Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing atv martial arts choreographers

Default Introducing atv martial arts choreographers

All right, just 'bout time you get to know sth about the martial arts choreographer of your fav atv series!

Tony Ching Siu Tung
    do we need an intro for this guy? he did the action for Reincarnated, Tai Chi Master, and Dynasty!

Tsui Siu Ming
    he's so cool, as a singer and a brilliant martial arts choreographer

Bruce leung
    he did the fights for Green Dragon Conspiracy by himself, and Tiger hill Trail, Ma Wing Ching, The Fist (legendary fok's sequel)... with tsui siu ming!

Tsui Yi Ngau
    he's tsui siu ming's bro, been at atv for a very long time, he's acted minor roles in Chronicles of the Shadow Swordsman, Pay Debt with Blood, Tiger Hill Trail, Four Constables,Ten Assassins, etc. he began his martial arts career in shaws studio.
    He was the most prolific choreographer of atv, for Four Constables, Rise of the Great Wall, Super Swordslady, Thou Shalt Not Cheat. Mythical Crane Magical Needle 1989, Wordless Scripture, Boy Fighter from Heaven, etc.

Hon Yi Sang
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://minghaoliu.myweb.hinet.net/hys.jpg')
    Remember this dude? he's not only in reincarnated, he's also in da jia jie, fist of fury, and other atv series (can't think right top of my head yet), but he's one of the most brilliant choreographer i've ever seen. saw his masterpiece in Dragon Strike? that cup scene is the most-mind-blowing fight scene oif all times! also did fights for Young Wong Fei Hung (1980), Princess Cheung Ping, and tiger saber. after the filming of fist of fury, han yi sang sadly died in a car accident in 1995, at the age of 44. we will still have his works to appreciate.

Chan Siu Lung
    i wish i could learn more about this guy.
    from the credits of atv series, i see that he did some of the fights in Princess Cheung Ping and Tiger Saber; he, too, is brilliant but underused like Hon Yi Sang
    here's he in a wuxia film' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBtPppK98bs
    here's he in a kung fu film http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFoL89H3fPI

check out his interview in Chronicles of the Shadow Swordsman (Ping Chung Hup Ying Luk, Binh Tung Hiep Anh) special featurette back in 1985!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfzvK...eature=related
    Chan Siu Lung finished showing off mad skills and comes to talk to us at 1: 10
    "Hey, everyone, I'm Ping Chung Hup Ying Luk's martial arts choreographer Chan Siu Lung. Ping Chung is written with a romantic, colorful atmosphere. I decided to use a carefree, flying type of fighting for this novel ... see if you think my fights match the book's descriptions... there's also great war massacres for exciting, atmospheric purposes.. hope you'll like the fights, and you could give me suggestions any time, thanks!"

Chan Siu Lung did the fights for .. ready? here goes...
    Drunken Fist
    Zhu ge liang (hey, at least the fights are good)
    Chronicles of the Shadow Swordsman
    Moon and the Saber (aka Magic Blade, type in magic blade rrden or manozen in youtube)
    The Arrogant, the Invincible, and the Demon Girl
    Buddha Jih II
    Poetic Sword Li Bai
    Merry Dragon Lad
    The Yin Yang Insurmmountable Pair of Swords
    Xiao Bai Long (youtube it)
    The Invicible Snowly-hair Woman
    The Jade bow Legend
    The God of Sword, the apparently last great work he did. what happened to him? where is he? anyone knows? gladly appreciate it.

Cliff Lok
    he is a practitioner of 六合八法拳 (don't ask me what that is) he acts in Pay Debts with Blood 1982 as that white - haired man
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAIk02Qv4UI
    also did fights for
    Buddha Jih
    The Golden Phoenix (check out sukting's review)
    The Duel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-1CN1_Cu6k
    The Return of the Four Constables

Yang Shai Kwan
    Classic Ghost Story
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2xcpqeB0ww
    The Legend of Fu Hung Suet
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db5ek-HSoCs

Ma Yuk Shing
    Believe it or not, he did fights for
    The Swordsman
    The kung Fu Master
    MDWAV I
    he used to be a vice martial arts choreographer for some of atv's low-budget kung fu series in the late 1980s. sorry, i think he sucks.

anyway, i heard that atv might have a wuxia series, the first time in 10 years! can't wait! can't wait!

GREAT POST!!! Thanks for all the info.
    Any chance you can do something similar for TVB?

thanks! but sorry, i only know about atv's martial arts stuff.

great post JourneytoThreeKingdoms Chan Siu Lung is one of the most underated fight choreagraphers ever, i think he also did the priminster series with adam cheng which is one of his best works its good to know other people are realising the fight action on tv is just as good or even better than movies.

thanks, i got these info from reading credits, watching some of these series, doing extra research, and reading comments from guys like you at youtube, cuz you guys are like the gurus of martial arts cinema, so i'm really grateful of you too

thanks mate just like promoting the shapes looking forward to seeing poetic sword cliff lok is actually in that series. just wish bloody debt would be released somewhere need a better qual of that one that is one of the best.

Excellent. Some nice info

Quote Originally Posted by JourneytoThreeKingdoms View Post
    Tony Ching Siu Tung
    do we need an intro for this guy? he did the action for Reincarnated, Tai Chi Master, and Dynasty!
    Interesting, never knew Ching worked for ATV, especially for Reincarnated and TaiChi Master which had great choreo

Hon Yi Sang
    Remember this dude? he's not only in reincarnated, he's also in da jia jie, fist of fury, and other atv series (can't think right top of my head yet), but he's one of the most brilliant choreographer i've ever seen. saw his masterpiece in Dragon Strike? that cup scene is the most-mind-blowing fight scene oif all times! also did fights for Young Wong Fei Hung (1980), Princess Cheung Ping, and tiger saber. after the filming of fist of fury, han yi sang sadly died in a car accident in 1995, at the age of 44. we will still have his works to appreciate.
    I liked this guy. Never knew he was a martial artist though but always was a regular in any ATV martial arts series. He done the cup scene in Dragon Strike?! Awesome! Also very suprised to know he choreographed for Young Wong Fei Hung where he also has a major role as Lam Sai Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by rrden View Post
    thanks mate just like promoting the shapes looking forward to seeing poetic sword cliff lok is actually in that series. just wish bloody debt would be released somewhere need a better qual of that one that is one of the best.
    sure thing. cliff lok was in poetic sword? never knew that, thanks, really look forward to it. i really look forward to the fights, a few clips in canto still survive in damian lau's official website, and pay debt with blood; it looks like a cult classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Maz999 View Post
    Excellent. Some nice info
    thank!

Interesting, never knew Ching worked for ATV, especially for Reincarnated and TaiChi Master which had great choreo
    i agree, the fight between Lo Lieh and Eddie Ko in the first episode is one of the zaniest fights ever made

I liked this guy. Never knew he was a martial artist though but always was a regular in any ATV martial arts series. He done the cup scene in Dragon Strike?! Awesome! Also very suprised to know he choreographed for Young Wong Fei Hung where he also has a major role as Lam Sai Wing.
    he's awesome! never knew he played a big role in Young Wong Fei Hung. thanks !
    Last edited by JourneytoThreeKingdoms; 04-28-08 at 10:28 PM.

i saw a cover of poetic sword an cliff is on the cover, chan wai man is in bloody debt as well he fights cliff lok is also in spirt of the sword with leslie cheung and the modern day series interpol, does anyone know if chan wai man did anymore series for atv ?

was cliff lok as a Tang Dynasty official in this cover?
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.phimdvd123.com/images/item/KiemTienLyThaiBach.jpg')

chan wai man did a modern series in atv called 大家Happy in 1983
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA11MnfM_g4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcAoqQBG0JY
    Last edited by JourneytoThreeKingdoms; 05-01-08 at 09:42 PM.

that is cliff lok on the cover on the bottom left next to the girl. he never seems to be listed when he is on screen in a series.

was his character only a cameo apperance? i see his name on credits in Chronicle of the Shadow Swordsman and Zhu Ge Liang
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2cctdS1F7M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1nycsqXpE

cliff lok gets killed in the first scene in chronciles , i was not happy about that, he does more action in the empress wu series i put up some clips of that one.

oh shoot, that was cliff lok?! i thought he still exist in episode 2! but wow, cliff lok did a lot of action work in ATV too! nice...

cliff is also in the bride with white hair tv series with chen koon tai but he does no action in that.

never knew that. thanks!

chan siu lungdid the fights for Drunken Fist II and cop dramas in the 80s, like Law and Order, and had the honor of choregraphing Kenny Ho's debut success The General 大將軍 in 1982

one sentence: chan siu lung is the king of atv's 80s martial arts series; he did all the popular titles of the 80s

hon yi sanghad the honor to choreograph "Big Sister"

cliff lokdid fights for series on ancient Chinese beuties, like Diu Sim and Xi Shih

I really wanna know who did the fights for
    The Bitter Conflict
    The Water Legend
    The Legendary Hero
    Super Stuntman

anyone know?

i wanna make sure i buy a work by tsui yi ngau, one by cliff lok or hon yi sang, and one by chan siu long

thanks!
    Last edited by JourneytoThreeKingdoms; 05-30-08 at 12:06 AM.

Default cliff lok

also been checking out young dowager and cliff lok is the main villian in this as well, the fights are proper high level.

wicked, i better check it out too, thanks

I really wanna know who did the fights for
    The Bitter Conflict
    The Water Legend
    The Legendary Hero
    Super Stuntman

anyone know?
    I am also curious to know about these 4 as well. Other than the shitty quality intro of "On the Waterfront" (aka water legend), I don't have any of these intro clips. Plus, ATV hasn't replayed them for quite a long long time. I don't think ATV have aired The Legendary Hero before.