Thread: Did Fan 1 Yung and Dat Yee Ba know that the Divine Condor Hero was Yeung Gor?

Default Did Fan 1 Yung and Dat Yee Ba know that the Divine Condor Hero was Yeung Gor?

Sixteen years after the disappearance of Little Dragon Girl, Jin Yong brought readers back into the narrative of ROCH not by immediately reintroducing familiar, established characters, but by introducing a whole slew of new characters, including the Ghosts of San Sai and the Shih Brothers. For a while, one could almost think that ROCH had ended and this was a whole new wuxia story by Jin Yong.

But among all the strange new characters was a more familiar name and face - Fan 1 Yung, last seen as one of Gung Sheun Tze's main lackeys at Passionless Valley, now the leader (or so it seemed) of the Ghosts of San Sai.

The Ghosts of San Sai had their run-ins with the Divine Condor Hero, but ultimately befriended him. During this time, the Divine Condor Hero always wore a mask in public. While he didn't go to Batman/Spider-Man/Superman lengths to protect his real identity, he didn't advertise the fact that his real name was Yeung Gor either.

So did Fan 1 Yung have a clue that this Divine Condor Hero was the same Yeung Gor who, sixteen years earlier, had caused a huge ruckus at Water Fairy Manor in Passionless Valley, including famously snipping Fan's very long goatee with a pair of giant scissors?

Also, did Dat Yee Ba know it was his "eldest senior martial brother" who had sent him to Seung Yeung to kill Fok Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    ... During this time, the Divine Condor Hero always wore a mask in public. While he didn't go to Batman/Spider-Man/Superman lengths to protect his real identity, he didn't advertise the fact that his real name was Yeung Gor either.

So did Fan 1 Yung have a clue that this Divine Condor Hero was the same Yeung Gor who, sixteen years earlier, had caused a huge ruckus at Water Fairy Manor in Passionless Valley, including famously snipping Fan's very long goatee with a pair of giant scissors?

I think with YG wearing a mask, and Fan Yiweng previous knowledge of YG was when he still has both of his arms intact, Fan Yiweng most likely did not know the condor hero is the same YG he knew. Even Guo Jing/Huang Rong never thought condor hero is YG initially. Having lost one arm and wearing a mask, it is a much better camouflage than Clark Kent's mere spectacle and wearing the underwear outisde in, which IMO, is the dumbest way to conceal his real identity!

Those 16 years of YG sound very interesting. I wish JY had focused on what happened during that period instead of spending several chapters on that boring Loveless Valley segment.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    I think with YG wearing a mask, and Fan Yiweng previous knowledge of YG was when he still has both of his arms intact, Fan Yiweng most likely did not know the condor hero is the same YG he knew. Even Guo Jing/Huang Rong never thought condor hero is YG initially. Having lost one arm and wearing a mask, it is a much better camouflage than Clark Kent's mere spectacle and wearing the underwear outisde in, which IMO, is the dumbest way to conceal his real identity!
    I'm not sure. If I see a bloke wearing Superman's costume, I'm not going to think, that's Clark Kent and he's wearing a superhero costume. I'm going to think, that's a bloke wearing his underwear on the outside.