Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Huashan - LOCH/ROCH to SPW to SSWRB
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Huashan - LOCH/ROCH to SPW to SSWRB

  1. #1
    Senior Member Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,214

    Default Huashan - LOCH/ROCH to SPW to SSWRB

    Huashan [华山] plays a very important role in Jin Yong stories. It was featured in LOCH, ROCH, SPW, SSWRB (and possibly other stories as well!).

    So...

    Is the Huashan Sword Contest's [华山论剑] Huashan the same Huashan as the Huashan Linghu Chong grew up on?

    Is the one Linghu Chong grew up on also the one Yuan Chengzhi grew up on?

    Is the Huashan Sect [华山派] in SPW the same as the one in SSWRB?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Huashan [华山] plays a very important role in Jin Yong stories. It was featured in LOCH, ROCH, SPW, SSWRB (and possibly other stories as well!).

    So...

    Is the Huashan Sword Contest's [华山论剑] Huashan the same Huashan as the Huashan Linghu Chong grew up on?

    Is the one Linghu Chong grew up on also the one Yuan Chengzhi grew up on?

    Is the Huashan Sect [华山派] in SPW the same as the one in SSWRB?
    The Huashan of LOCH/ROCH is the same Huashan of SPW, and presumably the same Huashan of everything else. In chapter 40 of ROCH, Yang Guo takes the party on a tour of Huashan, pointing out the Jade Maiden peak and the hand table. In chapter 39 of SPW, Linghu Chong takes Ren Yingying on a tour of Huashan, pointing out the Jade Maiden peak and the hand table where he and Yue Lingshan used to play.

    Historically, the Huashan sect was supposed to have been founded by Hao Datong, one of the 7 disciples of Wang Chongyang.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    ...
    Historically, the Huashan sect was supposed to have been founded by Hao Datong, one of the 7 disciples of Wang Chongyang.
    Wow, what a revelation(!), Hao Datong in ROCH, with his measly skills, founded a sect! Then, I suppose most of the original Huashan sword art should comes from Quanzhen sect. And to think that some top skills are missing in Huashan during SPW, it sures lower down SPW elites ranking across LOCH, ROCH.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Is the one Linghu Chong grew up on also the one Yuan Chengzhi grew up on?
    Absolutely. Imagine if LHC left Huashan sect the DG9S, life would be very different for YCZ and China as well.

    Is the Huashan Sect [华山派] in SPW the same as the one in SSWRB?
    Yes. LHC is about 1 or 2 generation before YCZ.

  5. #5
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    Wow, what a revelation(!), Hao Datong in ROCH, with his measly skills, founded a sect! Then, I suppose most of the original Huashan sword art should comes from Quanzhen sect. And to think that some top skills are missing in Huashan during SPW, it sures lower down SPW elites ranking across LOCH, ROCH.
    There's some lack of clarity about whether Gok Dai Tung's "Mt. Hua Sect" is the same one that was featured prominently in SPW. The SPW Mt. Hua Sect seems to be much older, and probably existed long before the LOCH era. I think that Gok Dai Tung's "Mt Hua Sect," on the other hand, was just a school of Taoist philosophy and didn't practice or teach the martial arts.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    There's some lack of clarity about whether Gok Dai Tung's "Mt. Hua Sect" is the same one that was featured prominently in SPW. The SPW Mt. Hua Sect seems to be much older, and probably existed long before the LOCH era. I think that Gok Dai Tung's "Mt Hua Sect," on the other hand, was just a school of Taoist philosophy and didn't practice or teach the martial arts.
    i dont know about how old or when the Huashan sect in jin yong universe established.
    historically, its true that Hao Datong of Quanzhen sect created Huashan sect, but in Jin Yong's story , that's entirely different case.
    Huashan sect in history is Taoism , while in SPW, they are confucianism .
    secondly, the Founder of Huashan sect , based on sword stained with royal blood, had surname Feng, not Hao (i believe he is not feng qingyang, just a coincidence share a same surname, dont believe the fake story made by some chinese community).
    even though Jin Yong often use historical stories, but not all are really based on the real history, and some were modified by jin yong (for example the age of Zheng keshuang in DOMD).

    so the huashan sect in JY universe is different than real-life huashan sect, and yes the real life huashan sect does not teach martial arts too.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Originally Posted by shortsight
    Wow, what a revelation(!), Hao Datong in ROCH, with his measly skills, founded a sect! Then, I suppose most of the original Huashan sword art should comes from Quanzhen sect. And to think that some top skills are missing in Huashan during SPW, it sures lower down SPW elites ranking across LOCH, ROCH.



    what pannonian said was "historically" , in all Jin Yong's novels , there are no indication that Hao Datong established huashan sect, please dont mix both of these.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Absolutely. Imagine if LHC left Huashan sect the DG9S, life would be very different for YCZ and China as well.



    Yes. LHC is about 1 or 2 generation before YCZ.
    we dont know exactly the year of SPW's event , we only know that SPW is in Ming Dynasty based on some clues, how can you know LHC is about 1 or 2 gen before YCZ?
    1 gen before YCZ means LHC is the teacher of YCZ? actually the teacher of YCZ is Mu Renqing.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    There's some lack of clarity about whether Gok Dai Tung's "Mt. Hua Sect" is the same one that was featured prominently in SPW. The SPW Mt. Hua Sect seems to be much older, and probably existed long before the LOCH era. I think that Gok Dai Tung's "Mt Hua Sect," on the other hand, was just a school of Taoist philosophy and didn't practice or teach the martial arts.
    If the sect existed before loch, then were they present during the mt hua tournament in loch and we're they the organisers of the tournament?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,920

    Default

    Hua shan as the mountain is always there. And hua shan sect could be named after the mountain. Of course, the question is who name the mountain as hua shan.

Similar Threads

  1. LOCH, ROCH or HSDS
    By 0-0-0 in forum Mainland China TV Series
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 07-08-19, 10:53 PM
  2. Huashan Tournament, SPW style
    By PJ in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-28-08, 05:36 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-06, 05:08 AM
  4. Replies: 94
    Last Post: 09-20-05, 01:34 AM
  5. The Ironies of LOCH/ROCH
    By Temujin in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07-22-04, 09:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •