Thread: Did Sai Mun Chui Sheut get sword philosophy as well as other sword greats of wuxia?

Default Did Sai Mun Chui Sheut get sword philosophy as well as other sword greats of wuxia?

Much has been made of the notion that despite being a very, very good swordsman, Sai Mun Chui Sheut from the LUK SIU FUNG stories probably did not reach the pinnacles of sword mastery that Yin 13 or Tse Hiu Fung did in Gu Long's own universe (because of the relative ways their swordsmanship abilities were described) or Jin Yong's sword elites such as Dook Goo Kau Bai and Fung Ching Yeung.

We know what Sai Mun Chui Sheut's physical limitations were and whom in the LUK SIU FUNG world he was not capable of defeating. That being said, would you say that he understood the underlying philosophy of the sword as well as a Tse Hiu Fung or a Dook Goo Kau Bai? Sai Mun Chui Sheut's discussion with Yip Goo Sing as he berated Yip for attempting to assassinate the emperor seems to indicate that this was the case.

If we look at XMCX through the eyes of JY's strongest swordsman DGQB, then XMCX's mastering of the sword is indeed shallow and weak.

Clearly, XMCX cannot live without his sword. He can't combat without his trusted sword. I think he haven't reached the stage of "overcoming the sword without a sword", he's too over reliant on his sword.

I think he understand the underlying philosophy of the sword, but its just that either he haven't mastered till that stage, or he doesn't have the potential to reach that stage (which I think is).

I'm not quite sure about Yan 13 or Xie Xiaofeng though. On the other hand, we can't left out Yan Nantian, he's another wonderful sword great.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    If we look at XMCX through the eyes of JY's strongest swordsman DGQB, then XMCX's mastering of the sword is indeed shallow and weak.

Clearly, XMCX cannot live without his sword. He can't combat without his trusted sword. I think he haven't reached the stage of "overcoming the sword without a sword", he's too over reliant on his sword.
    Don't forget, however, that when Sai Mun Chui Sheut first appears in LUK SIU FUNG, he is not yet even thirty years old (I think he was twenty-seven at the time). At the age of thirty, Dook Goo Kau Bai himself was still relying on the Heavy Iron Sword. He wouldn't reach Wooden Sword stage until he was forty, and it must have been some years after that before he reached the "No Sword" stage.

By the LUK SIU FUNG novel following THE DUEL (Book 3), Sai Mun Chui Sheut no longer carried his sword on a regular basis. He used whatever was at hand as his sword (most commonly, his enemy's weapon).

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    I'm not quite sure about Yan 13 or Xie Xiaofeng though. On the other hand, we can't left out Yan Nantian, he's another wonderful sword great.
    I don't recall YNT using his sword much. The only time I recall it was when he used a rusted piece of metal like a HIS. Unlike XMCX or LHC, YNT was seen to use his palms and bare-handed kung fu as well and he was also pretty invincible with them.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I don't recall YNT using his sword much. The only time I recall it was when he used a rusted piece of metal like a HIS. Unlike XMCX or LHC, YNT was seen to use his palms and bare-handed kung fu as well and he was also pretty invincible with them.
    To be labelled as "天下第一神剑", I think YNT could be somewhere around Y13 and XXF's level. His Jiayi Shengong was pretty good, but I think he's more powerful with his sword. I think he frequently used his sword prior to being confined at the Evil Manor. (eg. against Kunlun people I think)
    ..ext88