Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: New Xi You Ji - Journey to the West (Zhang Ji Zhong 2009/2010 version)

I want to know why Buddha looks like Barack Obama in this adaptation ...

... anyway, the series has been rushing through a lot of storylines. Aside from what I already mentioned ... they only spent about an episode on the Bi Qiu Kingdom storyline (1,111 hearts of children).

At least Nan Ji Xian Weng (the Immortal of the South Pole) makes an apperance at the end of that story ... he's definitely my favorite disciple of Yuan Shi Tian Zun's after Jiang Zi Ya.

The rest of the series (the last eight storylines) had better be fleshed out, or the series definitely won't make it past ten more episodes.

Hopefully Lady Earth Flow takes up at least another full episode ... I'm expecting the Saint of Nine Spirits (Jiu Ling Yuan Sheng) story to take up a good three episodes (if it is adapted CORRECTLY, then it should) ... and then the second-to-last story in the series should also have enough to last a good three episodes.

Please someone explain to me where ZJZ gets off NOT covering the origin story of one of the two most important characters in the series? I don't understand that at all. He adapts the Tang Emperor's trip to Hell, but not Xuan Zang's backstory? Absolutely ridiculous.

And I haven't watched that part thoroughly, so I'm not even sure if they ever show Jin Chan Zi in the Buddhist Heaven, BEFORE his reincarnation as Xuan Zang.
    http://kibescorporation.blogspot.com/
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceKrillo View Post

... anyway, the series has been rushing through a lot of storylines. Aside from what I already mentioned ... they only spent about an episode on the Bi Qiu Kingdom storyline (1,111 hearts of children).

At least Nan Ji Xian Weng (the Immortal of the South Pole) makes an apperance at the end of that story ... he's definitely my favorite disciple of Yuan Shi Tian Zun's after Jiang Zi Ya.

The rest of the series (the last eight storylines) had better be fleshed out, or the series definitely won't make it past ten more episodes.

Hopefully Lady Earth Flow takes up at least another full episode ... I'm expecting the Saint of Nine Spirits (Jiu Ling Yuan Sheng) story to take up a good three episodes (if it is adapted CORRECTLY, then it should) ... and then the second-to-last story in the series should also have enough to last a good three episodes.

Please someone explain to me where ZJZ gets off NOT covering the origin story of one of the two most important characters in the series? I don't understand that at all. He adapts the Tang Emperor's trip to Hell, but not Xuan Zang's backstory? Absolutely ridiculous.

And I haven't watched that part thoroughly, so I'm not even sure if they ever show Jin Chan Zi in the Buddhist Heaven, BEFORE his reincarnation as Xuan Zang.

The TVB 1996 version covered the origin of buddhism....aka talking about the prince buddha himself...so i thought that it was good that they did that. i guess it would be better if zhang jizhong can put that in there.

we still don't have a final conclusion on 60...66...70 episodes....

as for your first question.... provide picture comparision....

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1751/2011jttww.jpg')

Found this video.

Combines footage from the trailers with the new version of the theme music.

Someone watch that and then say that this adaptation doesn't look absolutely SICK.
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

Episode 50 was just uploaded an hour ago ... and they're still on the Lady Earth Flow storyline at the end of the episode.

Good. Hopefully they'll continue to spend a little more time on these storylines. At this rate, I really don't think they can finish the rest of the novel in just ten episodes.

BTW, Lady Earth Flow has never had a better adaptation than this one right here.

Both her demon form as well as her rat beast form are shown in this episode, and they look GREAT!

In the original CCTV version as well as the Zhejiang adaptation, all she had were those stupid claws. In the original she didn't even do a damn thing, battle-wise. Here she's putting up quit the fight against Sun Wu Kong.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

Why is the English translation so bad? Don't they employ any of the thousands of returning Chinese overseas graduates who are now fluent in English? It's such a disgrace that something so simple can't be done right.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1751/2011jttww.jpg')[/QUOTE]

I think Google automatically translated that (or tried to, at least).

Anyway, they uploaded Episode 51 ... and the Lady Earth Flow story continues for the first 3/4 of the episode. While I'm glad that that storyline took a good 2.5 episodes ...

... it also boggles the mind how unbalanced the series is in terms of length. Some of the stories are given plenty of time to develop, while others (like the Spider Demons storyline, which only covered less than an episode and a half) are far shorter than they SHOULD be.

No Buddhist Monks Allowed should continue at least to the end of the next episode.

The two storylines that I've been concerned as to whether ZJZ might have skipped over are coming up next.

King of Southern Mountains and Feng-Xian Prefecture (Land without Rain). Whether these two storylines were adapted (and the latter had better have been) will determine if the series is going to last longer than sixty episodes.

Assuming they were both adapted to the screen, the two storylines should take the series all the way to the middle of Episode 55, at least.

From there, I would expect the Saint of Nine Spirits story to cover a good 2.5 episodes, taking it to the beginning of Episode 58. The Rhino Trio of Heat, Cold, and Dust Protection should last until the middle of Episode 59. The Jade Rabbit in India, I'm guessing, will get some focus ... probably take up a good 2.5 episodes at least. So starting with Episode 62, the second-to-last storyline (where they get framed for burglary and murder) will probably take up a good three episodes, and the final storyline will probably finish out the last two episodes, so 66 episodes is definitely still a possibility.

These are, of course, just estimations .... God knows how much time was actually spent on these different stories.

==============

I recently thought about the entire novel ... and honestly, I enjoy most of the storylines ... with only TWO exceptions:

1. Gold Horn and Silver Horn Kings
    2. Demon Trio of the Lion, Elephant, and Great Peng/Roc

Those two are probably my least favorite, most boring and repetitive stories in the novel ... I would have gladly traded either one of them to have the Gator-Dragon of the Black Water River story adapted instead.

The really ironic thing is, everytime those two storylines get adapted, they always spend FAR too much time on them. The original CCTV version spent too much time on the lion/elephant/peng ... as did the Zhejiang adaptation ... to the point of it almost being unbearable.

I hate those three idiots, and the story is completely bland and pointless. Surprisingly, ZJZ's adaptation only spent about 2.5 episodes on it, which is the shortest so far of any live action adaptation.

In addition, the ZJZ version can boast having by FAR the most stunning CGI of those three demon kings in their majestic, gigantic beast forms ... and they are featured prominently in the trailers. The CGI and the design of those three demons is probaby the only redeeming quality here.

The Gold Horn and Silver Horn Kings storyline is the other of the two worst storylines in the novel. Both the Zhejiang and ZJZ adaptations spent FAR too long on this story ... it's so f***** stupid it's unbelievable.

It's just Sun Wu Kong and the two idiot disciples of Lao Zi basically stealing Lao Zi's fabled treasures from one another, over and over again. Bleh.

And these two piss stories were adapted instead of the ones that ended up being skipped? Puh.

While I can see why ZJZ may have skipped over the Gator-Dragon story ... I still don't understand how he can skip over Xuan Zang's backstory. Xuan Zang is obviously one of the two most central characters in the novel ... why the hell wouldn't he cover his origin story? Ridiculous. Also, why not adapt the story of the Dragon King disobeying the Jade Emperor in an attempt to thwart the prophet/fisherman? That was one of the most clever storylines in the novel, and ZJZ skips it. BULL.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 08-14-11 at 10:30 PM.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

I think Google automatically translated that (or tried to, at least).

Anyway, they uploaded Episode 51 ... and the Lady Earth Flow story continues for the first 3/4 of the episode. While I'm glad that that storyline took a good 2.5 episodes ...

... it also boggles the mind how unbalanced the series is in terms of length. Some of the stories are given plenty of time to develop, while others (like the Spider Demons storyline, which only covered less than an episode and a half) are far shorter than they SHOULD be.

No Buddhist Monks Allowed should continue at least to the end of the next episode.

The two storylines that I've been concerned as to whether ZJZ might have skipped over are coming up next.

King of Southern Mountains and Feng-Xian Prefecture (Land without Rain). Whether these two storylines were adapted (and the latter had better have been) will determine if the series is going to last longer than sixty episodes.

Assuming they were both adapted to the screen, the two storylines should take the series all the way to the middle of Episode 55, at least.

From there, I would expect the Saint of Nine Spirits story to cover a good 2.5 episodes, taking it to the beginning of Episode 58. The Rhino Trio of Heat, Cold, and Dust Protection should last until the middle of Episode 59. The Jade Rabbit in India, I'm guessing, will get some focus ... probably take up a good 2.5 episodes at least. So starting with Episode 62, the second-to-last storyline (where they get framed for burglary and murder) will probably take up a good three episodes, and the final storyline will probably finish out the last two episodes, so 66 episodes is definitely still a possibility.

These are, of course, just estimations .... God knows how much time was actually spent on these different stories.

==============

I recently thought about the entire novel ... and honestly, I enjoy most of the storylines ... with only TWO exceptions:

1. Gold Horn and Silver Horn Kings
    2. Demon Trio of the Lion, Elephant, and Great Peng/Roc

Those two are probably my least favorite, most boring and repetitive stories in the novel ... I would have gladly traded either one of them to have the Gator-Dragon of the Black Water River story adapted instead.

The really ironic thing is, everytime those two storylines get adapted, they always spend FAR too much time on them. The original CCTV version spent too much time on the lion/elephant/peng ... as did the Zhejiang adaptation ... to the point of it almost being unbearable.

I hate those three idiots, and the story is completely bland and pointless. Surprisingly, ZJZ's adaptation only spent about 2.5 episodes on it, which is the shortest so far of any live action adaptation.

In addition, the ZJZ version can boast having by FAR the most stunning CGI of those three demon kings in their majestic, gigantic beast forms ... and they are featured prominently in the trailers. The CGI and the design of those three demons is probaby the only redeeming quality here.

The Gold Horn and Silver Horn Kings storyline is the other of the two worst storylines in the novel. Both the Zhejiang and ZJZ adaptations spent FAR too long on this story ... it's so f***** stupid it's unbelievable.

It's just Sun Wu Kong and the two idiot disciples of Lao Zi basically stealing Lao Zi's fabled treasures from one another, over and over again. Bleh.

And these two piss stories were adapted instead of the ones that ended up being skipped? Puh.

While I can see why ZJZ may have skipped over the Gator-Dragon story ... I still don't understand how he can skip over Xuan Zang's backstory. Xuan Zang is obviously one of the two most central characters in the novel ... why the hell wouldn't he cover his origin story? Ridiculous. Also, why not adapt the story of the Dragon King disobeying the Jade Emperor in an attempt to thwart the prophet/fisherman? That was one of the most clever storylines in the novel, and ZJZ skips it. BULL.

So why did this Sun TV station website put up 60 episodes will be broadcast?
    January 30, 2012

here is the link
    http://www.sun-tv.com.cn/2011/0616/433.html

http://www.sun-tv.com.cn

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3604/jttw20111.jpg')
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-14-11 at 10:34 PM.

Maybe they're going to edit it down to sixty episodes .... meaning that maybe the series currently airing is actually the "uncut" version?

All I care is that the episodes become available in higher quality soon. This current run is like a big damn tease.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey...011_TV_series)

On the Wikipedia page, it lists Cao Jun as playing Liu Chen Xiang. This has confused me for several months now, as I do not understand why the same actor who portrayed the Lotus Lantern character in the Bao Lian Deng Trilogy would even BE in this series.

It's possible that the series does NOT end with the end of novel ... and instead flashforwards 300 years into the future (which would actually STILL be the Tang Dynasty) and covers the Lotus Lantern tale as well.

Also, I just rechecked the cast list on that page and found that the King of Southern Mountains is credited/listed as a character, except they translated it as "Southern Hill King." So that storyline is definitely in the series, and it is NEXT.

Can't wait to see how they handle the Leopard Demon King.

In addition, Zhang Ji Zhong is credited as playing Lao Zi. I just watched one of his scenes (the first one, where he is cooking Sun Wu Kong in the Ba Gua Furnace), and it doesn't look like him at all ... is that really him underneath the fake white beard?

Originally, Roy Liu De Kai (Fu Xi in Chuan Shuo (2010) / Jiang Zi Ya in Feng Shen Bang (2007/2009)) was supposed to play Lao Zi ... but Zhang Ji Zhong ended up giving himself the role.

Considering the fact that Roy Liu De Kai is one of my three absolute favorite Chinese TV actors (the other two being Vincent Jiao En Jun and Shu Chang), I would have much preferred HIM in the role instead, and two out of three of my favorites would have starred in this series. Damn Zhang Ji Zhong.

At least Tang Guo Qiang portrays Yuan Shi Tian Zun in this series. He also portrayed the character in Feng Shen Bang (2007/2009).

Feng Shao Feng plays a pretty decent Yang Jian, but the absolute best portrayal is of course Jiao En Jun (Bao Lian Deng Trilogy), with Han Dong (Feng Shen Bang) coming in second.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 08-14-11 at 11:48 PM.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

Maybe they're going to edit it down to sixty episodes .... meaning that maybe the series currently airing is actually the "uncut" version?

All I care is that the episodes become available in higher quality soon. This current run is like a big damn tease.
    no that can't be true cause a friend that i talked to on wow said he was there at the opening ceremony and some of the stuff he saw is not being shown on the current TVS4 broadcasting channel.

either that or he was flipping channel when it come to commercial and he come back to it a minute or two late when commercial ended.

that kinda look like what the guy that is posting this on youtube is doing. sometimes you can see some commercial part. maybe he was being careless about it and skipped like few minutes before he notice commercial is gone and back to series.

I usually do that too when i'm watching the simpsons and the dam commercial come on and i just flip the channel and wait like 5 minutes than i come back and notice that i miss like 2 minutes of it.

another thing is...

BaiDu say 70
    TVS4 seem to say 66 according to whoever said it on here in this forum i think his name is coolchan something....
    Sun TV station website say 60

I'm wondering why CCTV isn't broadcasting this??
    isn't CCTV spose to be the one zhang jizhong work for?
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-15-11 at 12:53 AM.

In light of the brand new 2011 Zhang Ji Zhong-produced adaptation of 西游记 (Journey to the West), I went ahead and ranked my Top 25 favorite characters from the novel.

Bear in mind that this is a large-scale, Chinese mythology epic ... with somewhere between 100-150 major characters in total.

Feel free to post your own list of favorite characters.

--------------------

25. Marquis of Feng Xian Prefecture: a marquis who offends the Jade Emperor and dooms the people of his land to years of drought

24. Fox Demon of Bi Qiu: a vixen who seduces the King of Bi Qiu Kingdom and weakens him physically, convincing him to eat the hearts of 1,111 children; she is taken out by Sun Wu Kong and Zhu Wu Neng after Nan Ji Xian Weng subdues her lover, the Reindeer Taoist Immortal

23. Da Peng Jing (Great Peng/Roc Demon): the brother of the Peacock Godmother of Buddha and one of the three demon kings of Lion Camel Ridge; works with the Azure Lion Demon and Yellow-Toothed Elephant Demon to defeat Sun Wu Kong in an attempt to take Xuan Zang; is eventually subdued by Buddha himself

22. Xi Fang Bai Hu (White Tiger of the West): one of the Four Symbols in charge of commanding the 28 Mansions; participated in the battle between the forces of Sun Wu Kong and the Taoist Pantheon of gods

21. The Old Prophet: a wise old Taoist who can foretell the future using the wisdom of the Fu Xi Ba Gua (Eight Diagrams); makes a fool out of the Dragon King of the nearby river

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301547_574427291526_58502709_32184999_2478981_n.jp g')
    20. Queen of Women's Country: the ruler of Women's Country; wants Xuan Zang to stay with her as her lover and persuades him to abandon his quest for enlightenment

19. Feng Bo (Fei Lian): the God of Rain; one of the Taoist weather gods that battle Sun Wu Kong early on and later help him on his journey

18. Zhu Wu Neng: lecherous pig demon who was formerly the Taoist god Heavenly Marshall Tian Peng; accompanies the Buddhist monk Xuan Zang on a journey towards spiritual/philosophical enlightenment

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296792_574427286536_58502709_32184998_680342_n.jpg')
    17. Scorpion Demon: pipa-playing scorpion lady with a mesmerizing tune and a powerful sting; tries to rape Xuan Zang after snatching him away at Mt. Venom

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/300892_574439906246_58502709_32185149_8117042_n.jp g')
    16. Jiu Tou Chong (Nine-Headed Hydra Demon): son-in-law of the Dragon King of Emerald Lake; steals the fabled treasure of the Kingdom of Ji Bao and is finally taken down by Yang Jian

15. Mo Li Shou: one of the Four Heavenly Kings of both the Taoist and Buddhist Pantheons; fights Sun Wu Kong early on and uses a Naga serpent and a dragon jewel orb against him

14. Six-Earred Macaque: a freak-of-nature, much like Sun Wu Kong himself, with the power to perfectly emulate anyone; makes himself into a perfect clone of Sun Wu Kong until Buddha finally reveals his true form

13. Lady Earth Flow: an albino rat demon and adopted daughter of Heavenly Pagoda-Bearing King Li; feasts on the flesh of monks who give in to lust and succumb to her brand of sexual seduction; tries to take Xuan Zang as her lover; is finally defeated by her "brother" Ne Zha

12. Yu Long (Jade Dragon): the third prince of the Dragon King of the Western Seas; accompanies the Buddhist monk Xuan Zang as his steed on a journey towards spiritual/philosophical enlightenment

11. Bai Yan Mo / Jin Guang Dao Xian (Hundred Eyes Demon / Golden Ray Taoist Immortal): centipede Taoist demon in league with the seven spider demons of Mt. Silk; tries to poison Xuan Zang and his disciples and uses the power of his centipede eyes to take down Sun Wu Kong; is finally subdued by the mother of Mao Ri Xing Guan (Sun Rooster of Pleiades), one of the 28 Mansions

10. Chang E: the Taoist Goddess of the Moon; is responsible for Heavenly Marshall Tian Peng being banished to the mortal world after he makes a move on her; subdues her pet the Jade Rabbit after she causes havok in India and tries to marry Xuan Zang

9. Nan Ji Xian Weng (Immortal of the South Pole; God of Longevity): Taoist god and star; originally the eldest disciple of Yuan Shi Tian Zun of the Yu Xu Gong Taoist sect

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/298262_574427316476_58502709_32185000_5312242_n.jp g')
    8. Bai Gu Jing: skeletal demon of death who requires the bodies of other life forms in order to survive; causes conflict for the party at White Tiger Ridge

7. Xuan Zang (Jin Chan Zi): holy Buddhist priest who journeys towards spiritual/philosophical enlightenment; formerly the Buddhist deity Jin Chan Zi (Golden Cicada), whose body has been purified through ten lives of enlightenment

6. Niu Mo Wang (Bull Demon King): formerly the leader of the 72 Demon Kings of Ao Lai Guo (Japan); Sun Wu Kong's most formidable foe

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/292762_574427326456_58502709_32185001_6343500_n.jp g')
    5. Jiu Ling Yuan Sheng (Saint of Nine Spirits): an elderly nine-headed lion demon and the steed of Heavenly Taoist Master, Tai Yi Tian Zun; the grandfather of seven powerful lion demons; exacts revenge against Sun Wu Kong after he kills all seven of his grandchildren; is eventually subdued by Tai Yi Tian Zun

4. Yuan Shi Tian Zun (Primordial Lord of Heaven): one of the Three Pure Ones; Supreme Taoist Master at Mt. Kun Lun, head of the Yu Xu Gong Taoist sect, and disciple of Supreme God Hong Jun Lao Zu (Great Balance Ancestor)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296657_574427391326_58502709_32185005_7383258_n.jp g')
    3. Ne Zha: the Taoist Trickster God; son of Heavenly Pagoda-Bearing King Li; disciple of Taoist immortal Tai Yi Zhen Ren of the Yu Xu Gong Taoist sect; attempts to defeat Sun Wu Kong in battle and fails miserably

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205907_574427366376_58502709_32185003_61661_n.jpg')
    2. Sun Wu Kong: the Victorious Fighting Buddha and Great Sage Equalling Heaven; sprung from a piece of the Wu Se Shi (Stone of Five Colors) left behind by Supreme Goddess Nü Wa; disciple of Taoist immortal Yu Ding Zhen Ren of the Yu Xu Gong Taoist sect; accompanies the Buddhist monk Xuan Zang on a journey towards spiritual/philosophical enlightenment

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/291957_574427371366_58502709_32185004_5864152_n.jp g')
    1. Yang Jian (Er Lang Shen): the Taoist Judiciary God and keeper and enforcer of the Mandate of Heaven; disciple of Taoist immortal Yu Ding Zhen Ren of the Yu Xu Gong Taoist sect; Sun Wu Kong's greatest rival; duels against him and takes Sun Wu Kong down in an epic battle

===========================
    "Humans, while benevolent by nature, have the capacity for evil ...
    and demons, while evil by nature, have the capacity for benevolence.
    Demons exist a mere breath away from humans ...
    while evil exists a mere thought away from benevolence."

One of my favorite new philosophical quotes from the series, spoken by Xuan Zang in the 2011 adaptation.

So deep it's mind-blowing. THAT'S the power of the philosophy behind Chinese mythology.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 08-15-11 at 09:09 PM.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

In light of the brand new 2011 Zhang Ji Zhong-produced adaptation of 西游记 (Journey to the West), I went ahead and ranked my Top 25 favorite characters from the novel.

Bear in mind that this is a large-scale, Chinese mythology epic ... with somewhere between 100-150 major characters in total.

Feel free to post your own list of favorite characters.

25. Marquis of Feng Xian Prefecture: a marquis who offends the Jade Emperor and dooms the people of his land to years of drought

24. Fox Demon of Bi Qiu: a vixen who seduces the King of Bi Qiu Kingdom and weakens him physically, convincing him to eat the hearts of 1,111 children; she is taken out by Sun Wu Kong and Zhu Wu Neng after Nan Ji Xian Weng subdues her lover, the Reindeer Taoist Immortal

23. Da Peng Jing (Great Peng/Roc Demon): the brother of the Peacock Godmother of Buddha and one of the three demon kings of Lion Camel Ridge; works with the Azure Lion Demon and Yellow-Toothed Elephant Demon to defeat Sun Wu Kong in an attempt to take Xuan Zang; is eventually subdued by Buddha himself

22. Xi Fang Bai Hu (White Tiger of the West): one of the Four Symbols in charge of commanding the 28 Mansions; participated in the battle between the forces of Sun Wu Kong and the Taoist Pantheon of gods

21. The Old Prophet: a wise Taoist prophet who can foretell the future using the wisdom of the Fu Xi Ba Gua (Eight Diagrams); makes a fool out of the Dragon King of the nearby river

20. Queen of Women's Country: the ruler of Women's Country; wants Xuan Zang to stay with her as her lover and persuades him to forego his quest for enlightenment

19. Feng Bo (Fei Lian): the God of Rain; one of the Taoist weather gods that battle Sun Wu Kong early on and later help him on his journey

18. Zhu Wu Neng: lecherous pig demon who was formerly the Taoist god Heavenly Marshall Tian Peng; accompanies the Buddhist monk Xuan Zang on a journey towards spiritual/philosophical enlightenment

17. Scorpion Demon: pipa-playing scorpion lady with a mesmerizing tune and a powerful sting; tries to rape Xuan Zang after snatching him away at Mt. Venom

16. Jiu Tou Chong (Nine-Headed Hydra Demon): son-in-law of the Dragon King of Emerald Lake; steals the fabled treasure of the Kingdom of Ji Bao and is finally taken down by Yang Jian

15. Mo Li Shou: one of the Four Heavenly Kings of both the Taoist and Buddhist Pantheons; fights Sun Wu Kong early on and uses a Naga serpent and a dragon jewel orb against him

14. Six-Earred Macaque: a freak-of-nature, much like Sun Wu Kong himself, with the power to perfectly emulate anyone; makes himself into a perfect clone of Sun Wu Kong until Buddha finally reveals his true form

13. Lady Earth Flow: an albino rat demon and adopted daughter of Heavenly Pagoda-Bearing King Li; feasts on the flesh of monks who succumb to her brand of sexual seduction; tries to take Xuan Zang as her lover; is finally defeated by her "brother" Ne Zha

12. Yu Long (Jade Dragon): the third prince of the Dragon King of the Western Seas; accompanies the Buddhist monk Xuan Zang as his steed on a journey towards spiritual/philosophical enlightenment

11. Bai Yan Mo / Jin Guang Dao Xian (Hundred Eyes Demon / Golden Ray Taoist Immortal): centipede Taoist demon in league with the seven spider demons of Mt. Silk; tries to poison Xuan Zang and his disciples and uses the power of his centipede eyes to take down Sun Wu Kong; is finally subdued by the mother of Mao Ri Xing Guan (Sun Rooster of Pleiades), one of the 28 Mansions

10. Chang E: the Taoist Goddess of the Moon; is responsible for Tian Peng Yuan Shuai being banished to the mortal world after he makes a move on her; subdues her pet the Jade Rabbit after she causes havok in India and tries to marry Xuan Zang

9. Nan Ji Xian Weng (Immortal of the South Pole; God of Longevity): Taoist god and star; originally the eldest disciple of Yuan Shi Tian Zun

8. Bai Gu Jing: skeletal demon of death who requires the bodies of other life forms in order to survive; causes conflict for the party at White Tiger Ridge

7. Xuan Zang (Jin Chan Zi): holy Buddhist priest who journeys towards spiritual/philosophical enlightenment; formerly the Buddhist deity Jin Chan Zi (Golden Cicada), whose body has been purified through ten lives of enlightenment

6. Niu Mo Wang (Bull Demon King): formerly the leader of the 72 Demon Kings of Ao Lai Guo (Japan); Sun Wu Kong's most formidable foe

5. Jiu Ling Yuan Sheng (Saint of Nine Spirits): an elderly nine-headed lion demon and the steed of Heavenly Taoist Master, Tai Yi Tian Zun; the grandfather of seven powerful lion demons; exacts revenge against Sun Wu Kong after he kills all seven of his grandchildren; is eventually subdued by Tai Yi Tian Zun

4. Yuan Shi Tian Zun (Primordial Lord of Heaven): one of the Three Pure Ones; Supreme Taoist Master at Mt. Kun Lun and disciple of Supreme God Hong Jun Lao Zu (Great Balance Ancestor)

3. Ne Zha: the Taoist Trickster God; son of Heavenly Pagoda-Bearing King Li; battles against Sun Wu Kong and fails miserably

2. Sun Wu Kong: the Victorious Fighting Buddha and Great Sage Equalling Heaven; sprung from a piece of the Wu Se Shi (Stone of Five Colors) left behind by Supreme Goddess Nü Wa; accompanies the Buddhist monk Xuan Zang on a journey towards spiritual/philosophical enlightenment

1. Yang Jian (Er Lang Shen): the Taoist Judiciary God; Sun Wu Kong's greatest rival; duels against him and takes Sun Wu Kong down in an epic battle

"Humans, while benevolent by nature, have the capacity for evil ...
    and demons, while evil by nature, have the capacity for benevolence.
    Demons exist a mere breath away from humans ...
    while evil exists a mere thought away from benevolence."

One of my favorite new philosophical quotes from the series, spoken by Xuan Zang in the 2011 adaptation.

So deep it's mind-blowing. THAT'S the power of the philosophy behind Chinese mythology.

now I have never really took a look at the book... but if I were to rank three best character from the zhang jizhong version....
    it would be....from the top....

1....Sun Wu Kong
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1866/123paa.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/9917/swk2011.jpg')

2....Yang Jian <<<< watch episode 5 and 6 and you'll understand
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3681/zhangjian.jpg')

3....Zhu Ba Jie
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8670/zhubaji2011.jpg')
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-15-11 at 06:48 PM.

Good news: both the Leopard King of Southern Mountains and the Feng Xian Prefecture storylines were adapted.

Bad news: ZJZ REALLY rushed through them. Damn.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/291957_574427371366_58502709_32185004_5864152_n.jp g')
    1. Yang Jian (Er Lang Shen): the Taoist Judiciary God and keeper and enforcer of the Mandate of Heaven; disciple of Taoist immortal Yu Ding Zhen Ren of the Yu Xu Gong Taoist sect; Sun Wu Kong's greatest rival; duels against him and takes Sun Wu Kong down in an epic battle
    While I do not know nearly as much about JTTW or Chinese mythology as you do...can I just say, I LOVE that your top pick was Er Lang Shen?? Especially accompanied by that wonderful pic of Vincent Jiao. He's my favourite Chinese mythology character too (mostly due to Vincent's portrayal) and makes me even more excited to see FSF's version. ^_^

Also, I love NeZha too (from watching cartoons of his stories as a kid LOL). And obviously Sun Wu Kong is the protagonist so he should be first or second...so, basically, I am in totaly agreement with your top 3 rank. (Btw is NeZha played by a girl?? Sure looks like it in that pic.) I also really like Chang'E though--I always felt so bad for her because being the moon goddess sounds like such a romantic thing but in reality it's so cold and bleak for her to be stuck up in that dreary place all alone with only her rabbit and that tree to keep her company. (But, that's mostly from other stories--I don't recall how she was portrayed in JTTW.)

Yeah, it's really good to remember that that's the great thing about the recent/current crop of Chinese mythology TV series and the pool of actors that star in them ...

... that they are ALL interrelated and are all part of the SAME universe, with all these different characters crossing over and appearing in multiple series. And the same actors portraying different characters in different series.

But it's still all tied together in the universe of Chinese myth. You really can't get that kind of continuity in ANYTHING else in the world of fiction or entertainment. I mean, seriously ... nothing that's also based on stories and characters that have been passed down for thousands of years.

Seriously ... of the entire world of video entertainment ... television, cinema, gaming ... nothing else even comes close.

There is absolutely nothing else in entertainment that delivers everything that these Chinese mythology TV series can deliver, collectively, as part of a whole.

• Stories and characters based on myth and legend that has been passed down for thousands of years in one of the most ancient civilizations in the planet's history
    • Stories and characters that SPAN across a timeline of over five thousand years, from the Age of Creation to the modern era, and every dynasty in-between
    Large-scale, epic stories that blend every genre imaginable, with drama, emotion, action, fantasy, philosophy, politics, romance, and more all in ONE package
    • Characters that are essentially IMMORTAL and therefore can have roles in multiple stories within this SAME universe spanning thousands of years
    A universe driven by Taoism, the ancient and true philosophy of China, in which the elements and themes of the mythology DIRECTLY explore the deep, universal, and wisdom-filled philosophies of Taoism

When it all comes down to it ... just using Er Lang Shen Yang Jian as an example ... one minute he is portrayed by the incomparable Vincent Jiao En Jun in the Bao Lian Deng Trilogy ... when the next you're watching Han Dong portray Yang Jian in Feng Shen Bang, or the same character being portrayed by more actors in Journey to the West and Chuan Shuo (2010). Then you look and you see that Vincent Jiao portrays a different character, Shen Nong in Chuan Shuo.

In other words, you have the SAME actor portraying DIFFERENT characters in different series (such as Roy Liu De Kai portraying Jiang Zi Ya in Feng Shen Bang and Fu Xi in Chuan Shuo, Ady An Yi Xuan portraying two different characters in Chinese Paladin and Journey to the West (2011), or Shu Chang portraying two different characters in Bao Lian Deng and Journey to the West (2011), just to give a couple of examples) ...

... but you also have DIFFERENT actors portraying the SAME character in different series (such as Sun Wu Kong being played by Wu Yue in Journey to the West (2011) and by Ding Jian in the Bao Lian Deng Trilogy, or the characters of Yang Jian, Chang E, Ne Zha, Zhu Wu Neng, the Jade Emperor, Yuan Shi Tian Zun, and plenty of others ... all of whom appear in multiple series related to Chinese myth but are played by different actors)

Everything is tied together by the same myth, the same themes, the same philosophy. And it's the same pool of actors (Vincent Jiao, Roy Liu, Shu Chang, Ady An, Hu Ge, Wu Yue, Han Dong, Liu Tao, Yvonne Lim, Xie Ning, Wen Qing, Crystal Liu, Yang Mi, Wallace Huo, Wang Li Ke, Cecilia Han, Fan Bing Bing, Steve Ma, Victor Chen, Tang Guo Qiang, Elvis Tsui, Liu Shi Shi, Tiffany Tang, Ding Jun, Guo Kai Min, Yue Yao Li, Zhou Yang, Ruby Lin, etc.) that truly makes Chinese mythology the absolute GREATEST universe in the entire whole of television, cinema, and video game entertainment.

Bar NONE.

Chinese mythology and Taoism FOREVER. And the two go hand-in-hand. You cannot have one without the other. It is impossible to tell Chinese myth without diving into Taoist philosophies and elements ... and it is impossible to contemplate or debate Taoist philosophies without discovering its origins in Chinese myth.

Both DEFINE the history of the civilization of China, and both complement one another.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/185254_574468878186_58502709_32185878_1555529_n.jp g')
    Yang Jian (Vincent Jiao)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/300768_574468893156_58502709_32185879_6253005_n.jp g')
    Fu Xi (Roy Liu)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299890_574468948046_58502709_32185883_4852682_n.jp g')
    Su Da Ji (Fan Bing Bing)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296747_574468938066_58502709_32185882_4329536_n.jp g')
    Chong Lou (Jerry Huang)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/300493_574468913116_58502709_32185881_6888404_n.jp g')
    San Sheng Mu (Zhou Yang)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/296273_574468903136_58502709_32185880_6334648_n.jp g')
    Shen Nong (Vincent Jiao)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/300365_574468953036_58502709_32185884_2084026_n.jp g')
    Jiang Zi Ya (Roy Liu)

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/297094_574469027886_58502709_32185885_2385312_n.jp g')
    Sun Wu Kong (Wu Yue)
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 08-16-11 at 02:13 AM.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

This is the exact same monk costumes used in the heaven sword dragon sabre 2009 version zhang jizhong. notice on the right side of the costume you can see some kind of sign.... it look exactly the same as yi tian du long 2009 monk costume.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3451/tweard.jpg')

Episode 60 seem so rushed and it kinda look like the end. well at least the one that was posted on youtube....

We'll have to wait till next year to know if the HD TV version will be or not. and than the DVD to compare all together.

because zhang jizhong im pretty sure said he filmed more than 60 episodes.

TVS4 website said 66....the one posted on youtube does not say TVS4 on it....

TVS4... station is still broadcasting and they are at episode 43-44.... no idea where this youtube person is getting this jttw 2011 version from but it does not say TVS 4... you can check for yourself....
    here is the link
    http://tvs4.tvscn.com/

http://tvs4.tvscn.com/

here in this pic there is a TVS4 channel logo top left....episode 3

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8708/stv4.jpg')

here in this pic in episode 50 something it doesn't show....the logo....and TVS4 have not even broadcast to episode 50 yet...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3451/tweard.jpg')
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-17-11 at 09:48 PM.

I can imagine that there could easily be the makings of an extra 5-10 episodes cut out from the horribly edited tv version that we've been following.
    It's a testament to ZJZ's skill that even with the bad cuts, the show has still been largely watchable.

Just found out from Baidu bar "09西游记“ that the version on Youtube has been cut by TV station and with bad picture quality. The complete version is 66 episodes (each with 45 min long), not 60. Some important plots have been cut out.

You can download the complete version but the poster seems to want to get more credit. For example, he wants to people to mention his name ... etc