12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vive la France!

6 50.00%
  • God save the Queen!

6 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: France vs. England

Default France vs. England

Yes, it's the French against the English again!

So next year I am going on an exchange (I'm incredibly excited already...I've never been to Europe before, believe it or not!). I take French, so I can either go to France or England. The debate now is...where to?

For any of you lucky ducks who have been to both countries, which did you like better? Of course I'll factor in other things like how "educational" the experience would be for me. Right now I'm leaning towards France in terms of food (haha, the belly rules the mind) and the arts (because France is like THE place for fashion and it has the most awesome art museums), but also leaning towards England in terms of historical significance. I'm also infinitely better at speaking in English than French. And idk. I really like Paris. But London is one of the only three cities I can see myself living in, and I need to like...check it out.

Also since it's an exchange, how friendly are the English and French?
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

havent been either, but if i had to choose, id pick france (paris). b/c i like what i see from movies ok this is a totally useless comment haha
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    havent been either, but if i had to choose, id pick france (paris). b/c i like what i see from movies ok this is a totally useless comment haha
    Same....cuz the girls are hotter.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

I'm so so so!!!! tempted to choose France, but there would be a language barrier so I pick England instead.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

The French are supposed to be a friendly bunch, but Parisians are renowned for despising foreigners. And by foreigners, that means anyone from outside Paris. OTOH, London is one of the most cosmopolitan places in the world, possibly rivalled only by New York.

I don't really enjoy speaking through the nose but...England is boring, and I love french fries

So, yes - France! At most, I'd be going "Oui oui oui", "Comment Cava?", "Bonne nuit", "Bon Jour" and keep singing "Le Mer".... plus, I'd tell them "Je suis partout"

Je' Taime Paris!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 03-18-08 at 10:53 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

YO MADD DRUNKKKK.
    neways hahaha. omg ur going next year? me too! lets go to london together!
    number of piercings - 8 and counting.

<3 them.

Even though Parisians are f*cking a-holes, the country is so damn gorgeous that you can't help but love it.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Same....cuz the girls are hotter.
    Honey, I like metrosexual men but I'm goddam straight. And British men are hotter, I've got to say. HOTTEST ACCENTS EVER. After Australian. Plus even if French guys were hotter, I can't flirt! They don't teach you these things. "Je veux que tu me fasses?"

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Even though Parisians are f*cking a-holes, the country is so damn gorgeous that you can't help but love it.
    Are Parisians really that bad? Cos it's an exchange and if my exchange student is *****y...well, I'm not the nicest person on earth (quite an understatement) when someone is pissing me off.

Why's it ****ing 1:05 AM?!?!? Eh, more tomorrow (or later today, to be exact). Keep on offering opinions thanksalot.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

france b/c of food, new culture/language/surroundings (in my mind, england seems like a poorman's usa , yes i am bias! dont flame me now ), and most importantly... hot girls

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

Oh shoot, I keep forgetting to respond to this thread. Sorry, I don’t have too much to contribute, but here is what I have heard from my best friend, who had recently spent 2 months in England and 1 month in France. These are the responds that I get from her during every conversation:

When she was in England:

Bella: "Hey girl, how are you doing? How is everything over there?"
    BGF: "Freaken' aye...it's so damn cold here. The weather is horrible and the foods are nasty!"

When she was in France:

Bella: "Hey girl, how are you doing? How is everything over there?"
    BGF: "I swear, I hate French people. They are so damn rude!" Then she would go into scenarios...

Personally, I would like to visit France. It has been a dream of mine to visit Paris since I was a little girl. Besides, I don’t have a problem dealing with rude people, but I have a huge problem dealing with terrible weather and shitty foods.
    Last edited by bellamia; 03-19-08 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Honey, I like metrosexual men but I'm goddam straight. And British men are hotter, I've got to say. HOTTEST ACCENTS EVER. After Australian. Plus even if French guys were hotter, I can't flirt! They don't teach you these things. "Je veux que tu me fasses?"
    HEY! If chu wanting hot assent, chu having me! I sumting wong?

Well my French is rusty so I babelfished your quote and it translates to..."I want that you make me?" .........ohhhhh....that is soooo sexy baby!
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

I've been dreaming of visiting England forever. I love English pop culture, love their music taste for the most part. I want to visit London of course, but also Manchester, the city of some of the best bands in the world. I'll try out some gigs.

I went to Paris and Normandie like ten years ago and I wasn't impressed. It was hot as hell and no AC at any house and apartment. At the shopping mall, I could barely feel the cold breeze, might as well not turn it on. The food was good, but not great as I thought. Unless you go to those fancy restaurants, the normal joints are nothing to write home about. I live in Montreal and we can have all those bagettes and patés just as good as the everyday French so the food in France wasn't anything new to me. Maybe Americans from the mid-West would enjoy the food more. Finally, the rudeness. Yes, Parisians are indeed very rude, no matter what language you speak. I can't say that people from Normandie are any nicer, they can be quite rude too. French are only nice when you know them personally.

Both countries are major destinations and should be worth a visit no matter what. Ask what you enjoy best. Do you enjoy going to restaurants, going to gigs, what type of architecture you like, etc. then choose your destination according to your tastes.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    (in my mind, england seems like a poorman's usa , yes i am bias! dont flame me now )
    I think England is so much richer in culture and history

Paris used to be my dream destination until people started telling me how unfriendly the people are, how over-rated the food is and how expensive everything else is. I dont really dream of going there anymore though i still want to visit the Louvre and Eiffel.

I've been to London and other places in England and i like it. True, the food is nothing fantastic though the Northern Indian restaurants in London serve awesome dishes. And there are a couple of Chinese stalls in Soho which serve rather authentic Chinese food. Many places to visit as well: British Museum, London Eye, Westminster Abby, Tower of London, River Thames etc.

Atm, city wise, I would pick London over Paris, though I think both England and France have very beautiful lesser cities, towns and countrysides. I think it depends on which part of the country you're going on exchange to Sparky.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Default Parisienne Walkways

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    For any of you lucky ducks who have been to both countries, which did you like better?
    Having been lucky enough to have been in both countries, and having seen the sheer inanity of some of the responses in this thread, I thought I'd throw in my two (Euro) cents.

The first thing to mention is that travelling between England and France takes just over 2 hours by train. You can live in one place and visit the other very easily, so you can have the best of both worlds.

It's true that France has better food than England - France has a glorious gastronomic culture, whereas England doesn't - but on a practical level, you may not notice the difference. Good-quality raw produce (for cooking) is easier to find in France, as are nice mid-level restaurants (particularly in the regions), but as a student, day-to-day you'll probably end up eating the same old cheap cr*p whether you live in London or Paris. If you have the money and/or you want to splurge, both cities have more than enough world-class, celebrity-infested restaurants to keep you occupied. (The difference is that, in London, you'll recognise the celebrities.)

English weather is tempestuous, and it can be horribly dreary up north. But when people talk about nice French weather, that only really applies to the southern regions. Paris is better than London, but not vastly better. I've struggled from the Louvre to the Eiffel Tower ("It doesn't look that far away. Let's walk!") in the freezing cold, and I've wandered across Hyde Park in the gleaming sunshine.

Some final thoughts. I've not seen any evidence that the French are ruder or less friendly than the British, from personal experience. Paris is built to be beautiful; London has hidden charms. France's universities (with the exception of the business schools, and elite institutions like the ÉNA and 'Sciences-Po') are likely inferior to those in the US. And there's recently been a certain amount of social unrest (e.g. riots, strikes) in Paris, although it's not a big concern for students.

Personally, I'd pick Paris. Not because it's "better". Just because it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx View Post
    Having been lucky enough to have been in both countries, and having seen the sheer inanity of some of the responses in this thread, I thought I'd throw in my two (Euro) cents.
    Well, that's rather arrogant don't you think? As individuals, we're all different and so we see the world differently. One sees one thing positively, the other might see the opposite. We're just sharing our experiences and no views are better than the other. Nothing tells me that your experiences are more valid than others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    Well, that's rather arrogant don't you think? As individuals, we're all different and so we see the world differently. One sees one thing positively, the other might see the opposite. We're just sharing our experiences and no views are better than the other. Nothing tells me that your experiences are more valid than others'.
    It's not arrogant to make critical comments about previous posts. You yourself have just done so. I disagree that no views are better than others, as it's clear to me that thoughtful posts (e.g. #13) are more constructive for any serious topic than certain other posts. As for experiences, I don't make any claims about mine in particular being "more valid" than anyone else's. Less inane, but no more valid.

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx View Post
    It's not arrogant to make critical comments about previous posts. You yourself have just done so. I disagree that no views are better than others, as it's clear to me that thoughtful posts (e.g. #13) are more constructive for any serious topic than certain other posts. As for experiences, I don't make any claims about mine in particular being "more valid" than anyone else's. Less inane, but no more valid.
    You're right about about being able to critic comments and I have done so many times. It's also true that some views are better thought. I didn't express myself clearly on my previous post. Let me start over again.

People are only sharing their experiences and perceptions. Even if some don't elaborate, they are just innocent individual views of how they see both countries. It's hard for me to explain, but let's just say that for this particular thread, I just don't see the need to criticize and I find your comment rather arrogant.

Anyway, write whatever you want, I just felt that your little comment was uncalled for.

watchout for this tho

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/cjkilla/France-terror.jpg')

England is great but, Of course France!! I love Paris!!

*J'adore la France!!!!
    Click here and visit this site!!!

Love :
    Alex Fong Chung Sun, Gallen Lo, Alec Su, Ming Dao, Bobby Au Yeung.
    Love: Zhang Jia Ni, Jessica Hsuan, Jang Nara, Chen Qiao.