Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Handsome Twins (1992) starring Andy Lau

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    Yeah, Brigitte was GREAT in the "Bride with White Hair." Though, I was shock at the passionate (and explicit) love scene between her and Leslie. Whoa, I thought HK society was quite conservative at the time.
    i was a bit shock myself but i believe it actually help their storyline - something like a fatal attraction.

i think i read that since leslie was her good friend, she (brigitte) agreed to the scene. it only took one shot if i remember reading correctly.
    ---------
    Shellie

Part of the appeal of Brigitte Lin's adrogynous portrayals may have to do with the fact that in Swordsman II the script had LHC sexually attracted to DFBB! Did Wong Jing produce that movie???
    ------

Back to the Handsome Twins. I went back and read parts of the novel. That Fishy character is one of the best wuxia characters of all time. I haven't read many of GL's works. I did read Dagger Lee, Legend of the Banner Heroes, a few books in the Lee Siu Fung series, but I like the Amazing Twins the best.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    Part of the appeal of Brigitte Lin's adrogynous portrayals may have to do with the fact that in Swordsman II the script had LHC sexually attracted to DFBB! Did Wong Jing produce that movie???
    Nope. It's Tsui Hark who produced the Swordsman Trilogy.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by bellamia View Post
    I was shock at the passionate (and explicit) love scene between her and Leslie. Whoa, I thought HK society was quite conservative at the time.
    Hollywood has always been tame compared HK to cinema in terms of gore and sex. Many martial arts movies, when imported from HK, need to be cut in order to get a R-rating.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

True. True. All the beheading in Swordsmen II and meat-slicing in Dragon Inn... wonder how I came out normal (or maybe not ).

Oh, and I'm sure the ONLY appeal of Brigitte's DFBB is Brigitte being a hot mature lady in real life. It's an entirely different matter from the sick castrated-male DFBB in the novel. That's why, it's Brigitte herself that made it all work.
    Last edited by expression; 04-28-08 at 03:18 PM.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Here's another observation which may or may not be true (I'm no expert - just a fan who likes to post ).

Many of the Shaw Brothers' HK martial arts films from the 60s, were filmed like a Western, in terms of sets and atmosphere. Wuxia and Western genres share many common elements, and since Western was popular at the time, it made sense for wuxia films to be made with a flair of Western. Yet, I think the SB movies were much more violent than the Westerns of the era. Massive blood-letting and body-slicing were obligatory pleasures. Check out Ti Lung's death in VENGEANCE (1970) and NEW ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (1971) - clearly Quentin Tarantino would have loved them. Hollywood into the late 60s was still conforming to the ultra-conservative Hays Production Code until 1968, when MPAA introduced the rating system. This means that until the late 60s, most Hollywood films were basically the equivalent of today's PG-rating -- while in HK, Shaw Brothers (the largest film studio at the time) were pushing the envelope with the release of many R-equivalent martial arts epics such as the Magnificent Trio (1966), One-Armed Swordsman (1967), and Golden Swallow (1968).
    Last edited by PJ; 04-28-08 at 06:23 PM.

You continue making observations while I continue posting pics, 'kay? We'll make this thread both intellectual and entertaining.

Finally, on-topic pics from Handsome Siblings:
    Brigitte disguised as male:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn61/expressionexp/Brigitte%20Lin/Handsome%20Siblings/HandsomeSiblingsLobby04.jpg')

dressed as female (looks like DFBB):
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn61/expressionexp/Brigitte%20Lin/Handsome%20Siblings/HandsomeSiblingsLobby06-1.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn61/expressionexp/Brigitte%20Lin/Handsome%20Siblings/HandsomeSiblingsLobby07-1.jpg')
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    You continue making observations while I continue posting pics, 'kay? We'll make this thread both intellectual and entertaining.
    Good team work!

I find it rather odd that Brigitte Lin received a HKFA Best Actress nomination for Handsome Siblings (a nonsensical movie with no extraordinary performance), but not for Ashes, Chungking, or Bride -- 3 of her best.

Did she get nominated for that? That's indeed trash! And she doesn't even look compatible with Andy!!

Guilt-ridden of kidnapping this thread, I've decided to start a new thread for pics. Still, this is Sharla Cheung Man as Madame Yi Hua (she played Andy's MOM!!):
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn61/expressionexp/Sharla%20Cheung/b1195030-1.jpg')