Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did Reverend Kongjian say those words?

Default Why did Reverend Kongjian say those words?

Before Reverend Kongjian died of natural causes, he whispered these words to Xie Xun: "Even if you were to find your master Cheng Kun, your martial arts would be no match for him... unless... unless you can find the hidden secret of the dragon sabre..."

And so, Xie Xun spent the next 10 (?) years trying to figure out the hidden secret of the dragon sabre, with no luck.

Why did Reverend Kongjian leave behind such a mystery? Did he say that to isolate madman Xie Xun from the world, and thus, make the world a safer place?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Because Jin Yong, God of Wuxiaverse, whispered into Kong Jian's ears just before he died: "You're gonna be my plot device just before you kick the bucket, and here's your line. Say it!"
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Before Reverend Kongjian died of natural causes, he whispered these words to Xie Xun: "Even if you were to find your master Cheng Kun, your martial arts would be no match for him... unless... unless you can find the hidden secret of the dragon sabre..."

And so, Xie Xun spent the next 10 (?) years trying to figure out the hidden secret of the dragon sabre, with no luck.

Why did Reverend Kongjian leave behind such a mystery? Did he say that to isolate madman Xie Xun from the world, and thus, make the world a safer place?
    Wait, does that imply Kongjian knows the hidden 9 Yin manual is in the Dragon Sabre? If so, how did he?

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Wait, does that imply Kongjian knows the hidden 9 Yin manual is in the Dragon Sabre? If so, how did he?
    He couldn't have known. That secret of the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre was known only to the leaders of the Ngor Mei Sect. Nobody else on Earth (except perhaps Lady Yeung) knew the truth behind the weapons' secret.

maybe because somehow he knew that it had something to do with 9 ying was in dragon sabre. By the way was really Cheng Kun that much better than Xie Xun?

9 yin was in the Heaven sword, not the Dragon sabre.

Kongjian didnt know anything. He assumes that there must be a secret behind the Dragon sabre, because one cannot rule wulin just with a sharp sabre.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    Kongjian didnt know anything. He assumes that there must be a secret behind the Dragon sabre, because one cannot rule wulin just with a sharp sabre.
    In a way, could we say that Kongjian was quite intelligent? It seems most people during that era only regard the Dragon Sabre as a powerful piece of metal capable of ruling Wulin.

or maybe he knew that he will never be able to uncover the secret of dragon sabre so it will save his life? Still think XX could beat Cheung Kun

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Because Jin Yong, God of Wuxiaverse, whispered into Kong Jian's ears just before he died: "You're gonna be my plot device just before you kick the bucket, and here's your line. Say it!"
    If that was the ONLY reason, then I must say, it was really laughably insane... because Reverend Kongjian represented the PEAK OF ENLIGHTENMENT in HSDS, he who had shed so much wisdom, for his last words to be such an arbitrary crap that could have been said by anyone, I think is completely out of character.

Instead, I would like to think that The Summit of Enlightenment, The Peak of Kindness, The Human With the Speed of Ghost, He Who puts Olympic Sprinters to shame, The God of Speed, The Speed of God, SPEED GOD Zhuo... I mean Reverend Kongjian whispered those words by his last breath because he wanted to keep Xie Xun busy, instead of out killing people.
    Last edited by PJ; 03-14-08 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    By the way was really Cheng Kun that much better than Xie Xun?
    Enough difference such that there was no way Xie Xun could match Cheng Kun.

If that was the ONLY reason, then I must say, it was really laughably insane... because Reverend Kongjian represented the PEAK OF ENLIGHTENMENT in HSDS, he who had shed so much wisdom, for his last words to be such an arbitrary crap that could have been said by anyone, I think is completely out of character.

Instead, I would like to think that The Summit of Enlightenment, The Peak of Kindness, The Human With the Speed of Ghost, He Who puts Olympic Sprinters to shame, The God of Speed, The Speed of God, SPEED GOD Zhuo... I mean Reverend Kongjian whispered those words by his last breath because he wanted to keep Xie Xun busy, instead of out killing people.
    Well that line cant be said by "anyone" cuz KongJian was one of the few ppl XieXun actually respected and will listen to. Eg i doubt XX will listen if some random guy told him he needs the Sabre. XX will just shut him up faster

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Well that line cant be said by "anyone" cuz KongJian was one of the few ppl XieXun actually respected and will listen to. Eg i doubt XX will listen if some random guy told him he needs the Sabre. XX will just shut him up faster
    I can picture a random dying villain saying: "Yes, you have defeated me, Xie Xun, but you will never defeat your master, unless... unless... unless you find the hidden secret of the dragon sabre... mooaa, mooaaaaa.... *gasp*...." *dies*

The whole time, Reverend Kongjian was trying to get Xie Xun to STOP killing people. Why would he tell him something that would enable him to kill more people? Only reason I can think of: it was meant to keep Xie Xun busy forever.

I think he was trying to get Xie Xun distracted by TRYING to obtain the Dragon Sabre. And as we all know, obtaining the Sabre and being able to KEEP it is VERY HARD. It is the perfect plan to get Xie Xun to do something instead of hunting for his master.

Don't know about the stopping the killing theory. Whenever wulin folks hunt for a treasure, like 9 Yin, it's always a huge blood bath. The Dragon Sabre is the same.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

*sigh*
    and so, Reverend Kongjian stirs up another round of mystery.
    He is truly one of the most Mysterious Personalities in wuxia.

I believe that moments before he passed away, Kong Jian realized that he has been played like a fool by Cheng Kun, and Kong Jian recognized that Cheng Kun was much more evil and dangerous to innocent people that Xie Xun was.

So Kong Jian genuinely wanted Xie Xun to unravel the mystery of the Dragon Sabre and defeat Cheng Kun, because after Xie Xun achieves that he will no longer harm innocent people anyway.

I can picture a random dying villain saying: "Yes, you have defeated me, Xie Xun, but you will never defeat your master, unless... unless... unless you find the hidden secret of the dragon sabre... mooaa, mooaaaaa.... *gasp*...." *dies*

The whole time, Reverend Kongjian was trying to get Xie Xun to STOP killing people. Why would he tell him something that would enable him to kill more people? Only reason I can think of: it was meant to keep Xie Xun busy forever.
    LOL yea but seriously, will it have the same effect on XX if that happened over KongJian? XX would just think that noob is sore.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    LOL yea but seriously, will it have the same effect on XX if that happened over KongJian? XX would just think that noob is sore.
    Not when he's obsessed with killing his master, and every clue is a thundering joy.

It's a dirty little secret at the Shaolin Temple that Reverend Hung Geen occassionally mouthed off randomly and unexpectedly. One night, Hung Wan and Hung Sing had to hold Hung Geen down in the Shaolin commissary during the evening meal when the reverend suddenly stood up in the middle of drinking his vegetable soup and started yelling, "Pizza! Pizza!" for no apparent reason.

Such occurences were, unfortunately, not uncommon at the Shaolin Temple.

Hi,
    on youtube I just watched the TV adaption of HSDS with Tony Leung. Quite at the end of the movie when Cheng Kun and Xie Xun had the final fight you could see that Cheng Kun could use the (Shaolin) 9yang energy (also mentioned by Zhang Wuji). So, somehow Cheng Kun managed to learn the Shaolin 9yang from Reverend Wuse. So, in my opinion Reverend Kongjian knew that the 9yin manual was hidden either in the dragon sabre or the heavenly sword. Thatīs why he said to XX, he only can defeat Cheng Kun if he manage to find out the secret of the dragon sabre (Kongjian didnt know that the 9yin manual was actually in the Heavenly Sword).
    This idea is not too far-fetched because Reverend Wuse and Guo Xiang were some kind of good friends. So, it is possible that Guo Xiang passed the secret to him.