Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Spcnet Facebook Group?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    Someone already got it hehehe.

Are you part of the group?
    i think i got it, too. do i get my prize now?
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Quote Originally Posted by S Beaver View Post
    i think i got it, too. do i get my prize now?
    Haha, who are you though?
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    Haha, who are you though?
    you don't expect me to reveal my here here, do you?

i ask for a prize if i get the answer right

Quote Originally Posted by S Beaver View Post
    you don't expect me to reveal my here here, do you?

i ask for a prize if i get the answer right
    I'll think of a prize.
    I figured out who you are too.
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    It's Vietnamese. Not the most common last name around.
    Really? Take a walk in Thanh Hoa province and nearby ones. You can't walk 10m without bumping into one of your relatives.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Really? Take a walk in Thanh Hoa province and nearby ones. You can't walk 10m without bumping into one of your relatives.
    Which is why I'm never going there.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...outnarcissists

Fri Sep 26, 9:31 AM ET

Facebook profiles can tell you more than just peoples' birthdays and what movies they like - they can reveal the self-adoring, a new study suggests.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Researchers at the University of Georgia gave personality questionnaires to nearly 130 Facebook users and analyzed the content of their online profiles. They also had untrained observers look at the profiles and rate how narcissistic, or excessively egotistical, the owners of the profiles were.

The results of the study are detailed in the October issue of the journal Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.

The researchers found that the number of friends and wall posts (messages left by the owner of the profile or friends) that a person had on their profile correlated with how narcissistic they were. Study leader Laura Buffardi, a Ph.D. student in psychology, said this is similar to how narcissists behave in the real world, forming numerous but shallow relationships with others.

Narcissistic Facebook users were also more likely to have glamorous, self-promoting pictures for their main profile photo, while others tended to use snapshots, the study found. The untrained observers also noted the differences in photos and amount of social interaction.

"We found that people who are narcissistic use Facebook in a self-promoting way that can be identified by others," Buffardi said.

Narcissism hampers a person's ability to form healthy, long-term relationships, said study co-author W. Keith Campbell.

"Narcissists might initially be seen as charming, but they end up using people for their own advantage," Campbell said. "They hurt the people around them and they hurt themselves in the long run."

In the past, research has found that personal Web pages are more popular among narcissists, but this doesn't mean that all Facebook users are narcissists.

"Nearly all of our students use Facebook, and it seems to be a normal part of people's social interactions," Campbell said. "It just turns out that narcissists are using Facebook the same way they use their other relationships - for self-promotion with an emphasis on quantity over quality."
    This account is retired.

... But we were taught to be narcissistic with that self-esteem movement!
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

I use facebk to stay in touch. much more natural to shoot a fren you haven't seen for a while an email than coming him/her up out of the blue.
    This account is retired.

Hi guys,

I've been A LONG-time lurker, but a H-U-G-E fan of the site. I'm not too sure but, is there a 'general' SPCNET Facebook group that anyone is allowed to join?

Sorry, if this question has been asked before.

-Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWong View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been A LONG-time lurker, but a H-U-G-E fan of the site. I'm not too sure but, is there a 'general' SPCNET Facebook group that anyone is allowed to join?

-Peter
    I think ANYONE can join.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWong View Post
    Hi guys,

-Peter
    Just pm PJ here.

Sure that you'll be invited.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Hm, The Week magazine ran another couple of paragraphs on Facebook and narcissism again. It says the following, verbatim:

"Narcissism is a personality disorder characterized by intense self-absorption. Narcissists don't really value other people, seeing them purely as a tool to serve their own needs. Researchers at the University of George who studied Facebook profiles found telltale signs of narcissism in a small but significant portion of them. Instead of a snapshot, narcissists often feature a glamour shot or a professional photo. They tend to have large numbers of online friends and plenty of back and forth wall posts, but few truly intimate friends. In this way, a narcissist's Facebook presence mirrors his real social life. "

Any one fit that profile? haha.

I don't even upload my photos on my account, so I guess I am not a narcissist.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

This is really just correlational data though. Not all people who have good pictures on Facebook are narcissists. Also, narcisism itself is not a disorder, narcissistic personality disorder is.
    I should get my hands on that article.
    My love and my agony.

I have suspicions of people who would pay to have professional photographers take glamor shots of them anyway. I can understand some people with poor self esteem could use the opportunity to feel good about themselves, but when it's someone without esteem problems taking those pics and passing around the finished portfolio to let people check them out and wait for compliments, something's messed up in the 'membrane.

There's someone in my family who does this... but I shall say no more.

Some people may be models. I know a friend's friend, who happens to be a model, and she uses her portfolio pictures as her Facebook pictures. From what I know of her, she is not narcissistic. Sometimes people just do it for fun. If you have a photogrqapher friend who's willing to take nice pictures of you, then most people would do it. It's more of an issue if you're just constantly trying to look nice and get compliments.
    My love and my agony.

Hm, it seems some people like to photoshop their own photos where they are making their favorite poses. Like into the jumbotron of sporting events, or in the giant display at Time Square. I am not sure what to think of it.

I don't see why it's such a big deal. It's Facebook. People like tos hare certain sillyness with their friends.
    My love and my agony.

It's also about people who like posting pics of them drinking and partying it up so they can increase their social status to show they're constantly living up the lifestyle *rolls eyes*.

I dread it when people tag me...hate having all these "facebook friends" know details about my life. Some of them are friends in real life, most are acquaintances.

Facebook doesn't have to be something formal, so people really can post whatever they want (as long as it's abiding the regulations). I don't really care for people who post drinking pictures, though sometimes they're funny. People have different ideas of what's fun and social, some like drinking, some like going to a concert or orchestra.

You can just delete people if you're not close enough with them, or you can restrict who can view which parts of your profile.
    My love and my agony.