Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Derek Kwok ever get a leading role?

Default Will Derek Kwok ever get a leading role?

i think he is probably the most underrated actor in tvb. other underrated actor are ppl like wayne lai, but i believe he had already led one or two series before. anyways, derek been acting in tvb series since 1986, and he deserves to be lead actor. so what do u guys think?
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

I think he deserves to have a leading role too. I will certainly watch the series if he's leading. But, how many will support him? Sometimes, when u are too long as supporting actor, some viewers who will not accept you as lead. It's the truth. Look at Angela Tong. Her acting is not inferior to some leading actress (and even better than some), but, her series ratings was low. I read in forums where there's comment of people not liking her, should choose a better leading lady etc.

I've also read comment in Dance of Passion forum (not in spcnet) where someone commented that TVB should have casted someone else for a major supporting role because she's not use to see the chosen actress in a big role.

I don't think Wayne has ever lead a series. At most, first supporting actor.

Btw, I see Derek Kwok getting better and better roles now. He has major roles in The Family Link, Lethal Weapon of Love and Passion, War of the In-Laws 2 and the most recent D.I.E.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

derek played his role perfect in tai chi.

btw i think wayne lai led a role with nnadia chan. the series was about "gow zi" (those chinese dumplings stuff).

Oh, that one. No lah. Leading man is Timmy Ho. Main lead is Nnadia Chan because only her picture was smack right in the middle of the poster. Very big one. Forgot whether other actors are in the poster or not.

Wayne Lai is one of my favorite actors, but most probably, he won't ever get a lead role. TVB never did cast actors with good acting skills. They cast actors that the viewers like. I'm not sure if Wayne or Derek has enough supporters yet.

I like Wayne Lai a lot. Guys like Wayne Lai and Derek Kwok will never get leading roles. The reason is that they are too reliable at what they do. They rather promote good looking guys, but those noobs need guys like Wayne Lai and Derek Kwok to support them. In a lot of shows these days, some of the supporting cast steals the show from the main characters.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I like supporting actors like Derek, Wayne and Cheung Chi Kwong. Sadly to say, they will not be given any leading role in TVB.

Looks and age is an important factor. Ok, Derek is not bad looking but he's starting to get a little too old - younger lead roles are given to Kenneth, Ray etc, while mature roles TVB wanted their own established actor like Bobby, Roger & Moses. The audiences won't be able to 'connect' with Derek like they did with Bobby, Gallen etc.

p.s. I read an interview with Wayne and he seems to be ok with supporting roles. It was the love for acting that made him stay on.

Derek Kwok, I agree with most of you. Not a huge fan of his, but am surprised he does not get lead roles either. I mean so many people with less acting abilities get lead roles over him.

Wayne Lai, I love the guy. Definitely top 5 one of my favorite supporting actors of all time. Chun Wong and Wayne Lai, ZBT rules!!!

i agree Cheung Chi Kwong and Chun Wong also deserve to lead a role. maybe tvb should just create a series and put all the good supporting actors in there to be leads

btw wat do u guys think about ellesmere choi?

ps: my fav ZBT is wayne lai i didnt get to see chun wong as ZBT casue i got bored of the 80s LOCH/ROCH after 2 eps

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    i agree Cheung Chi Kwong and Chun Wong also deserve to lead a role. maybe tvb should just create a series and put all the good supporting actors in there to be leads

btw wat do u guys think about ellesmere choi?

ps: my fav ZBT is wayne lai i didnt get to see chun wong as ZBT casue i got bored of the 80s LOCH/ROCH after 2 eps
    hahah 2 eps is not enough. It takes time to warm up cause it's a 60 eps show. Chun Wong is my fave ZBT.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

ps: my fav ZBT is wayne lai i didnt get to see chun wong as ZBT cause i got bored of the 80s LOCH/ROCH after 2 eps
    Hey Lunar, wasn't ZBT the favorite JY male character for you and me. That shows you how well Chun Wong and Wayne Lai played those roles very well to us.

I am fine with Chun Wong being a great supporting actor. Wayne should definitely get a lead in a comedy role though.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Hey Lunar, wasn't ZBT the favorite JY male character for you and me. That shows you how well Chun Wong and Wayne Lai played those roles very well to us.

I am fine with Chun Wong being a great supporting actor. Wayne should definitely get a lead in a comedy role though.
    yes wayne lai made me love ZBT actually he made me fall in love w/ LOCH cause i actually started watching (the first time) after a few eps when wayne was stuck in peach island and he made me continue watching

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Derek Kwok, I agree with most of you. Not a huge fan of his, but am surprised he does not get lead roles either. I mean so many people with less acting abilities get lead roles over him.

Wayne Lai, I love the guy. Definitely top 5 one of my favorite supporting actors of all time. Chun Wong and Wayne Lai, ZBT rules!!!

something these guys have in common, they're too short/small. For some reason TVB likes big men for lead roles... Derek Kwok is listed in the profile @ 5'9, i'm willing to lay my money on the line that the dude is not 5'9... i'm thinking around 5'7, he's too small to be 5'9.

Wayne Lai is also listed as 5'9. i'm also laying my money down that he's not 5'9...
    Last edited by warlock110; 03-15-08 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    something these guys have in common, they're too short/small. For some reason TVB likes big men for lead roles... Derek Kwok is listed in the profile @ 5'9, i'm willing to lay my money on the line that the dude is not 5'9... i'm thinking around 5'7, he's too small to be 5'9.

Wayne Lai is also listed as 5'9. i'm also laying my money down that he's not 5'9...
    hmmmm good point

hmmmm good point
    hehe, would you ever look at those guys and says they're 5'9? no way right? and speaking of which, most "good looking" white main actors are pretty big too, same deal with korean actors, they tower over their asian female actress.

I'm really glad derek is finally given bigger roles, but I don't think he'll get leading roles in the near future, it might be a little too late.

However he has an advantage over Wayne (the other favorite B-lister), he's better looking, and really knows 'kung fu'.

Sometimes the transition from B to A list is not easy. Like Angela Tong, it hasnt been smooth-her case was probably due to an inferior script. I like her in more comical roles. So for Derek, even if it's a leading role, it must be tailor to suit him. That's the biggest problem I guess. Anything wuxia would be great I guess.

Juz like most of u, im desperately waiting for derek to land his hand on a lead role as well
    but this doesn't seem to b happening
    nevertheless, his role is getting bigger n bigger............i was exclaiming to my sis on how important his role is in D.I.E (as he is the 3rd elading actor)
    n a lot of ppl like his role in war of in laws2 (which is pretty important but i wud say not as important as D.I.E
    'God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference' - Reinhold Niebuhr

Quote Originally Posted by cordycep View Post
    I'm really glad derek is finally given bigger roles, but I don't think he'll get leading roles in the near future, it might be a little too late.

However he has an advantage over Wayne (the other favorite B-lister), he's better looking, and really knows 'kung fu'.

Sometimes the transition from B to A list is not easy. Like Angela Tong, it hasnt been smooth-her case was probably due to an inferior script. I like her in more comical roles. So for Derek, even if it's a leading role, it must be tailor to suit him. That's the biggest problem I guess. Anything wuxia would be great I guess.
    I read some interview article of Derek before:

Derek originally started off as stuntman and martial art choreographer. He was earning big bucks and living the high life. Some producer recommend him into acting because he's good looking and after giving some thought of his then profession (he have colleagues heavily injured), he decided to give acting a try. From earning 5 digits a month, it was reduced to just a few thousand bucks. I think he did get disillusioned (or rather disappointed) after a few years, but he loves acting and decided to stick on. Remember he was one of Adam's sons in Greed of Men? All the other 'sons' have gotten popular except for him.

So his hard work is only starting to pay off in recent years where he got more substantial role. It also have something to do with him being single again, he channeled his energy into work instead. He went through a difficult divorce when he was filming TaiChi Master.

Wayne was a little more fortunate as he did gotten a taste of fame in the 90's for his very successful role of "Pig" in Journey To The West. IMO, he even stole Dicky's thunder in some scenes.

I don't remember Cheung Chi Kwong have any significant leading role except for Life Begins at Forty (btw I love this series). His other role that left deep impression in me is Cold Blood Warm Heart and To Catch the Uncatchable. Not that he did a bad job in other series, but his role and screentime is rather limited.

My personal favourite role of Wayne Lai is Hon Shun in The Conqueror's Story. He should have won something for that role. He potrayed the character very well. I don't really like his "Pig" role actually.

I think Derek's turning point role in Pong Ban in 'Lethal Weapon of Love and Passion'. His character was well loved eventhough it's a villain role and I notice that he started getting bigger and bigger roles after that. His roles in both D.I.E and Family Link are very major. One think I really hate is that the posters still don't have him in it eventhough his role is very major. Who designed the posters? His role is equal in importance to Michael Tse in the series and he didn't get to be in the poster?

Another overlooked actor is Evergreen Mak. This is another actor who is very versatile and can act all kinds of role. It's a great injustice that he was robbed of the lead role position in 'To Love With No Regret'.

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    Remember he was one of Adam's sons in Greed of Men? All the other 'sons' have gotten popular except for him.
    I think there is another son' who has less success than him. Lawrence Ng's brother, Ng Kai Ming. Where is he now?