Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amazing Musical Talents

I listened to this Charice girl, and I highly doubt she'd become very successful in North America.

Here's why according to me:

Yes, she has a very good voice, but it's nothing special. Like someone else said - she sounds a bit like Christina Aguilera. There are many many female vocalists in North America now who have the same vocal quality as she does, and there isn't really the need for another. So she doesn't stand out vocally.

Also, I hate to say this, she's not very pretty. Even with a lot of make-up, she still looks very plain and probably won't be able to compete with the much prettier singers here.

Another thing is, she doesn't strike me as someone charming (and this is different than just her physical appearance). Her performance seems very stiff - her movements and her song are not integrated well, and seem forced and awkward. If you don't have the charms or personality, people may not be as willing to pay money and see you perform, and a lot of singers depend on tours to make money.

In the end, if she does make it - good for her. She does have a very good voice. But is it special enough, and does she have the looks and personality? I'm not too sure.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

When it comes to talent, Australia has a lot of it:

JP's highly original take on Down Under
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WduD_DWI_0Q

15-year old Mark Vincent showcases his magical voice with Nessun Dorma
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc-7xzbULjc

12-year old Jal Joshua with an awesome rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PpMdiSGNsc

A great boy singer, Troye Sivan, from Australia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXgA1HR2o0U

Quote Originally Posted by Jirehmy View Post
    A great boy singer, Troye Sivan, from Australia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXgA1HR2o0U
    That wasn't a flattering clip. He doesn't even sound good, but that may be due to the music that was much louder than his voice.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    That wasn't a flattering clip. He doesn't even sound good, but that may be due to the music that was much louder than his voice.
    Another clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yaVYfmSDZQ

Quote Originally Posted by Jirehmy View Post
    No way. This boy can sing, but he's not amazing at all. Give me Charice anytime.

I never get tired of listening to this, especially the beginning.

A choir group singing Amazing Grace
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-m-Br82Cfs
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I never get tired of listening to this, especially the beginning.

A choir group singing Amazing Grace
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-m-Br82Cfs
    That's why I love choirs... and orchestras. Awesome clip. Thanks for sharing, kidd.

My thoughts on Charice. First we have to define what "making it" is. Are we talkin about making it like Kelly Clarkson or Brittney Spears?

Although it's true that image is important, it is my personal opinion that image and talent goes hand in hand. If your looks arent so hot but ur voice is extraordinary, your voice can carry you. i.e. Kelly Clarkson. On the other hand, if you have an appealing image and just a decent voice, your image can carry you. i.e. Brittney Spears.

I personally think Charice will have some fame and make some money. I think she pretty much made it already. After all, she's rolling with David Foster!!! She does have a few things against her. She's not too attractive and the western music industry is not really ready for asian performers. But I believe her voice will carry her.

Regarding her performances etc. I personally like her attitude. She's a performer.

I still cant see how that voice is coming out of that 9 year old body?
    Last edited by oGaKirA; 04-10-09 at 03:43 AM.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Any CIRQUE DU SOLEIL fans? I personally think all their performers are the cream of the crop...but one that Im jealous of is:

"Let Me Fall" - Mathieu Lavoie
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Any CIRQUE DU SOLEIL fans? I personally think all their performers are the cream of the crop...but one that Im jealous of is:

"Let Me Fall" - Mathieu Lavoie
    Hey, I'm not particularly a fan but I do appreciate the Cirquelite's performance. I'd set in some sort of mesmerization. Watching their performance inspires me to draw and fill my drawing with colours like theirs.

Here's one I'd like to share, which you'd probably find in your recent google engine:-

Susan Boyle singing singing 'I Dreamed A Dream' from Les Miserables in Britains Got Talent 2009

I thought she sang beautifully!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Hey, I'm not particularly a fan but I do appreciate the Cirquelite's performance. I'd set in some sort of mesmerization. Watching their performance inspires me to draw and fill my drawing with colours like theirs.

Here's one I'd like to share, which you'd probably find in your recent google engine:-

Susan Boyle singing singing 'I Dreamed A Dream' from Les Miserables in Britains Got Talent 2009

I thought she sang beautifully!
    LOL...i just got done watching Susan Boyle on another site bro. She so cute with her little antics and all. But ya....she sings beautifully!

Makes me wonder why she never persued a singing career sooner????

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Wow. Susan Boyle. What a moment!

Thank you Ah Ced for introducing me to spring.

What a woman we have in Susan! Such a perfect harmony of humility and confidence. Absolutely inspiring and charming character in addition to an amazing voice. Even the lyrics of the song are a perfect match to the story.

God's gift is sometimes wrapped in unexpected packages.

Simon (the judge) looks like he's in love!
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Susan Boyle has a very rare singing talent. Simon Cowell knows talent when he hears it, and is already moving to sign Ms. Boyle to a record contract.

The next important step is to select the right material to record. Ms. Boyle has a voice that can probably handle almost anything, but for maximum impact, the producers will need to select songs that will have maximum pop appeal.

Of course, therein lies the question: Susan Boyle's voice is that of an opera singer. Will she be recording an opera album, or a pop album?

"I dreamed a dream" is definitely "Susan's song" now.

I, like millions of others, are checking out previous versions of the song because of her.

It'll be interesting for her to cover other songs from Broadway/West End musicals such as "Memory" and "Don't cry for me Argentina". Grand and glamor songs will complement her voice.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Thank you Ah Ced for introducing me to spring.

What a woman we have in Susan! Such a perfect harmony of humility and confidence. Absolutely inspiring and charming character in addition to an amazing voice. Even the lyrics of the song are a perfect match to the story.

God's gift is sometimes wrapped in unexpected packages.

Simon (the judge) looks like he's in love!
    That's so true, Gwanny! Your lovely phrase in bold especially!

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    It'll be interesting for her to cover other songs from Broadway/West End musicals such as "Memory" and "Don't cry for me Argentina". Grand and glamor songs will complement her voice.
    As I recall the beautiful flowing of tune from "Don't cry for me Argentina", Gwanny, I second to that!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Susan Boyle's rendition of 'Cry Me a River' is even better then her rendition of 'I Dreamed A Dream'. Check it out here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ETPG26ALE
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Susan Boyle's rendition of 'Cry Me a River' is even better then her rendition of 'I Dreamed A Dream'. Check it out here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ETPG26ALE
    Yeah. I was thinking about posting it and you beat me to it. She's an internet phenon now.

Charice's new song - Always You (but not sure if this would be in her American album):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj65VZj0Fyw

The lyrics are a little corny though but her singing ability is undeniable.