Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Kungfu Series of 80'-90's

Thumbs up Classic Kungfu Series of 80'-90's

I'm a big fan of classic kungfu series of 80' - 90's...I think this the best era of kungfu series...I love the most are THE WILD BUNCH (Felix Wong, Barbara Yung, Austin Wei), YOUNG HEROES OF SHAOLIN (Tung Wei, Michael Miu), The Adventure Of Chor Lau Hung (Michael Miu, Austin Wei), dll.

If anyone has same interest with me, welcome...!!

80s TVB had the best fighting. I loved it. Choreography hasn't been the same ever since. Do you like 80s ATV fights? They were even better. Bruce Liang and Tsui Siu Ming was the ultimate combo.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I prefer the 80s fighting too. Some of them look dated, but I think the choreography was much better even without the razzle-dazzle special effects. I think the problem with the modern fights is that they rely too much on fancy editing, quick cuts, and shaky camerawork. It seems like they don't care much about the actual fight sequence anymore or the choreography because they know they can just edit it afterwards to look "cool".

If you look at State of Divinity 1996, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It was so frustrating watching the fights in that series.....

I love the series of the 80's, especially the ancient ones. They are the best in terms of quality, plot, and stars. My favorite is The Grand Canal.

I've been wanting to watch The Wild Bunch in a long time, but I cannot find the series online. I've checked tudou.com and they only have it in mandarin. Anyone know where I can download/watch it in Cantonese?

Quote Originally Posted by tvbtoday View Post
    I love the series of the 80's, especially the ancient ones. They are the best in terms of quality, plot, and stars. My favorite is The Grand Canal.

I've been wanting to watch The Wild Bunch in a long time, but I cannot find the series online. I've checked tudou.com and they only have it in mandarin. Anyone know where I can download/watch it in Cantonese?
    Wild Bunch will be officially be released by TVB this year on DVD. Check out the TVB DVD thread for updates.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Thumbs up

Wild Bunch will be officially be released by TVB this year on DVD. Check out the TVB DVD thread for updates.

I'll wait for it...I do love the fighting, the costumes, the actors/actress of 80's-90's kungfu serial..they're the best. I miss them, I miss that period so much....

Quote Originally Posted by TWB_77 View Post

I'll wait for it...I do love the fighting, the costumes, the actors/actress of 80's-90's kungfu serial..they're the best. I miss them, I miss that period so much....
    I miss it too, but the demand for martial arts in movies or TV is no longer there. When there is action, they have to use CGI to get ppl interested. We will never see good ol "hard bridge hard horse" fighting anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    I miss it too, but the demand for martial arts in movies or TV is no longer there. When there is action, they have to use CGI to get ppl interested. We will never see good ol "hard bridge hard horse" fighting anymore.
    I blame CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON (the 2000 film) myself. It's all wirefu, fancy gymnastics, and CGI now. Old school fist and kick martial arts movies just aren't made anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I blame CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON (the 2000 film) myself. It's all wirefu, fancy gymnastics, and CGI now. Old school fist and kick martial arts movies just aren't made anymore.
    I blame it too!! U literally see ppl flying. That lost the whole mysterious feel of ppl's powers when they jump or fly. Even the 90s wuxia stuff was great cause they used careful editing and wirework. They also had to hide the wires which can be done with CG today. Since it's so easy to use wires now, they just use a wideshot of ppl flying like in Crouching Tiger.

I miss seeing the classic fight scenes from the 80s too. I still think the choreography was the best back then. I still enjoy many kungfu series now, but I don't look forward to the fight scenes as much

I was just wondering is it because the stars do not know martial arts themselves or what? I literally hate the computer effects which TVB replace for the 80's "real" fighting scenes. The fighting is also faster. You can see this in TVB 2004's ancient serial, Twin of Brothers. Anyway, getting back to my point, probably because most of today's stars don't know martial arts so they exaggerate the fighting scenes to make it more believable, which is not, of course.

If we hope that the recent kungfu movies will show good fighting, I think it more to the effect or the 'style' itself so the actors/actress who fight (although they couldn't do any martial art), they look so great & cool...but what we find in the classic kungfu movies, the fighting and the style of the actors/actress were much much natural.
    Now, even what they called kungfu movie, they more focus to the romance of the main roles & how they still look 'cool' although they're damn bleeding or got bad wounded...

Talking about TVB Classics, I am now watching Demi Gods & Semi Devils 1982 (ft. Kent Tong, Leung Kar Yun, Felix Wong). Finished 2 episodes so far and although there isn't much fighting so far, I could tell that it's rather slow. Most of the fight scenes are "slowed down" to slow motion for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Talking about TVB Classics, I am now watching Demi Gods & Semi Devils 1982 (ft. Kent Tong, Leung Kar Yun, Felix Wong). Finished 2 episodes so far and although there isn't much fighting so far, I could tell that it's rather slow. Most of the fight scenes are "slowed down" to slow motion for some reason.
    Yeah there isn't much fighting at first, but once Beardy (LKY) shows up, he just kicks arse. Easily the best looking fighter in the show. His handwork is the best. He has a couple of awesome duals with Shek Sau. 80s shows take some time to warm up.

In the 80s they had training classes for new actors and they had to learn everything including how to do onscreen fighting. Back then you would see the 5 tigers doing most of their own fighting and simple stunts. Felix would always show off his little handstand flip. None of that these days.

Default David Chiang's film?

Anyone knows what is the title of David Chiang's kungfu series which he played an antagonist (a betrayer) role, he killed his brother martial & falling in love with his brother's lover (she's very beautiful but don't know her name) & works for the emperor...at the end, the woman he loved finally kills him & she hanged herself!! (sorry for my confusing english )

Quote Originally Posted by almo89 View Post
    Yeah there isn't much fighting at first, but once Beardy (LKY) shows up, he just kicks arse. Easily the best looking fighter in the show. His handwork is the best. He has a couple of awesome duals with Shek Sau. 80s shows take some time to warm up.

In the 80s they had training classes for new actors and they had to learn everything including how to do onscreen fighting. Back then you would see the 5 tigers doing most of their own fighting and simple stunts. Felix would always show off his little handstand flip. None of that these days.
    Beardy has a special talent for mimicking martial arts moves. Until he became an actor, he never formally trained in the martial arts at all. But the guy has a knack for making it look real. It might not have been authentic, strictly speaking, but to the untrained eye, it certainly *looked* authentic.

Who in the world is Beardy?

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    Who in the world is Beardy?
    Bryan Leung Ga Yan, known in the West as "Beardy," is a Hong Kong actor best known in the HK community for portraying Kiu Fung in TVB's 1981 adaptation of Jin Yong's DEMIGODS AND SEMIDEVILS and portraying the older Gwok Jing in TVB's 1983 adaptation of RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES. He has been in a number of Hong Kong movies and television series since the late 1970s, usually in the role of a martial artist (although occassionally, as a humorous character in comedy movies as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Bryan Leung Ga Yan, known in the West as "Beardy," is a Hong Kong actor best known in the HK community for portraying Kiu Fung in TVB's 1981 adaptation of Jin Yong's DEMIGODS AND SEMIDEVILS and portraying the older Gwok Jing in TVB's 1983 adaptation of RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES. He has been in a number of Hong Kong movies and television series since the late 1970s, usually in the role of a martial artist (although occassionally, as a humorous character in comedy movies as well).
    oh, i love that guy. I actually thought he knows martial art because his fighting looks so crisp.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    oh, i love that guy. I actually thought he knows martial art because his fighting looks so crisp.
    That's the man's physical genius. He hasn't had a day of formal martial arts training, but he's got a knack for making it *look* real even if it isn't. I sometimes wonder how good his moves would look if he'd had real training.