Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Would any wulin man choose the Qwai Fa Bo Deen if other elite skills were available?

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    9 Yin was completely underwhelming compared to KHBD considering the reader/viewer was framed to think "Whoever gets this manual will destroy everybody easily". I know some people like to say that 9 Yin was incredible for having great healing and boosting Guo Jing to Great level in a decade, but that is underwhelming for how much it was hyped up (20-30% better than the best fighters isn't quite enough -- KHBD handled it the awesome way ).
    Are you kidding? GJ was a nobody and able to reach Great level within a decade. Without 9 yin, I don't see there is any chance for him to reach that level ever. It's unfair to compare GJ to DFBB because DFBB wasn't a beginner like GJ was. He was among the best prior to practice KHBD. A fairer comparison would be between GJ and LPZ because they both are beginner prior to practice their respective martial art. Do you think LPZ's Bixie is better than KJ's 9 yin? I personally don't think so. GJ internal energy increases gradually as he progresses. On the other hand, I don't see LPZ internal energy increases much as all.

Still, we might be able to attribute SPW to just being in a weak dynasty. Zhang Wuji dominated with 9 Yang as hard, if not harder, than DFBB did if you factor in their fighting mentality and experience and we don't really think of 9 Yang as being much better than 9 Yin. Give someone like Miejue full 9 Yang Power and let's see how much havoc she can cause!
    I don't think 9 yang is better than 9 yin. In my opinion, I think 9 yin is slightly better.

LPZ was waaaaay weaker than Guo Jing was when he started PXJF training. All he had was a few useless years of fake-PXJF from his dad, then a few months (at most) of training in Huashan style arts, mostly taught to him by Yue Lingshan!

By contrast, by the time Guo Jing started learning 9 Ying, he already had been hand-taught the full set of XL18Z by Hong Qigong, and given years of internal energy tutelage by Daoist Elder Ma Yu.

The jump for LPZ was way bigger than for Guo Jing. LPZ basically went from a level of almost zero martial arts, to a level where he simply murdered Yu Canghai+Mu Gaofeng (he was only injured cuz of a trick), probably putting him at or above pre-PXJF Yue Buqun level. By contrast, 9 Yin simply wasn't that impressive.

Other than that, I just want to say I totally agree with everything ChronoReverse said. It's been beat to death, but Qiu Chuji's comment about how he thought it would be hard for Yideng, even with the best finger arts in the world, to write on wood, and how easily Fang Zhang and Xie Feng (the beggar's sect leader) wrote on wood with their fingers with no apparent special finger skills is very telling. In addition, RWX's "heart ripping" of the elder was specifically stated to be penetrating the 'diamond armor skill' the guy was using.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

While I'm not totally against the idea that SPW elites are around Great level, I think there are some feats that LOCH greats do that are super impressive. One of them is Mei Chaofeng out of nowhere throwing a backfist at Huang Yaoshi who was right behind her at lightning speed and being totally unable to touch him as he floats away effortlessly. She is more or less the best fighter below the Greats (at least equal to Qiu Chuji imo) at that point if you count ZBT and QQR as Greats and she can't even touch Huang with a surprise attack within a foot or two. That is absurd.

I think if Yue Buqun attacked Ren Woxing or Zuo, they would exchange a few stances before completely beating him. HYS would beat those level fighters in one stance.

And Yideng's 1YZ is an acupuncture sealing technique based on internal, not an external technique so it's not completely unimaginable that other finger skills can do things he can't. I'd bet my money on Shaolin's finger technique that paralyzed Yu to be capable of doing more external things like writing on surfaces or breaking bones that 1YZ couldn't do, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better finger technique overall either.
    Last edited by tape; 08-17-13 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    HYS would beat those level fighters in one stance.
    Just want to take this opportunity to contrast this with the Golden Wheel Monk. You're welcome

-He believed he couldn't defeat Zhao Zhijing and Yin Zhiping combined without 20-30 stances.

-Couldn't outrun Li Mochou who had a baby in her hands, and Yang Guo who had injury.

-Was smacked in the back by Ma Guangzuo and didn't even see it coming.

-Thought he would lose to Ni Moxing's Elephant Tossing skill.
    Last edited by PJ; 08-29-13 at 11:54 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

One strike, one life is a lot more common in Gu Long novels than in Jin Yong's. During the fight between RWX and Fangzheng, it was stated that even RWX could not defeat Yu Canghai in one move unless he did a surprise attack.

When Zuo Lengchan and Yue Buqun dueled using orthodox Five Mountain school swordsmanship, it took Zuo a long time to gain the initiative.

I don't think any of this takes away from the great power of RWX and the other elites of the SPW era. The inner power of these SPW elites should still rival those of LOCH Greats, they have the feats to prove it.

It just means that Yu Cang Hai isn't a pushover. He's an outstanding disciple of the Qingcheng school, surpassing even his master. Qingcheng has a very ancient history and is revered in Sichuan.

Yu is at the same level as TianBoguang and Mu GaoFeng, both good fighters with a strong reputation in Wulin. Tian has excellent lightness kung fu, and he can effortlessly break a steel sword at its tip. Not a small feat at all. He's not an hand to hand practitioner , so he broke the sword purely due to superior inner power.

Muo can create an impenetrable defense with his saber, albeit at the expense of great energy expenditure. So great is his wall of blades that LPZ's fast Bixie swordplay could not enter it. It reminds me of Hei Baizi's miraculous defense with his go board, where it was said that not even a drop of water could get past it. Of course, Hei Baizi is a superior fighter than Muo, but Muo certainly deserves his wulin spanning reputation.