Thread: Weird Road Rules: Question for Australians ???

Default Weird Road Rules: Question for Australians ???

This sounds so unbelievable and obsolete.
    "Taxis in Australia must carry a bale of hay in the trunk."

Are there other weird rules that you know of in your counrty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Weird Road Rules

By Sara Curtis and CAA Magazine Staff
    10 unusual traffic regulations from around the world
    The rules of the road are different wherever you drive, but some international would come as a surprise to most Canadian drivers. Here are 10 unusual traffic rules we've found from around the world.

*Many of Bangkok's one-way roads change their direction at certain hours of the day.
    *In traffic-heavy Manila, vehicles with licence plates ending with the numbers 1
    or 2 are forbidden from operating on city roads on Mondays between the hours
    of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
    *Taxi drivers in Finland must pay royalty fees to the Finnish Copyright Society if
    they play music in their cars while transporting paying customers.
    *It is illegal to park on the side of the road almost everywhere in Japan.
    *Taxis in Australia must carry a bale of hay in the trunk.
    *In Switzerland, washing your car on Sunday is frowned upon.
    *South Korean drivers cannot turn left except at certain intersections where
    indicated.
    *In the UK, it is legal for a male to urinate in public, provided it is on the rear
    wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle.
    * Rental cars have been banned in order to control road traffic in Bermuda.
    * In certain areas of Shanghai, it is illegal for drivers to honk their horns.

http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/CAA...mentid=6779571
    Last edited by Thor; 04-22-08 at 10:23 AM.

This one is not really a rule, but rather a practice, which makes good sense.

In BKK and in highly congested areas, drivers do not engage the parking brake when they park, so that others can push it back and forth to accomodate more cars!!!
    Last edited by shen diao xia; 05-04-08 at 12:37 AM.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

That is so untrue!
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Why do you say that? Let's ask some people who actually reside in BKK (Bangkok, Thailand) for clarification.
    Last edited by shen diao xia; 05-04-08 at 01:09 AM.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    That is so untrue!
    Actually it is true, I don't live in Thailand, but I've been there before and I know the country pretty well, when Drivers park there car (more common in smaller car spaces say a restaurant parking lot for example), drivers will park there car without engaging the parking brakes, so that you can push the car back and forth so another car can get in or out! Though they don't do it say in there own driveways.

I can also confirm that the Bangkok one-way road traffic which changes direction at certain times of the day is also true, its not all roads, its only certain express highways, to accomodate for the peaker time periods. So if your not familiar with driving in BKK, I strongly suggest you don't, you wouldn't want to enter that highway at the wrong time going the wrong way!

And living in Melb, Aust, I can tell you that the bale of hay required in Taxis is sooooo untrue, maybe in outback Aust somewhere, but then you would call that a pick-up truck/ute not a Taxi. So I don't know where they got this one from?
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    This sounds so unbelievable and obsolete.
    "Taxis in Australia must carry a bale of hay in the trunk."
    yes it very true.
    .. it's also mandatory that all vehicles in australia are fitted with a Wally Bag. What is a wally bag? it's a pouch that goes at the back of the car seat. It is used in the event koalas (or kangaroos) drop down from the gum tree and needs a pouch to sleep in.

Are there other weird rules that you know of in your counrty.
    In the US, we use miles while the rest of world uses kilometers.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Sutisa View Post
    And living in Melb, Aust, I can tell you that the bale of hay required in Taxis is sooooo untrue, maybe in outback Aust somewhere, but then you would call that a pick-up truck/ute not a Taxi. So I don't know where they got this one from?
    Good luck finding taxis in the outback and you find more 4WDs than utes in the outback.

here is a weird fact that is unique to Melbourne - you keep left when turning right across a tram rail. nevermind that you're going to obstruct the car on your right

Quote Originally Posted by u4ria View Post
    Good luck finding taxis in the outback and you find more 4WDs than utes in the outback.

here is a weird fact that is unique to Melbourne - you keep left when turning right across a tram rail. nevermind that you're going to obstruct the car on your right
    Maybe the road only has one lane whenever a tram rail is closeby? I am not surprised if there are strange rules that dated back to the colonial times. One of those former British colonies in SEA was reported to have a building code that specifies the strength of a beam must be able to withstand 6 feet of snow load. In Palo Alto and the cities around it, if you came to a 4-way, the car that got there first has the right of way. This must be very strange to drivers in big Asian cities.

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    Maybe the road only has one lane whenever a tram rail is closeby? I am not surprised if there are strange rules that dated back to the colonial times. One of those former British colonies in SEA was reported to have a building code that specifies the strength of a beam must be able to withstand 6 feet of snow load. In Palo Alto and the cities around it, if you came to a 4-way, the car that got there first has the right of way. This must be very strange to drivers in big Asian cities.
    4-way.....as in a stop sign or something? Unless the Palo Alto that you're talking about is a different one.............

Whenever I talk to friends outside of the US, they always make fun of me for driving on the wrong side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    4-way.....as in a stop sign or something? Unless the Palo Alto that you're talking about is a different one.............

Whenever I talk to friends outside of the US, they always make fun of me for driving on the wrong side of the road.
    Yes a 4 way junction, there may be other Palo Altos that I don't know of. I have no problem with Americans driving on the wrong side because the cars there are also wrongly built. The steering wheel is on the left side, I had to change gears using my right hand. Luckily the gas pedal and brake pedal are in the correct order. Some of us thought that we would have to cross our legs...

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    Yes a 4 way junction, there may be other Palo Altos that I don't know of. I have no problem with Americans driving on the wrong side because the cars there are also wrongly built. The steering wheel is on the left side, I had to change gears using my right hand. Luckily the gas pedal and brake pedal are in the correct order. Some of us thought that we would have to cross our legs...
    Lol, I had a good laugh. I don't consider the cars to be wrong built........just slightly different and unique.

yes it very true.
    .. it's also mandatory that all vehicles in australia are fitted with a Wally Bag. What is a wally bag? it's a pouch that goes at the back of the car seat. It is used in the event koalas (or kangaroos) drop down from the gum tree and needs a pouch to sleep in.
    At first I was like What the? cas I only saw the yes its very true part, but when I scrolled down futher and read about the Wally bag, I started laughing.

This rule only applies to certain streets in the city, its called a hook-turn. The rule is in place so that cars turning right don't hold up trams, and Melbourne has alot of them. Also, you don't obstruct the cars on your right cas you actually wait on the left hand until your light turns red and you only make the turn once the lights turns green of the street you are turning into. It may seem weird and I don't even know if I'm making any sense but if this rule wasn't in place, there be heaps more accidents with Trams cas people tend to look out for other cars and forget about the on-coming trams. Plus, as any Melbournian driver in the city will tell you, its the worst feeling when you are stuck in the middle of the intersection with two trams ringing there stupid bells non-stop, threatening to ram into you, until you get out of there way!
    Jessica Hsuan + Louis Koo = Amazing Chemistry!

"มารอยู่ในจิต สวรรค์อยู่ในใจ"
    Life on Paper
    Thaitanium