Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Differences in Chinese and Vietnamese Food

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I am no longer eat the fish sauce....
    Fish sauce to Vietnamese is like ketchup to the Americans.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

It's much more important than ketchup. Fish sauce, and not just the fish sauce fish sauce that we're talking about, but other "mam" as well are very integral parts of Vietnamese dishes.

I love the smell of shrimp paste for some reason.
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I really like Vietnamese food because it's the ELOC of food: Great tasting, but few people know it (compared to Chinese food). I've been exposing Vietnamese to people whenever I have the chance.

But it's not the ELOCest food. Still fewer people have tried Cambodian, Burmese, or Laotian food. Luckily, I have friends from these countries, so I've been able to taste their wonderful, as-exotic-as-their-land dishes.
    Pho and cheap Vietnamese restaurants are is extremely popular in Montreal. Whenever I go to a Pho restaurent, I see all kinds of ethnicity, it's pretty interesting. How popular is Pho and Vietnamese restaurents in your city?

Vietnamese food tend to be a bit healthier but I like Cantonese food better. I have been to non-cantonese chinese restaurant and I don't like the way their food tastes. However, vietnamese food is cheaper. Anyway, I am no longer eat the fish sauce....
    What?!? Then you're no longer Vietnamese.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by lilviet_grl8o8 View Post
    I love the smell of shrimp paste for some reason.
    Seriously?? It's good in bun rieu, but I don't think I can handle the smell alone.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Pho and cheap Vietnamese restaurants are is extremely popular in Montreal. Whenever I go to a Pho restaurent, I see all kinds of ethnicity, it's pretty interesting. How popular is Pho and Vietnamese restaurents in your city?

What?!? Then you're no longer Vietnamese.
    I used to eat fish sauce a lot back in Viet Nam but I decided to quit like 3 years after I imigrated to Canada. I replace it with soy sauce or no sauce at all. I don't like salty food. I hate ma'm.....

Shrimp paste is good with green cốc (fruit) and green mango. I prefer green mango and shrimp paste over sugar and fish sauce.

Anyhow, as for VN and Chinese foods, though both are not my favorite types of food but if I am to choose I would choose Vietnamese food over Chinese food right away. (Chinese is something I would choose last.) There are two types of Phở (chicken and beef). Needless to say, beef phở is much better than the chicken. I still love Phở but I stopped eating it when I stopped eating beef for health reason. Cơm tấm is pretty good. So is bún riêu.

I used to eat fish sauce a lot back in Viet Nam but I decided to quit like 3 years after I imigrated to Canada. I replace it with soy sauce or no sauce at all. I don't like salty food. I hate ma'm.....
    Hehe, OMG. I'm same here sometimes. Have you tried the Vegetarian Soy Sauce? It's yummy! I like that one now, it's less salty than the Golden Boy I used to use.... Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
    Shrimp paste is good with green cốc (fruit) and green mango. I prefer green mango and shrimp paste over sugar and fish sauce.

Anyhow, as for VN and Chinese foods, though both are not my favorite types of food but if I am to choose I would choose Vietnamese food over Chinese food right away. (Chinese is something I would choose last.) There are two types of Phở (chicken and beef). Needless to say, beef phở is much better than the chicken. I still love Phở but I stopped eating it when I stopped eating beef for health reason. Cơm tấm is pretty good. So is bún riêu.
    Ohhh yess, I love Shrimp Paste with Mango.

I used to eat with Fish Sauce & Sugar, add a little Chili & It's YUMMMM!

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhotastic View Post
    Seriously?? It's good in bun rieu, but I don't think I can handle the smell alone.
    Yes I know wierd right? My cousins who's half-viet & half-flip we both always smell the jar before we put it in our bun rieu. haha.

Chinese food has far greater regional variety. You can't Vietnamese food is sos and so compared to Chinese food because Chinese food of a certain region probably shares those characteristics.

I know people from Guangxi province has a cuisine of both Chinese and Vietnamese food since it borders North Vietnam, so yes, it does happen. However, on the whole, Vietnamese food is pretty distinguishable from Chinese food.

Vietnamese food is sos and so? o_O

I don't know but I like BOTH foods haha. I know some Viet food originated maybe from China, but they changed the recipe.

Like I heard China also has a beef soup, KIND of like PHO.