Thread: Can anyone identify this Japanese Series

Default Can anyone identify this Japanese Series

If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it.

Can anyone help me find the name of this japanese tv series which was about 13 episodes long.

I saw this series back in 2003/4. The plot concerns three people who have to share a house. A young aspiring female fashion designer named Azuma, a young man who is very introverted and prefers to spend his time trying to finish a computer game involving jellyfish he is trying to create, and a middle age man who is struggling with his work.

The young man's grandmother is head of a prestigious company which deals with kimono pattern printing and design and she wants her grandson to stop staying in his room all day and go out. Also the woman that the middle age guy is dating happens to be that grandmother's daughter and the young man's aunt. Later in the series the fashion designer girl studies kimono pattern painting and I believe she implements it into modern fashion design.

The house they live in was originally rented by the girl but since she can't pay the full rent she has to let the young man and the middle age guy rent rooms in the house. She ends up liking the young man and in the end the guy finishes creating his game which becomes a success and goes to america to produce it promising to return in one year. But due to the success of his game and sequels he ends up staying away for 2 years while the girl has opened a fashion shop in front of the house. Meanwhile during those 2 years the middle age guy and the aunt has gotten married and she is pregnant. On the day that the young man returns, an earthquake occurs and the house (which was already old and shaky) collapses (but no one is hurt), the aunt goes into labor and the young man asks the girl to marry him.

Thats most of the plot I remember, and since I was watching the show in another language I couldn't identify the japanese or english title for it. So if anyone recognizes the storyline or can point me to a site which has complete listing of Japanese tv series (I've been to sites like JDorama.com and they don't have complete lists.)

Thanks.

There were a few fashion dramas but I don't remember a drama with that storyline. Do you know the actors or actresses name ?

Quote Originally Posted by applebee View Post
    There were a few fashion dramas but I don't remember a drama with that storyline. Do you know the actors or actresses name ?
    Sorry I don't think its a series which focuses on Fashion in the sense of catwalks, it's a series which deals with more about how the three of them struggled in life and create a home. The language I watched it in had the series' name translated into something which means House of Life.

Also I think the actor who played the young man was Oikawa Mitsuhiro but I've checked the list of series which he stared in but either the list is not complete or it was another actor which resembled him.

I'm not even sure if they would classify the series as a drama as it was only 13 or so episodes and wasn't that dramatical, it just had a nice slice of life style story.

I'll look around. If I find something that similar to what you said, I'll tell you

Thanks, in fact I saw another drama with Oikawa Mitsuhiro the other day and I am 100% positive that the short series I am looking for has him in it. Perhaps it was too short of a series to be considered a JDrama or it's not actually a JDrama at all instead just a regular tv show.

I also took a look at Oikawa Mitsuhiro's filmography and none of the listed items are it, but then I am not sure how complete a list his filmography is. And another thing is the series was probably made between 1995 and 2003.