Thread: Light of Million Hopes

Default Light of Million Hopes

I remember there thread for ''Light of Million Hopes'' somehow got delete it
    Can someone give me info. on this series or any pics.

I just finish watching part 1 and I love it! can't wait get part 2 next week.

I don't remember much, but I know this is a very CONFUSING storyline. It's about a family, a mom and her 3 kids, going to find there dad. But the dad has another wife, and the two wives don't like eachother when they meet, but of course they learn to. But then the dad runs away for some reason and has another wife somewhere else. The series shows the kids grow up and meet the third wife and such. Fairly good series though.

hey where are u watching it now?? i would love to watch it as well but just can;t seem to get it
    "You don't marry someone you can live with - you marry the person who you cannot live without."
    All-Time Best Series- My Date With a Vampire 2
    All-Time Best Actress- Joey Meng

I really think this was one of ATV's best productions. At least for its length, the storyline didn't loose its appeal or significance. At first I didn't like how after each "story" that there was a brief information/update on what specific events happened during that time. But as the serie progressed, I really enjoyed it because it was interesting historical facts and set the tone for what was to come in the serie.

I really love the casting in here also. Excellent artists chosen to protray the characters. Each really did a fantastic job and was very believable. I give props to both actresses who played the mothers. Its slipped my mind, but I believe one is Fung Bo Bo. Not sure on the other mother however. Also it was really nice watching a serie that ranged through such a large time period! Love series where we see the cast grow up and mature. It was even nicer because when the children were young, there was already a storyline set up and we got to watch them for awhile as youngsters. So it wasn't like an immediate growin up, but slow progress.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    Thats why we call it,
    The Present.

erm does that mean that u have watch the whole series already??? where did u get it ?? i wouldlike to watch as well
    "You don't marry someone you can live with - you marry the person who you cannot live without."
    All-Time Best Series- My Date With a Vampire 2
    All-Time Best Actress- Joey Meng

I too think this is an interesting series and realistic because the time frame was so long that people gradually change rather than wake up and become a totally different person. For example, If you watch Andrew Yuen in the middle of the series, you wouldn't recognize it's the same guy in the end. Time had corrupted him in a dramatic way.

Of course, i thought the writer got sloppy in the end b/c the kids of the third generation (Vivian, Remus, Crystal, etc.) stopped growing and aging after a time. Because if you realize, the late 80's, early 90's (or mid 90's at the latest), Remus and Vivian went to Chinatown, Cali together. However, during SARs season in 2003, they were still studying and had not changed one bit. However strange is that?
    How come most 江湖 (jiāngh) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dxi) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Can anyone tell me how that daughter died? The daughter of the 2nd wife. I forgot her name it's been a long time I've watched this. I think they nickname her "sai mui" or "small sister"

ice_brakerz, I have finished watching this serie a year or so ago. I rented it from my rental store so not sure where it would be available. Do check the rental stores though. They might still have the full set.

I definatly agree with you MysticDust. Time sure was a important factor int he serie and it was very well used. Like you mentioned, it was nice seeing the character development and everything was gradual, not rushed or sudden. Lol, third generation was a little messy. I wasn't big on having Vivian play two characters. And another compliant I had was havnig Fung Bo Bo's old friend's husband leave her for a younger women or something. You know the lady who ended up washing dishes and then Fung Bo Bo realized and took her back to live with them.

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    kiss7, I think you are refering to Joey Meng's character. Well she died in a plane crash. Crystal was supposed to take the tour group, but instead Joey took it for her for some reason and the plane just crashed. I believe Joey and her fiancee/husband both died.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    Thats why we call it,
    The Present.

ooh thanks for the explaination goddess thats so sad.. I liked Joey Meng's character - Sai Mui. It's been ages since I watched it so I forgot a lot about this series - such as why Crystal somehow broke with Dai Gau Fan and why Dai Gau Fan's wife the girl with the ugly birthmark patch on her face had to harm him. But I think she was very touched with Dai Gau Fan's love, sincerity and trust in her before she was executed. Why was she executed..? I forgot.

omg, yes, I was so annoyed with the fact that that guy left the lady. they were such a cute, nice couple in the beginning of the series and then in the end, he was like a different person. But I guess it makes sense, since BoBo's husband became good after all those years, so why can't a good guy become a jerk?

well, I do have this whole series lying around in a closet at home, so if anyone need any specific info, I am happy to give. I guess I could do character synopsis of this series since my work in the previous thread was deleted, but it will take some time.
    How come most 江湖 (jiāngh) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dxi) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

I think this series was WAAAYYY too long and draggy. The premise about a hard-working Mom going to HK to find her husband was promising but there wasn't enough appealing material for it to last over 40 episdoes! I liked this series but couldn't get through it...it was too long and literally, my patience ran out!

Default Light of amillion hopes

The series lasted I think for 78 episodes all the way up to the Sars period..I have the two boxes of VCDs with me .. Actually the lady who married Dai Gau Fan is the sister of the third wife who fell to her death after trying to kill Fung Bo Bo's character..
    She killed quite a number of characters and was finaly executed for her crimes..The interaction between the two wives (first & 2nd) added chemistry to the series.. The 3rd generation was really disappointing.. However the plot of the series is down to earth and believable and that added to the charm of the characters.. unlike some TVB series.. which tended to exaggerate too much!!

i wasn't disappointed w/ the third generation at all, but was just kinda sad at some of the choices made. I thought the end for Crystal was kinda weird. She and her cousin ended up together? hmm... they achieved a mutual agreement, i think, which was weird considering they were still blood cousins in essence.
    i was so sure this show is over 100 episodes, but i guess it depends on the time interval of an episode. the viet dubbed tapes i have have 30 min long episodes and i know there was at least 58 (2 episodes each) tapes, resulting in at least 116 episodes.

This series have a very good cast, so far so good =)