Thread: Recycling/Reusing old hardware

Default Recycling/Reusing old hardware

Ok as I said before I understand this isn't a tech forum, but then there are still many of us here who do not visit tech forums. So in order to help them out, if anyone of you know of good tech forums, please post them here.

Now the main reason for this topic is: we all buy new hardware every few months to years, and a lot of the old hardware we have is normally in good working condition and we either give it away or sell it, otherwise if it is broken we throw it away.

But even broken hardware still has some good working parts, so is there any way to recycle those good parts for other functions.

For example, I have my old Palm T|X pda which won't turn on anymore, mostly due to the battery and perhaps damage circuitry but I do know the LCD touchscreen is in good condition and I don't want to throw the device away. I want to be able to use that touchscreen for some other purpose.

I also have my brother's broken IPOD, I am going to figure out uses for the HDD and screen if any of it is still in working condition.

What about you? Do you have any old or broken devices which have good working parts which you think you would recycle if you were some electronics expert?

My inspiration for this thread comes from after reading an article about some guy at MIT who used the Wii game controller to make a computer interface similar to what was in the movie Minority Report. Sure there are companies selling specialized hardware for these kind of interfaces but they cost from hundreds to thousands of dollars, this MIT guy did it for around 200 dollars only and he is giving away his source code for free.

Bottom line is: Lets try to reduce electronic waste. It's becoming a major problem.

I think, I've created a post similar to this. Anways, here is current tv website mentioned about E-waste: http://current.com/search/search.do?...=jsp&q=e-waste . Its a big problem, so try to conserve and reused.
    Check out: http://samthetypist.spaces.live.com/ ; Currently under construction;Check out http://www.soundclick.com/spcnet07 , provided by Sugar.

Right now I've decided to turn my Palm T|X's lcd touchscreen to an intercom viewer and interface.