Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Master Of Tai Chi 《太極》

Default The Master Of Tai Chi 《太極》

Any idea if this new TVB series has finished production?
    Last edited by triumph2004; 12-16-08 at 05:48 PM.

When is this series released?

This is a China production, it was released last year. Part 2 came out a few months ago.
    "Most men are of naught more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into shit."

-- Miles Vorkosigan quoting his grandfather (Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory")

actually, this is a tvb production. tvb specifically created this role for vincent and invited him to be their main lead. his female co-star is melissa ng and other cast members include kenneth ma, raymond lam, myolie wu. i think the shooting is done as myolie is trying to gain weight for her new series. but i don't know when it will be released.

i'm a huge vincent fan...just don't bother to keep up with anything though.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

http://www.wu-jing.org/News.php

-- Taichi TV Series --

Production of Taichi TV series has begun without much fanfare (being a closed set) in January. Following the positive response from their Wing Chun based Real Kung Fu TV series starring Yuen Biao, Leung Kar Yan, Yuen Wah, TVB again engaged another martial arts star to play the leading role of Wu Ma. This time round, it's Zhao Wen Zhuo and apparently, TVB had this series tailor-made for him. Taichi is set in the early 1900s and tells of how Wu Ma, through the practice of Taichi, gains an understanding of the philosophy of using gentleness to counter hard-hitting moves. And all these would not be complete without TVB usual dosage of the protagonist's multiple romantic interests. Other cast members include Raymond Lam and Myolie Wu. Nanfang News

Quote Originally Posted by tinac
    This is a China production, it was released last year. Part 2 came out a few months ago.

Default Tai Chi starring Raymond Lam,Vincent,Myolie,Melissa Ng

Credits to: http://jaynestars.com

Interview with Raymond Lam

R= Reporter RAY= Raymond

R= Can you tell us more about your character in "Tai Chi?"

RAY= At the beginning of the series, my family has a martial arts school in the capital, so we are considered one of the powerful families in the city. But I was not involved in the management of the martial arts school. Rather, I was taking music lessons in Shanghai, leading to my father's constant worry that I would abandon martial arts and that he wouldn't have a successor in running the martial arts school.

My character has very good martial arts skills since I have been practicing the form at a young age. I never lost interest in martial arts; I just felt that my father was able to manage the martial arts school on his own, so I pursued other interests such as playing the violin.

When I finally returned to the capital, my father had passed away and the entire family [as well as the martial arts school] became my responsibility. My character had to mature under a very short time.

R= Which martial arts style does your character practice; is it also taichi?

RAY= No, Vincent Zhao's style is taichi. My martial arts form is based on "Southern Fist." Before filming, I took 10 martial arts classes in Hong Kong to learn some basics.

R= Then your martial arts skills now should be quite impressive.

RAY= Not really, the lessons were focused on teaching me enough skills to look convincing when executing the moves onscreen. Vincent has been practicing martial arts for over 10 years and I just took 10 lessons (laughs), so TVB's action choreographer put a lot of hard efforts [to make our combat scenes look realistic].

R= After filming so many ancient dramas, you must have improved your kung fu skills?

RAY= My past series were martial arts series, but this time it is the kung fu genre, which is very different. In martial arts series, you engage primarily in swordplay and you wear long-robed costumes; so there are a lot of effects that can be produced to make the results look convincing. In 'Tai Chi,' I also use various weapons, but you still have to convey the impression that your body is full of strength and that you have a kungfu background.

When you engage in hand-to-hand combat, it is easier to reveal mistakes than in martial arts swordplay. In "Tai Chi," we wear short-robed costumes for our fight sequences, so you have to put real effort in the leg movements as well, otherwise the results would not look convincing.

R= In that respect, isn't it very easy to get hurt on set?

RAY= Yes, once you engage in combat, there will be contact and it is very easy to get hurt. Earlier I filmed a scene and I hurt my back, so I can no longer do the wire scenes myself.

Also, I had to film a horseriding scene earlier. Once I got on the horse, I realized it was a wild horse, so I immediately got off, otherwise I may have been thrown off by the horse. I don't know why they allowed me to ride on a wild horse. (laughs)

Another time, I hurt my leg during filming. I could only bandage it up and continue filming. When it was time to get stitches for the wound, I realized I had lost a lot of blood. They stitched me up without use of anesthesia (Raymond imitates the stitching motion); it was extremely painful! (laughs)

R= Do you have a lot of combat sequences with Vincent Zhao?

RAY= I have 4 combat scenes with him. It is much more comfortable "fighting" Vincent than a stunt person because he is able to match your movements. Even other people who know real kung fu may not be able to match and coordinate with your movements, but he's very good at it, so it makes for a very comfortable fight.

R= Can you tell us about your love relationship in "Tai Chi?"

RAY= My character is in love with Myolie Wu's character. However she had amnesia at the time, so I did not know anything about her complex background nor family history.

Myolie was deeply in love with Vincent before she lost her memory, but I still loved her as well. We are in a love rectangle since Vincent likes Melissa Ng Mei Hang.

R= What are some new things you experienced during filming?

RAY= Aside from improving my fighting skills, I also had a lot of crying scenes. Since I have a painful love relationship with Myolie, I often had a lot of emotional crying scenes. Although Myolie loved Vincent, I was still madly in love with her, so I refused to let go.

R= Acting in crying scenes, is it a lot of hard work?

RAY= Acting by nature is hard work, especially having acted for so many years....

R= In that case, have you thought about giving up acting?

RAY= Why is it necessary to give up? (Serious tone) What job does not require hard work? If you want to be successful, you have to put in hard work.

We have been filming in China, but the paparazzi from Hong Kong still came here to take photos of us. They are like private detectives, but the only difference is that their published stories are not based on real facts. My personal sentiment is that the paparazzi are not doing the job of a reporter, but rather they are acting like scriptwriters. (At this time, the director's son came by, Raymond stopped to coo the baby.)

R= Do you like children a lot?

RAY= Yes, children are a lot of fun, especially when they are in a playful mood. However when they get upset, then they become very difficult. (laughs) There is a child [actor] on set and his name is Little Tiger; he is very playful.

R= Actually when you become playful, you're like a kid!

RAY= Yes that's right, I'm like a child. (Pretends to be serious)

R= You appeared in several Huang Yi adaptations; is it because you like acting in martial arts series?

RAY= It's not because of personal preference, but due to the right timing. If a producer asks me to film, I will take the offer despite the fact that I personally prefer working on modern series.

It is very hard work filming in ancient dramas especially if you have to wear thick costumes in high temperatures. For some reason, when the weather is cold, we have to film water scenes. (laughs)

R= What are some recent modern series you appeared in?

RAY= "La Femme Desperado" was one of my recent series. In order to lose weight for the fitness trainer role, I did not eat rice for half a month. I stayed away from greasy, overly salty and sweet foods.

R= Are you planning on releasing a music album?

RAY= My music plans have to wait until I finish filming. I have not started recording for an album yet because I still have some work to wrap up in Shanghai first.

R= What project will you film next?

RAY= I will be filming a China series, which is based on a young romantic novel. I will start filming in May and the project will likely take 2 months to complete.

Credits to: http://jaynestars.com

Interview with Vincent Zhao

R= Reporter V= Vincent

R= "Tai Chi" was custom-tailored for you; can you speak about the unique qualities of your character?

V= The series is focused on the martial art style of taichi, which I am very familiar with, since I have been practicing taichi at a very young age. At first we thought about setting the story in modern times, but changed it to the 1930's, as martial arts films set in this era are popular internationally.

The series is about the personal growth of my character, recognizing who I am and making peace with those around me, while perfecting my taichi skills and becoming a legendary master. My character grew up in the mountains under the watch of my martial arts master. Since my parents abandoned me at a young age, I had a lot of rage inside me. Each time I entered the village, the people there would scold and hit me.

I thought the world owed me, but after leaving the mountains, I slowly come to terms with who I am and mature in the process. My lover in the series Melissa Ng Mei Hang's character also helped me in the transition. As my taichi skills are refined, I also realize why people treated me a certain way in the past. I achieve inner peace and become a more complete person.

R= What makes "Tai Chi" different from your past series?

V= I have always wanted to appear in a series focused on a special martial arts style. My initial ideas for this series were all accepted by TVB; they even arranged 4 scriptwriters to work with me, so the final script reflects a lot of my ideas in it, [especially the ideas on taichi]. In taichi, mental strength is very important; if you can combine your mind with your body to achieve inner peace, then your body will be healthy.

Also this series features a lot of hand-to-hand combat, so the fight sequences are very realistic looking, unlike other series which use a lot of wire work.

R= Many martial arts films now incorporate overly flashy fight sequences for the sake of entertainment, but "Tai Chi" offers real combat sequences. Is it trying to break new ground?

V= When I was young, real kung fu films like Jet Li's "Shaolin Temple" was very popular. However in the past few years, the trend was to include more wire work and have more 'flying' sequences. But now real fung fu is again in high demand.

R= To incorporate real kung fu onscreen, what are some of the challenges?

V= In a real fight, you would control your strength so that upon contact, the force would be delivered towards your opponent. However, in films and tv series, it's the opposite. When you deliver the blow or kick, it has to look full of force to be convincing, yet upon contact, it should not produce real pain for your opponent. This is what they mean by 'the blow hitting the skin, but not the flesh underneath' in the industry.

When I first entered the industry in 1991, I was still attending college. I could not control my force properly, so I always ended up hurting people for real.

R= When you first started filming, you didn't have training in acting?

V= I didn't have a performance background so I was like a puppet folowing the director's instructions: "One, two, three, run 3 steps, stop, turn, speak etc." At the time, I felt bad because people who have a martial arts background are quite confident. In my first film, I acted as a villian and Siu Fong Fong gave me some acting pointers. But I realized that in acting, you need to incorporate emotions in your performance, so I went to the film academy and enrolled in acting classes for 3 months, learning the basics.

R= Speaking of utilizing emotions in your performance, are there are lot of emotional scenes in "Tai Chi?"

V= Yes, there are a lot of scenes where I have to use my eyes to convey the proper emotions. There is a very extreme personality change for my character from the beginning to the end of the series. The focus is on the change in my character; the other focus will be on Raymond Lam Fung's story. I will have a love triangle with Melissa Ng Mei Hang and Myolie Wu Hang Yee.

R= What were some of the challenges while working on "Tai Chi?"

V= I am comfortable with the emotional scenes. But delivering a well-balanced taichi style onscreen to gain the acknowledgement of martial arts experts and attracting the interest of everyday audiences is difficult. For example, if I were to deliver exciting fights to attract the everyday audience, but neglect the true spirit and style of taichi, then that would be an ineffective performance.

TommyH
    Unregistered

Well good thing there is finally a thread on this series. From all the interviews that I read this series seems to be quite interesting. How many episodes will this series be?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyH
    Well good thing there is finally a thread on this series. From all the interviews that I read this series seems to be quite interesting. How many episodes will this series be?
    Haha. i've been waiting for Cherrie to start a thread on this series cuz she's a massive Ray fan n surprisingly she didnt.

I've no idea how many episodes there are. i guess 30 to 40??
    by the way, has Ray left TVB or what? cuz he's currently filming a China series with Alex Fong.

lol. am i the most famous fan of ray here? haha, i didn't start a thread....but here am i! hahahaha
    aw ray got sooo many injuries! ouch!
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

When will this series be aired? Next year?

Quote Originally Posted by triumph2004
    When will this series be aired? Next year?
    most probably.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    lol. am i the most famous fan of ray here? haha, i didn't start a thread....but here am i! hahahaha
    yes.u are.

haha. your heart must be in pain eh? Wait til u watch this series then.i think u need to get ready a few dozen boxes of tissue cuz Ray said he's gonna have a lot of crying scenes. I love Ray's crying scenes... with the sparkle of the tears in his eyes n his eyes seems like they're trying to convey something 2 u...(most tvb actors aren't really good criers).Aw man....i think Cherrie's influenced me

Actually I started this thread last month but harldy anyone seems to know of it:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=15712

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea_fan
    Haha. i've been waiting for Cherrie to start a thread on this series cuz she's a massive Ray fan n surprisingly she didnt.

I've no idea how many episodes there are. i guess 30 to 40??
    by the way, has Ray left TVB or what? cuz he's currently filming a China series with Alex Fong.

yeah ouch......especially the part where they stitch his leg without anesthesia......*wince* I also heard that he twisted his arm...
    Wild Obessesion With Raymond Lam<3

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket
    Actually I started this thread last month but harldy anyone seems to know of it:

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=15712
    lol...ok. now we're combined

I think Raymond will be back filming for TVB after he is done with the Taiwaneses Series. There are news that he might be in the upcoming 60 episodes TVB epic series in September too, though the cast is still not confirmed yet.

Anyways, can't wait til Tai Gik comes out. I love Rayolie so much. hehe I believe that they are/soon will be one of the new TVB golden couples...haha...love them since Survivor's Law.

wow that would be great if he's in the 60 episode movie for TVB...

oh yeah felt soooooo sad when i heard he got himself injured again! what?! he twisted his arm?! in lwolap he twisted his wrist, and now it's his arm?!
    lol chelsea, yep! i know he will be crying in this for many many times i'll definitely ready myself for his emotional scenes, brace myself for such moments and cry with him
    oh really? 60eps?! i hope he will be the main lead! yey! imagine 60eps of raymond! my raymond
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)