Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've decided to... (click to find out what I've decided)

Default I've decided to... (click to find out what I've decided)

I've decided....

it's time to switch the tires of my car.

This topic is therefore about the lovable academic subject of tires.

What I would like to know is, what's a good tire that strikes a balance between reliability and cost? I want something that's cost effective and reliable. Please suggest. Thank you.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

err, I am no expert but let me add some points;

I think you need to let people know, what car you drive, what are the specs of your tyres; something like 205 60R 16 blah blah. Also, it will help if you state whether you prefer comfort or handling.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Quote Originally Posted by shen diao xia View Post
    err, I am no expert but let me add some points;

I think you need to let people know, what car you drive, what are the specs of your tyres; something like 205 60R 16 blah blah. Also, it will help if you state whether you prefer comfort or handling.
    Yeh, we also need to know where you live (lots of rain?, snow?, ice? good weather all year round?)

After sliding around all winter on my worn out Michelins, I put four new Bridgestone Insignia SE200's on my van two weeks ago. I'm very pleased with them so far but we've only had a few light snowfalls since. I can say they are pretty good on ice though - we're into the thawing days and freezing nights, so there's lots of frozen patches in the mornings. I picked a big ice patch, slammed the brakes at about 50kph and the anti-locks didn't kick in at all.

$105CDN each for P205/70R15 installed and balanced, including labour, taxes, recycling fee, etc. (don't forget to ask about all the extra charges). I didn't shop around so I'd expect they could be found for less.

Reviews are mixed: http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews...e_reviews.html
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by john-e View Post
    After sliding around all winter on my worn out Michelins, I put four new Bridgestone Insignia SE200's on my van two weeks ago. I'm very pleased with them so far but we've only had a few light snowfalls since. I can say they are pretty good on ice though - we're into the thawing days and freezing nights, so there's lots of frozen patches in the mornings. I picked a big ice patch, slammed the brakes at about 50kph and the anti-locks didn't kick in at all.

$105CDN each for P205/70R15 installed and balanced, including labour, taxes, recycling fee, etc. (don't forget to ask about all the extra charges). I didn't shop around so I'd expect they could be found for less.

Reviews are mixed: http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews...e_reviews.html
    you drive a van? by choice?
    heeheehee i used to drive a toyota corolla and it was okay but was pretty slippery in the winter time. now i drive a toyota rav4. just bought it a few days ago and we got hit with snow+ice+rain all in the same day and it froze overnight. i can truly say that my car ran very nice. i didn't slip anywhere at all. i don't know what my tires are but they're pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    you drive a van? by choice?
    heeheehee i used to drive a toyota corolla and it was okay but was pretty slippery in the winter time. now i drive a toyota rav4. just bought it a few days ago and we got hit with snow+ice+rain all in the same day and it froze overnight. i can truly say that my car ran very nice. i didn't slip anywhere at all. i don't know what my tires are but they're pretty good.
    Yeah, I drive a mini-van. Perfect vehicle for a swingin' bachelor like myself . I suppose it's by choice and the price helped me choose - it was free!

Hey GuGu, I thought you weren't going to tell what kind of car you got. Rav4's come factory-equipped with Bridgestone Dueler or Yokohama Geolandar tires.
    john-e

Sixty years ago I knew nothing; now I know nothing; education is a progressive discovery of your own ignorance. - Will Durant

Yeah, I drive a mini-van. Perfect vehicle for a swingin' bachelor like myself . I suppose it's by choice and the price helped me choose - it was free!
    free? from who?

Hey GuGu, I thought you weren't going to tell what kind of car you got. Rav4's come factory-equipped with Bridgestone Dueler or Yokohama Geolandar tires.
    oops i forgot! please don't tell my stalkers what kind of car i drive.
    whatever kind it is, it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    free? from who?
    My folks. They bought a new van and gave me their old one for my birthday.
    john-e

Don't believe GuGu.
    Next week she'll be driving a Mazda.
    And the week after that: a Maserati.

Quote Originally Posted by shen diao xia View Post
    I think you need to let people know, what car you drive
    Toyota Corolla 2001

what are the specs of your tyres; something like 205 60R 16 blah blah.
    I have absolutely NO idea what you just said

Also, it will help if you state whether you prefer comfort or handling.
    Ah, comfort is preferred.
    And above all, reliability. I.E. it will last for at least 5 years, assuming I drive well of course.

Yeh, we also need to know where you live (lots of rain?, snow?, ice? good weather all year round?)
    For now, I live in the Midwest. The winter runs for about half of the year, so there is a lot of snow. Not much rain. I would prefer ONE TIRE that can be used for both summer and winter conditions.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Don't believe GuGu.
    Next week she'll be driving a Mazda.
    And the week after that: a Maserati.
    hahahhahaa you drive a corolla 2001? i had the 2004! it was very nice and since it was my first car i loved it. when i traded it in for a new car i was very sad. took me a few weeks to get used to my new 2007 yaris. and right when i was getting used to my yaris i went and got a RAV4. dude trust me if you have snow in your state you want a RAV4. I suggest you go get yourself a RAV4. oh, i almost got the new 2008/9 corolla! it got bigger and the price went up a little. but damn the one i saw in the show room was so nice. it had the body kit and the spoiler and everything. too bad it doesn't do so well in winters.

@john-e! you're so good! my tires are yokohama!

Wow didn't know a lot of people in here drive corollas. I had a 1995 corolla, I had no idea what kind of tires I had, cuz i used to lived in the midwest and driving in the snow is a b. So my recommedation is not try drive at all when there's snow on the road...just take the bus or something....
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

I have absolutely NO idea what you just said .
    PJ, check your owner's manual to find the tire size. Or open the driver's door and see if there's a sticker (I think it's yellow) near the latch - it should have your tire size. If not, this site is good for finding what size tires you need. It's good for wipers, lights and other stuff too. Just select your make and model and click on what you're looking for.

http://www.tirerack.com/
    john-e

Now, PJ, your subject is at the practical part of tires.

I suggest, we also talk about cars itself. (You know the cars you like tells your personality, too). I've always been the fan of Volks Wagen. Especially, the Beetle series. But for affordablility, I think I'll choose this:

click to show/hide spoilers
    http://tanakatire.web.infoseek.co.jp/505_5/MINICooperConvertible_1.jpg

or this, it has a door for a boot:

http://www.muenster.de/~shea/car/Dream/Mini_Cooper_S.jpg

And, this only appear in my dreams:

http://autoreview.belproject.com/media/1/20060303-ferrari-599-gtb-fiorano-inside.jpg
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

what are the specs of your tyres; something like 205 60R 16 blah blah.

I have absolutely NO idea what you just said

These are the specs of your tyres. 205 refers to the width of the tyres in millimeters, 60 is the height of the tyres expressed as a % of the width, meaning, the height is 60% of 205mm. And finally, 16 is the diameter of the rims in inches.

Ah, comfort is preferred.
    And above all, reliability. I.E. it will last for at least 5 years, assuming I drive well of course.
    In general, there is a trade off between comfort and durability. "Comfortable" tyres are made from a softer compound, thus they do not last as long as harder tyres.

For now, I live in the Midwest. The winter runs for about half of the year, so there is a lot of snow. Not much rain. I would prefer ONE TIRE that can be used for both summer and winter conditions

The closest to snow from where I live will be sand. It's summer all year round, and its super hot summers at that. So, I can't comment much but I guess john-e will be able to help. He seems to know what he is talking about.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I suggest, we also talk about cars itself. (You know the cars you like tells your personality, too).
    Sure, let's talk about cars.

My favorite category of automobiles is exotic/concept sports/racing cars. Some of the cars I like are:
    (what does that say about me?)

Bugatti EB110
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.diseno-art.com/images/bugatti_EB110_GT.jpg')

Italdesign Scighera
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.autosrapidos.com/superautos/i/italdesign-scighera01.jpg')

Heuliez Pregunta
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/heuliez/heu3.jpg')

Ford GT-90
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.speedytoys.com/images/31827w.jpg')

Nissan R390
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.geocities.com/bgmcansh/supercars/34nissanr3901998.jpg')

Mercedes Vision/McLaren SLR
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.gwa.de/images/BestOfPA/2005/mercedes_slr.jpg')

Pagini Zonda
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://media.meta.ua/files/pic/0/3/56/Q4dWLOmCnQ.jpg')

Maserati
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2007/geneva/coverage/images/08_Maserati_Grantourismo_fagnle_mfr_430.jpg')

Maserati
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2007/geneva/coverage/images/08_Maserati_Grantourismo_fagnle_mfr_430.jpg')
    Now that's a coincidence, I saw one of these today parked outside a building I was at. Was kind of surprised when I saw Maserati on the back. My brother, a real car-nut, said it sells for around $250k.

Getting back to your car. If you want a smooth ride, your suspension affects that more than your tires.
    john-e

Holy shite, some sexy cars right here....

Hello. Back to tires!

PJ, check your owner's manual to find the tire size. Or open the driver's door and see if there's a sticker (I think it's yellow) near the latch - it should have your tire size. If not, this site is good for finding what size tires you need. It's good for wipers, lights and other stuff too. Just select your make and model and click on what you're looking for.

http://www.tirerack.com/
    According to TireRack, there are 2 possible specs for my vehicle: 175 or 185. My last tire is 175, but I would like to know if I can switch to 185 if I wanted to?

Hello. Back to tires!

According to TireRack, there are 2 possible specs for my vehicle: 175 or 185. My last tire is 175, but I would like to know if I can switch to 185 if I wanted to?
    yes, it'll fit, but the problem is sometimes it'll rub on your side if you turn too hard since the tires are now bigger.... My current tire are also bigger than the stock one and once in a while it rubs

one of these days I'll slap those dam swing up door on my 94 camry.
    Last edited by warlock110; 10-23-08 at 10:05 PM.