Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EEG's lawsuit against Isabella Leong

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    Wow, as a person that's pretty darn passionate about law, do you honestly feel that many people in HK are immoral?

I think it's rather absurd to think bribing a jury will happen. Both parties are allowed to narrow down the jury and this process normally grabs the best candidates to decide what is the rightful outcome. When all fails, losing party can always try again at a higher court.
    Ok, no bribery then. How about scaring the jury into making their decisions in favor of EEG? I don't think it's an impossibility with EEG's connections with the triads.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Ok, no bribery then. How about scaring the jury into making their decisions in favor of EEG? I don't think it's an impossibility with EEG's connections with the triads.
    Well I hope not. Given that i do underestimate the power of EEG and raised in a semi-righteous country .. never occurred to me there's a force out there greater than law. perhaps i'm a bit naive in perceiving hk as that too ...

anyhow, i do hope those individuals aren't cowards ... cuz that's pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    "Force" is subjective. Making a kid sign that kinda contract is basically..unethical.

Isabella isn't much of an underdog though, she's got Michelle Yeoh backing up her a.ss. Ha, it's beautifully ironic how EEG arranges for Isabella to go shoot Hollywood films with Michelle, and now she's gonna leave them. Serves them right though.
    no one made the kid. her guardian signed it. therefore the kid should sue the mom to get the contract thrown out. it's between the mom and the daughter. EEG is just suing because their contract was not honored. so if anyone is at fault it's the guardians of isabella. isabella should take that up with them.

That view has an issue because kids are not commodities of parents. Therefore, a contract signed by a guardian in that fashion shouldn't even be honored after they mature. It's hard to say whether it's "forced" or not. Just becuase someone isn't physically holding down a child to do something doesn't mean you can't psychologically manipulate someone who doesn't have the mental capabilities to make a well-informed decision themselves.

Just because something is a "contract" doesn't make mean it's all legit. Perhaps in HK *rolls eyes*.

That view has an issue because kids are not commodities of parents. Therefore, a contract signed by a guardian in that fashion shouldn't even be honored after they mature. It's hard to say whether it's "forced" or not. Just becuase someone isn't physically holding down a child to do something doesn't mean you can't psychologically manipulate someone who doesn't have the mental capabilities to make a well-informed decision themselves.

Just because something is a "contract" doesn't make mean it's all legit. Perhaps in HK *rolls eyes*.
    I guess according to your theory, no one under the age of 16 can do much in life giving business these days almost always engage in some sort of contract. Contracts were created to provide security for parties engaged in the transaction.

I find the system near flawless right now. As mentioned by GuGu, Isabella should be upset with her mom for binding her to a 20 year contract. Whether isabella did bind herself to an unlawful contract or not is hard to say. It was EEG that brought her to the limelights and it's unfair that Isabella received all the recognition. If Isabella did win, then EEG just entered into a losing investment.

All contracts are legit until it is questioned by the eyes of court, not just in HK.

I never said she should get away scot-free. But she should be able to buy her way out somehow.

16 is considered mature in some places. But when she signed, she was TWELVE YEARS OLD. That's simply not mature enough.

I think there should be laws protecting CHILDREN against signing such long contracts w/ entertainment companies.

like i said, the person that should be responsible should be isabella's guardian. the person who at the time was responsible for the child. so isabella has to live with her parent's doings, if she feels it's not right then take it up with her mom.

I never said she should get away scot-free. But she should be able to buy her way out somehow.

16 is considered mature in some places. But when she signed, she was TWELVE YEARS OLD. That's simply not mature enough.

I think there should be laws protecting CHILDREN against signing such long contracts w/ entertainment companies.
    She probably can buy her way out. I think the negotiation process probably turned sour so EEG is resorting to suing them instead. I'm more than certain EEG asked for an astronomical price that no person can afford!

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    like i said, the person that should be responsible should be isabella's guardian. the person who at the time was responsible for the child. so isabella has to live with her parent's doings, if she feels it's not right then take it up with her mom.
    She probably can buy her way out. I think the negotiation process probably turned sour so EEG is resorting to suing them instead. I'm more than certain EEG asked for an astronomical price that no person can afford!
    That's just a messed up system in my opinion, because the law should protect children, even if it's FROM their own parents. It's lame to have the parents screw up their kids, have kids undergo damage, what's the point in sueing after the damage is done?

Sure, there may not be "so much damage" in this case, but as a general rule for contracts, there should be preventions BEFORE to prevent negative after-effects, which evidently are gonna result from 20 year contracts.

Well she does have that rich boy behind her heh. I'm still rooting for Isabella just because EEG is being utterly ridiculous and I think future CHILDREN and other artists should be protected. Actually screw those money/fame-hungry idiots. I say the PUBLIC should be protected by such garbage.

That's just a messed up system in my opinion, because the law should protect children, even if it's FROM their own parents. It's lame to have the parents screw up their kids, have kids undergo damage, what's the point in sueing after the damage is done?

Sure, there may not be "so much damage" in this case, but as a general rule for contracts, there should be preventions BEFORE to prevent negative after-effects, which evidently are gonna result from 20 year contracts.
    seriously go to a parent in china and try telling them what's best for their children. they'd run after you with a kitchen knife.
    and EEG is one of the biggest company, so i'm sure isabella wasn't kicking and screaming when she was signed with them.

Well she does have that rich boy behind her heh. I'm still rooting for Isabella just because EEG is being utterly ridiculous and I think future CHILDREN and other artists should be protected. Actually screw those money/fame-hungry idiots. I say the PUBLIC should be protected by such garbage.
    i'm glad that she's gonna be moving on to hollywood, but breaking a contract to go to hollywood is not so good in my eyes. she should of had settled this on a lighter note and ask to buy out of the contract instead of going thru all these process of being sued.

I said in an earlier post, "despite engaged in a binding contract, if the terms seemingly play an advantage over one party, the contract is nullified." this is one platform isabella can fight over.

the question is, at the time she signed it, was she really at such a disadvantage?

I suppose the contract can be nullified if it is determined that I's mom signed it under duress or if the terms were blatantly unfair. However, she was already under contract for so many years, and is looking to weasle out of it now only because she can get more favorable terms elsewhere. She should have to pay EEG a severence pay.

A contract is a legally binding contract. Yes, the length of it was very long, but I and I's family also guaranteed themselves an X amount of money per year. Now if she sucked a$$ and EEG wanted out, I am sure they would have had to pay her a severence amount as set forth in the contract.

I don't care much about celebs, but I am a big baseball fan,and this type of greedy behavior in baseball happens all the time and I am sick of it. A guy signs a long term deal before he becomes a star, then he breaks though and does become a star, and he is now unhappy about the deal he signed because if he were to sign a new deal NOW, he could get more money. Well, what about the time that they didn't deserve the money they were getting under the contract? They exchanged the possibility of more future earnings for security for the duration of the contract. It's a calculated gamble that both sides take.
    This account is retired.

Agree with flyingfox2002. No free lunch in this world.

EEG did spend loads of monies to prop her up. Just when EEG is seeing the returns of her investment, the girl wants to bolt.

Don't feel sorry for Isabella at all.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

Quote Originally Posted by mich View Post
    Agree with flyingfox2002. No free lunch in this world.

EEG did spend loads of monies to prop her up. Just when EEG is seeing the returns of her investment, the girl wants to bolt.

Don't feel sorry for Isabella at all.
    If only she wanted to bail out when she wasn't associated with one of the richest man in HK ... then perhaps the cards would flip around.

Come to think of it, if I was placed in a similar situation, I'd probably sign it. I mean, EEG had some of my favorite idols, well mainly Eason. The temptations probably would blind side me ...

If only she wanted to bail out when she wasn't associated with one of the richest man in HK ... then perhaps the cards would flip around.

Come to think of it, if I was placed in a similar situation, I'd probably sign it. I mean, EEG had some of my favorite idols, well mainly Eason. The temptations probably would blind side me ...
    Isabella's family was very poor back then, right? That may be the reason why the contract was signed, and it is only reasonable to think that EEG had taken advantage of her situation.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Isabella's family was very poor back then, right? That may be the reason why the contract was signed, and it is only reasonable to think that EEG had taken advantage of her situation.
    Being poor probably won't be good enough to win her the lawsuit. If saying she was poor, then that's implying she gained an advantage through the contract thus cannot nullify the contract on the terms of inequitable gains of one party.

Lol I think Michelle Yeoh knows what she's doing. She's run with many crowds before..the HK, Mainland, Malaysian, Hollywood...definitely wouldn't be helping Isabella if there wasn't a good chance they could win.

I don't feel sorry for either party. But out of the two, I hate EEG more and I just want EEG to go down down down....

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    Lol, I like this, EEG is creative, and I don't feel bad for either party, I mean both exploit each other

Um...is there a rumor that Richard Lee will bail Isabella out? That's why it's one of her reasons to weasel out of the contract?

Quote Originally Posted by godiva View Post
    Lol, I like this, EEG is creative, and I don't feel bad for either party, I mean both exploit each other

Um...is there a rumor that Richard Lee will bail Isabella out? That's why it's one of her reasons to weasel out of the contract?
    Yep. There's indeed such a rumour.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Isabella isn't stupid. She ain't gonna do this if there isn't a good chance she can really escape EEG. You think EEG won't get revenge if she can't break free from the contract? They already froze her in the past for not obeying them like a God.

Gimme a break...EEG needs to realize they are not Gods. And they can't fool the audience anymore. I'm glad the Gillian incident finally knocked some sense into some people. Too bad most Twins fans are already too delusional/brainwashed.