Thread: Someone criticizes Jin Yong!

Default Someone criticizes Jin Yong!

I was bored so I typed 金庸 in YouTube and just happen to come upon a video of someone criticizing Jin Yong!

My Mandarin sucks so I couldn't understand it fully. However, I could hear him making fun of Hua Shan Lun Jian, etc.

What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMFx79mUL3A

Wow, just... wow. Especially the 'da dao jin yong' at the end...
    What is this guy's problem? He stresses over and over that wuxia lacks veracity, but what is his argument? Should we all be confined to reading depressing real life events and actualities? So, according to him, we are 'wasting time' and 'lame' because we read wuxia.
    LOL, and what beautiful language as well.
    ~
    .shu chang.
    Leanna, <3

You notice how he says "Jin Yong couldn't do anything he write about" at the beginning?

What the fck? That's the point of it being FICTION! If we're to watch and read things that could happen in real life then I would rather die. Well...not really die, but my life will be so boring.

I feel like slapping this guy until his whole face swells up. And did those other guys agree with him?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman
    I was bored so I typed 金庸 in YouTube and just happen to come upon a video of someone criticizing Jin Yong!
    Thanks for posting that, but is it really a big deal if someone criticises Jinyong? People have been doing it for decades. His work is far from perfect.

However, Li Ao perhaps ought to have read JY's works, and the ad hominem nature of his tirade is a little below the belt.

Oh no, some dude on Youtube with too much spare time makes a video rant bagging our favourite author! Blasphemer! Let's make a thread on Spcnet!
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Oh no, some dude on Youtube with too much spare time makes a video rant bagging our favourite author! Blasphemer! Let's make a thread on Spcnet!

Okay, fine! I might have overreacted just a little bit. But c'mon, this Li Ao over here is basically degrading the WHOLE wuxia genre. Absolutely no respect for the genre.

Hey, he even wrote a book about a mother and a daughter falling in love with the same man (according to Wikipedia), so does that mean he has a mother and a daughter falling for him? Very doubtful. This Li Ao over here is full of bullcrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    He's not just some Youtube dude. I've see him many times on the Taiwanese channel and news. I think he's a Taiwanese senator.

I hope someone can translate what he was saying because I couldn't understand his accent completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post
    He's not just some Youtube dude. I've see him many times on the Taiwanese channel and news. I think he's a Taiwanese senator.

I hope someone can translate what he was saying because I couldn't understand his accent completely.
    If he's a Taiwanese senator then boo him. He has such a high status in society yet he still disrespects others. He even have to resort to impolite language and insulting. Taiwan needs to choose better senators.

Hahaha, "people can't fly, everyone got deceived". I think he pretty much bashed the entire fiction genre because he talks about JY novels being fake. Also criticized all readers of JY as wasting time (but I think it expends to all fiction readers).

Da dao jin yong, rofl, like JY is the Communist party ;0
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

Li Ao is a famous loudmouth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Ao
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Wudi View Post

So? He doesn't like wuxia. We all get it, right? Is there anything else Jin Yong needs to prove in the literature world with his work being so popular with many generations of Asians (starting from my grandparents' generation 50 years ago)? Some guy ranting on YouTube, on TV or on any friggin' media, means sweet f'ck all.

Quote Originally Posted by K2Grey
    If he's a Taiwanese senator then boo him. He has such a high status in society yet he still disrespects others. He even have to resort to impolite language and insulting. Taiwan needs to choose better senators.
    That's the norm for Taiwanese senators. They like punching and swearing at each other.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I don't think Jin Yong is above criticism, however popular he is among wuxia readers. But, this guy is critisizing practically all fiction writers. One of his points is that JY real person does not embody the value system he writes in his novel. JY real person is not the same as the characters he wrote. Eh, isn't that the case for most fiction writers?
    Last edited by kidd; 08-12-08 at 09:35 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Li Ou even ran for Taiwan president in 2000. He has been a Legislator, not a Senator (there is no Senate in Taiwan). Very famous politician, very well known for his great knowledge, in about everything. I think this is just his personal opinion, lets not take it to heart.

Li Ao seems like a prototypical internet contrarian. lol

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    One his points is that JY real person does not embody the value system he writes in his novel. JY real person is not the same as the characters he wrote. Eh, isn't that the case for most fiction writers?
    We can actually give an exception for Gu Long. Gu Long is as much true to his novels and value systems than anybody else writing wuxia.
    ..ext88

Let Li Ao have his say. It's not that people in general will stop reading wuxia novels by JY or any other author overnight just because of his comments. At the beginning of the clip, just as Li starts ranting about JY, the host (chap in the middle) asks: "Have you read any (of JY's wuxia works)?" Li ignores the question and continues shooting without batting an eyelid. Which basically gives you (viewers of the clip) an idea what Li might be all about.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Let Li Ao have his say. It's not that people in general will stop reading wuxia novels by JY or any other author overnight just because of his comments. At the beginning of the clip, just as Li starts ranting about JY, the host (chap in the middle) asks: "Have you read any (of JY's wuxia works)?" Li ignores the question and continues shooting without batting an eyelid. Which basically gives you (viewers of the clip) an idea what Li might be all about.
    lol Li Ou actually said "You dun need to read something to know its worthless". Thus he acknowledged that he did not read it. Waste of time as he elaborated later in the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    lol Li Ou actually said "You dun need to read something to know its worthless". Thus he acknowledged that he did not read it. Waste of time as he elaborated later in the interview.
    Ignoring the host's question is as good as acknowledging that he did not read it. A waste of time for him to comment on something that he hasn't read. And waste of time for people to get up in arms about it.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Ignoring the host's question is as good as acknowledging that he did not read it. A waste of time for him to comment on something that he hasn't read. And waste of time for people to get up in arms about it.
    Yea i agree

But my earlier post is to say Li Ou did not ignore the host's question. He replied by saying "You dun need to read something to know its worthless".

You know, its always possible to criticise something if you want to. My take is, criticism is only good when it helps people to improve further or gain knowledge, otherwise it's just another load of rubbish.

Li Ao can criticise JY's novel for being worthless, but from what angle. If it is from a point of view where it is supposed to make you a better person for example, then yeah it's worthless. However, countless people including "Big Deng'' enjoys his novels for entertainment. So from an entertainment point of view, it is valuable. From a economic point of view, it is also valuable. Try counting the number of movies that were adapted from his novels and the money that was derived from them.

I call it a case of "sour grapes" and probably he had nothing better to say at that time.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!