Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Derek Kwok ever get a leading role?

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I think there is another son' who has less success than him. Lawrence Ng's brother, Ng Kai Ming. Where is he now?
    Still probably being thrown eggs at by HK housewife fanatics on the street.

And please, no lead roles for Ng Kai Ming, the dude is an awesome villain character.

My personal favourite role of Wayne Lai is Hon Shun in The Conqueror's Story. He should have won something for that role. He potrayed the character very well. I don't really like his "Pig" role actually.

I think Derek's turning point role in Pong Ban in 'Lethal Weapon of Love and Passion'. His character was well loved eventhough it's a villain role and I notice that he started getting bigger and bigger roles after that. His roles in both D.I.E and Family Link are very major. One think I really hate is that the posters still don't have him in it eventhough his role is very major. Who designed the posters? His role is equal in importance to Michael Tse in the series and he didn't get to be in the poster?

Another overlooked actor is Evergreen Mak. This is another actor who is very versatile and can act all kinds of role. It's a great injustice that he was robbed of the lead role position in 'To Love With No Regret'.
    didnt evergreen mak get a lead role w/ gordan chan in plain love 2 or country spirit or something. it was the series about growing tea or wine. but i also agree, evergreen mak is a great actor and he deserves a lead role
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

I think in Plain Love 2, Evergreen's role is considered a supporting one. I remember there was a report about Evergreen slimming down for his first lead role, which was in To Love With No Regret. But, at the end, Bosco ended up getting higher billing. TVB was trying to promote Bosco then.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Derek first caught my attention in the Journey to the West, as the evil monkey. I thought he was so good, the fighting was excellent! Have not watch taichi masters yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy that too.

As for Evergreen, agree, he's very versatile. He really could nail every role well, be it as good or bad guys.

That's probably why tvb is successful, besides the leads, they have a bunch of very good B-listers. Hope these guys will be given a chance eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    i agree Cheung Chi Kwong and Chun Wong also deserve to lead a role. maybe tvb should just create a series and put all the good supporting actors in there to be leads

btw wat do u guys think about ellesmere choi?

ps: my fav ZBT is wayne lai i didnt get to see chun wong as ZBT casue i got bored of the 80s LOCH/ROCH after 2 eps
    You missed out then. Chun Wong was definitely the best ZBT ever. WHy don't you give the series a chance? The first 2 episodes, I will say is probably the most boring episodes of LOCH, but the series will be progressively better when the important characters make their appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    something these guys have in common, they're too short/small. For some reason TVB likes big men for lead roles... Derek Kwok is listed in the profile @ 5'9, i'm willing to lay my money on the line that the dude is not 5'9... i'm thinking around 5'7, he's too small to be 5'9.

Wayne Lai is also listed as 5'9. i'm also laying my money down that he's not 5'9...
    I don't think the height is that much of a factor. Look at successors like Tony Leung and Aaron Kwok, they are not big at all. I think its more of the fan support and looks/youth play a major role as well.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    I don't think the height is that much of a factor. Look at successors like Tony Leung and Aaron Kwok, they are not big at all. I think its more of the fan support and looks/youth play a major role as well.
    those guys are much better looking than derek and wayne... plus they started earlier and catch on the ride, after a while TVB have more actors they didn't support those guys as much. TVB doesn't work on fan base, it's the type of company that has full control of it's region, so it does w/e is best for the company, and the tendency is that tall/big/hansome actor is easier to draw fans (old or new), so they just go with that.

My personal favourite role of Wayne Lai is Hon Shun in The Conqueror's Story. He should have won something for that role. He potrayed the character very well. I don't really like his "Pig" role actually.

I think Derek's turning point role in Pong Ban in 'Lethal Weapon of Love and Passion'. His character was well loved eventhough it's a villain role and I notice that he started getting bigger and bigger roles after that. His roles in both D.I.E and Family Link are very major. One think I really hate is that the posters still don't have him in it eventhough his role is very major. Who designed the posters? His role is equal in importance to Michael Tse in the series and he didn't get to be in the poster?

Another overlooked actor is Evergreen Mak. This is another actor who is very versatile and can act all kinds of role. It's a great injustice that he was robbed of the lead role position in 'To Love With No Regret'.
    to me, i think derek's turning point was when he starred in the action series with yuen biew (yuan biao), maggie siu, and selena li. i loved the blossom fighting scene, and he really showcased his talent. also, revolving doors of vengence was good too where he wasn't purely fighting all the time.

wayne lai was great in conquerer's story .. and he did great in "hk ppl in guangzhou" - kinda old.

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    to me, i think derek's turning point was when he starred in the action series with yuen biew (yuan biao), maggie siu, and selena li. i loved the blossom fighting scene, and he really showcased his talent. also, revolving doors of vengence was good too where he wasn't purely fighting all the time.
    Oh. So bad of me to forget about Mark Long. He's my favourite character in RDOV . But, I still cannot recall who Derek play in Real Kungfu .

Oh. So bad of me to forget about Mark Long. He's my favourite character in RDOV . But, I still cannot recall who Derek play in Real Kungfu .

in real kungfu, i think he was the villian in there. gay one too. like literally. lol

extra help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwoRq88Hhko
    Last edited by pandamao; 03-20-08 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted View Post
    You missed out then. Chun Wong was definitely the best ZBT ever. WHy don't you give the series a chance? The first 2 episodes, I will say is probably the most boring episodes of LOCH, but the series will be progressively better when the important characters make their appearance.
    Yes, first time they showed HYS was cool. Devil mask and all. First time Chun Wong appeared was way funny too.

Yep! Chun Wong's ZBT is the best!

But I'd not say never for Derek as leading actor. Perhaps, Wayne, but not Derek. Derek got the package as leading actor, some look and height. And he doesn't look to be too old to be someone's father yet(well, maybe babies, toddlers) hm...unlike the father images Wayne and Evergreen sent off due to their stubby figures...
    If he's lucky enough to get a breakthrough role like Michael Tse, and amassed numerous years of recognition like Michael as big supporting actor.....I think.......I think Derek can receive a miracle like Michael.

by the way, where is cheung chi kwong? It's like he's the hottest supporting actor a year or two ago, and now he suddenly disappear in recent series?
    Last edited by godiva; 03-20-08 at 03:27 AM.

Disagree that Wayne look older than Derek. Derek actually look quite haggard in D.I.E although his role is funny. Wayne has a chubby face, but, his body is not fat and he only looks like someone in his 30s. Derek and Wayne look roughly the same age.
    Last edited by kidd; 03-20-08 at 04:26 AM.

omg i <3 derek kwok. i agree, i don't think some people would accept him as a leading role, but he'd be great depending what kind of roles he get.

i <33 watching the old tvb movies & seeing him all the time. he was in the prequels of LOCH & omg, i can name TONS. (; it's so cool seeing him like maturing in TVB (;
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Derek Kwok is a good supporting actor.
    But I don't think he has the face of a leading actor. Don't misunderstand; he's one of the better actors; versatile, skilled and good-looking. But I can't think of him being the lead. Somehow, it feels weird.

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic View Post
    But I don't think he has the face of a leading actor. Don't misunderstand; he's one of the better actors; versatile, skilled and good-looking. But I can't think of him being the lead. Somehow, it feels weird.
    I like him and hope he'll be given a chance but Sadly I do agree with above commend. Maybe he needs a really good role to help change our minds?

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic View Post
    i have a feeling i know what you mean. there are certain artist that can only excel in supporting roles, such as joe ma, but that doesn't mean they aren't versatile. a good achievement for derek is simply just getting more screen time and roles that really let him shine, even though there's a newbie he can obviously act better in.

i'm fine with the amount of publicity he's getting right now. he's dating joyce, almost in every series i enjoy watching ...

I hope so im starting to like him and he is a pretty good actor as well

he was soooo hilarious in WOIL2...i loved his character, CC, with Coco and his little twins..
    Best Series: Family Man, Triumph in the Skies, The Last Breakthrough, Heart of Greed
    Actors: Moses Chan, Raymond Lam, Steven Ma
    Actress: Jessica Hsuan
    Character: Dek Dek Dei

i'm watching dark tales 2 & he's a lead in one of the stories. does that count? hehe. he's in the story, where he fell in love with a girl but she died. & she had their baby. & she was able to help him raise the baby because she snuck out of the underworld, while in the 18th level of the punishments [?] & she promised to sneak back in 3 years later during an eclipse.
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^