-scaled python story, then I don't see why he would skip either of these two.

The Gator-Dragon of the Black Water River is probably the least unique storyline in the entire novel. That's probably why he skipped over it.

That said, the YouTube episodes have now started on the Spider Demons storyline, and the combination of this storyline and the next one (the demon trio of the lion, elephant, and roc/peng) should take up quite a few episodes, historically speaking.

I did some math on the remaining storylines ...

... and it seems like the series probably WILL finish at about 66 episodes total ... which is the number that someone in this thread I believe claimed that the series would be.

I would have liked it to be an even 70 episodes ... and they probably could have hit that number if they had incorporated the three skipped storylines.

are you and that person so sure about 66 episodes?

I already found another mainland website tv station that say 60. so I think there is not just one edited version but more...

here is the link
    http://www.sun-tv.com.cn/2011/0616/433.html

http://www.sun-tv.com.cn

and here on this website it say....welll from mandarin translate into english it say....

Zhang Jizhong version of "Journey to the West" has been ordered to suspend broadcasting modify, or delete play

and here is link to the website to read the rest in mandarin of if you're like me than translate it using some tool some how....

http://ent.iqilu.com/tv/2011/0811/529164.html

http://ent.iqilu.com/tv/2011/0811/529164.html

Quote Originally Posted by mango_cake View Post
    For those who have watched it already, do FSF (as Er Lang Shen), Shu Chang (as Queen of Women's Country) and Ady (as Bai Gu Jing) have a lot of screentime? How's their acting? Thanks PrinceKrillo for the tidbit about Shu Chang's scenes being ep 31-34, do you happen to know off the top of your head which episodes have scenes of FSF and Ady? Thanks!

An Yi Xuan does not get appear very much at all. Her character, and practically the entire Bai Gu Jing storyline, starts at the very end of Episode 16 and covers all of Episode 17. The story is short, much like in the novel itself.

However, it should be noted that after watching that episode, I can definitely say that this adaptation of the storyline is the absolute best compared to any past version's. Primarily because ZJZ adds a layer of philosophical depth to the storyline. It makes every past adaptation of the Bai Gu Jing story (the exception being the Zhejiang adaptation's take on it) seem shallow and thin. There is also quite a bit of drama in this storyline. Based on the two or three *random* episodes I've sampled so far, this adaptation has been quite admirable, for the most part.

I haven't really watched any of Yang Jian's scenes in the series ... but the only times when he appears in the novel are when he kicks Sun Wu Kong's *** and hands him to Lao Zi ... and then later on when he helps the gang take down the Nine-Headed Hydra, Jiu Tou Chong. Not sure which episodes those are, but I'm sure he appears in those stories.

Quote Originally Posted by IPlayWow View Post
    are you and that person so sure about 66 episodes?

I already found another mainland website tv station that say 60. so I think there is not just one edited version but more...

Who knows how long the series actually is at this point.

The series has really rushed through some of the past several storylines, spending less time on them than I had anticipated and would have liked.

The Spider Demons storyline only took under an episode and a half ... the Zhejiang version spent nearly four episodes on that story and really fleshed out the story and the characters. Han Dong and Peng Dan were fantastic in that version.

But I guess that's what happens when you adapt directly from the novel, without changing almost anything. The Zhejiang version added a lot depth, emotion, and philosophy to many of the storylines from the novel, changing them up quite a bit ... ZJZ obviously didn't want to do that, but the result is that some of the stories are bland, just like in the novel itself.

There are still eight storylines left, and they've now reached Episode 50 on YouTube. So I guess it could end with just 60 episodes, which, to put it frankly, would really SUCK ***.

The problem here is the ZJZ is rushing through many of the stories. There's "drawn-out" and then there's "rushing." What he should have done was find the right balance between the two, which the Zhejiang adaptation had. Those storylines were well-developed and did not feel "too long" whatsoever. ZJZ COULD have done the same thing.

This storyline seems to have been adapted well. People on YouTube are commenting about how "kong bu" (terrifying, horrific) the scenes of Lady Earth Flow devouring the Tibetan monks are.

I'm glad. The Zhejiang version was too tame with this storyline ... they didn't have the guts to show the blood and gore and panned the camera away when she goes carnal on the monks.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 08-14-11 at 02:46 PM.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

An Yi Xuan does not get appear very much at all. Her character, and practically the entire Bai Gu Jing storyline, starts at the very end of Episode 16 and covers all of Episode 17. The story is short, much like in the novel itself.

However, it should be noted that after watching that episode, I can definitely say that this adaptation of the storyline is the absolute best compared to any past version's. Primarily because ZJZ adds a layer of philosophical depth to the storyline. It makes every past adaptation of the Bai Gu Jing story (the exception being the Zhejiang adaptation's take on it) seem shallow and thin. There is also quite a bit of drama in this storyline. Based on the two or three *random* episodes I've sampled so far, this adaptation has been quite admirable, for the most part.

I haven't really watched any of Yang Jian's scenes in the series ... but the only times when he appears in the novel are when he kicks Sun Wu Kong's *** and hands him to Lao Zi ... and then later on when he helps the gang take down the Nine-Headed Hydra, Jiu Tou Chong. Not sure which episodes those are, but I'm sure he appears in those stories.

Who knows how long the series actually is at this point.

The series has really rushed through some of the past several storylines, spending less time on them than I had anticipated and who have liked.

The Spider Demons storyline only took under an episode and a half ... the Zhejiang version spent nearly four episodes on that story and really fleshed out the story and the characters. Han Dong and Peng Dan were fantastic in that version.

But I guess that's what happens when you adapt directly from the novel, without changing almost anything. The Zhejiang version added a lot depth, emotion, and philosophy to many of the storylines from the novel, changing them up quite a bit ... ZJZ obviously didn't want to do that, but the result is that some of the stories are bland, just like in the novel itself.

There are still eight storylines left, and they've now reached Episode 50 on YouTube. So I guess it could end with just 60 episodes, which, to put it frankly, would really SUCK ***.

The problem here is the ZJZ is rushing through many of the stories. There's "drawn-out" and then there's "rushing." What he should have done was find the right balance between the two, which the Zhejiang adaptation had. Those storylines were well-developed and did not feel "too long" whatsoever. ZJZ COULD have done the same thing.

So what about the bottom link that I provided? What does that say since my mandarin is not that good and the translation toold that I used may not give the right translation.

Yang Jian battle with Sun Wu Kong in this 2011 series is epic and much better than the way they did it in the zhejiang version. all they did was made yang jian capture sun wu kong little monkey grandson and force him to submit.
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-14-11 at 02:50 PM.

I don't know, I can't really read Mandarin either.

And Google Translate is worthless for anything longer than short sentences. Their translations of entire paragraphs are almost always nonsense.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 08-14-11 at 02:56 PM.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

I don't know, I can't really read Mandarin either.

And Google Translate is worthless for anything longer than short sentences. Their translations of entire paragraphs are almost always nonsense.

.....well at least the sun tv station website say 60 episodes.

so whoever said 66 better come up with a good answer.

Baidu still say 70 and new pictures are updated.

episode 6 zhejiang 2009 version at around 31 minutes or something...take a look at the lame ness of yang jian....

the baidu link is kinda lonnng and messed up so im not gonna post it up and have people say it might be rick roll virus or something don't click but here is picture....

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1751/2011jttww.jpg')
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-14-11 at 03:15 PM.