Thread: Australia

Default Australia

Hey everyone,

I might be making a petite excursion to the Southern hemisphere this August (since that's when flights are cheapest) and I just had a few questions so hopefully anyone of you who are familiar at all with Australia can offer your two cents.

To organize my thoughts, I'm just going to go with a numbered list of questions/concerns/random rants.

1) Recommended things to do/see in Sydney, Melbourne, and/or Brisbane? Anything or anywhere with good views, food, and most importantly KOALA BEARS sounds good to me.

2) Adelaide, Canberra, or Newcastle? Since I'm Asian and need to use up all three domestic flights that come with the Qantas flight I'm considering, I do need a fourth city, and sadly it does need to be from Zone 1 (otherwise I'd pick Cairns and go find nemo), so these are pretty much my options. I know nothing about Newcastle, nothing about Adelaide except for Lleyton Hewitt, and Canberra...well, I know it's the capital, but no one seems to like it lol. So any info would be good, since I'm lazy and don't feel like reading up on this.

3) Is it all right to visit in winter? I feel like I'm a little crazy because I'll be missing out on my own summer. I'm not afraid of the cold but I do dislike rain, so does it rain a lot in August in the above cities? Most of all I'm worried about winter limiting what I can do/see. Also any other info on weather in Syd, Melb, or Bris in Aug would be helpful since averages don't tell you everything.

4) How expensive is Australia? Like not in terms of flying there, but how much spending money I'll need. I don't need a numerical amount...just how much it'll be in relation to the US/Canada. One exact number I do want is how much I could probably expect to pay for a hotel.

5) Are Australians nice?

Thanks a bunch in advance to any responders.

Sincerely,
    A little girl who really really really likes koalas
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

5) Are Australians nice?
    In general, people down under (incls NZ as well) are friendlier and nicer. But,
    put them in the same room and they turn into monsters!!! Much like the English and the French, to a lesser degree though, I have to add.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Senorita Liza Wang, Ud es MUY bonita para su edad. Besame.

Well, if you dislike rain, I wouldn't go to London but besides that England's a great place. You should take the train often if you really want to "run into" Geoffrey Rush (Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean). And yea, Sydney and Melbourne are nice places too. I went down there for a week (a school week) about the same time that Liza Wang was down around the Sydney Opera House...I still can't believe it because I could have met her and not even know it...what a pity. But we were somewhere in Australia. I'm Australian actually well, only half, and yea I think a majority of Aussies are nice.
    Liza Wang-the only gorgeous woman to make any man (especially me!) swoon with one piecing look. (never underestimate the power of a woman)

1) Recommended things to do/see in Sydney, Melbourne, and/or Brisbane?

Sydney: For famous landmarks go and see The Harbour Bridge, Opera House, Centre Point Tower. While in the CBD (that's downtown to you yankees) there is the wildlife park where you can pat the koalas and other native animals. But its quite small, you're better off venturing to a national park.

Melbourne: Great place for shopping and visit the wineries. Be prepared for 4 seasons in 1 day. Probably the ugliest of the major cities IMO

Brisbane: Don't know much of Brisbane. Take your chances

A fourth city I'd recommend is the Gold Coast for surf, sand and bikinis

2) Adelaide, Canberra, or Newcastle? Since I'm Asian and need to use up all

Newcastle is steel and mining country. I wouldn't recommend the city as a tourist destination.

3) Is it all right to visit in winter? I feel like I'm a little crazy because I'll be missing out on my own summer.

Eastern australian winter is mild. Average temp is around 17 degrees celsius during the day. Not much rainy days and plenty of sunshine

4) How expensive is Australia? Like not in terms of flying there,

Expensive because we import most of the commercial goods. The good thing is sales tax is included in the prices.

5) Are Australians nice?

You can tell us that after your visit

a pretty ace place for me
    Liza Wang-the only gorgeous woman to make any man (especially me!) swoon with one piecing look. (never underestimate the power of a woman)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Hey everyone,

I might be making a petite excursion to the Southern hemisphere this August (since that's when flights are cheapest) and I just had a few questions so hopefully anyone of you who are familiar at all with Australia can offer your two cents.

To organize my thoughts, I'm just going to go with a numbered list of questions/concerns/random rants.

1) Recommended things to do/see in Sydney, Melbourne, and/or Brisbane? Anything or anywhere with good views, food, and most importantly KOALA BEARS sounds good to me.

2) Adelaide, Canberra, or Newcastle? Since I'm Asian and need to use up all three domestic flights that come with the Qantas flight I'm considering, I do need a fourth city, and sadly it does need to be from Zone 1 (otherwise I'd pick Cairns and go find nemo), so these are pretty much my options. I know nothing about Newcastle, nothing about Adelaide except for Lleyton Hewitt, and Canberra...well, I know it's the capital, but no one seems to like it lol. So any info would be good, since I'm lazy and don't feel like reading up on this.

3) Is it all right to visit in winter? I feel like I'm a little crazy because I'll be missing out on my own summer. I'm not afraid of the cold but I do dislike rain, so does it rain a lot in August in the above cities? Most of all I'm worried about winter limiting what I can do/see. Also any other info on weather in Syd, Melb, or Bris in Aug would be helpful since averages don't tell you everything.

4) How expensive is Australia? Like not in terms of flying there, but how much spending money I'll need. I don't need a numerical amount...just how much it'll be in relation to the US/Canada. One exact number I do want is how much I could probably expect to pay for a hotel.

5) Are Australians nice?

Sincerely,
    1)Sydney- Harbour Bridge Climb, Sydney Opera House, Bondi Beach, Manly Beach, The Rock area- nice relaxed areas.

Melbourne- Great Ocean Road, Sorrento, Healesville Sanctuary- Kaolas etc. Docklands.

Brisbane- the CBD itself is pretty boring- head off into moreton bay, moreton island, gold coast area.

2) Adelaide is pretty small boring place but very close to the major wine producing areas- so nice wine binge tours there.

Canberra boring. Newcastle worse.

3) Winter in Australia is not that cold, in the major cities coldest about 10 degree. And it doesn't really limit any major activity that you want to do.

4) 1 AUD is about 93 cent US. You can get really really cheap backpackers that are around the major tourist spots.

5) Aussies are ok, generally friendly, but you can get the arseholes.

Han Solo
    P/s: If you are coming to melbourne, drop me a pm or email, and i can treat you to dinner and get other spcnet ppl to turn up too.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

I just wished I could have bump into Liza Wang in Australia that month or something...I was there but not exactly there with her. But it's nice to know that she and I like Australia...oh doctor doctor, give me a medication or send me to a hospital because I think I'm going crazy over you Liza.

Hey everyone,

5) Are Australians nice?

Sincerely,
    SPARKY! come to sydney!
    you can go to national park for koalas, or, if you go to brisbane/gold coast area, go to Currumbin Wild Life Sanctuary. (i'm not sure if thats the name), but i went there last year, and i got to hold a koala! and there are birds + kangaroos. i stayed in surfer's parardise, which was really good, but that was in summer. and there is movie world, wet and wild, sea world, dream world, etc., but you've probably got all that in america.

but i should be promoting sydney. harbour bridge climb is expensive. if you want beaches as well, go to curl curl north, i personally don't like manly or bondi; too many people. and the water is cold; for me at least. there is always taronga zoo, but you don't get to touch the animals, but its still worth a visit. cheaper suburbs would be like campsie, burwood, but if you're not that familiar; don't go there! actually, burwood is okay....

But if you go to Australia, you have to visit the Sydney Opera House. It's as pretty on the inside as it is on the outside and I would just sit in there and stare at the stage and pretend Liza Wang is on there performing a song. I'm glad to know that she and I enjoy opera (some say that this genre is too "old" for me but pish posh) and yet I feel so sad at times.

As a tourist, you should go for the Bridge climb, and yes, see the Opera House. But then again, Sydney is not much different to any other city. Parramatta is a good surburb (sorry, just promoting my area). Anyways, I like Melbourne, I feel it is a bit cleaner than Sydney. Tourist places..........the great Ocean Road, the Great Barrier Reef while it is still there, Ayers Rocks, Gold Coast for a surfy holiday. Never been to Brisbane but I heard it is a great city.

Go to Canberra, but only because it is the capital and there is more places to see there. Although it is half-dead there because it is what I call a uni town. There is the Parliament House, Cockington Green (reminds me of the park in Holland), National Zoo (although I don't know why you would want to go there since Sydney and Melbourne have so much better zoos), and the Australian Mint.

Warning: Melbourne can have four seasons in one day. It is a bit cool here in Sydney, around 16 degrees Celsius this week. Bring something warm. As much as you dislike rain, Australia needs all the rain it can get.

The prices are going up, I will tell you that. Haven't been back in the States for 10 years now so I don't know in relation to USD. But the petrol (fuel) prices is quite expensive at the moment. Generally, it is not that bad. It's probably just the fact that the world economy is slowing down.

Are Australians nice? It depends on who you meet.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

5) Are Australians nice?
    1. Melbourne - Must visit the city, of course, and experience Melbourne Transport! Also, Melbourne Zoo! Definately NOT one of the ugliest cities, but yes, a great place for shopping. And like u4ria said, do prepare for 4 seasons in one day. In August it isn't that bad, just entering Autumn, so it won't be too cold, but you never know. Tip: Never believe Melbourne weather forcasts. Victoria Market is a good place to look around. And of course, if interested, Sovereign Hill is a must!

4. I don't know your location, but Australia isn't very expensive, depends where you are. For instance, Sydney is much more pricey than Melbourne.

5. Australians are the best mate.
    Sometimes it's hard to love someone because you're so afraid of losing them.

Hahaha...I didn't know I lived in such a generally 'boring' country.

Have fun when you come to Australia in August Sparky!

I'll probably be in Noosaville (Sunshine Coast) attending the Utopian International Retreat.

u lucky *****!