Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9 Yin vs 9 Yang -- internal aspect

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That was last year. We change opinions like we change fashions.
    it doesn't matter which art is better really it depends on the person using it and we all know that GJ will beat ZWJ in a fair fight

It's the balancing that's tricky, and that's where the Left/Right Technique might be useful. A Left/Right Technique user might be able to split his focus in a manner that would allow him to balance the yin and yang aspects of the two manuals.
    I was under the impression that it was balancing the energies within the body that is the problem, instead of managing them when fighting and using energies.

I kind of wonder whether they can be compatible in one person at all, although 9Yin is supposed to be neutral in cultivation. They are complete practices in themselves so it is difficult to see how the cultivation can be combined at the same time or one ofter the other.

When Shi Potian trained his first internal art under the crooked guidance of Xie Yenke he was told to cultivate all the yang meridians first and then all the yin ones rather than in pairs, e.g. first foot-shaoyin, then foot-shaoyang, and so on ...

Banned

9 yin isn't only about inner energy, it also has lots of martial arts techniques right?

It seemed to me that the Sanskrit part of 9 Yin concentrated on healing one's internal (and possibly other's). Perhaps that's what the monk who created 9 Yang thought was missing and therefore created 9 Yang with amazing internal healing properties along with building and added an autoprotect for good measure. After learning the Sanskrit portion both Hong Qi and Yi Deng regained their internals in 3 months. I think with 9 Yang, they would have been able to recover much faster.

So, in terms of building strong, energy saving internal, that can be used in many outward and versatile ways, 9 Yin wins. In terms of building strong, healing internal, that also protects the user, 9 Yang wins. Which is why, I think, Zhang Wuji needed QKDNY which allowed him to use his internal more with more versatility.
    Last edited by Dirt; 11-25-10 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword View Post
    when the monk created 9yang, he did not know of 9yin's balanced true inner power cultivation technique. but he tried to achieve the same thing huang sheng did by creating a balanced power. he merged shaolin's buddhist (yang)inner power with 9yin's daoist (yin)inner power. the effect should be quite powerful and equal to 9yin. but when ZWJ encountered 9yin inner power in ZZR(removed in recent edition), he found the flencecy of the inner power equal to his 9yang and maybe potentionly superior to his own in the future.
    Where does it say that the monk who created 9yang didn't know of 9yin's balanced true power? If he was able to extrapolate from 9yin and merge it with ShaoLin inner power, he probably knows a thing or two about inner power abilities. You can also interpret it as, he combined the best of both worlds, resulting in something even better than 9yin

Senior Member Mandred Skavenslayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by person135 View Post
    Where does it say that the monk who created 9yang didn't know of 9yin's balanced true power? If he was able to extrapolate from 9yin and merge it with ShaoLin inner power, he probably knows a thing or two about inner power abilities. You can also interpret it as, he combined the best of both worlds, resulting in something even better than 9yin
    Just how much of 9 yin did the monk learn. From previous descriptions it feels like just a casual reading so it is unlikely he would have completely grasped the full potential of the art. More likely he got inspired by the ideas within the manual and adapted them to suit Shaolin Martial Arts, much like how Z3F was inspired by 9 Yang to develope his art. You can no more argue that 9 Yang is superior to 9 Yin than you could argue Wudang art is superior to 9 Yang.

WCY never understood the Sanskrit portion of 9 Yin and surely that monk would have at least mentioned it if he could understand it too. So it's pretty likely that he couldn't have known the full power of 9 Yin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Just how much of 9 yin did the monk learn. From previous descriptions it feels like just a casual reading so it is unlikely he would have completely grasped the full potential of the art. More likely he got inspired by the ideas within the manual and adapted them to suit Shaolin Martial Arts, much like how Z3F was inspired by 9 Yang to develope his art. You can no more argue that 9 Yang is superior to 9 Yin than you could argue Wudang art is superior to 9 Yang.
    Wudang is known for the Taiji Fist and Sword skills, and not so much their inner power no? If so I don't see how you can compare a skill that is inner power only to two fighting skills.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
    WCY never understood the Sanskrit portion of 9 Yin and surely that monk would have at least mentioned it if he could understand it too. So it's pretty likely that he couldn't have known the full power of 9 Yin.
    HuangShang wrote it after the events of TLBB, which means he must not have written in sanskrit.

Quote Originally Posted by person135 View Post
    Wudang is known for the Taiji Fist and Sword skills, and not so much their inner power no? If so I don't see how you can compare a skill that is inner power only to two fighting skills.

HuangShang wrote it after the events of TLBB, which means he must not have written in sanskrit.
    Wudang in HSDS was known for their inner power before Taiji was developed when Wuji became the main character. Even after Taiji was developed, I'd think inner power is still the main foundation of their skills.

You bring up an interesting point about the Sanskrit portion of 9 Yin though. Huang Shang wrote it in a vengeful and angry mindset, not as an enlightened martial artist that just wanted to pass on his arts. It almost contradicts the reasoning for why a portion of it was in Sanskrit (that he did not want it to fall in the wrong hands).

HS created 9 Yin in the vengeful state but he wrote it down after meeting up with the old woman who was just a girl when he first set out to create 9 Yin. HS was perhaps not enlightened but at least put down his vengeful thoughts.

Um, Sanskrit didn't disappear after TLBB you know. Actually wait WHAT? That portion of 9 Yin was in Sanskrit. If HS couldn't have written it in Sanskrit, who on earth did? This doesn't even make any sense.
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 06-03-14 at 07:57 PM.

HS created 9 Yin in the vengeful state but he wrote it down after meeting up with the old woman who was just a girl when he first set out to create 9 Yin. HS was perhaps not enlightened but at least put down his vengeful thoughts.
    Ah this makes a bit more sense, though it is still a bit awkward for a man spending 40 years in a cave practicing martial arts for vengeance and then deciding last minute to put part of it in a different language so the bad guys don't get it. I guess him being a scholar and all does explain why he knows Sanskit though.

Um, Sanskrit didn't disappear after TLBB you know. Actually wait WHAT? That portion of 9 Yin was in Sanskrit. If HS couldn't have written it in Sanskrit, who on earth did? This doesn't even make any sense.
    Are we sure he actually wrote 9 Yin at this time, or just developed the art and recorded it after he discovered all his enemies save one was dead.

I am inclined to believe the latter as writing the manual was a major undertaking requiring a clear state of mind. This would also explain why he was worried about his work falling into the wrong hands and wrote the last part in Sanskrit.

HS was an accomplished scholar and had the imperial library at his disposal, the idea is him learning Sanskrit is not so far fetched.

Maybe it was the monk who put the Sanscrit portion into the manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandred Skavenslayer View Post
    Are we sure he actually wrote 9 Yin at this time, or just developed the art and recorded it after he discovered all his enemies save one was dead.

I am inclined to believe the latter as writing the manual was a major undertaking requiring a clear state of mind. This would also explain why he was worried about his work falling into the wrong hands and wrote the last part in Sanskrit.

HS was an accomplished scholar and had the imperial library at his disposal, the idea is him learning Sanskrit is not so far fetched.

This is exactly what I said? That he wrote it after discovering his enemies were dead?

This is exactly what I said? That he wrote it after discovering his enemies were dead?
    My bad, misread you words.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Maybe it was the monk who put the Sanscrit portion into the manual?
    I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that WCY never understood that last part of 9 Yin so it seems the monk couldn't be the one who wrote it either.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that WCY never understood that last part of 9 Yin so it seems the monk couldn't be the one who wrote it either.
    The monk had a high likelihood of being able to read the Sanskrit portion, as many Buddhist texts are written in Sanskrit.

The monk had a high likelihood of being able to read the Sanskrit portion, as many Buddhist texts are written in Sanskrit.
    I don't think anyone is disputing that the monk could have known Sanskrit, but rather trying to figure out whether HS knew Sanskrit and if it was he who wrote the Sanskrit part of 9 Yin.

The answer is probably yes, it was HS as that portion seems to have been part of the original.

I think in terms of "raw" strength 9 Yin < 9 Yang but 9 Yin > 9 Yang in terms of "pureness"..