Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Differences in Chinese and Vietnamese Food

Default Differences in Chinese and Vietnamese Food

Vietnamese Food has a lot of influences from Chinese, French and Mongolian foods, and I think the other country that receives a lot of influences from other countries in their food is the United States. The food here is a mixture of Italian, French, and etc its hard to pinpoint what's completely American food without the dish having to trace its roots come from a European dish or so.

I think a lot of people who aren't familiar with Asian food tend to confuse different Asian countries' cuisine together like Chinese and Vietnamese dishes. For most of you who are familiar with Chinese and Vietnamese dishes, what do you think differs between two ethnic cuisines? Taste? Flavor? Cooking?

Let's take something simple, how about an Eggroll? How is the Chinese version different from the Vietnamese version?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I would say Vietnamese cuisine use more fish sauces, more fish based, and more fresh herbs. More fresh veggies and all.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Chinese is more greasy/oily from my experience. Always got to watch what I eat or heart burn.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Differences? Well...Chinese food tastes good.

I'm kidding!
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Vietnamese offers more soup-based delicacies.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

One difference that I can think of is Vietnamese is a mixture of Chinese food and French (thus giving it a style of its own), whereas Chinese food is made of many different styles; ie Szechuan, Shanghainese, Cantonese, etc. Definitely, more variety.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Chinese is more greasy/oily from my experience. Always got to watch what I eat or heart burn.

Well, I don't think Viet food has as much fat and grease because it is a hot country. You don't really need that much grease for warmness

wow, I never thot of it that way.
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

I generally find Chinese food comparatively richer due to the type of oil/fat used, and the types of food that the Chinese consider "delicacies". It also tends to be more varied due to the expanse of the country. In places with long histories of affluence and/or nobility, a lot of thought and effort goes into the naming and presentation of the food.

On the other hand, I feel that Vietnamese food is more rustic, with robust flavours that come from a particular combination of herbs, spices and textures that are seldom used in Chinese cooking (e.g. basil, raw onions, chillies and beansprouts in pho).

Since I enjoy more pungent flavours, I'd be pleased with a bowl of beef pho any day over a bowl of Shanghainese la-mian (hand-pulled noodles)!
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

seeing how chinese cooking has an extremely wide range, it's rather hard to pinpoint the exact differences (aside from the french influences in vietnamese food). for example, food from say, the shandong province, will contrast much more greatly with vietnamese food than say food from the Yunnan province...

of course, i won't say i'm extremely familiar with vietnamese cuisine either.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 03-30-08 at 02:53 AM.

Vietnamese food are more healthy. Chinese food have more oil etc.

Quote Originally Posted by idolove View Post
    I wouldn't say Chinese food is all greasy.. the types of Chinese Cuisine is so vast.. can't generalized that all used oil

Vietnamese food uses lots of herbs and fermented fish/shrimp paste and fish sauce. Depending on the region, the main staple food is rice and some type of veggie. Meat is saltier since it costs more. The vietnamese food that we are use to is the "higher end type." If you ate pho in Vietnam, it is bland since beef cost a lot more than in the US.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

vietnamnese food? fish sauce. they use it in everything
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Vietnamese Food has a lot of influences from Chinese, French and Mongolian foods, and I think the other country that receives a lot of influences from other countries in their food is the United States. The food here is a mixture of Italian, French, and etc its hard to pinpoint what's completely American food without the dish having to trace its roots come from a European dish or so.

I think a lot of people who aren't familiar with Asian food tend to confuse different Asian countries' cuisine together like Chinese and Vietnamese dishes. For most of you who are familiar with Chinese and Vietnamese dishes, what do you think differs between two ethnic cuisines? Taste? Flavor? Cooking?

Let's take something simple, how about an Eggroll? How is the Chinese version different from the Vietnamese version?
    Chinese and Vietnamese dishes are pretty different. I've been told by my boss, who's Taiwanese, that Taiwanese food is more like that of Vietnamese food than mainland Chinese food. Not sure how true this is.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Vietnamese offers more soup-based delicacies.
    Yeap, Vietnamese people love eating soup-based dishes. There's a huge variety: pho (the super overrated dish that everyone knows) and its ten million variations, bun bo Hue, bun rieu, bun mam, bun moc, banh canh, mi Quang, canh bun, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    I generally find Chinese food comparatively richer due to the type of oil/fat used, and the types of food that the Chinese consider "delicacies". It also tends to be more varied due to the expanse of the country. In places with long histories of affluence and/or nobility, a lot of thought and effort goes into the naming and presentation of the food.

On the other hand, I feel that Vietnamese food is more rustic, with robust flavours that come from a particular combination of herbs, spices and textures that are seldom used in Chinese cooking (e.g. basil, raw onions, chillies and beansprouts in pho).

Since I enjoy more pungent flavours, I'd be pleased with a bowl of beef pho any day over a bowl of Shanghainese la-mian (hand-pulled noodles)!
    You need to check out other dishes besides pho, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by idolove View Post
    I don't think Chinese food is necessarily more healthier than Vietnamese food. I mean, with all the MSG that Vietnamese people dump into their foods, I wouldn't be too sure.....

Chinese food is obviously very very diverse because there are so many different regions with different climates and topography. But for such a small country, Vietnamese food is rather diverse. I'll be doing a post to try and summarize Vietnamese dishes....so be warned.

Dishes are usually divided into the three regions where they come from: Northern, Southern, and Central. Generally speaking, dishes from the north are saltier, with a lot being boiled and caramelized, for lack of a better word (and usually not with a lot of sugar, but mostly fish sauce and salt). Central dishes are usually spicy. Southern dishes usually fall on the sweet side more and has the most variety of dishes, simply because South Vietnam is more plentiful and fertile with more rivers, such as the Mekong, running through it. Overall, there is not a lot of oil or meat used (because it was expensive). Like what some people have mentioned above, Vietnamese dishes use a lot of herbs, and specific ones go with specific dishes. I remember having to go to the market with my dad because he would always buy the wrong ones. Having the wrong herb could completely kill a dish, believe it or not.

Like I mentioned before, Vietnamese in general are very fond of soup-based dishes and rolls such as bo bia, bo nhung dam, goi cuon, etc. etc. Anything can be stuffed into some herbs and then rolled with a thin rice-wrapper, then dipped into a sauce (usually sweet fish sauce).

Fish sauce. Yes, this is definitely an integral part of Vietnamese food culture. If you can't eat fish sauce, you'll be missing out on a lot of dishes. Besides the regular fish sauce that everyone knows of, there's also shrimp paste and many different types of fish paste. I know way too many Vietnamese Americans who can't eat these, and it's really such a waste. Oh well, more for me.

After saying all that, I love Chinese and Vietnamese food equally. Anything that tastes good gets my love.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    variety: pho (the super overrated dish that everyone knows)
    Hey!! I resent that remark!! It's not overrated it's just good for the soul. Who wouldn't want to sit down to a nice bowl of pho?
    I know I couldn't resist, I've been eating pho ever since I was in my mama's womb.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhotastic View Post
    Hey!! I resent that remark!! It's not overrated it's just good for the soul. Who wouldn't want to sit down to a nice bowl of pho?
    I know I couldn't resist, I've been eating pho ever since I was in my mama's womb.
    How is the word 'pho' pronounced? I was in a local [very small compared to the ones in Calgary] Asian 'supermarket' and I asked if they had one of my favorite 'just add hot water' soups 'Pho Ga'. The store is owned by a Vietnamese family and the wife got one of those funny looks when I asked about it. My pronunciation was obviously waaaay off.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
    How is the word 'pho' pronounced? I was in a local [very small compared to the ones in Calgary] Asian 'supermarket' and I asked if they had one of my favorite 'just add hot water' soups 'Pho Ga'. The store is owned by a Vietnamese family and the wife got one of those funny looks when I asked about it. My pronunciation was obviously waaaay off.
    LOL funny story. It's pronounce "fuh" a soft P. Now you could go back to the store and ask her the right way...
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

While genuine homemade pho is indeed good for the soul, I still think it's overrated because that's all people ever think of when they think of Vietnamese food. We have such a great variety, and personally I love banh canh and bun mam much more than pho.

LOL funny story. It's pronounce "fuh" a soft P. Now you could go back to the store and ask her the right way...
    Thanks. My ears may be off but I thought the lady said 'far' when she asked her husband to check.
    He brought back four cartons of different Vietnamese and Thai 'just add water' dishes and I bought two of each. No Pho Ga but Pho Bo.