Thread: What are the current edition of the books?

Default What are the current edition of the books?

I know that all the books already have a third edition, and some even have a fourth. What are the current edition of all of JY's books? Is he still editing them?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    I know that all the books already have a third edition, and some even have a fourth. What are the current edition of all of JY's books? Is he still editing them?
    There are no fourth editions. The older novels are in their third editions, while the relatively newer novels are in their second editions.

I belive JY has updated all of his books to the 3rd and what he claims is the last edition.

I could swear I've seen someone mension a 4th edition BXJ.

after reading all these threads i kinda want to start reading the novels rather than rely on the tv series. SEriously, u guys are crazy with ur JY knowledge. If i was to start attempting to read with my bare to minimal chinese skills in character recognition and never tried to read actual chinese literature, which edition should i get? which edition do u think is better for LOCH, ROCH, and such.

Quote Originally Posted by asiatique2491 View Post
    after reading all these threads i kinda want to start reading the novels rather than rely on the tv series. SEriously, u guys are crazy with ur JY knowledge. If i was to start attempting to read with my bare to minimal chinese skills in character recognition and never tried to read actual chinese literature, which edition should i get? which edition do u think is better for LOCH, ROCH, and such.
    The three editions of JY novels are not differentiated by the difficulty of language; instead they are differentiated mostly by the year of publication and the changes in the certain plot-lines, if any at all.

Generally, you would need to be able to read a normal Chinese daily newspaper in order to read JY novels with a decent level of comprehension. This translates to approximately 3,000 Chinese characters at least (more would be better), regardless of whether these are in traditional or simplified script.

Back to the different editions:

The first edition novels are almost impossible to get on the market right now, unless someone decides to put them for sale on eBay or something. The best you can do (if you want to read the first eds) would be to borrow them from the individual owners.

The second edition novels are generally not available in bookstores anymore, unless they are left-over inventory items gathering dust in some hidden corner, or in the "sale" bin. However, thanks to fans worldwide, the second edition novels are available on the web, in various degrees of accuracy and completeness. Check out this thread for more information about obtaining a decent set of the second edition novels.

The third edition novels are what you would find in most bookstores that carry such titles, so you could actually purchase these if you would like to.

Printed (hardcopy) novels are available in both simplified and traditional script, depending on where they are published and/or sold.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Actually, when I was in Hong Kong a few months ago, most book stores were still carrying 2nd editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post
    Actually, when I was in Hong Kong a few months ago, most book stores were still carrying 2nd editions.
    That's great , because readers and fans will still be able to get the 2nd ed in hardcopy/print. The town I live in (in Malaysia) tends to be among those that "gets new things" later than most, and seeing that the bookstores/stalls here that I have visited so far are all carrying the 3rd edition (except for one, which had a few dusty sets of the 2nd ed DGSD), I figured that most places elsewhere in the world (especially Hong Kong and Taiwan) would be having the 3rd ed already. Looks like I'm wrong ... and glad to be so too!
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

well if looking at plot and stuff, which edition is better?

Quote Originally Posted by asiatique2491 View Post
    well if looking at plot and stuff, which edition is better?
    In terms of editions. imho, the 2nd edition is the best. It is the best established, and the one most familiar to readers around the world.

JY attempted to correct things with the 3rd edition, but it is subtraction by addition. There are, imho, unnecessary plot details added, and some novels like some characters in novels such as DGSD has changed dramatically due to the changes.

Re: 4th edition, i watched a documentary on CCTV in July last year, that claims that JY may start his 4th ed. revision soon.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    In terms of editions. imho, the 2nd edition is the best. It is the best established, and the one most familiar to readers around the world.

JY attempted to correct things with the 3rd edition, but it is subtraction by addition. There are, imho, unnecessary plot details added, and some novels like some characters in novels such as DGSD has changed dramatically due to the changes.

Re: 4th edition, i watched a documentary on CCTV in July last year, that claims that JY may start his 4th ed. revision soon.

Han Solo
    Geez, If it ain't broken, don't fix it. If he has so much time to revise, he should take that time and write new novels or at least short novels/stories.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Geez, If it ain't broken, don't fix it. If he has so much time to revise, he should take that time and write new novels or at least short novels/stories.
    I wonder if his sons are going to write wuxia stories like their father.

BTW, did you know that one of his sons died as an oversea student in Columbia University?

The minor changes from 3rd editions are generally nice. I consider those to be enhancements.

But the major changes, are more controversial.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Anyone knows any website that can read the first edition online??