Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: New Xi You Ji - Journey to the West (Zhang Ji Zhong 2009/2010 version)

Quote Originally Posted by Ganryu View Post
    The original novel is really repetitive and quite dry. The relationship between the 4 main characters is not that developed at all. It's essentially a plot-driven novel and not a character-driven one. So I don't mind too much if the series tries to develop the characters more instead of solely concentrating on their quest for the sutras.
    I don't mind character development, but I would rather they develop on interactions between characters in terms of brotherhood, teacher and student relationship, family ties (Sun WuKong's relationship w/ his monkey tribe, background story behind the monk, the dragon's prince story arch, etc), interaction w/ the heaven deities, etc. rather than have random love relationship between the main characters and random monsters. I don't want a sun wukong love story at all. The 80s didn't need it and to me it was the best adaption thus far.

I must say, I wouldn't mind if they expanded on the story of the water demon dude (3rd disciple) b/c his character is beyond dry. lol

Also, I want a good portrayal of the dragon prince who turned into a horse. I always get so giddy when he showed up in the 80s version.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

The original novel is really repetitive and quite dry. The relationship between the 4 main characters is not that developed at all. It's essentially a plot-driven novel and not a character-driven one. So I don't mind too much if the series tries to develop the characters more instead of solely concentrating on their quest for the sutras.
    That's my thought, too. The monk doesn't have much personality in the book except for being pious, and the companions are very one-dimensional. Pigsy is just lustful, Monkey is just mischievous and powerful, and Sandy hardly does anything. Admittedly I've only read an abridged English translation, though. But I think giving the characters some personality would add to the charm of the tale.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust View Post
    I don't mind character development, but I would rather they develop on interactions between characters in terms of brotherhood, teacher and student relationship, family ties (Sun WuKong's relationship w/ his monkey tribe, background story behind the monk, the dragon's prince story arch, etc), interaction w/ the heaven deities, etc. rather than have random love relationship between the main characters and random monsters. I don't want a sun wukong love story at all. The 80s didn't need it and to me it was the best adaption thus far.

I must say, I wouldn't mind if they expanded on the story of the water demon dude (3rd disciple) b/c his character is beyond dry. lol

Also, I want a good portrayal of the dragon prince who turned into a horse. I always get so giddy when he showed up in the 80s version.
    I hear what you're saying. I think they had a love story in the Stephen Chow movie version with Athena and Stephen in part two. What I meant was I wouldn't mind them developing the relationships between the 4 main characters and expanding their personalities more. In the book, there is very little character development and the sole focus was the storyline and the quest for the sutras.

To be honest, the novel JTTW is one of the most boring novels i've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    That's my thought, too. The monk doesn't have much personality in the book except for being pious, and the companions are very one-dimensional. Pigsy is just lustful, Monkey is just mischievous and powerful, and Sandy hardly does anything. Admittedly I've only read an abridged English translation, though. But I think giving the characters some personality would add to the charm of the tale.
    Yes, definitely. The book had about ZERO personality. I think the reason is that it was written few centuries ago (1590 a.d.) and the notion of "character development" is non-existent. When compared to modern novels, JTTW is extremely dry and boring.

That's why I'm all for the series producers giving "extra" personality and charm to the characters and their relationships. If they were faithful to the novel 100%, the viewer would be bored out of their mind.

To be honest, the novel JTTW is one of the most boring novels i've ever read.

Yes, definitely. The book had about ZERO personality. I think the reason is that it was written few centuries ago (1590 a.d.) and the notion of "character development" is non-existent. When compared to modern novels, JTTW is extremely dry and boring.

That's why I'm all for the series producers giving "extra" personality and charm to the characters and their relationships. If they were faithful to the novel 100%, the viewer would be bored out of their mind.
    Yes, it would just be "this happened, and then that happened", with lots of Buddhist morals mixed in. They could just about use a cardboard cut-out for the monk, instead of an actual actor.

I wonder where the thread for the other JTTW (the one that's currently filming) is because i clicked on the url for that thread and apparently it doesnt exist anymore.

Anyway, a new clip of the latest JTTW (not ZJZ's version but the one thats in production atm)- post 1
    http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kz=523730415
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    I wonder where the thread for the other JTTW (the one that's currently filming) is because i clicked on the url for that thread and apparently it doesnt exist anymore.
    It was mistakenly combined with this thread. Evidently the moderator wasn't aware that there are two different upcoming versions.

i can't believe there are two upcoming productions. it's going to be a "versus" competition on the viewer's time especially when it comes out on DVD. I wonder if they will actually finish the story by going to their destination in India. JTTW 1 China didn't even finish the story until the second part.

i can't believe there are two upcoming productions. it's going to be a "versus" competition on the viewer's time especially when it comes out on DVD. I wonder if they will actually finish the story by going to their destination in India. JTTW 1 China didn't even finish the story until the second part.
    Are they even going to be competing? Isn't ZJZ still looking for backing for his version?

Are they even going to be competing? Isn't ZJZ still looking for backing for his version?
    I have no idea. Someone just said there's two upcoming releases so i thought there are actually being released around the same time. They haven't even started filming?

I have no idea. Someone just said there's two upcoming releases so i thought there are actually being released around the same time. They haven't even started filming?
    I think if you read back in this thread it says there's nothing definite yet for ZJZ's version. He's still working on HSDS right now. The version that's in production currently isn't the ZJZ one.

I think if you read back in this thread it says there's nothing definite yet for ZJZ's version. He's still working on HSDS right now. The version that's in production currently isn't the ZJZ one.
    Thanks for the info. That's true, i almost forgot that he's working on HSDS right now. The thread title is pretty confusing tho.

As HSDS has completed filming, ZJZ is now turning his attention towards preparing for the new JTTW. There are speculations that ZJZ's first choices for the leads are Huang Xiaoming (as Monkey King) as well as Liu Yifei and Fan Bingbing. So far, FBB's manager has told the press that the actress will not be participating in this production. ZJZ has also confirmed that Nie Yuan is one of the actors in consideration for the role of Tang Seng.

http://ent.people.com.cn/GB/42075/81374/8971936.html

Wise Fool

As HSDS has completed filming, ZJZ is now turning his attention towards preparing for the new JTTW. There are speculations that ZJZ's first choices for the leads are Huang Xiaoming (as Monkey King) as well as Liu Yifei and Fan Bingbing. So far, FBB's manager has told the press that the actress will not be participating in this production. ZJZ has also confirmed that Nie Yuan is one of the actors in consideration for the role of Tang Seng.

http://ent.people.com.cn/GB/42075/81374/8971936.html
    I like all of those people, but I think maybe ZJZ should stop casting the same people over and over and try some new actors. China has such a huge population, you'd think he wouldn't have any difficulty finding some other talent.

I like all of those people, but I think maybe ZJZ should stop casting the same people over and over and try some new actors. China has such a huge population, you'd think he wouldn't have any difficulty finding some other talent.
    I agree. I've long been sick of ZJZ's recycling habit and even more sick of his obsession with HXM, who btw, failed to impress me with both his roles of YG and WXB in ZJZ's productions. I seriously dont think HXM is suited to play mischievous/cunning/loud/witty-type roles. But apparently Mr Zhang begs to differ.

Wise Fool

Isn't that HK singer, Kelly Chan's younger brother playing the monk?

Anyway I've loved the older China version (best portrayal of monkey god) and the 1st TVB installment (Wayne Lai was great, love the background music and themesongs, some of the stories were touching).

This version looks watchable, which is good news since some of the recent remakes of other famous works have been disappointing.

I agree. I've long been sick of ZJZ's recycling habit and even more sick of his obsession with HXM, who btw, failed to impress me with both his roles of YG and WXB in ZJZ's productions. I seriously dont think HXM is suited to play mischievous/cunning/loud/witty-type roles. But apparently Mr Zhang begs to differ.
    I think HXM can do mischievous and cunning, but he's too arrogant and cocky for Sun Wukong. I'd like to see the Monkey King be more child-like and naive. I don't think that's HXM style.

I guess it's a good think ZJZ isn't thinking of casting HXM as the Monk. That really would be miscasting. I don't think he could convincingly play someone so serious and pious.

I think HXM can do mischievous and cunning, but he's too arrogant and cocky for Sun Wukong. I'd like to see the Monkey King be more child-like and naive. I don't think that's HXM style.

I guess it's a good think ZJZ isn't thinking of casting HXM as the Monk. That really would be miscasting. I don't think he could convincingly play someone so serious and pious.
    HXM as Sun Wu Kong? Nahhhhhh. I would imagine someone playing WuKong be a smaller, agile, and thinner person. HXM has a broader body frame and really has a more serious face.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by NarutoSakura View Post
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i1.sinaimg.cn/ent/v/m/2008-06-24/U1584P28T3D2072532F326DT20080624085554.jpg')

Liu Xiao Ching will be cast as the goddess of mercy, Guan Yin. Liu Xiao Ching was well known for playing the empress Wu Ze-Tian.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i1.sinaimg.cn/ent/v/m/2008-10-17/U1702P28T3D2208853F326DT20081017075307.jpg')

Wang Li Ke will be cast as the Queen of "Nu Er Guo" (Maiden Country). This queen falls in love at first sight with the Tang Monk.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i1.sinaimg.cn/ent/v/m/2008-11-14/U1982P28T3D2250230F329DT20081114140433.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i2.sinaimg.cn/ent/v/m/2008-11-14/U1982P28T3D2250230F326DT20081114140433.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ent/v/m/2008-11-14/U1982P28T3D2250230F328DT20081114140433.jpg')
    She also played in "Lotus Lantern"(bao Lian deng)

"the Monkey King is supposed to have had a love affair with the White Skeleton Demoness (Bai Gu Jing)"

i hope is false....NO LOVE STORIES PLEASE

any confirmed cast of this series now?