Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: New Xi You Ji - Journey to the West (Zhang Ji Zhong 2009/2010 version)

Check wikipedia today.

Saw TAE acting as Avalokiteśvara. Wow, what a surprise.

I initially thought he will act the chinese Guan Yin which will be strange since he's a guy. Turn's out he will playing the male version.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by IPlayWow View Post
    Episode 60 seem so rushed and it kinda look like the end. well at least the one that was posted on youtube....

We'll have to wait till next year to know if the HD TV version will be or not. and than the DVD to compare all together.

because zhang jizhong im pretty sure said he filmed more than 60 episodes.

TVS4 website said 66....the one posted on youtube does not say TVS4 on it....

TVS4... station is still broadcasting and they are at episode 43-44.... no idea where this youtube person is getting this jttw 2011 version from but it does not say TVS 4... you can check for yourself....
    here is the link
    http://tvs4.tvscn.com/

here in this pic there is a TVS4 channel logo top left....episode 3

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8708/stv4.jpg')

here in this pic in episode 50 something it doesn't show....the logo....and TVS4 have not even broadcast to episode 50 yet...

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/3451/tweard.jpg')

here pix today TVS4 website....8-19-2011 or probably 8-20-2011 already if it mainland time zone...So no idea where the youtube guy got to episode 60 from.... some tv station must have leaked it out. cause no way it can finish showing that fast...

TVS4 aired it first on July 28-2011 and now it's August 19-2011 or august 20-2011 in the mainland. and they air two episodes a day. so it been 24 days.............24 x 2 = 48 and it's exactly what TVS4 is showing episode 47-48

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3065/njjttwtvs4.jpg')
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-19-11 at 07:59 PM.

To IPlayWow:

Besides TVS4, Hu Nan TV Station also started to air the show on 7/28. They started to play 3 episodes/day instead of 2 after Aug 1st. But Hu Nan Station did lots of cuts and limited the series to only 60 episodes. The one on youtube and most internet sites follow the version from Hu Nan Station since it finished the first. That's why some people feel the show seems rushed and lacks transitions and details.

I think Chong Qing TV Station airs the most complete version with 66 episodes.
    I don't know about TVS4 since it's too early to tell.

I made lists of my favorite (as well as least favorite) stories from the novel:

TOP TEN STORYLINES
    • Seven Spider Demons of Mt. Silk
    • The Taoist Oracle of Chang An and the Dragon King of the Jing River
    • Bai Gu Jing at White Tiger Ridge
    • Origin Story of Xuan Zang
    • Lady Earth Flow in Tibet
    • Women's Country
    • 1,111 Hearts of Children in the Kingdom of Bi Qiu
    • Zhu Wu Neng Terrorizes Gao Manor
    • The Six-Earred Macaque Impersonates Sun Wu Kong
    • The Tang Emperor's Journey to Hell and Back / Endless Drought at Feng Xian Prefecture (tie)

MOST OVERLOOKED STORYLINE
    Gator-Dragon of Black Water River

THREE WORST STORYLINES
    • Azure Water Buffalo King of Mt. Golden Pouch
    • Demon Trio at Lion Camel Ridge
    • Gold Horn and Silver Horn Kings of Lotus Cave
    http://kibescorporation.blogspot.com/
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

Zhang Ji Zhong's adaptation has proven to be by far the most faithful adaptation of the novel (in ANY format), and if there IS an unedited version, then it probably has nearly every detail of the novel translated to television. So this really is probably currently the best translation of the story available. I wouldn't say that it's "better" than last year's Zhe Jiang adaptation, but that version changed/enhanced many of the storylines to flesh them out more and give them more depth ... however, that also detracts from the source material.

The currently aired version of ZJZ's adaptation lacks a couple of key storylines (Xuan Zang's backstory and the story of the Taoist oracle and Dragon King of the Jing River ... in the novel, those stories take place before the Tang emperor's trip to Hell and back ). The story with the Taoist oracle and Dragon King as well as the Tang emperor's death and revival are actually somewhat connected, and the whole point is to set up the acceptance and embracing of Buddhism by the emperor (so that he actually SPONSORS and endorses the pilgrimage, so to speak), or something to that effect (I'm not even that sure myself ... that's always been a confusing and convoluted part of the novel, and nearly every adaptation, TV or film, has avoided it until now).

That is, of course, assuming that there really is a COMPLETE version, six episodes longer than what has aired. Six extra episodes would definitely account for the three skipped storylines, as well as additional scenes here and there that may or may not have been cut. Personally, I hope ZJZ did translate those storylines to television, and that they were simply cut out. It would be a damn shame if the full, complete version never sees light.

In addition, I have to add that while the original CCTV 1986 adaptation is considered the default "classic" adaptation ... both of the two more recent adaptations do a much better job at both conveying the philosophical wisdom of Chinese mythology and Taoism/Buddhism, as well as more believable, emotional, and dramatic portrayals of the various characters. I am also quite sure that all other past adaptations also pale in comparison. The recent adaptations have raised the standard (in every area) to a level that past versions simply cannot touch.
    "The Universe is Zero-Sum ... Opposing Forces Maintaining an Intricate and Eternal Balance."
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

The 66-episode version is already out!
    If you read Chinese, you can download the series from the following place --
    http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1179046485
    (from page 1 to 7)

Zhang Jizhong's production skips Jing River, background story of Tang Zeng and Black Water. The 60-episode version has ALL the stories the "uncut" version has. It's just "rushed". For example, the Trio of Lion, Elephant and Candor story is 3-and-half episode long but it's only 2-episode long in the 60-episode version. Lots of dialogue and fighting scenes are cut by TV station.

The 80s version is still deemed "classic" since it's the most dedicated adaption to the novel. The entire crew spent 6 years to film the 25 episodes. The stories are well paced and no bugs or mistakes. TV productions nowadays don't have money or time to do anything like this.

I'm looking for the sub song in EPS 20. It's duet song. Anyone know who are the girl & guy that sing that song.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky View Post
    I'm looking for the sub song in EPS 20. It's duet song. Anyone know who are the girl & guy that sing that song.
    The song is called "来生相见的记号”

But I don't know who are the singers.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTigger View Post
    The song is called "来生相见的记号”

But I don't know who are the singers.
    Thank you, I'll look for it. I hope they release the OST of Journey to the West.

so now that it confirmed that there is a 60 and 66 version what about the 70 episodes version that baidu still say on their site.

pic today August - 26 - 2011 TVS4 station website say Journey to the West Episode 61-62

2 more days it will be over than it will broadcast next year in january 30 2012

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9756/jttw2000111.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/1751/2011jttww.jpg')
    Last edited by IPlayWow; 08-26-11 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerTigger View Post
    The 80s version is still deemed "classic" since it's the most dedicated adaption to the novel. The entire crew spent 6 years to film the 25 episodes. The stories are well paced and no bugs or mistakes. TV productions nowadays don't have money or time to do anything like this.

Zhang Ji Zhong's adaptation has already proven to be the most faithful adaptation of the novel ever produced. The original CCTV version WAS the most faithful, it's not anymore.

A great example is the Nine-Headed Hydra storyline in the Kingdom of Ji Sai.

I just watched that storyline from the ZJZ adaptation in its entirety. It is a FAR more accurate adaptation than the original CCTV version's take.

Most people are probably familiar with how they produced that storyline in the original version.

In the ZJZ adaptation, it's an incredibly close translation from novel to television. Key moments in the plot, such as:

- Zhu Wu Neng being detained by the Nine-Headed Prince
    - Sun Wu Kong transforming into a crab in order to infiltrate the dragon palace
    - his cudgel killing the Dragon King first
    - Sun Wu Kong being ashamed/embarrassed to confront Yang Jian ... and then the two of them making amends, and Sun Wu Kong showing humility in front of Er Lang Shen
    - taking the Dragon King's wife as prisoner
    - changing the name of the pagoda in the end

were all present in ZJZ's version but were absent from the CCTV version. In fact, the original version deviated heavily from the plot. They even put the Jade Dragon into the mix and gave him a backstory/history with the Nine-Headed Prince. That was NOT present in the novel.

In addition ... "well-paced?" Are you serious? The way that the episodes were set up in the original CCTV adaptation was incredibly stupid. Just because the novel is episodic doesn't mean the storylines should have been presented that way. Both long and short storylines were squeezed into a SINGLE episode ... even though the episodes deviated slightly in running time, it still resulted in an incredibly UNBALANCED series, in which long storylines were rushed through, and shorter storylines dragged out.

1.3 billion Chinese people might disagree, but in my book, that's an epic fail right there. My biased, subjective, nostalgic, "child" side still considers the original a classic ... but judging it from a completely objective perspective, it was definitely a complete and utter mess.

Just look at the way the episode was edited. Yang Jian comes in out of nowhere (no rhyme or reason), and stupid child-like "arms" are supposed to pass for the Hydra Demon's "heads?" Are you f***** kidding me? To me, that was just lazy-*** production, direction, and editing, plain and simple.

In ZJZ's adaptation, the reunion between Sun Wu Kong and Yang Jian occurs as it happens in the novel and is quite moving. Then the epic battle between Yang Jian (AND the Mei Shan Brothers), Sun Wu Kong, and the Nine-Headed Hydra (in gigantic beast form) absolutely destroys the pathetic scene from the 1986 version. It's quite laughable.
    Last edited by PrinceKrillo; 09-02-11 at 12:11 AM.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

Did anyone know the song name song by 吴樾. He sing one song in here.

so, is the total consensus zjzs' version is quite good? trying to determine if I should give it a chance
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

sry to bring an old thread back to life but i haven't seen this version anywhere on the net...do you guys know any sites that i can download this series from?

Quote Originally Posted by silentsaber View Post
    sry to bring an old thread back to life but i haven't seen this version anywhere on the net...do you guys know any sites that i can download this series from?
    Apparently no one gives a shit about this series. It's been months since this thing aired, and there have still been ZERO updates anywhere.

Baidu is acting like this series doesn't even exist. Sohu and Qiyi are pretty much doing the same thing.

The Wikipedia page for this series hasn't been updated in like a year and still has the WRONG information. DramaWiki didn't ****ing bother to write anything for the series either.

I'm pretty ****ing fed up with the way that the entire world has brushed this series aside. Especially since ZJZ's adaptation is superior to 99% of all the other SHIT Chinese TV series out there that actually get even an ounce of attention.
    张影焰 Shadowblaze

Rumor says that ZJZ has some conflicts with Chinese censor board. This led to severe restriction on ZJZ's XYJ broadcast over the country because "it conflicts with the ideals of CCP and distorts Chinese culture". But the ban has since been lifted. The show is slated to be rebroadcast by Jan 2012.

On a side note, our group (Jiang Hu) is subtitling this series. It's been really hard for us to find decent quality raw. This holdup has stalled the project for quite some time. However, now the project has been progressing pretty nicely.
    Jiang Hu, a Wuxia fansubbing team
    Currently seeking for more help!

Quote Originally Posted by abcd99 View Post
    Rumor says that ZJZ has some conflicts with Chinese censor board. This led to severe restriction on ZJZ's XYJ broadcast over the country because "it conflicts with the ideals of CCP and distorts Chinese culture". But the ban has since been lifted. The show is slated to be rebroadcast by Jan 2012.

On a side note, our group (Jiang Hu) is subtitling this series. It's been really hard for us to find decent quality raw. This holdup has stalled the project for quite some time. However, now the project has been progressing pretty nicely.
    It's not just ZJZ. I believe there's a general discouragement of Journey To The West TV and movie adaptations in Mainland China...for the time being. Tsui Hark's Monkey King movie starring Chow Yuen Fatt, Donnie Yen, Peter Ho etc seems to be put on cold storage for awhile.

See this article:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...el-dramas.html
    Last edited by xiaolong; 12-23-11 at 07:21 PM.
    I ship Shi-Harem

This is the only place I know where to download this series but no English Subs.

http://asianmediagalaxy.blogspot.com...y-to-west.html

Quote Originally Posted by kingjune86 View Post
    This is the only place I know where to download this series but no English Subs.

http://asianmediagalaxy.blogspot.com...y-to-west.html
    Hey! Just wanted to let you guys know that we are releasing english subtitles for the 2009 series here: jettosubs.wordpress.com

The 2010 version is going to be translated soon by the guys at Jiang Hu: jiang-hu.org
    Last edited by nekomajine; 01-06-12 at 02:13 AM.

It would of be better if they were released in hardsubs like Jiang Hu will do with 2011 Version.