Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: 9 Yin vs 9 Yang -- internal aspect

  1. #1
    Senior Member PJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,370

    Default 9 Yin vs 9 Yang -- internal aspect

    Which one is the better internal art?

    The only person who practiced the full 9 Yin is Guo Jing**.

    The only person who practiced the full 9 Yang is Zhang Wuji**. However Zhang Wuji received a special internal boost in the qiankun bag. So we are unable to measure how good he was with 9 Yang alone.

    However, we do know that Zhang Sanfeng got roughly 1/3 of 9 Yang. At age 110, Zhang Sanfeng is estimated to be roughly equal to ROCH Guo Jing in terms of internal cultivation.

    Can we draw any conclusions from this?

    **Other than the creators of these arts, obviously.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,530

    Default

    And here I thought the qiankun bag helped to open up important pressure points that allowed ZWJ to fully use the internal energy he had already built up over the course of 5 years. And did not actually boost the level of his internal energy.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tazzy1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Tazzy Land
    Posts
    1,348

    Default

    you might need to factor in the snake blood GJ drank as a boost to his internal.
    TaZzY InC

  4. #4
    Senior Member Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,214

    Default

    Well, Zhang Wuji was roughly a ROCH-Great by the end of HSDS. By the end of HSDS he was still in his 20's.

    Guo Jing because a ROCH-Great when he reached his 50's...

    Age tells you something, doesn't it?

    Of course, Zhang Wuji learned QKDNY, so I doubt we can really estimate how good 9 Yang is. I say it's roughly around the efficiency level of 9 Yin since it was made to be the equivalent of 9 Yin.

  5. #5
    Senior Member flamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    绿柳山庄
    Posts
    2,707

    Default

    QKDNY requires huge internal to use. Its a pure external art.

    I think 9 YANG will be the better INTERNAL art.

  6. #6
    Senior Member AnhHung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    QKDNY requires huge internal to use. Its a pure external art.

    I think 9 YANG will be the better INTERNAL art.
    Agree.

    QKDNY enables the practitioner to utilize his internal power to the max. So one could say that he got a boost out of QKDNY and QK-bag.

    My estimation:
    ZWJ 20s (QKDNY+QK-bag) ~ GJ 50s (Snake blood)
    ZWJ 50s (with out QKDNY+QK-bag) > GJ 50s (Snake blood)

    5 years of training 9 yang and before QK-bag, ZWJ was already a powerhouse in terms of internal power. His uncle was astonished at his level and could not match him in lightness kung fu.

    I think 9 YANG will be the better INTERNAL art.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

  7. #7
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,594

    Default

    The snake blood didn't do much for Gwok Jing's inner power, or at least it didn't in the two more recent editions of LOCH (I remember reading that it made a BIG difference in LOCH Ed. 1). As I understand it, the snake blood helped him very little in the inner power department, but gave him limited resistance to poisons.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    76

    Default

    There was a similar discussion before, when it was about the origin of 9yang, see:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...t=11680&page=2

    Please note, that 9yang came from 9yin without the Sanskrit part. So from this fact, 9yin should actually be stronger than 9yang. From the translations of Roch and HSDS, it seems more that 9yang has better martial arts theories. Especially in chapter 40 in Roch where it was stated (the part, when YG and Yueyan told Junbao how to fight, has for me a metaphoric meaning for the comparison of 9yin and 9yang) that 9yin teaches to attack faster than the enemy (or try to make a fake movement following a real one), 9yang teaches to let the enemy attack first and reacts at this properly ("if the enemy is strong, let him be strong...." from 9yang said by Yueyuan, active vs. passive). YG was impressed with this martial theory.
    But in my opinion, 9yin has better external martial art and 9yang better internal martial art.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ChanceEncounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    My estimation:
    ZWJ 20s (QKDNY+QK-bag) ~ GJ 50s (Snake blood)
    ZWJ 50s (with out QKDNY+QK-bag) > GJ 50s (Snake blood)
    Not sure this is a great comparison, really. XZ at 24 is well stronger than GJ in his 50s, but that speaks nothing to the level of the martial arts he learned. GJ probably wished he had years to spend in solitary just training up his martial arts.

    I think, when mastered, 9 Yin and 9 Yang are very comparable.

  10. #10
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    GJ probably wished he had years to spend in solitary just training up his martial arts.
    He had thirteen between LOCH and ROCH. He had gotten married and sired a daughter during that time, but I doubt he was very much involved in the childrearing, and Wong Yung probably left him alone during the daylight hours.

    This was when he made his biggest martial arts gains.

    I think, when mastered, 9 Yin and 9 Yang are very comparable.
    Some have mooted that 9 Yeung Jen Ging users get an even better inner power boost, but the 9 Yeung doesn't teach the user how to fight (the 9 Yum does). After learning the 9 Yeung Jen Ging, one would need to get a fighting technique like the Hong Lung 18 Palms to use it with. The 9 Yum Jen Ging had its own built-in set of techniques that used in conjunction with the manual's inner training module would probably put a user somewhat ahead of the Greats.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ChanceEncounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    He had thirteen between LOCH and ROCH. He had gotten married and sired a daughter during that time, but I doubt he was very much involved in the childrearing, and Wong Yung probably left him alone during the daylight hours.

    This was when he made his biggest martial arts gains.
    Even then, he did have to contribute to raising a daughter and keeping after an island.

    I also strongly suspect that ZWJ has a much faster learning curve than GJ.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Some have mooted that 9 Yeung Jen Ging users get at even better inner power boost, but the 9 Yeung doesn't teach the user how to fight (the 9 Yum does). After learning the 9 Yeung Jen Ging, one would need to get a fighting technique like the Hong Lung 18 Palms to use it with. The 9 Yum Jen Ging had its own built-in set of techniques that used in conjunction with the manual's inner training module would probably put a user somewhat ahead of the Greats.
    Good point, but the philosophies of the techniques are different.

    9Yin stresses attacking first. This requires lethal techniques aimed to kill. 9Yang stresses acting second, and thus moving first, and is the ultimate in making someone's attack pay, possibly by rebounding it back to the opponent.

    It's opposite philosophies, so I don't know if you could say that 9Yang builds up one's internal energy faster than 9Yin. Either way, with a sample size of 1 on each side (where we can chart their gains), it's not a very good barometer.

  12. #12
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Even then, he did have to contribute to raising a daughter and keeping after an island.

    I also strongly suspect that ZWJ has a much faster learning curve than GJ.
    Probably. Cheung was a faster learner, and he had literally NO distractions in that hidden valley (well, other than messing with that gorilla, but that's not like having a wife and child...especially Wong Yung and Gwok Fu, who were real handfuls...).


    9Yin stresses attacking first. This requires lethal techniques aimed to kill. 9Yang stresses acting second, and thus moving first, and is the ultimate in making someone's attack pay, possibly by rebounding it back to the opponent.
    9 Yeung is a little risky in that sense. The 9 Yeung user will almost always lose the initiative advantage. In most cases, the 9 Yeung user has far superior inner power to the opponent, making that strategy feasible. But if the 9 Yum user has equal inner power, that tactic is likely going to fail.

  13. #13
    Senior Member ChanceEncounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Yes, I suppose 9 Yang is riskier, but it turns that risk into a strength by attacking in a way that is hard to counter (since well... you are doing the attacking to yourself).

    I always got the sense that 9Yin is the great spear, and 9Yang is the great shield. In that sense, it's very hard to say which is 'better' in terms of internal cultivation. Both cultivate, and both can kick ***.

  14. #14
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Yes, I suppose 9 Yang is riskier, but it turns that risk into a strength by attacking in a way that is hard to counter (since well... you are doing the attacking to yourself).

    I always got the sense that 9Yin is the great spear, and 9Yang is the great shield. In that sense, it's very hard to say which is 'better' in terms of internal cultivation. Both cultivate, and both can kick ***.
    Too bad nobody ever had the chance to figure out how to use them together.

    Perhaps Chow Bak Tung or Gwok Jing could have. The Left/Right Technique might have been useful in fusing the two skills.

  15. #15
    Senior Member ChanceEncounter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Too bad nobody ever had the chance to figure out how to use them together.

    Perhaps Chow Bak Tung or Gwok Jing could have. The Left/Right Technique might have been useful in fusing the two skills.
    I would say SPT would have the best chance of using both, but he definitely doesn't need another power boost.

  16. #16
    Senior Member flamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    绿柳山庄
    Posts
    2,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Too bad nobody ever had the chance to figure out how to use them together.

    Perhaps Chow Bak Tung or Gwok Jing could have. The Left/Right Technique might have been useful in fusing the two skills.
    It will be too dangerous to train in both 9 Yin and 9 Yang. The energies will collide and cause damage. Ultra talents like Z3F could probably do it, according to ZWJ.

  17. #17
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    It will be too dangerous to train in both 9 Yin and 9 Yang. The energies will collide and cause damage. Ultra talents like Z3F could probably do it, according to ZWJ.
    It's the balancing that's tricky, and that's where the Left/Right Technique might be useful. A Left/Right Technique user might be able to split his focus in a manner that would allow him to balance the yin and yang aspects of the two manuals.

  18. #18
    Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    currently in malaysia
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    when the monk created 9yang, he did not know of 9yin's balanced true inner power cultivation technique. but he tried to achieve the same thing huang sheng did by creating a balanced power. he merged shaolin's buddhist (yang)inner power with 9yin's daoist (yin)inner power. the effect should be quite powerful and equal to 9yin. but when ZWJ encountered 9yin inner power in ZZR(removed in recent edition), he found the flencecy of the inner power equal to his 9yang and maybe potentionly superior to his own in the future.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

  19. #19
    Senior Member Exodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword View Post
    when the monk created 9yang, he did not know of 9yin's balanced true inner power cultivation technique. but he tried to achieve the same thing huang sheng did by creating a balanced power. he merged shaolin's buddhist (yang)inner power with 9yin's daoist (yin)inner power. the effect should be quite powerful and equal to 9yin. but when ZWJ encountered 9yin inner power in ZZR(removed in recent edition), he found the flencecy of the inner power equal to his 9yang and maybe potentionly superior to his own in the future.

    so 9 yin is superior to 9 yang thought we all agreed on that 9 yang was better in the internal department

  20. #20
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    so 9 yin is superior to 9 yang thought we all agreed on that 9 yang was better in the internal department
    That was last year. We change opinions like we change fashions.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-24-10, 08:47 AM
  2. 9 Yang and 9 Yin
    By Whsie in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-17-08, 05:47 AM
  3. 9 Yin/9 Yang (the book)
    By Whsie in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-26-06, 04:41 AM
  4. Yin vs. Yang
    By Candide in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10-16-04, 01:47 PM
  5. Internal Damage Healing Power 9 Yang vs 9 Yin
    By ToOn99 in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-03, 01:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •