Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Identity: ethnicity vs. nationality.

Default Identity: ethnicity vs. nationality.

We all technically have at least one ethnicity and one nationality (some people have more than one). I would suppose many people on this forum have a ethnicities that are different from their nationality.

If you have to choose one, do you identify more with your ethnicity or your nationality. And if you come from multiple ethnicities or nationalities...which one do you identify more with?

Then of course, come the question of what exactly defines ethnicity? what distinguishes one from the other exactly?

Ethnicity > Nationality. Because ethnicity associates more with skin color, and well....I am faced with it every day when I stare into the mirror lol.

But in all seriousness, I think if you're an Asian living in North America, no matter how whitewashed you are, you're still Asian and that's going to affect other people's perceptions of you.

Nationality, I only have one because PRC refuses to accept dual citizenship lol.

Sometimes I forget I'm Chinese. When everyone start speaking the same language, doing the same things, you tend to forget you're from a different cultural background. But that's all gone once you look at the mirror like 999roses said. I wouldn't choose because I've never felt completely belonging to either side. Ethnicity deals with your race and nationality is about what country you were born in.

It's much simpler for me due to where I live. Ethnicity >>>>> Nationality. By default, if we don't belong to the "race of origin", we are deemed to be second class citizens. And this extends to opportunities for education, paying premium prices for property, govt business contracts, etc , etc.

So, what's to be proud of and patriotic about????
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

My own identity eclipses my ethnicity and nationality.

If ethnicity (or nationality) is a big part of your identity, you're gonna be facing some serious identity crisis when the culture of the environment you live in doesn't match the culture of your ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses
    But in all seriousness, I think if you're an Asian living in North America, no matter how whitewashed you are, you're still Asian and that's going to affect other people's perceptions of you.
    If the first thing people notice about you is your ethnicity, that's pretty sad - sad that you have nothing else to show for yourself.

The solution to that is not to become white-washed. That's fcking pathetic. Be proud of your ethnicity and culture, but remember that you're an individual who can forge your own identity. Think about when you were a kid and people asked you what you want to become when you grow up. I'm sure no kid answers that with "I wanna grow up to be a {insert-ethnicity-or-nationality-here} guy/gal!"
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

My own identity eclipses my ethnicity and nationality.

If ethnicity (or nationality) is a big part of your identity, you're gonna be facing some serious identity crisis when the culture of the environment you live in doesn't match the culture of your ethnicity.
    Sure, but to be fair the qn was about ethnicity or nationality. If we bring in identity, then we will also have to include character, personality, financial status, beliefs, appearance, etc etc..

Quote Originally Posted by shen diao xia View Post
    Sure, but to be fair the qn was about ethnicity or nationality. If we bring in identity, then we will also have to include character, personality, financial status, beliefs, appearance, etc etc..
    You live in Malaysia, don't you? I don't think you're aware of the identity crisis that Asians living in the Anglosphere face. With those who are suffering from it, their identity is constantly ping-ponged between ethnicity and nationality. That's what I addressed. There's a third side to an "Identity: ethnicity v.s nationality" debate.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    You live in Malaysia, don't you? I don't think you're aware of the identity crisis that Asians living in the Anglosphere face. With those who are suffering from it, their identity is constantly ping-ponged between ethnicity and nationality. That's what I addressed. There's a third side to an "Identity: ethnicity v.s nationality" debate.
    I am not disagreeing with you and I'm aware of the issues that you mentioned. How is it different compared to the situation I face where I live. As I have mentioned before, we are still considered 2nd class. I spent several years during my younger days in NZ and I actually think I got a better deal there.

My point is still the same. Your arguments belong to a different topic.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

I know where I came from. I know my father's heritage and my mother's language. And at the same time, I feel very fortunate to be exposed to another culture and another language while growing up. My identity encompasses everything that is identified with my parents. However, at the same time, my personal experiences growing up in a “foreign country” have shaped my ideals and values that may be different from that of my parents.

i understand your feeling of a third side--but i was rather interested in if you were forced to use only one of the above to link yourself. for example, if i were chinese american...would i link myself closer with the "chinese" part or the "american" part (american, refering mostly to the dominant white american culture)?

Ethnicity. Is bebe conducting some sort of survey?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    i understand your feeling of a third side--but i was rather interested in if you were forced to use only one of the above to link yourself. for example, if i were chinese american...would i link myself closer with the "chinese" part or the "american" part (american, refering mostly to the dominant white american culture)?
    Nobody can force you to pick one of those two options. Going with either sucks. It's the "you're either with us or against us" black-or-white mentality.

I'm a Vietnamese Australian. My cultural makeup is Viet + Chinese + French + Anglo-Aussie + American jazz culture. I'm not gonna identify myself as just Vietnamese or just Australian, because it's not that simple.

This ethnicity vs nationality thing is a very effective weapon that the white folks in power love to use on people of colour. It's a hell lot easier to control them if you can alienate and fvck with their minds to cause an identity crisis at the same time.

I was raised in Hong Kong until adolescence. Now living on the east coast. Have always identified myself as a Chinese: loved the language and the rich ancient culture. I felt very fortunate to know Chinese well enough to be able to explore the culture.

On the other hand, I also felt fortunate to have immigrated. My home country has its faults I must recognize and I'd choose to live in the west over China any day.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

This ethnicity vs nationality thing is a very effective weapon that the white folks in power love to use on people of colour. It's a hell lot easier to control them if you can alienate and fvck with their minds to cause an identity crisis at the same time.
    This, is bloody brilliant! I like that.

As for the rest of your posts in this thread, it stands. For this "Nobody can force you to pick one of those two options. Going with either sucks. ", especially.

There are times when we standing in a ground (nationality) where there's nothing to be proud of. On the other hand (ethnicity), same problem one could face too.

Ethnicity is something constant. That's what I am, and what I would identify myself as.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 04-23-08 at 07:38 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

if you wanted to turn this question black and white i'd say

"I rather live in Australia or in China?"
    My answer would be Australia.

"If I was forced to fight in a war for Australia or China, which would I pick?"
    My answer would be Australia.

My reasoning has nothing to do with ethnicity or nationalily.
    If it was USA instead of Australia on the otherhand...

Pff I would so fight in a war for China, because I'm Chinese and I don't care what my citizenship says. Rather live...well since I'm illiterate, probably rather live where I can actually get a job.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Pff I would so fight in a war for China, because I'm Chinese and I don't care what my citizenship says. Rather live...well since I'm illiterate, probably rather live where I can actually get a job.
    I am totally with you here, Rosy.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Pff I would so fight in a war for China, because I'm Chinese and I don't care what my citizenship says.
    I wouldn't because I don't agree with communist and oppressive ideals.

Rather live...well since I'm illiterate, probably rather live where I can actually get a job.
    China would be great for you then. I bet most chinese farmers are illiterate too.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    I wouldn't because I don't agree with communist and oppressive ideals.

China would be great for you then. I bet most chinese farmers are illiterate too.
    Yeah but I care about the Chinese people regardless of the government. If someone was to attack my country, then I think I can set that aside for my country. Now if China was going to attack some other country, then no I would not go fight for them.

Wow, what a very worldly view

Would live in US as a comfy coward and fight for the Chinese (not Communist China) as a forced hero.

That said, I doubt if I can really fight. I'd probably faint and get killed. That's still dying for my people la.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.