Thread: Another classic American 1970s/1980s sitcom: HAPPY DAYS

Default Another classic American 1970s/1980s sitcom: HAPPY DAYS

Last year, I started a thread to take a nostalgic look back at the 1970s/1980s U.S. sitcom THREE'S COMPANY. In this thread, I'll do the same for another highly successful and memorable sitcom from the same era: HAPPY DAYS.

HAPPY DAYS is one of the iconic sitcoms of all time. The story was set in an idealized version of the 1950s/early 1960s U.S., sort of like GREASE. It followed the life of the Cunningham family of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and their friends, particularly a tough, cool biker named Fonzie.

The show ran successfully for eight seasons between 1976 and 1984, and its characters became iconic. It even became the source for the later phrase, "jumping the shark," in reference to an infamous episode in which Fonzie, on waterskis, performed the stunt of jumping over a live shark.

I grew up watching this show and it was a childhood favorite of mine. Like THREE'S COMPANY, HAPPY DAYS had an uncynical, sincerely feel-good vibe that you don't see on television very much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Last year, I started a thread to take a nostalgic look back at the 1970s/1980s U.S. sitcom THREE'S COMPANY. In this thread, I'll do the same for another highly successful and memorable sitcom from the same era: HAPPY DAYS.

HAPPY DAYS is one of the iconic sitcoms of all time. The story was set in an idealized version of the 1950s/early 1960s U.S., sort of like GREASE. It followed the life of the Cunningham family of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and their friends, particularly a tough, cool biker named Fonzie.

The show ran successfully for eight seasons between 1976 and 1984, and its characters became iconic. It even became the source for the later phrase, "jumping the shark," in reference to an infamous episode in which Fonzie, on waterskis, performed the stunt of jumping over a live shark.

I grew up watching this show and it was a childhood favorite of mine. Like THREE'S COMPANY, HAPPY DAYS had an uncynical, sincerely feel-good vibe that you don't see on television very much anymore.

Although I've seen both shows they were a bit before my time.

Shows that affected my formative years probably include Mcgyver, A-Team and Perfect Strangers.

I bought the first 3 seasons of Mcgyver about two years ago, and they still provided a surprisingly good viewing (if you over look the "gigawatt lasers" of 80's).

Perfect Strangers was released on DVD a couple of month ago. Haven't decided whether I'll buy it yet or not. I normally avoid sitcoms except to kill time but I have fond memories of Perfect Strangers. Been considering Angel the complete series instead.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

This is one of the few shows during that era with an Asian so I always looked forward to seeing Mr. Miyagi.(the late Pat Morita) hahaha forgot his Happy Days' name.

Yea I loved this show. Mainly for Fonzie and his cousin(?), Chachee. They were the cool ones. Had the girls. "ahhhe" *thumbs up*

This show also played a crucial roll in teaching us minorities the All-American culture/ideal American family when we had no other source. LOL
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    This is one of the few shows during that era with an Asian so I always looked forward to seeing Mr. Miyagi.(the late Pat Morita) hahaha forgot his Happy Days' name.
    Arnold...hence the name "Arnold's" for the malt shop he owned.

This show also played a crucial roll in teaching us minorities the All-American culture/ideal American family when we had no other source. LOL
    It started my lifelong love affair with 1950s rock 'n roll music too. That was my *parents'* music, but when I was a kid, it became mine too.