Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Yang Guo + Xiao Long Nu -- lovey-dovey scenes!

Quote Originally Posted by dewyloony123 View Post
    I know my post was too brief, but I haven't the time to waste on a critique of the movie. So in lieu of my review, I decided to post those two to serve as a counterpoint to your opinion (which I respect as well). I just wanted to put in my two cents as well to attack the movie in case people who are averse to the lovey-dovey and who haven't seen "Love Actually" decide to watch what happens to be saccharine tripe because they came across your defense

"Love Actually" is just polarizing that way--you either adore it or abhore it. I'm just having fun.

Long story short, IMHO I don't dislike the novel's depictions of YG and XLN because IMHO they don't display the traits that I *do* dislike in, say "Love Actually" (that's where those two reviews come in).

Not saying YG and XLN are ideal. It's just that given their, um, unique upbringings, I can be understanding of them; I can believe they work as a viable couple, and are not an example of sickening sap. It's sort of like what Rocky says about Adrian: she's got gaps, he's got gaps, together they fill gaps.

If they were normal, yeah, they would be quite nauseating.
    hmm...so if xln were to kill people who she encounters outside of her cave because they happened to be standing in her way and it was inconvenient for her to take the extra time to travel around them, then it's okay because she grew up in a cave and didn't know any better? well then...how can i possibly argue against that?

seriously, i'm not even sure if you actually saw the entire movie, "love actually" before passing judgment. if you did then my apologies.

i respect your mushy meter which drastically differs from mine, but i really can't buy you're argument. esp with yg who grew up in the streets and more likely than not recognize mushy behaviors that cause discomfort to those surrounding them...he isn't unique in my opinion.

ldg may be unique but not in a good way either except the way she places her lover on a pedestal may appeal to the men who only want their women's world to revolve around them.

man, i knew i was right when i've said that jin yong has lost it with age. he should leave his novels as his. really hated what he did to sword stained with royal blood. thank goodness i don't care for roch...it sounds like he turned it more into a joke with those cheesy dialogue. omg, i couldn't bring myself to finish the new dialogues. talk about torture. with all due respect, i still like some of his works and will only be focusing on the previous editions.

i guess i should better articulate my thoughts. i don't mind lovey dovey scenes that are done with taste. but when it borders into mushiness that is ever so present in roch, it's disturbing and highly unpleasant.

btw, love actually is my most favorite christmas movie.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Thankfully, I read that on an empty stomach.

THAT WAS AMAZING.

Thank you!
    ZOMG I'm back! Did ya miss me? (yeah, probably didn't...)

I heard there was a secret chord
    That David played, and it pleased the Lord.

There's dirty talking and there's the opposite of that, which is this.

That's boner killing materials. Next time I get, uh, distracted by that sexy secretary in a tight skirt standing near the chairman or the strong independent woman sitting opposite me in a meeting & showing some healthy cleavage, I mean, boobies, no, personalities, I know what to think of before the meeting is over and I have to stand up.

There should be a footnote for that page which goes like:

Downstairs, Yang Guo's testicles were panicking. "Did you hear what our boy just said up there?" - one asked the other. "We're fvckin' doomed! He's gonna abandon us!"
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    hmm...so if xln were to kill people who she encounters outside of her cave because they happened to be standing in her way and it was inconvenient for her to take the extra time to travel around them, then it's okay because she grew up in a cave and didn't know any better? well then...how can i possibly argue against that?
    What are you trying to rebut?

seriously, i'm not even sure if you actually saw the entire movie, "love actually" before passing judgment. if you did then my apologies.
    I accept your apology. Yes, I put up with every sickly sweet minute of that movie just so I'd be able to say to the naysayers, "Yes, I put up with every sickly sweet minute of that movie." I like being an informed critic.

i respect your mushy meter which drastically differs from mine, but i really can't buy you're argument. esp with yg who grew up in the streets and more likely than not recognize mushy behaviors that cause discomfort to those surrounding them...he isn't unique in my opinion.

ldg may be unique but not in a good way either except the way she places her lover on a pedestal may appeal to the men who only want their women's world to revolve around them.
    To some extent, none of us are really that unique. We are all tiny specks in the cosmos--worms, Winston Churchill would say --so yeah, XLN and YG aren't unique. But that doesn't stop me from feeling sympathetic towards them. Everyone has gaps, and XLN and YG happen to have emotional gaps. YG has had a rough life, like many people, and has many chips on his shoulders, like many people. XLN has some difficulties emoting, like many people. (There are probably better ways of describing their personalities, but I figured I'd stop there.)

But they both happened to be the only people who gave each other unconditional love--most love does come with strings attached, which is totally fine. Even HR and GJ, I think, have conditional love--and they happen to be my favorite couple. That just happened to be what they needed from each other. They happened to be able to fill each other's gaps.

If their development and gaps "led" (I use the quotes because I think there's a huge component of individual choice in this) them to become psychopathic killers, that would be different--but they're not. So I see no reason why some of us can't feel a modicum of sympathy or compassion towards YG and XLN. I'm not saying ya'll are heartless. I'm just saying we see it from another direction.

man, i knew i was right when i've said that jin yong has lost it with age. he should leave his novels as his. really hated what he did to sword stained with royal blood. thank goodness i don't care for roch...it sounds like he turned it more into a joke with those cheesy dialogue. omg, i couldn't bring myself to finish the new dialogues. talk about torture. with all due respect, i still like some of his works and will only be focusing on the previous editions.

i guess i should better articulate my thoughts. i don't mind lovey dovey scenes that are done with taste. but when it borders into mushiness that is ever so present in roch, it's disturbing and highly unpleasant.
    Agreed. The earlier eds were better. I think they used less sugar. Down with the 3rd eds!

btw, love actually is my most favorite christmas movie.
    (Moderators, would it be OT of me to respond?) It must be that lovely Billy Mack song (two thumbs up!).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    You can rationalize it any way you like, but at the end of the day...just WHY should I admire that?

That's the question nobody can ever answer.
    she's real hot.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    she's real hot.
    Maybe, but I've had posters of girls on my wall that have had more personality.

(Moderators, would it be OT of me to respond?) It must be that lovely Billy Mack song (two thumbs up!).
    lol...that was great. it really must be the song... i think the movie won me over with the relationship between little boy and his stepfather and also his crush on his classmate...or maybe it's hugh grant (who i'm not a fan of) in this movie.

and someone being hot really isn't considered a reason. it's more of a mental block.
    Last edited by patricia n; 04-14-08 at 11:57 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    how could you not care when the pretty little girl was going to give up the handsome boy and marry the ugly old fart.
    i have a mental block now...she's not hot enough. umm, wait, that logic doesn't seem right since i don't give a hoot about what she looks like. she doesn't have enough substance as a fictional character for me to sympathize. she is one of the most poorly written/conjured female protagonists that somehow became popular for being beautiful and inconsiderate. but then again, i'm not surprise, for she does appeal to certain men who fantasy about being a "hot" girl's only reason to live and breathe. and likewise, yg probably appeal to some women for the very same reason. i'm just not one of them, so when i saw that she was about to wed an old fart, i was actually rooting for that underdog. it'll put an end to the nauseating scenes in roch, at the very least.
    Last edited by patricia n; 04-15-08 at 12:19 AM.

OT: It's not only ROCH that is affected by dramatics. There's a scene in 'Fei Hu Wan Zhuan' of Yuan Ziyi dancing with Hu Fei's shirt, wrapping the arms of HF's shirt around herself, then, the arm of the shirt suddenly hit her (I still can't figure out how that happens) and she fell down and then she slapped herself for having feelings for HF.
    Last edited by kidd; 04-15-08 at 01:02 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    OT: It's not only ROCH that is affected by dramatics. There's a scene in 'Fei Hu Wan Zhuan' of Zuan Ziyi dancing with Hu Fei's shirt, wrapping the arms of HF's shirt around herself, then, the arm of the shirt suddenly hit her (I still can't figure out how that happens) and she fell down and then she slapped herself for having feelings for HF.
    Every Jin Yong story had its share of these, but ROCH was the Great Overindulgence.

You know, it's like candy: a little bit doesn't hurt anybody, but eating handfuls of it daily leads to diabetes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Every Jin Yong story had its share of these, but ROCH was the Great Overindulgence.

You know, it's like candy: a little bit doesn't hurt anybody, but eating handfuls of it daily leads to diabetes.
    YG is getting sugar everyday, don't see him getting sick.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    YG is getting sugar everyday, don't see him getting sick.
    I think Candide already covered it in his own uniquely eloquent way: Yeung Gor suffered from a kind of bloodless emasculation.

His arm wasn't the only part of him he lost. In fact, the arm loss might be interpreted as symbolic of...other loss.

Hey, I love the lovey-dovey scenes, but I have to admit, it gives me the goosebumps when they do it too blatantly, in that "heroes meet" scene for example.

You know, if you have been in love before, you will pay a lot to experience that "lovey-dovey" feeling when you were courting. I am married with kids, so that won't happen again to that intensity during this lifetime. Maybe, PJ with his qualifications in marriage therapy can help!!!

So, to "experience" that feeling again, I watch those damn scenes and pretend I am YG (OK, you have my permission to puke!). What?.... we share the same surname and it helps. And no, its' not adultery according to me.

One more thing, I agree that the recent additions in the latest edition suck. Eating noodles with his nose, yeah right, give us all a break. Next, JY will have YG clean XLN's nostrils with his tongue. Pray hard that it won't happen.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Quote Originally Posted by shen diao xia View Post
    You know, if you have been in love before, you will pay a lot to experience that "lovey-dovey" feeling when you were courting. Maybe, PJ with his qualifications in marriage therapy can help!!!
    Help people understand the essence of mush, or help you with your marriage?

As a professional marriage therapy counselor who sees marriages from all walks of life, I can say that it is normal for young lovers to indulge in love-dovey mush. However, if they pull that in front of me, I politely remind them they are paying (counseling fee) to do that in front of me.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    As a professional marriage therapy counselor who sees marriages from all walks of life, I can say that it is normal for young lovers to indulge in love-dovey mush. However, if they pull that in front of me, I politely remind them they are paying (counseling fee) to do that in front of me.
    So in your experience, have you ever seen any couples as mushy as YG and XLN (of the 3rd ed)?

Also, if couples are acting lovey-dovey, why do they seek your help? Wouldn't that mean they're doing ok?

So in your experience, have you ever seen any couples as mushy as YG and XLN (of the 3rd ed)?
    I have seen much worse! Yang Guo and Xiao Longnu will snap back to reality if there's something that really requires their attention. I know some couples that won't!

Also, if couples are acting lovey-dovey, why do they seek your help? Wouldn't that mean they're doing ok?
    They come to a professional marriage therapist such as me when they have a problem. Sometimes they are able to resolve their differences before the consultation session ends -- which is very good and I am always glad to see them work things out -- and inevitably, uncontrollably go for it.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

They come to a professional marriage therapist such as me when they have a problem. Sometimes they are able to resolve their differences before the consultation session ends -- which is very good and I am always glad to see them work things out -- and inevitably, uncontrollably go for it.
    Seems weird, unless you have clients like the following

A couple went to a sex therapists office. The doctor asked, "What can I do for you?" The man said, "Will you watch us having sex, for your expert analysis?" The doctor looked puzzled, but agreed. When the couple finished, the doctor said,"There's nothing wrong with the way you have intercourse" and charged them US$60. This happened several weeks in a row. The couple would make an appointment, have intercourse with no problems, pay the doctor and then leave. Finally the doctor asked, "Just exactly what are you trying to find out?" The man said, "We're not trying to find out anything. She's married and we can't go to her house - I'm married and we can't go to my house. Shangri-la charges US$250, Mandarin Oriental charges US$280, LeMeridian charges US$230. We do it here for US$60, and I get that back from "Medical Claims".......!
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

I find the scenes of these characters disregarding their surroundings and showing affection in public amusing, but not really odd. After all, they're both young, little more than teenagers, and they've both come from rather unusual upbringings so they may not necessarily know all the social conventions. They're in love, so they wouldn't care about social conventions anyway.

Anyway, if you watch other drama and read other fiction you'll probably find similar scenes elsewhere. It's not exclusive to JY's fiction or to this particular story.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

when they are together (YG & XLN) nth around them really matter. they acted like there were only them in this universe. but that's why i feel that they are so in love. i dont think any other couple are as in love or as romantic as these two.