Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you think Wang Yuyan should have ended up with Duan Yu?

Frankly, WYY can continue to be with DY together with MWQ and ZL. But I really do not understand the need for a Xixia princess's "servant" to be with DY. Can someone enlighten me on this, especially those who have read the 3rd edition. The "servant" does look very pretty and knowledgeable in the 2000s series. But, it will be nicer if she is a "princess".

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Frankly, WYY can continue to be with DY together with MWQ and ZL. But I really do not understand the need for a Xixia princess's "servant" to be with DY. Can someone enlighten me on this, especially those who have read the 3rd edition. The "servant" does look very pretty and knowledgeable in the 2000s series. But, it will be nicer if she is a "princess".
    I have a nagging feeling it's just to 'make up the numbers'.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Pardon me for my poor memory. When DY agreed to marry Xixia Princess's servant, did he know that MWQ and ZL were his "step-sisters"? If so, should the servant be his first wife instead? Btw, does the servant have a proper name?
    Last edited by wkeej; 12-19-12 at 05:50 AM.

Pardon me for my poor memory. When DY agreed to marry Xixia Princess's servant, did he know that MWQ and ZL were his "step-sisters"?
    Yes he did.

If so, should the servant be his first wife instead?
    Probably if it were the princess herself, but since she was not... Mu Wanqing became the '貴妃' (guifei), Zhong Ling became the '賢妃' (xianfei) and the servant was the '淑妃' (shufei) - i.e. they became 3 of the 4 consorts who in the Song ranking system would come just behind the empress.

Btw, does the servant have a proper name?
    曉蕾 (Mandarin: Xiao Lei, cantonese: Hiu Lui)

The princess' name was 李清露 (Mandarin: Li Qinglu, cantonese: Lei Cinglo).

Thanks, Doc Kwok. Yes, Xiao Lei rings a bell.

Side-track: Do not want to start a new thread as I remember this has been discussed before but somehow I can't find it.

Among all the girl cousins of DY, who is the oldest and who is the youngest? What is their age range? You can link me to the thread if you know.

i think MWQ is older than ZL as ZL always call her mu jie jie :-) As for Ah zhu and Ah Zhi think there was no mentioned who is older....
    TaZzY InC

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972 View Post
    i think MWQ is older than ZL as ZL always call her mu jie jie :-) As for Ah zhu and Ah Zhi think there was no mentioned who is older....
    Ah Zhu is older.

This thread looks interesting

Can someone explain to me what exactly happened at the end with DY and WYY? All I know is they didn't end up together. ??

Some writeup of the novel including the three edition changes here.
    MWQ = 18 yrs old
    Ah Zhu = 17 yrs old
    WYY and ZL = 16 yrs old
    Ah Zhi = 15 yrs old

http://nicene-hobbit.blogspot.sg/200...mi-devils.html

Overall, I like Deun Yu as a character, but letting him end up with Wong Yu Yin was, I believe, sending a wrong message because it seemed to say that stalking is a behavior that is rewarded. That's a very irresponsible message to send to impressionable young minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Kwok View Post
    Yes he did.

Probably if it were the princess herself, but since she was not... Mu Wanqing became the '貴妃' (guifei), Zhong Ling became the '賢妃' (xianfei) and the servant was the '淑妃' (shufei) - i.e. they became 3 of the 4 consorts who in the Song ranking system would come just behind the empress.

曉蕾 (Mandarin: Xiao Lei, cantonese: Hiu Lui)

The princess' name was 李清露 (Mandarin: Li Qinglu, cantonese: Lei Cinglo).
    Then who's the empress?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Then who's the empress?
    No queen or empress. But do not know why. My speculation is that by right, the princess's maid should be the first wife and the queen. Possibly because of her lower status, she has to be made a consort.

Duan Zhengchun started his affairs earlier. It is also strange that her daughters are younger than Duan Yu since Zhengchun's affair is later.

Haven't read the 3rd edition but really disappointed when I heard then WYY leaves Duan Yu for crazy MRF in the revision. WYY swears in the novel in the well, that from that day Duan Yu is the only one in her heart. ( or perhaps its not true, just re-watch the 1996 version and there is a scene like that so perhaps my memory is mixed up ). Also, inside of the well, don't Duan Yu and Wang Yu Yan commit husband and wife action ( for that time ... only married couple can do it... , if you know that I mean, or they don't really do it ? ).

Quote Originally Posted by mideel View Post
    ... Also, inside of the well, don't Duan Yu and Wang Yu Yan commit husband and wife action ( for that time ... only married couple can do it... , if you know that I mean, or they don't really do it ? ).
    Based on my memory, no husband and wife action = "sxx" happened in the well. Or am I wrong?

Based on my memory, no husband and wife action = "sxx" happened in the well. Or am I wrong?
    Its probably because of combination of poor translation to my local language and my own interpretation so I misunderstand... ..
    There is this writing when both of them fall into the well right " Two hearts become one" ? , I forget where but I read similar phrase in Jin Yong novels to describe sxx in soft way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Overall, I like Deun Yu as a character, but letting him end up with Wong Yu Yin was, I believe, sending a wrong message because it seemed to say that stalking is a behavior that is rewarded. That's a very irresponsible message to send to impressionable young minds.
    Don't be so politically correct!
    There is nothing wrong with Deun Yu ends up with Wong Yu Yin. Deun Yu deserves her more than the loser MYF.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 12-25-15 at 02:30 AM.

After reading bits and pieces of DGSD,
    I was shocked that in the 3rd edition Duan Yu and Wang Yuyan were not together.
    No fairy tale ending.

However, I kind of know why the author separated them in the ending.
    Throughout the story DY was so obsessed with her. Imagine becoming an emperor and all day thinking about her, just love on his mind.

Therefore, Jinyong probably wanted DY to break free from this obsession, so he could focus on his empire and become a good emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by FeilongZ View Post
    After reading bits and pieces of DGSD,
    I was shocked that in the 3rd edition Duan Yu and Wang Yuyan were not together.
    No fairy tale ending.

However, I kind of know why the author separated them in the ending.
    Throughout the story DY was so obsessed with her. Imagine becoming an emperor and all day thinking about her, just love on his mind.

Therefore, Jinyong probably wanted DY to break free from this obsession, so he could focus on his empire and become a good emperor.
    Further thoughts:
    WYY ending up with the despicable Murong Fu is almost equivalent to somehow Guo Fu marrying Yang Guo or Xiaolongnu falling in love with Gongsun Chi.

Side notes:
    The only things good about the 1997 and 2006 DGSD tv series besides the many exciting fight scenes and XF, were the courtship scenes of Duan Yu with the beautiful Wang Yuyan (Carmen Lee and Liu Yifei), loving couple, like a fairy tale.

Quote Originally Posted by FeilongZ View Post
    Further thoughts:
    WYY ending up with the despicable Murong Fu is almost equivalent to somehow Guo Fu marrying Yang Guo or Xiaolongnu falling in love with Gongsun Chi.

Side notes:
    The only things good about the 1997 and 2006 DGSD tv series besides the many exciting fight scenes and XF, were the courtship scenes of Duan Yu with the beautiful Wang Yuyan (Carmen Lee and Liu Yifei), loving couple, like a fairy tale.
    I wonder who is decribed as more beautiful, 18 year old Xiaolongnu or 16 year old Wang Yuyan?