Thread: What's the Taiwan's current relation with China?

Default What's the Taiwan's current relation with China?

I can't seem to get my hands on a solid answer.

I know Hong Kong and Macau are currently under the "One China, Two Systems" rule. But what about Taiwan? I know Taiwan rejected this idea quite a few times already...

I also read that China (PRC) and Taiwan (ROC) are constantly arguing about who's the "real" China. Is this true?

And the real question: What's the Taiwan's current relation with China?

That's a million dollar question right there....The simple answer is that it's in limbo now.

I have a headache, I'll let more knowledgeable people reply with essays.

That is a hard and complicated question that I don't think can be answered in a sentence or two.... I am not too sure, but I think Taiwan is trying to maintain its independence. However, I also heard that some want to reunite with the mainland, not sure though.. Ok, I will let more knowledgeable people answer this question.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Taiwan (republic of china) is ruled by koumintang (KMT), is a democracy, they are also the loser in the civil war which is won by the communists.

China mainland (People's republic of China) is ruled by the communist.

Taiwan is not a recognized country per se, international community sees Taiwan as a territory of People's Republic of China.

Taiwan has never declared its independence, formally it still hopes to reunite with china mainland but in recent years independent yearnings has increased.

Han sOlo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Taiwan (republic of china) is ruled by koumintang (KMT), is a democracy, they are also the loser in the civil war which is won by the communists.

China mainland (People's republic of China) is ruled by the communist.

Taiwan is not a recognized country per se, international community sees Taiwan as a territory of People's Republic of China.

Taiwan has never declared its independence, formally it still hopes to reunite with china mainland but in recent years independent yearnings has increased.

Han sOlo
    Thanks for the detailed answer, Han Solo. Why can't Taiwan just put itself under China's rule again? China even offered them the "One China, Two System" rule. It wouldn't be good if one China splits into two.

Originally right after the Qing dynasty fell, China became known as the Republic of China (ROC). However, the KMT, the party that ruled the ROC, suffered from many problems and were eventually crushed by the CCP (those are the Communists in control now) and thus the KMT retreated to Taiwan. The CCP established the People's Republic of China (PRC). Right now the PRC is the one recognized by the UN, but the ROC believes it's the legitimate government. It doesn't help that the CCP doesn't have the best human rights record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    It wouldn't be good if one China splits into two.
    That thought only comes into play in an ideal world where no one wants power. But really, the Taiwanese also claim to have a very different government (democracy as opposed to authoritarian state) and even culture from Mainlanders...and some of them don't think very highly of Mainlanders. Also by becoming part of the PRC the ROC would basically come to an end.

However, in Taiwan's recent election the KMT was elected again, and the KMT is supportive of the one China goal, although only under certain circumstances. The last few years Taiwan's been under Chen Shui-bian, and his party supports independence. But he was pretty corrupt so the Taiwanese voted his party out this election.

And finally, to answer your topic question, Taiwan's relationship with China is well, strained and IMO pretty bad.They're not bombing each other, but Chinese students can't apply for Taiwanese universities and there are numerous other restrictions. I do hope they get better because my aunt married a Taiwanese guy and she can't live with him because her Chinese passport doesn't allow her to work in Taiwan. I do think it'll be a while before Taiwan and China get along like peas and carrots.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    That is a hard and complicated question that I don't think can be answered in a sentence or two...
    I'll do it with one word: terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    And finally, to answer your topic question, Taiwan's relationship with China is well, strained and IMO pretty bad. They're not bombing each other, but Chinese students can't apply for Taiwanese universities and there are numerous other restrictions. I do hope they get better because my aunt married a Taiwanese guy and she can't live with him because her Chinese passport doesn't allow her to work in Taiwan. I do think it'll be a while before Taiwan and China get along like peas and carrots.
    Historically Taiwan and China have never really gotten along.

"Chinese rule of Taiwan was marginal. Taiwan continued to run its own affairs and only minimal numbers of Chinese officials "governed" the island. During the course of time there were numerous rebellions against the corrupt Chinese officials leading to the statement "every three years an uprising, every five years a rebellion."

China usually just ignored Taiwan as not being worth the trouble to bother about it.

I am not bothered with doing proper research before posting, so here goes.

As far as I can remember, based on what I read, there are basically 3 groups, one supports independence, the other supports reunification and the rest probably don’t care too much and therefore choose to remain status quo.

Well, I can understand those that support reunification and those that choose to remain status quo. The former probably thinks there are benefits for reunification, feeling that they are Chinese after all and therefore, “One China” makes sense. The latter doesn’t know any better, quite happy with current conditions or can’t be bothered.

I think China set a good example with HK that nothing much has changed since 1997. I have been to HK pre and post 1997 and I don’t think there was much of a difference other than the fact the Hong Kongers spoke more Mandarin. Seriously, the rich got richer with business opportunities in China and the normal folk just continued with their normal lives. Maybe, they did not get to choose their leader, but so what?

True enough, several factors are important for consideration; economic progress, general well being of civil society and probably political environment.

But, I have been trying to understand what drives the people who push for independence. Sure, there are a few individuals who are closely linked with the “western devils”, reaping infinite benefits and therefore fighting hard to maintain current status. Some think they are a level if not several above the people in mainland China and don’t want to be associated with the PRC.

As far as Economic progress is concerned, everyone knows that China is growing fast and Taiwan will most likely benefit from it. On the other hand, it is true that Taiwan has reached living standards similar to European nations and therefore there is a risk of the standard of living being pulled down. But, we are not looking at taking the whole wealth of Taiwan coupled with China’s and then spreading it out to the collective population of China + Taiwan, are we? So, the average Joe/Jill need not worry. Finally, on political environment, sure there’s hell a lot of corruption, scandals and cronyism in China, but the last time I checked, The Taiwanese politicians also had these problems whilst throwing chairs at each other and punching themselves on the face. Also, gaining independence is almost impossible with no clear support from other “satanic” governments. Even if its possible, it will be after a terrible war, leaving nothing to inherit.

Is it so wrong for Taiwan to return to China, much like parents reconciling with long lost children? I know its more complicated than that, but there are similarities in this analogy. So, why rebel when there is no chance of succeeding. Sounds a bit like “James Dean”, don’t you think?
    Last edited by shen diao xia; 04-16-08 at 07:50 AM.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Right now the PRC is the one recognized by the UN, but the ROC believes it's the legitimate government.
    What? By that reasoning, the Manchurians and even the Mongolians should have a legitimate claim to China as well.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

In current 2013, Many Taiwanese want the ccp to recognize that Taiwan is its own country.