Thread: The Yangs' Saga 《楊家將》

Default The Yangs' Saga 《楊家將》

I'm rewatching this miniseries now. It's been many years since I last watched this so I'm sure it'll give me a refreshing experience. More info. at the site below:

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/stroheim/638/saga.html
    Last edited by triumph2004; 12-14-08 at 04:59 AM.

Oh, how I wish for a remake by TVB.

Before anyone bash me, I know that Yang family saga has been remake for God knows how many versions (HK ATV, TVB, Mainland China) etc.

I still love the story, the tragedy (though many times I've been cursing at Yang's foolishness-to-death patriotism for an imbecile emperor) and most especially the hunk factors (7 young, good looking actors in a series!).

I woder why this series is so short. Is it because of the limited budget after they hired so many fa dans and siu sangs?

It was an anniversary series and I doubt that something that grand will be repeat again. TVB utilized every single actor & actress who are now big brothers & big sisters in the HK entertainment industry.

In a way, I am glad the story is short because it flows smoothly and there is no unnecessary scene. The ultimate classic.
    Huang Xiao Ming

"It's great to have a private jet. Anyone that tells you that having your own private jet isn't great is lying to you." - Oprah

Actually, I thought the unusual run time for this miniseries (and others of the same format in the mid-1980s) really screwed up its storyline pacing. You could tell that the TVB screenwriters, who were accustomed to writing episodes for 40 minute blocs, were having a hell of a time applying the formula to a 20 minute bloc. It just messed up their whole rhythm.

After rewatching The Yangs' Saga, I have the feeling that it's TOO short. Most of the characters are underdeveloped. Heck, the first three Yang brothers don't even have a story of their own. Michael Miu's Yeung 4 Long, Felix Wong's Yeung 5 Long, Andy Lau's Yeung 6 Long, and Tony Leung Yeung 7 Long had the most "meaty" role.

By the way, does anyone know all of the 7 brothers' name? I know the 6th brother is Yeung Yin Chiu and the 7th is Yeung Yin Chi. But what about the others?

I think for a series with such a wonderful cast and costumes should be more developed. I mean, yes, there were no unneccessary scenes, but there were no development in the characters. That's why I did not feel the pity I guess I was suppose to when the Yang family lost all its warriors. The series is definately too short. Something around 30-40 eps. would be nice.

The TVB rental shops in my neighbourhood closed down liao. Thanks, Astro on Demand

Does this series have a DVD release or anyway I can watch the cantonese version? I found the series in youtube and tudou but it's in thai and mandarin!

I have the canto version on one of my harddrive. Got it from Asianfanatic but I'm sure the torrent is gone now.

It was the series that introduced me to tony Leung. I thought he was great!

Who was the producer of this series?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    By the way, does anyone know all of the 7 brothers' name? I know the 6th brother is Yeung Yin Chiu and the 7th is Yeung Yin Chi. But what about the others?
    I believe that 4th one was Yeung Yin Long, and the 5th was Yeung Yin Duc. Don't know about the other 3 sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    1st son - Yeung Yin Ping

2nd son - Yeung Yin Ding

3rd son - Yeung Yin On

4th son - Yeung Yin Fai

5th son - Yeung Yin Duk

6th son - Yeung Yin Chiu

7th son - Yeung Yin Ci
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I don't understand, almost TVB actor & artist play in this series but why adam cheng & shek sau doesn't play in this series to?
    If you Sau Gor fans, so visit & like this fanspage : www.facebook.com/sheksau
    There's so many picture of him. That's really awesome ^^

I like this series, still prefer TVB version. Yes, is very short only 5 eps.

I wonder if babara hadn't die, which wfe would she be playing? Imo, she suits 4th most.

Also, if maggi cheung had continued to stay on, yammie lam and idy chan weren't freezed, they should play the 6th, 7th and 5th wife respectively.