Thread: If you had a Westerner friend...

Default If you had a Westerner friend...

Okay, let's say you have a Westerner friend, and you're trying to introduce him to wuxia.

You can only pick one series to let him watch. Which series will you choose?

Keep in mind that you're trying to leave a good impression of Wuxia on him. If the series suck then he would start to hate wuxia.

For me, I would pick Sword Stained With Royal Blood 2007. That series has an interesting storyline, nice choreography, nice acting, nice sceneries, and much more. The most important part about it is that the fighting is fast. I wouldn't pick a show from the 80's for him to watch because he'll just get bored from the slow pace (some of the shows anyways).

mm, depends. I was watching HSDS '86 with a Westerner friend and he was wowed by the choreography--maybe he wasn't exposed that much to martial arts action movies.

With someone exposed to martial arts flicks but doesn't know martial arts (so there's no risk they can take apart the choreography and laugh at it), SSWRB '07, DGSD '03, or SPW '01 might be good choices for the "wow" factor.

But if they
    • are easily impressed by martial arts OR (paradoxically) are exposed to the martial arts in such a way that they enjoy intricate choreography,
    • don't mind the '80s,
    • aren't *that* familiar with Chinese history but would like to learn some,
    • like to have plot/character/historical context really, really fleshed out, and
    • like Andy Lau or Tony Leung ,
    I might suggest ROCH '83, DOMD '86, or HSDS '86, depending on availability. Sometimes I get the feeling that the more recent series know the audience is familiar with the plot, so at times I think they zip through a bit on plot and history; the '80s series seem to go slower on that. Not that I mind, but for someone who's not so familiar with history but wants to learn it, a slower introduction might be best...

I don't know, these are just my impressions. I might change my reasons later, but I think the suggestions would still be the same.

Why are you asking--are you planning on showing something to a Western or a non-Chinese friend?
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

It was really annoying to hear the caucasians laughing when I watched Crouching Tiger in the theatre. So I would definitely pick something that is more gritty and realstic. For TV series, I'm not sure as I rarely watch Asian TV. For films, my pick is the original One Armed Swordsman with Wang Yu. It's an amazing film that has much more depth than can be expected from a film of that genre.
    Last edited by Wu Wudi; 04-07-08 at 12:49 AM.

For a semi-Wuxia'ish movie (it has some Wuxia themes at least, of brotherhood, of martial arts, etc. etc., if not 'schools' and what not), I would actually go with 'Tou Ming Zhuang', 'The Warlords'. I'd say that would be a good introduction.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    For a semi-Wuxia'ish movie (it has some Wuxia themes at least, of brotherhood, of martial arts, etc. etc., if not 'schools' and what not), I would actually go with 'Tou Ming Zhuang', 'The Warlords'. I'd say that would be a good introduction.
    oh... I was concerned about watching Warlords b/c of Kozo's review at LoveHKfilm. He's generally on target.

But if we're doing movies, there's the classic A Touch of Zen, which went all the way to Cannes, or Come Drink With Me. They're classics which aged well, and in particular with Western audiences (I mean... it's the Cannes)...
    Last edited by dewyloony123; 04-07-08 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post
    It was really annoying to hear the caucasians laughing when I watched Crouching Tiger in the theatre.
    To close-minded people, don't even bother to introduce wuxia...

Quote Originally Posted by dewyloony123 View Post
    To close-minded people, don't even bother to introduce wuxia...
    I agree. if they feel it is funny, they should have problems accepting Marvel/DC comics too. to enjoy fiction, we have to buy the idea of fantasy in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by shortsight View Post
    I agree. if they feel it is funny, they should have problems accepting Marvel/DC comics too. to enjoy fiction, we have to buy the idea of fantasy in the first place.
    I think for Westerners, the hurdle they face is thinking of martial arts as something more than a bunch of fancy fighting tricks. To them, it's all about fancy footwork and hand chops that are good in bar fights and for handling pickpockets and schoolyard bullies, but not a mystical practice that enables people to perform superhuman feats. They've actually been exposed to this in STAR WARS, but few of them realize that Lucas took the ideas from wuxia.

I would start with HSDS 2002 or DGSD 2003... But i still doubt they will get it.

A friend used the excuse that Wuxia is funny because it's supposed to be real, unlike something like Star Wars or Spiderman, etc, which is obviously fictional. But what about stuff like Rambo? No one thinks it's silly that a man can take down a whole army by himself?

Personally, I believe that people, especially Americans, should learn to be more culturally sensitive. It's too easy to dismiss something from a different country without realizing that it's not so different from things in your own culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I personal find "The Warlords" more of an historical film than wuxia. It really won't be a good headstart for any westerners who wants to start reading/watching wuxia - they won't be able to link any wuxia/jianghu thing to "The Warlords".

Westerners are actually quite impressed by Chinese martial arts (not wuxia though), albeit through Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan or Donnie Yen films.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Okay, let's say you have a Westerner friend, and you're trying to introduce him to wuxia.

You can only pick one series to let him watch. Which series will you choose?

Keep in mind that you're trying to leave a good impression of Wuxia on him. If the series suck then he would start to hate wuxia.
    It would pretty much depend on how well I know this person, and what his likes/dislikes/biases are when it comes to the range and breadth of topics and scenarios that wuxia covers. For this one particular Westerner friend (whom this thread has caused me to think about), I would choose LOCH the story (novel). As for the adaptation, I would choose the 2003 adaptation with Li Yapeng and Zhou Xun. It follows the novel quite decently and does not feel too dated where costuming is concerned. In fact, critics have complained about some costumes being too contemporary but I think the series and its story will go down well with my friend.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Personally, I believe that people, especially Americans, should learn to be more culturally sensitive. It's too easy to dismiss something from a different country without realizing that it's not so different from things in your own culture.
    Aw c'mon, to be fair... I've gotten grief from people of other backgrounds, too. My most vivid memory is of a "cosmopolitan" European who asked me what I thought about Tibet, why I spoke such good English if I was Chinese, and which province of China I was from. -_-

Some people will always be ignorant and provincial no matter what their background and upbringing. In fact, the worst are those who have the most cultural exposure when they think they're experts of your culture. They're more provincial sometimes than these kids from tiny Midwestern towns, who acknowledge they don't have much cultural exposure and would be willing to learn. At least that's in my personal experience; I am trying not to stereotype.

(btw to deal with close-minded Westerners: I recommend www.stuffwhitepeoplelike.com Describes 99% of the whites I know.)
    Last edited by dewyloony123; 04-07-08 at 12:59 PM.

I wouldn't consider any of the tv series. I'm worried just listening to the first twenty seconds of LOCH '84 opening theme will scare my friend off. I would need something more relatable like turning the novel into an American adaption. For example, revolving the story mostly around Hong Qigong as a wandering vigilante being hunted by this white emo guy who goes by the name, "Toxic", aka Ouyang Feng. Lowering the Greats' age into twenty somethings, except for Wang Chongyang who will be slightly older. Of course, all the classic elements will be there such as sword fighting and romance (There will be a three way love triangle with Gwok Jing, Huang Rong, and Hong Qigong.) And this will all take place in the modern world.

Or... I could make him watch The Bride with White Hair.

I had two guys watching a few episodes of LOCH 2003 with me. They didn't really have a problem accepting it, but thought that the narrative was rather confusing. I don't blame them, I love LOCH 2003 to death but for someone who's new to it there's an awful lot of characters in the beginning. Looking back I probably should have started with Sword Stained With Royal Blood 2007, it's not as good as LOCH 2003 but easier to follow.

If it was a series, I'd probably choose one of the Gu Long adaptations. . .it's the mystery and complexity of the plot that would probably keep them glued.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

The best would be A Step To The Past.

tell him to learn Chinese, seriously

I hate westerners who study Chinese history with western perspectives
    在下日月神教陸教主是也

What about Ashes of Time, which I've heard so much about but not watched personally?

(By the way this is the first time I'm posting in a year or so, I think - it feels great to be back.)