Thread: Never did quite understand the thing with Yellow Eyebrow Monk having odd or even toes

Default Never did quite understand the thing with Yellow Eyebrow Monk having odd or even toes

One thing I've never quite understood about DGSD was that whole thing between Deun Yin Hing and Yellow Eyebrowed Monk before their chess match betting whether the monk would have an even or odd number of toes after the monk turned seventy. I understand the purpose of the bet was to determine who would make the first move in the chess match, but there must have been an easier way (flipping a coin or something?). I never understood the point of going through all that trouble.

Flipping a coin can go either way. The coin could also be influenced by internal energy, or hit by a pebble or what not...
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

Quote Originally Posted by Ace High View Post
    Flipping a coin can go either way.
    That's sort of the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That's sort of the idea.
    That is exactly why Yellow Eyebrowed Monk came up with the odd/even toe bet. To ensure he get the first turn.
    You plant a garden and the flowers do not bloom, you poke a stick in the mud and it grows into a tree

That is exactly why Yellow Eyebrowed Monk came up with the odd/even toe bet. To ensure he get the first turn.
    DYQ could always just randomly guess (flip his own coin if he wanted to!) so the monk couldn't gain any advantage from any mind games.

And DYQ was impressed with the monk's tenacity to sacrifice one of his toe just to gain the first move advantage.

I guess they didn't have first move compensation (komi) back then...

And DYQ was impressed with the monk's tenacity to sacrifice one of his toe just to gain the first move advantage.
    The opposite, actually. It made him confident that he would win, as the other guy was willing to sacrifice a toe for just a minor advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    The opposite, actually. It made him confident that he would win, as the other guy was willing to sacrifice a toe for just a minor advantage.
    My point exactly. DYQ was impressed with the monk's sacrifice for a minor advantage, and at the same time make him confident that he will win.